The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
samsung galaxy s4
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
831 posts
So I picked up one of these this morning. There was only about 20 or so other nerds lining up at the queens street telstra shop.

Design and build quality seem a lot better than the s3. The 5 inch 1080p screen is really nice and will deff pull babes.

Anyone else thinking of getting one?
04:10pm 27/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:10pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21760 posts
sticking with my s3 till it dies, it does everything i want it to.
04:14pm 27/04/13 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1159 posts
Saved myself $500 and got a Nexus 4 instead.
04:15pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Vash
3718 posts
i got a HTC One and returned it after playing with it for most of the day, just wasnt worth the $700. My S3 is just fine.
04:22pm 27/04/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
832 posts
I think the step up from the s3 to s4 isn't really worth it unless you're nuts about screen quality, ppi, contrast and all that. The other features are pretty gimmicky. I mainly upgraded to go from virgin to telstra.
04:33pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1984 posts
Harvey Norman had their shipment pushed back or something from Friday to Monday at the earliest...
Of course, had I known this I would have pre-ordered from somewhere else and received it on time and cheaper.
I won't have the time to d*** around with it properly until Friday now. /:-|
lame
04:38pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5200 posts
Decided to buy this instead... does all I need it to...

http://www.mobicity.com.au/samsung-galaxy-s3-i9305-16gb.html
04:43pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
316 posts
I use a note II with a 5.55inch screen and I wouldn't go smaller now, fits in pockets fine and big enough to do serious work on
05:32pm 27/04/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
833 posts
im thinking about getting my work iphone 4 upgraded to an S4 (have a choice between s4 or iphone 5).The 5" screen is a bit of a worry

I can't stand the iphone size screen now. Seems tiny.

Because the phone is so thin it really isn't noticeable in the pocket. The screen size would only be a problem if you are one handed and have a small hand. Once you go 5inches, you don't go back
05:39pm 27/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2920 posts
im thinking about getting my work iphone 4 upgraded to an S4 (have a choice between s4 or iphone 5).The 5" screen is a bit of a worry, how does it fit in your pockets with anything else?and how do you use it single handed without getting an rsi? (iphone 5 is even getting too big in the vertical)Currently im so fed up with trying to use itunes that i've resorted to carrying a second, android phone just so i can simply put music on an sd card and whack it in. itunes could be the sole reason I can't stand the iphone and would never buy one for personal use.

The wonders of being able to use your phone however you want! After having moved from an iPhone a year ago it still amazes me that I can wake up in the morning, chuck tv/podcast/whatever straight onto my phone and open it. It friggin just works!

Nothing like catching up on some tv on the bus with the video overlayed while you do your morning emails/texts/browsing. Thanks big 4.65' screen! (On a galaxy nexus).
05:55pm 27/04/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3920 posts
i got a HTC One and returned it after playing with it for most of the day, just wasnt worth the $700. My S3 is just fine.

how do you return phones? didn't know you could return based on "meh didn't like it".

Also I have a lumia 920, had it for a couple months now and unfortunately prefer iphones. They feel better in the hand and more intuitive, for me anyway. Smaller screen size doesn't bother me much.

Might get rid of the lumia and try S4.. Never had a samsung phone.
06:21pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35600 posts
iphones are definately better for the technically spazzy types
06:46pm 27/04/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3921 posts
yeah definitely
06:51pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1995 posts
Yeah I want to move from iPhone 4S to something else, I was worried about the screen size though.. it does seem a lot bigger and I definitely don't want a fablet.

I was thinking Nexus 4, HTC One or Samsung S4. The Nexus 4 is probably best size wise.
06:53pm 27/04/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7554 posts
Anyone else thinking of getting one?

