The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Computer halp
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17925 posts
Last night we had a power out not sure what time or how long

Anyway i go to my pc just now and there is nothing on the screen it is off but the fans in the case are all running the power light is on etc

So i press the reset button and nothing happens at first but then the screen turns on for a few seconds and shuts off again. So i press and hold the power button down and the fans slow down for a bit but then continue on

I take the power cable out of the psu and it all shuts down and i left that without the power cable in for a couple of minutes and come back put the power cable back in and all the fans fire up again straight away and it is as it was completely unresponsive

I'm leaning towards mother board being f***ed

Also yes i have a surge protection board that it is plugged into
06:44pm 14/03/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:44pm 14/03/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35334 posts
doesnt sound good bro;

unplug from mains, pop your case open and reseat everything.

grab your mobo manual and find out how to do a cmos reset and do that as well;

plug back in and see what happens.

does sound like mobo be gawn.
06:50pm 14/03/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35335 posts
unplug all usb stuff from pc too
06:54pm 14/03/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17926 posts
so i unplugged it for like 10 mins and then came back and gave it another shot

i plug the power supply plug back in (all fans turn on again, wtf)

i hit the power button and hold it in for a bit next thing the screen turns on and it boots up

f***ed if i know
06:57pm 14/03/13 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1437 posts
instead of turning it off for ten minutes, you can just unplug the power cord then press the power button on the PC, that should drain out any remaining charge.

Sounds like something is building up a charge and then shorting out.
07:21pm 14/03/13 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
2136 posts
your mobo is f***ed

deal with it
07:44pm 14/03/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17927 posts
well it's working now as per previous post, you hardcore c***
07:46pm 14/03/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9937 posts
sounds like you had a brown out.

back up your data

Also yes i have a surge protection board that it is plugged into

surge boards filter power fluctuations that can damage your equipment, though they're no replacement for a UPS during a brown out. That said, some power supplies certainly can hold charge sufficiently during such an event. I was ever so plussed when my Corsair TX750 kept my gaming rig powering on during this summer's s***** weather, yet the lights/wifey's PC/TV/etc blanked out. Still, your PSU took a serious hit when that happened.

I really should get another UPS here for my rig. They don't cost a fortune anymore, and many have surge protection built in.

*edit*

I bought one of these some time ago, though it's worn out now. I really should get another one, especially since the batteries are cheap to buy online
08:43pm 14/03/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
10000 posts
I hate blackouts.
Brown outs though can be worse.

Why not take the oppertunity to take out teh cards and clean them and clear out any dust on the fans. Reseat the RAM.

A clean PC runs best.

09:50pm 14/03/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9961 posts
Brownouts are destroy fridges.

However here I am going to blame SSDs, even if you don't have an SSD ...
10:10pm 14/03/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
579 posts
Aliens.

$10 says it was aliens.
10:51pm 14/03/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9964 posts
Crop circles or die!
10:54pm 14/03/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3847 posts
It had been ten days since the operation. The skin around the entry point was healing nicely but that night it was starting to sting. Forcing myself out of bed and stumbling down the hall towards the bathroom in search of a couple of pain relief tablets I caught sight of myself in the mirror. Taking a step back and twisting to face the mirror I watched my face. My face. What was wrong with my face? An insect leg was hanging from inside the plaster that covered the deep gash where the surgeon had performed his work. The leg wriggled. I screamed. I grabbed at the leg and pulled. Pain. The plaster lifted and with the kicking leg I pulled a c***roach out. Throwing up on myself was accompanied by a sharp pain in my gentleman's sausage. Looking down and pulling aside my gown I prepared myself for the worse. A shiny, black c***roach head was peeping out. I screamed and swooned, but something about it also excited me. I grew semi hard. The c***roach head disappeared 'inside'. Panic reared as I grabbed my pulsating bratwurst. Not sure what I was doing I began pleasuring myself. Getting closer, and closer I felt the c***roach moving, wow. Like the exploding canon of Edinburgh castle I shot. The c***roach shot from inside me covered in semen, bouncing off the wall. I may have imagined it but I'm sure it shook its head as it crawled away. I watched it leave my house and head next door. The curtain blew gently in the wind and I watched the covered roach crawl into the neighbours computer. A slight puff of smoke and a very faint crackle later I knew my friend had destroyed it. I didn't care, my only thought was where to find another one.
12:08am 15/03/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21551 posts
Aliens.$10 says it was aliens.
http://i.imgur.com/UGaSd.jpg
12:58am 15/03/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9940 posts
Brownouts are destroy fridges.

However here I am going to blame SSDs, even if you don't have an SSD ...

I am hating it too atm...

I like my Crucial, but atm Intel owns all. I've a jist of the tech and can see why it will go one way or the other, though I can't offer a cheaper solution for Intel SSDs currently for our servers :(

( for newer readers - I am not a fan of AMD tech currently )
01:01am 15/03/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8172 posts
Intel 520 +1
02:31am 15/03/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7757 posts
09:21am 15/03/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8820 posts
mental, same thing happened to me!
09:49am 15/03/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:49am 15/03/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.