The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Can anyone recommend me a new phone #98349623476
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1166 posts
So my SGS2 dropped no more than 500mm last night, onto carpet, and the now screen is fooked. Shame cause I loved that phone and didn't wanna upgrade for a while still.

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting the Nexus4 (from google) but unsure if I should look at other android phones such as the S3. What are you guys using now? And would you recommend it?
09:23am 04/03/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:23am 04/03/13 Permalink
Merky007
Brisbane, Queensland
470 posts
I've just ordered one of these:

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/lg-optimus-4x-hd-p880-black-android-phone/

tegra 3 quad core processor, 1gb ram, 4.7" 1280 x 720 IPS screen. for $339 will update when i actually get my phone :P
09:39am 04/03/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1167 posts
Thats looks quite nice actually. I don't know much about CPUs for phones - is that one of that better ones around? Would there be much of a difference between that and my old SGS2 in regards to performance?
09:45am 04/03/13 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7654 posts
As far as speed goes, I'd expect the Nexus 4 would be the fastest phone around. Tegra 3 is reasonable, not its not express.

HTC One or SGSIV are both going to be available in the not TOO distant future if you wanted to wait a while.
09:56am 04/03/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1168 posts
Cheers mongie.

Yeah I initially waiting for the SGSIV to then consider an upgrade but know without a phone I don't know if I can wait haha.
10:01am 04/03/13 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6303 posts
I'm thinking about getting a Sony Xperia phone prolly an "S". Does anyone have one of these and what do they think of them compared to Samdung and Nokia android phones?
10:10am 04/03/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6446 posts
So my SGS2 dropped no more than 500mm last night, onto carpet, and the now screen is fooked.?

It's only 100 dollars to replace glass, less than 200 to replace screen+glass (ie if it doesn't respond or dead pixel lines etc).

If it's the screen, a new phone might be worth it but i dunno if you really like it why upgrade.. s2 is still pretty quick even though it's old it had enough ram and the dual core was enough to switch apps well.
10:46am 04/03/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13375 posts
Instructions to replace Screen: Here

Buy a new Screen from Ebay Seller For $93 comes with tools.

10:54am 04/03/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1169 posts
It's only 100 dollars to replace glass, less than 200 to replace screen+glass (ie if it doesn't respond or dead pixel lines etc).If it's the screen, a new phone might be worth it but i dunno if you really like it why upgrade.. s2 is still pretty quick even though it's old it had enough ram and the dual core was enough to switch apps well.

Unfortunately in my case its not the glass - its actually the display. Looks kinda like this, but worse:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ilqRUIV9wyk/Tct2IBqZaYI/AAAAAAAAFzI/RJKpc90lN4A/s1600/broken-laptop-lcd-screen .jpg

I really didn't want to upgrade as I loved the phone and you're dead right - its still very fast and does everything I need (and more). But spending ~$200 to on a 2 year old device is a little hard to justify.

edit:

Thanks Tollaz0r! - I'll have a proper read shortly but that states it is the "Front Screen Digitizer" which I'm assuming (perhaps stupidly) is no good to me as its my actual display.
10:55am 04/03/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6448 posts
Ah yeah, i agree with it being hard to justify the two hundred on an old phone which might only last another 6 months anyway. I replaced the screen on my samsung omnia i900 way back before i had an iphone 3 and that was a pretty fun experience. Yeah the digitizer is the touch stuff. :) You'll need the whole LCD + digitizer which isn't that expensive from a quick google;
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-100-original-for-Samsung-i9100-Galaxy-S2-LCD-with-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Assembly-black/573408005.html
11:18am 04/03/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1170 posts
Yea, I thought so. Cheers skythra.

I really like the Nexus - the only thing making me hesitant is the fact it doesn't have expandable memory. 16gb is not really that much I fear.
12:04pm 04/03/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7715 posts
So my SGS2 dropped no more than 500mm last night, onto carpet, and the now screen is fooked. Shame cause I loved that phone and didn't wanna upgrade for a while still.

Take it back and inform them that it doesn't meet Australian standards. A phone sold in Australia needs to be be able to withstand a drop from waist height (~110cm) without damage.
What, people don't know their consumer rights?
01:46pm 04/03/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1171 posts
Take it back and inform them that it doesn't meet Australian standards. A phone sold in Australia needs to be be able to withstand a drop from waist height (~110cm) without damage.

No, I really don't to be honest. Where is the best resource to keep up to date with this kind of stuff?

Not sure if it would apply in this case though as I had previously dropped it from much higher in the past without issue. I think it was just once too many. Bought it from Kogan - might contact them mentioning this and see what they say though.
01:52pm 04/03/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6450 posts

Not to sound rude, but where is this information?
05:33pm 04/03/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7219 posts
sounds like bulls***. if that were the case then apple would be obliged to replace or refund every single iphone.
05:47pm 04/03/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21492 posts

You can drop things from great heights and have them survive, only to break when it falls out of your pocket when you sit down in the car. Height isn't the only factor in what makes things break. Also depends how old the screen is and if it's got any chips / scratches in it already, weakening it.
06:33pm 04/03/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35274 posts
06:40pm 04/03/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6451 posts
hahaha it looks like the last gen docomo/japanese style android phone.. current ones don't have physical buttons mostly, just the AOSP style 3 contextual buttons
10:15pm 04/03/13 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9052 posts
Take it back and inform them that it doesn't meet Australian standards.

And get laughed at.

A phone sold in Australia needs to be be able to withstand a drop from waist height (~110cm) without damage.

Sauce or GTFO.