Was thinking of getting one through Telstra as I'm out of contract now, but might wait a week or two to see if there are any reported major physical/hardware problems (LCD issues, reception problems, etc) and if the software is stable. Don't really see the point of getting stuff on Day 0 ...
07:36pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21761 posts
I think the step up from the s3 to s4 isn't really worth it unless you're nuts about screen quality, ppi, contrast and all that. The other features are pretty gimmicky. I mainly upgraded to go from virgin to telstra.

is why I buy outright, if i want to change provider I can and I can do it at any time I damn well please.
07:48pm 27/04/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9093 posts
I still have until next year before I can move phones on my plan so I'd have to buy it outright. How much is the S4 compared to S3? Thinking of just getting S3, while hovering is cool its pretty meh.
07:34am 28/04/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3923 posts
With the S4, can you do group messaging?
07:46am 28/04/13 Permalink
Ha
139 posts
what could i do on an s4 that i couldn't do on my s2 that would be worth the price tag?
08:17am 28/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21763 posts
With the S4, can you do group messaging?

s3 can so presumably so could the s4
what could i do on an s4 that i couldn't do on my s2 that would be worth the price tag?

I think that's one of those "if you have to ask, you don't need it" questions.
08:31am 28/04/13 Permalink
Ha
140 posts
I think that's one of those "if you have to ask, you don't need it" questions.

ok. what could anyone do on an s4 that you couldn't do on an s2 that would be worth the price tag?
08:50am 28/04/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1348 posts
I'm still running my HTC Desire S, does everything I need my contract runs out in July so I'll see what's around then I am liking the Nexus
08:52am 28/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6513 posts
ok. what could anyone do on an s4 that you couldn't do on an s2 that would be worth the price tag?

Look cooler than you.

Replace their dead s2.

Watch something 1080p and enjoy the scrensize+dpi+colour improvement but they're so rich they don't really care about 500 dollar difference between them.

Its incremental upgrades with some fancy one use UI stuff that touchwiz gives which makes it seem cool. Things like pausing when you look away from the phone (eye tracking).

All that UI stuff is lost to me instantly as i prefer AOSP roms. I would freaking hate anything that pauses video because I looked away. I'd never get anything watched if that was the case..

Edit: I'm kind of the skip a generation of phones kind of guy. There was a big upgrade between s1 and s3 so i got an s3. There was less of a difference between s2 and s4 though. The biggest change was dualcore and much larger ram allocation between s1 and s2. The lack of RAM on the s1 caused for some interesting ROMs to allocate faster page file memory from the system flash space though. Kind of cool to see a community make adjustments to try and compensate for a huge oversight from samsung.
10:46am 28/04/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9094 posts
Is the S4 the first 1080p mobile device or did the S3 do it as well?
04:47pm 28/04/13 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
392 posts
sticking with my s2 till it dies, it does everything i want it to.
05:00pm 28/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21766 posts
how does it go in full midday sun? I can just read my s3 in full sun, no shade, middle of summer sunlight.

I wonder how long until s4's start to show up dead because of buggy MMC chips. lolz.
05:03pm 28/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8578 posts
If anyone does get one, don't get it through Kogan or other grey importers .. it it f**** up and you need to get it fixed under warranty, you're in for a world of hurt.

Currently going through it with my S3 :(
05:45pm 28/04/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5941 posts

SGS4 is 1080x1920, SGS3 is 720x1280
05:45pm 28/04/13 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
1333 posts
If anyone does get one, don't get it through Kogan or other grey importers .. it it f***s up and you need to get it fixed under warranty, you're in for a world of hurt.

Currently going through it with my S3 :(

Do tell, I was planning on buying an s3 4g through kogan...
05:57pm 28/04/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
834 posts
how does it go in full midday sun? .

Fairly similar to the s3
06:01pm 28/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8579 posts

Do tell, I was planning on buying an s3 4g through kogan...

Samsung won't cover it. You're left to dealing with Kogan and after my first contact with them on the 4th April I now have to take a video of my phone not booting up for it to progress to them actually accepting it for warranty repair.

(Samsung not covering it was a fairly significant disappointment.. will make me not buy through a grey importer again)
06:42pm 28/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6515 posts
Samsung won't cover it. You're left to dealing with Kogan and after my first contact with them on the 4th April I now have to take a video of my phone not booting up for it to progress to them actually accepting it for warranty repair.(Samsung not covering it was a fairly significant disappointment.. will make me not buy through a grey importer again)

what's wrong with it? have you tried a 201k ohm jumper between pins (iirc) 1+4 on the micro usb port?

Should put it into download mode.. I made my own when i had trouble with my SGS1 being bricked (bad flash) but the download mode + flash of stock fw got it back to life.

