The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Recommend: ~$1000 computer for brother (3 displays)
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8804 posts
My older brother's computer has died and he conjured up a 3 display online poker setup in his head that he wants to create.

Can anyone recommend a system, preferably pre-built (box only) that would satisfy the requirements? I'm always out of date with the best parts, and QGL has never steered me wrong. He gave a $1000 ballpark figure, but would probably spend whatever is necessary. No gaming, only poker/multimedia/general.

Thanks in advance.
04:16pm 27/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:16pm 27/04/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6336 posts
nice. gl to him.
04:19pm 27/04/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4089 posts
Computer Alliance are always good. This one looks good for the price, $795

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/alliance-gamers-i5-desktop
04:40pm 27/04/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
717 posts
My older brother's computer has died and he conjured up a 3 display online poker setup in his head that he wants to create.Can anyone recommend a system, preferably pre-built (box only) that would satisfy the requirements? I'm always out of date with the best parts, and QGL has never steered me wrong. He gave a $1000 ballpark figure, but would probably spend whatever is necessary. No gaming, only poker/multimedia/general.Thanks in advance.

Pick up an i5, 4-8gb of DDR3, a cheap Z77 chipset mobo and a decent Radeon card (7850 is apparently an equivalent of a GTX 560 Ti, which is a solid card.) + Antec Earthwatts PSU and maybe a 2 TB sata HDD in for kicks. Slap it all in a cheap case and bam.

Should have more than enough grunt for what he needs and should be able to just swap out the gfx card / overclock the CPU a bit in the future if he needs an upgrade.

If you'd rather go the Nvidia route, you could try throwing in SLi 560's or something, but on a single card, Nvidia doesn't do tri-monitors iirc.

Computer Alliance are always good. This one looks good for the price, $795

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/alliance-gamers-i5-desktop

Not sure the 630 would handle that large a resolution (aka using 3 monitors). They're not the most powerful of cards.
04:55pm 27/04/13 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
574 posts
This was handy when I was building my last PC:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs
05:15pm 27/04/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11111 posts
regarding the three monitors...
most video cards have two dvi outputs, I think that's what you'll have to go with, and well you'll need two such video cards, so you'll need a motherboard and case that will fit two
10:46pm 27/04/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3909 posts
I thought most amd's had two dvi, two mini display ports and a hdmi these days.
10:58pm 27/04/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11112 posts
ok yeah you're right
I have a phobia about mixing video signals on adjacent screens, long story
11:02pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6854 posts
If you'd rather go the Nvidia route, you could try throwing in SLi 560's or something, but on a single card, Nvidia doesn't do tri-monitors iirc.
They do with the Kepler GPUs (so GTX 650 and up).
11:24pm 27/04/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
718 posts
They do with the Kepler GPUs (so GTX 650 and up).

Aye, figured that out after, while doing a quick bit of research on the 670 (This topic got me thinking it might be time to retire the 580 lol).
03:44am 28/04/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1485 posts
Any one ATi x870 video card from the last three generations will gladly handle 3x1920x1200 monitors and the output for all but the most intense visuals for gaming.

You should be able to manage it easily for ~$1000-1200. and if you're looking for cheap monitors, that'll be extra, but you can get the Dell 23" 'Ultrasharp' for ~$250 each on a good day, and given that they're Displayport capable (as well as DVI and D-Sub) they'll suit the application you're asking about nicely.
(My only bugbear on these monitors is that I'm not fond of the '16:9' profile of a widescreen monitor, I prefer '16:10' but to get a 16:10 IPS monitor that is DisplayPort capable, the price starts at around $500 each.)

I'm happy to field what ever questions you have regarding a triple (or more) monitor setup as there are a few 'quirks' and if you're buying older generation hardware (pre Displayport 1.2 or ATi 6xxx series cards) there are some limitations that might inhibit a straight-forward purchase, but there are simple solutions depending on what you want to do.
09:36am 28/04/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3050 posts
I just spec'd out a PC for my brother for pretty much the same thing (basic 3 monitor setup, not so much the poker).

Came up with this through Umart:-
ITEMs to Order :

CPU Intel Core i5 3570 LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge
Mobo Asrock H77-PRO4-MVP 4 x DDR3 PCI-E3.0 4 x SATA3 4 xUSB3.0 HDMI D-SubDVI-D GLAN RAID QuadCrossFireX A
RAM G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(8GBXL)
SSD Samsung 120GB SSD 840 Series SATA III 6Gbs 2xnm Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND 3-Core MDX Controller, 256MB
GFX Power Colour AX7750-2GBK3-H HD7750,2G DDR3,128Bit,800MHz,PCIE3.0,DVI,HDMI,VGA
DVD Pioneer SATA DVR220L 24X DVD Black & OEM Software
WiFi TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter
Case Antec VSK4-500 - Black Mid-Tower Case, USB 3.0, 500W APFC PSU, SGCC steel, 1x 120mm fan

TOTAL : $$780

That price includes $170 for Umart to assemble it for him so if you wanted to do it yourself you could get it even cheaper. Also you might not need the Wifi card and you might need more HDD space depending on your situation.
09:47am 28/04/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3924 posts
$170 for assembly seems very expensive.. I think I paid $80 or something last year for work machine (through Umart).
07:42pm 28/04/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1486 posts
At $610 (Assemble if for yourself if they're going to charge you 25% to have them build it) you can afford to throw some extra dosh at some worthy parts.

Ballsy video cards can be had for ~$300.
In the ATi Range, if it ends with '870' it is a decent single CPU video card.
ends with '970' it's a dual GPU model
If it ends with '90' (so 890 or 990) it's usually 'hotted up' from there, (I think the current 7990 is ~$1000+ so yeah, don't buy that one, but the 7870 is a phat card, go with a Sapphire for solid build quality IMO.)

....wait, what?
no gaming?

Sorry OP, Buy a $400 laptop and use two USB Graphics adapters.
Also, be prepared to NEVER run 1080p content on the monitors driven by the USB Graphics adapters.
07:50pm 28/04/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3052 posts
$170 for assembly seems very expensive.. I think I paid $80 or something last year for work machine (through Umart).
Yeah I dunno, I thought it was pretty expensive as well.

I just used their build your own PC web thing and then worked out the cost of the parts individually as they don't give them to you on the form, subtracted that from the total and was left with about $170 which I assume was for assemblage. With no break down of costs it's possible that doing it through their online form doesn't give you the online discount they apply to their products so it might not be their assembly fee alone that makes the price difference.
09:52pm 28/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:52pm 28/04/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.