Your consumer rights are to have a phone that's free from manufacturing defects for a "reasonable period of time" which cannot be waived and are statutory in nature. Your rights aren't to getting stuff for free because you're clumsy as s***.

So again - sauce or GTFO.

To the OP: You seem sold on Android - what's your mandatories for a phone? Sounds like expandable memory from your posts.

The Sony Xperia Z is due out in a few weeks and waterproof and dust proof and a micro SD slot. The HTC One has been announced (but no local release date) and doesn't have one. Samsung are due to announce their "next Galaxy" on the 14th and I can't remember the last time one of their products didn't feature a micro SD slot.

Why jump into something right now without at least waiting to see what's around the corner? Might not be the right phone for you but at least you'll know rather than kicking yourself.
12:14am 05/03/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1172 posts
Hey exo, I am sold on Android as I already have so much with Google it would be good to stay. I have a lot with Apple too, I just prefer Android overall. But from my google apps to drive, gmail, calendar and all my webtools it is in my best interest to stay, (I know this stuff can be set up on apple products but from past experience its just not as good)

Expandable memory isn't necessarily an issue - the concern stemmed more from Nexus only being 16gb (less the os)

The Xperia Z is a great looking phone actually although I'm seeing prices of 700-800 which may be a little out of my budget. Especially considering the Nexus 4 is only 400.

My main reason for wanting something urgent is because I've become very reliant on having my calendar and tasks etc on hand.

The other perk of buying the Nexus from google is the fact that there is none of the crappy vendor bloatware.

Argh! All I needed was my SGS to last one more month and I'd be sweet.
12:47am 05/03/13 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9053 posts
Know somebody who you can borrow a phone from for a month?
11:34pm 05/03/13 Permalink
yeahnuh
Victoria
259 posts
dont ever ever get that nokia/windows s*** theyre selling
12:22am 06/03/13 Permalink
cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1884 posts
i had a nexus 4 for a week so far, its all good so far
12:53am 06/03/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10248 posts
I was tossing up between the HTC ONE, Sony Xperia Z, and waiting for the S4.

I think I will go with the Sony purely because it looks better and reviews suggest there is not much between the HTC One and Sony Xperia Z. I was tempted to wait for the S4 but I have just seen some leaked shots and it looks like cheap s***e.
S4
http://bbs.52samsung.com/data/attachment/forum/201303/11/145338ta4u94ajj07adoat.jpg
More shots here: http://bbs.52samsung.com/thread-695291-1-1.html

Sony XZ:
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/7449683/xperia_z_zl16_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

HTC ONE:
http://cdn4.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/mobile_phones/HTC/HTC_One/Hands on/HTC_One_review_03-900-100.JPG
01:10pm 12/03/13 Permalink
Ha
91 posts
do what tollazor recommended. i literally fixed my s2 with that exact problem last friday and it cost circa $90. unless you really, really want to spend money, fix it yourself.
01:39pm 12/03/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17913 posts
samsung need to stop making their already bigger then every other phone, even bigger

the s3 is a great phone i love the size of the screen and lol whenever i look at other peoples phones these days

but f*** how big do they have to keep going? they have the note for all the people who want something ridic large
01:49pm 12/03/13 Permalink
Drummo
Melbourne, Victoria
187 posts
Well s***, I was about to post here asking for phone advice and stumbled into this thread. I'm now leaving with more options, and less of an Idea then when I got here.

HTC One, Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy IV and the Sony Xperia look like fantastic phones, and all without any major downside.
07:24pm 16/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2884 posts
Just ask yourself if you want android or windows.

Bang for buck the nexus 4 is always your best bet (its not a galaxy 4, its made by LG).

If you get the lumia 920 keep an eye out for the phoen jsut turning itself off, if it does make sure you return it under 30 days and get a new one.
07:42pm 16/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6493 posts
samsung need to stop making their already bigger then every other phone
s4 physical size isn't bigger than the physical size of the s3, the screen size is physically bigger though, less bezel more screen.
The s3 and the HTC one X are physically the same dimensions pretty much (personal phone is s3, work phone is htc one x)
The s3 and the Google nexus 4 (my brother has one of these) are basically also the same size.

They're just fitting in.
10:16pm 16/04/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8994 posts
Don't go Windows. From my personal experiences it just does not offer the customisation and power usage that Android can do. Even if you aren't that big of a power user and are more prone to social usage, Android are much better off. Apps are pretty much non-existent and barely anything gets ported over. Hell ANZ only just made their Internet banking website mobile friendly so now I can actually use it, where as Android I had an actual app. Browsers are terrible, and I constantly get told I'm "running out of memory" on UC Browser (the only really good one). IE is just useless.

I really regret getting a Lumia 900 but I'm just going to replace it with a S3 or maybe an S4.
11:22pm 16/04/13 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7237 posts
Got the Nexus 4 myself. Hasn't skipped a beat. Overall great phone and great value for money.
11:51pm 16/04/13 Permalink
Vash
3715 posts

I've preordered my HTC One, which is apparently the only phone to have this mic in it.
01:17am 17/04/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4056 posts
Oh so you want to be one of those people that records concerts ...
02:32am 17/04/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10329 posts
people who record at concerts should be sent to work camps.
10:33am 17/04/13 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1182 posts
I never understood why people want to watch a concert through their mobile phone rather than watching what is right in front of you.
Makes me rage so hard when some f***head has their phone blocking my view and I've gotten to the point where I'm usually telling people to put their phone down, nicely at first.
11:00am 18/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:00am 18/04/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.