I cut a micro usb cable up to do the job but that same night i bought some off ebay that were more.. reliable should it happen in the future (aka like this.)

Edit: It was a while ago and my details are wrong a quick google says

So there you go, i had spare electronics in my home so i just twisted a few together in series to total that 301k ohm mark.

This doesn't just work with samsung phones either, it's actually kind of popular. If you change the resistance to another mark, it'll put the phone into dock mode/car mode. In a standard fullsize usb they only have 4 pins, but micro/mini has 5. So you end up with pin 4 being used for all kinds of odd combinations.
10:02pm 28/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21767 posts
orly, so if I mod my USB power cable I have in the car, I could make it a car dock cable? *rubs hands maliciously* muahahahahahaha
what's wrong with it?
if it's SDS it'll need a new board apparently
11:04pm 28/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8580 posts
skythra it's got SDS, basically put it on charge and it became unresponsive. Won't turn on, no LEDs on the top, etc. Seems a fairly common problem that was fixed with a software update that I didn't apply in time.
11:39pm 28/04/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5822 posts
I was looking to buy an S2 but theyre expensive second hand. About $250. What
12:03am 29/04/13 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
15595 posts
I've only recently (5 weeks~) upgraded to a Nexus 4, from a sweet Nokia.

Must say that I'm loving it -- and at that price-point (8gb - $349), really hard to beat.
12:22am 29/04/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10560 posts
Ticman is right - I've had a similar horrible experience with Kogan. Customer service is almost non existent, and an attitude that you're wrong from the outset.

Why are the S2's still so expensive? Because the improvements between models has diminished every time. The improvement between S1 and S2 was huge.
Posting from an S1 :/
08:04am 29/04/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10560 posts
double poast
08:04am 29/04/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2588 posts

Neither, S3 was 720p and there were at least a couple of 1080p smartphones released before the S4 (HTC Butterfly and Sony Xperia Z).
08:37am 29/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2921 posts
I was looking to buy an S2 but theyre expensive second hand. About $250. What

The most unsung hero in the 2nd hand market is the galaxy nexus. Ou can pick one up for a bit over 100 on eBay and its top notch.
10:59am 29/04/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5824 posts
The most unsung hero in the 2nd hand market is the galaxy nexus. Ou can pick one up for a bit over 100 on eBay and its top notch.

Love you this much. Thank you!
11:36am 29/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2922 posts
No worries.

I don't even get why people bother selling them for so little. I'm using one right now and because it's a nexus I can use it until it gets run into the ground. CPU/RAM is still pretty good compared to the market atm, screen is good, and the battery is replaceable so after 2 years when the battery life starts going crappy I can replace it with a $5 one from eBay.

I'm going to try and use it for as long as I can but I don't know if I can stay away from new shinies next year.
03:11pm 29/04/13 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1985 posts
So Harvey Norman at Carindale guaranteed me when I spoke to their staff over the phone last Monday, that pre-ordered GS4's would be available on Saturday to be picked up, as they would be receiving stock Friday.
I called Saturday morning to make sure that they had them before I went in. The guy I spoke to said that the phones have been pushed back until Monday as stock was delayed and won't arrive until Sunday afternoon.

I called again this morning and I was told that the only phones available are for the optus plans and that the out-right GS4s have an unknown release date. What's more he told me that he can guarantee that his store will be the first in Brisbane to sell the phones out-right...

I ended up calling JB-Hifi at Carindale and he said that they didn't have stock in yet, but that they were expecting it today. He asked if he could take my number and call me as soon as the stock arrived. Maybe 5 mins after I hang up he calls me back and tells me they are here and ready to go, but hurry as he can't hold them for me and they only have 15 (plus 2 more for the rest of South-East QLD).

I went around and he served me straight away and not only that, sold me the phone for $720, but with an $80 Telstra 4G no lock-in plan. I can bail out of the plan at any time, even right now and spend no more than simply the cost of the plan divided by the number of days passed (so like $2.60 for just today). He also threw in another free phone, (locked to telstra though) a "Telstra Urbane". A simple Android phone with a 3mp camera.

Very pleased with the price and service, the guy was a pleasure to chat with. Much better experience then HN.

EDIT: 4G coverage has been spotty, but when you do connect, the speed is INSANE. Downloaded at 7.7mb/s and uploaded at 5. Ping was 39ms to Telstra. Nice
03:25pm 29/04/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2411 posts
04:46pm 29/04/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9095 posts
Let me know how it plays Lynx as I'll be needing a new phone very soon with the way this darn Lumia 900 is going. It doesn't charge as well anymore (spotty with the cable), the battery barely holds more than 12 hours worth of battery on standby and it is now rebooting every 20 minutes which is causing missed calls and messages.

I'll either just get an S4 outright or go for an S3 or Nexus 4, depending on what convinces me the most.
05:05pm 29/04/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3975 posts
blackberry eorl, you rarely hear of blackberry battery issues (the new z10 looks quite good imo)
http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_z10-5251.php
05:26pm 29/04/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
837 posts
blackberry eorl, you rarely hear of blackberry battery issues (the new z10 looks quite good imo)

Yeah these are pretty good too

http://www.imobile.com.au/images/phone_reviews/nokia_3315/3315_01_large.jpg
05:54pm 29/04/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3977 posts
nar, too hard to get covers for now DK
06:15pm 29/04/13 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1986 posts
@Rdizz
Honestly, I am disappointed in myself. Felt like an idiot for bothering with them this morning.
Originally I was going to buy from mobicity, but I went with Harvey Norman for the low price, the free SD card and generally I rathered just go to location and pick it up in person instead of having to wait like a week for post...well, look how that turned out.

Ended up getting a Samsung UH-1 32GB microSD card from MSY for $31 on the way home.
Rated at up to 42-48ish?? MBit/s.

@Eorl
The phone is great but I can see myself putting CM on it eventually. Touchwiz isn't as bad as people say, but vanilla is better. I just want to make sure that some of the fancy features that Samsung have included, can be brought over into a new firmware first. Some of the S stuff barely works or is just a pain (Smart Scroll), others work quite well and are a welcome addition (Smart Stay). Turn those things off then they aren't an issue.

Unless you NEED the latest and greatest, get a Nexus 4. Less then half the price and has everything you need. If lack of speed ever becomes an issue, upgrade. You'll still have spent less money on two phones then one S4.
09:24pm 29/04/13 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
1052 posts
So excited that they're available now! I'm going to get one soon as my employer gives us $600 every two years for a new smartphone. I got a Blackberry Torch in 2011 when work didn't support android devices but now that they do, I'm totally going down that road.
09:27pm 29/04/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10349 posts
I've had the Sony Xperia Z for about 2 months now. No complaints and it looks awesome. Pretty much was the reason I decided to get it over the HTC ONE and S4.
09:28pm 29/04/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9096 posts
blackberry eorl, you rarely hear of blackberry battery issues (the new z10 looks quite good imo) http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_z10-5251.php

I think I'll stick to modern phones, though I hear corded phones are all the rave.
@EorlThe phone is great but I can see myself putting CM on it eventually. Touchwiz isn't as bad as people say, but vanilla is better. I just want to make sure that some of the fancy features that Samsung have included, can be brought over into a new firmware first. Some of the S stuff barely works or is just a pain (Smart Scroll), others work quite well and are a welcome addition (Smart Stay). Turn those things off then they aren't an issue.Unless you NEED the latest and greatest, get a Nexus 4. Less then half the price and has everything you need. If lack of speed ever becomes an issue, upgrade. You'll still have spent less money on two phones then one S4.
Yeah it is looking I'll either get the S3 or Nexus 4, just depends which one I can get cheaper. While I love new technology, the only interesting thing that jumps out at me is the hover input but that isn't worth $800.
10:41pm 29/04/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5776 posts
It was a difficult debate for me but I ended up picking up a note2 because I wanted a larger screen size.
07:25am 30/04/13 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7670 posts
Keep in mind, the HTC one is very very similar to the S4, but metal...

I was tempted... but I think I should really stick to a nexus. Hanging out for Nexus 4.1 (supposedly released at I/O in MAY with LTE).

07:42am 30/04/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11853 posts

Something which bugged me about the Galaxy S3 was that you couldn't just plug it in on a machine and enable disk mode (something to do with those media import modes) without Keiz or whatever they call it. On a Mac you had do download that app from android.com. Maybe I was just doing something wrong but it bugged me.
08:26am 30/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8581 posts
Same thing on the Nexus, I think Android changed the file format in Jellybean or something.
08:35am 30/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6517 posts
It's maybe not disk mode, but it's fine to just pull it out when you are finished copying, no safety remove device with usb caching to mess up your datas. Also i'm getting faster than 10mb/s copies under MTP.

Not like it stops you using it like a flash disk, just is a bit of a d*** with how windows does the file handling "Are you sure you want to copy this? the device might not play it!!!!!" it can, and don't prompt me b****.
09:30am 30/04/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11854 posts

MTP that's it. S**** me to tears. Is it possible to just rock up to any Windows box and use the S4 in MTP mode without drivers?
09:32am 30/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6519 posts
http://www.ausforums.com/images/icon7.gifMTP that's it. S**** me to tears. Is it possible to just rock up to any Windows box and use the S4 in MTP mode without drivers?

It's possible to do this with the S3? I'm not sure what the hate is other than windows deciding that it needs to pretend it's a music device despite putting on any media/document/giant file i decide. Transfer speeds are blazing fast and it's secure (ie: plugging it in the old way as a usb disk, meant even when the screen was locked the filesystem was accessible. With MTP if someone grabs my phone they can't get my details without figuring out my 6 pointed broken star shape or 5 digit pin).
09:39am 30/04/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11855 posts

Well...the hate for me was every Windows device I plug it into didn't detect it as a media device. Until I installed the Samsung drivers. Unless I did something wrong with the S3. MTP sounds fine, I'm wondering if its possible to get it working without driver installs. So at work, I won't need to install drivers to mount and add photos. Probably a bit off topic now :)
02:33pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
1129 posts
Upgrading from an S2 and ordered my S4 yesterday, Virgin says it will be here eventually :)

S2 has been awesome, still looks brand new, never dropped, never anythinged - will have to try and sell it now that its free of contract / unlocked etc

Still think the best app i have seen from any phone is Swype!

Seriously... phones... phone people, text people... every thing else is a bonus. But Swype is a huge improvement on one of the core functions, cant believe more people aren't on it :)
03:12pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11856 posts

Swype just went from beta testing to being available on the Play store about a week ago. I think most people probably hadn't touched the app because you needed to side load it.
03:33pm 30/04/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3984 posts
most newish androids have swype (or a swype like ap) already inbuild

my sony xperia s has it and is great, that said I cant stand typing on an iphone, or even lesser androids
03:38pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4175 posts
Samsung dont ship swype anymore, they have a s***** built-in clone thereof

Get the real thing, or SwiftKey Flow.
03:43pm 30/04/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3985 posts
that is pretty poor form from samsung,
03:45pm 30/04/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10562 posts
Yeah agamemnon is right, swype is what sold me on android, it is just the best. Almost worth the loss of tactile keys.
Posted with Swype™
05:00pm 30/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2930 posts
Keyboard wars!

Swiftkey = best best keyboard ever ever.

Only way to improve it is to give it more options that arent hidden "under" the app.
05:07pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13831 posts
So half the S4's storage (16Gb model) is stolen by preloaded s*** that you can't uninstall?

http://bgr.com/2013/04/29/16gb-galaxy-s4-internal-storage-473208/

Samsung, wtf you doing? Isn't Android the lean and mean OS thingy?
05:44pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21775 posts
Samsung dont ship swype anymore, they have a s***** built-in clone thereofGet the real thing, or SwiftKey Flow.

Still uses the same prediction service though. I got this message when I first used the samsung keyboard:
http://i.imgur.com/w7sjkDr.jpg

The privacy statement takes you off to swiftkey. Needless to say I turned that s*** off, disabled the samsung keyboard, rooted the phone and f*****g deleted it. Sending my credit card number off to some random internet server for "better text prediction"? lolwut? no!
05:51pm 30/04/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
838 posts
You can pick up a 32gb expansion card for 30 bucks
05:52pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21776 posts
Samsung, wtf you doing? Isn't Android the lean and mean OS thingy?
I know right!? I only wish someone would figure out a way to remove stuff you don't want, or to install custom firmware or something. Let's start a petition.
05:56pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2412 posts
The privacy statement takes you off to swiftkey. Needless to say I turned that s*** off, disabled the samsung keyboard, rooted the phone and f*****g deleted it. Sending my credit card number off to some random internet server for "better text prediction"? lolwut? no!

I did the same.
06:14pm 30/04/13 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1161 posts
Swype came stock with my Galaxy S from years ago - any ideas why Samsung didn't continue it until now?
06:26pm 30/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2931 posts
because they had a major update of their own keyboard with jellybean.
06:35pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13832 posts
I know right!? I only wish someone would figure out a way to remove stuff you don't want, or to install custom firmware or something. Let's start a petition.

Apparently the preloaded s*** can't be removed without installing custom ROMs.

I dunno, just seems like loading up an Android phone with s***loads of bloat is a violation of some moral code somewhere..
08:09pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
1130 posts
I noticed that the current version of the software in my S2 had refreshed (read cleaned out) my Swype dictionary - not a biggie until i realised that it wasnt adding new words to the dictionary

I read somewhere that to get around it i would have to go to the swype page or something and that seriously s*** me to tears

Samsung's (sic) best app and they arent natively keeping to a current version?

I havent used swiftkey but why should i change from Swype?
08:42pm 30/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2933 posts
I dunno, just seems like loading up an Android phone with s***loads of bloat is a violation of some moral code somewhere..

I think the best thing is that there is always that option, which is the Google Nexus line. Sadly a lot of people's first android experience get tarnished by the bloat (that said, some people like the "features") and sort of never look at it again. And because other phones get about 10x more advertising then any Nexus phone a lot of people miss out on the "pure" experience.

I'm probably bias but I think if the situation was reversed and a pure android experience was the norm and the addons from htc/samsung etc was the exception then I think android would have a larger uptake. Not to mention it is because of this customisation that there is so much fragmentation with the OS. People still running gingerbread because their phones will never get an OTA update.
10:17pm 30/04/13 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7245 posts
Dropped my Nexus 4 without any case like 4 times already and hardly a scratch. This thing is durable and sexy and i'm loving it!
11:29pm 30/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2935 posts

Tbh I've only ever tried smartkeyboard before going to swiftkey. From day 1 i never used the android keyboard because it didn't (and still doesn't) allow me to use the enter key in my messages.

I've just found swiftkey to have such awesome predictions and negates so many of my errors. The only other keyboard prediction that has come close is the iOS one.
12:39am 01/05/13 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7246 posts
Yeah the prediction is awesome, even in arabic!

Though i do find swiftkey sometimes is a bit slow and can't keep up with my typing. Anyone else experiencing that as well?
11:42am 01/05/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
963 posts

Swiftkey predicts the next word correctly after the one you've just typed about half of the time. Sometimes if it's a phrase you use a lot it will predict the sentence.
12:40pm 01/05/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6522 posts
Swiftkey predicts the next word correctly after the one you've just typed about half of the time. Sometimes if it's a phrase you use a lot it will predict the sentence.

Have you used swype? It does this too. Except it does it with better accuracy of the initial word you blurrily make circles around.

Which one holds the world record for fastest message typing?

Oh yeah it's swype. Not switkey.
12:54pm 01/05/13 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
15596 posts
The swype style typing thats built into the Nexus 4 is really awesome :)

Have not used Swype, but I just looked at some vids and it looked kind of clunky -- might just be the phone it was displayed on though.
11:18pm 01/05/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8585 posts
Well Kogan finally accepted to take my phone back and will give a full refund (strange they aren't going to repair it).. so now it's back to phone shopping! Probably will get an S4 but just need to find someone that will sell a non-international model.
11:24pm 01/05/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1358 posts
Yeah the prediction is awesome, even in arabic!Though i do find swiftkey sometimes is a bit slow and can't keep up with my typing. Anyone else experiencing that as well?

You're either typing very fast or something else is wrong, is it configured to your typing style correctly? Swiftkey works fantastic on my Desire S and i love the Flow feature that it was updated with a couple of months ago.
04:47pm 02/05/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
839 posts
I'm having fun with the IR blaster. Changing the tv channel in the pub.
05:18pm 02/05/13 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3929 posts
I'm having fun with the IR blaster. Changing the tv channel in the pub.

serious? That's funny as hell, should discreetly change it to some girly show for s**** and giggles.
05:47pm 02/05/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8591 posts
I picked mine up from JB yesterday for $778 outright. It's good, very good in fact. Noticeable performance increase over the S3 and it also feels lighter. Screen size is large and the video/photo quality is pretty good.

Some annoyances I've found though;

- Can't modify the bottom hot bar.
- Can't seem to share photos to Gmail from the Gallery. You can create a new email and attach but no "share via" option.
- Changes to the way you edit the home screens was irritating to discover (creating folder, moving icons, etc).
- Eye/hand scroll thing seems to be a bit of a gimmick.
11:14am 04/05/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9141 posts
I think I'll just end up grabbing an S3, Kogan has the 16GB 4G black model for $379 now thanks to S4 launch.
11:35am 04/05/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5778 posts
Anyone got a reliable source for decent micro sd card class 6 / 10 that are not counterfeit ebay s***e
12:52pm 04/05/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
840 posts
Try a custom launcher ticman. You could set up Nova launcher to look like touch wiz.

After some use it is a fair bit better than the s3
12:53pm 04/05/13 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3372 posts
Had my first feel of this beast last night. I look forward to getting one with telstra in one month when my optus contract ends.

Lovely piece of technology.
01:55pm 04/05/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7555 posts
Tried out the S4 at the telstra store today, as I've been expecting to buy it to replace my S2. Not exactly the snappiest phone / UI ... meanwhile the HTC One with slower processor feels 200% faster at doing everything, out of the box.

Given the S4 also can't seem to render pure whites, and that the 4MP HTC One camera is especially designed with big pixels for good low light performance, I might actually consider the HTC One.

Comparison of S4 and HTC one camera pics:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/22096/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-camera
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/phone-camera-shootout-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-vs-iphone-5-vs-lumia-920/

Have a look at the dark scenes. The S4 can't seem to capture anything!
03:48pm 04/05/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8592 posts
The HTC One does perform better in low light but how often will that happen? When you have decent lighting the S4, Nexus, iPhone, Lumia 920, etc s*** on the HTC One for photo quality.

Not sure what was up with the demo you tried, the S4 I've got is bloody quick - noticeable faster than the S3 and leaves wifeys 4S to shame.

Side note, skimming through the HTC One gallery on the demo at JB yesterday, someone decided to take a couple of screen grabs of redtube playing a movie - hilarity ensured.
04:26pm 04/05/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7556 posts
The HTC One does perform better in low light but how often will that happen?

I know the photos showed an exaggerated low-light scene, but a low-light scenario occurs anytime people take photos indoors during the day, or anywhere at night. Which is about 50% of the time. Should also allow a shorter exposure under moderate / good light, so less blurring of the subject of the photo if it is moving.

In my experience buying handheld / DSLR cameras and phones over the years, the camera with the most relative light gathering ability and lower MP count usually wins out for average use- assuming all else is comparable and the rest of the sensor / processing isn't crap. So sick of trying to take a photo indoors (even during the day), only to get a blurry, dark mess.
Not sure what was up with the demo you tried, the S4 I've got is bloody quick

Nah the relative slowness of the S4's menu transitions / app loading compared to the HTC One pretty much correlates with what I've been reading on the net over the last week. I know you can disable / reduce some of the transition effects, but from what I can tell it can't get rid of the overall laggy feeling. It just felt off, in exactly the same way people described.
someone decided to take a couple of screen grabs of redtube playing a movie - hilarity ensured.

lol, quite a change to the useless crap I see people looked up in the browser histories.
05:02pm 04/05/13 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
841 posts
I must admit the low light shots with the s4 are terrible. Tried to get a photo of the view city last night from eagle street. Looked s***
05:17pm 04/05/13 Permalink
cicala
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
The Galaxy S2 (i9100, international version) is an amazing product, although the S3 was more like a experiment leading up to the S4, the S4 shares the same hype as the S2...

It's like how the S2 improved on the original Galaxy and the S4 improved the S3...
08:57am 08/07/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:57am 08/07/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.