The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Calling all Galaxy S2 Users
Murderer
Tasmania
1892 posts
G'day guys,

Just got a bit of a weird issue going on here at work..

Just had a guy who got 2 x Galaxy S2 4G's on saturday, he came back in today with one of them explaining to me the following:

if his s2 is on "silent" and he receives an e-mail he will still get the "postman" notification sound.

I went out the back to tell the manager that he would be back with BOTH of them,

And the OWNER of the store (who knows nothing basically) was trying to tell me, that there is an area in the phone where you have to go to turn this feature off etc... but apparently, no one at the store here, or at any other store has any idea where or how to do it... but the other OWNER who also KNOWS NOTHING does know what to do.

He then went on to tell me how his S2 (3g) is upto date with software etc and I explained to him that the S2/4G does not have ICE CREAM SANDWICH yet.. he then told me not to 'argue' with him etc. lol... idiot.

Anyone got an idea?
01:56pm 29/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:56pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1469 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
01:58pm 29/05/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
671 posts
dunno, I rid my sgs2 of the samsung software as soon as i could.

in settings -> sound -> volumes, is "link volumes" ticked?
but yeah f*** him.
02:02pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1893 posts
My thoughts exactly,

I am totally over this s*** hole of a store.

Solve all the problems, have all the knowledge and know how.

Been here for 21 months (3rd longest serving staff memeber) been here longer than the manager, the 2IC and everyone else apart from 2 casual staff.

Been Full-time since december 2010, no pay rise, no incentives, no bonuses, no sales position like promised.

I just find it hard that 2 50+ year old men can do this and I cant considering I use the phones 8 hours a day etc.

Place can go suck a fat one :)

But I LIKE TO HELP PEOPLE - If anyone can help with this issue let me know please :) [hopefully i'll be dragged into the complaints department in the call centre :P]

Have skimmed over google and cant find anything.
02:10pm 29/05/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5376 posts
Yeah this is an issue with the samsung firmware. Another issue is it pinging when charging is finished even when silent and there is no way to turn it off directly.

If I remember correctly, the workaround was to go in and change the notification sound volume. By the way did you google this s*** before posting on here? Fgt

https://www.google.com.au/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=17&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=samsung+galaxy+s2+on+silent+still+get+notification+sound
02:13pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1894 posts
Yes I did google it. Things like galaxy s2 on silent but notifications still coming through.

And variants of what I put up above. All I got was blackberry bulls*** and a heap of s*** with nothing to even do with the galaxy s2
02:33pm 29/05/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1026 posts
Yeah this is an issue with the samsung firmware. Another issue is it pinging when charging is finished even when silent and there is no way to turn it off directly.

Updating to Ice Cream Sandwich fixed the charging notifications for me. Also, I definitely do not get notifications (apart from vibrate) for anything, calls, messages, emails, reminders when on silent.
02:45pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1895 posts
This is an s2 4g. No ics till at least next month
02:53pm 29/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5617 posts
This is an s2 4g. No ics till at least next month
There's ICS on some S2's but not that one. Well officially. I'm not sure i can help you it's been over 18 months since i left stock samsung gingerbread on my phone that i wouldn't even know where the options are anymoe.
04:23pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Mitcho
Wollongong, New South Wales
53 posts
Hey murderer,

If he want's to be a smart ass, tell him to go to Samsung Chat support between 8:30 and 11:30 tomorrow.

ICS hasn't been released for the 4g device yet since telstra haven't finished testing it. Samsung released it to telstra a while back and its still in testing.

Currently the only handsets that have the update for them is the gt-i9020 and the gt-i9100. the GT-n7000 has had the firmware update has been pushed back a lot since its not working very well with the Note.
06:03pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1896 posts
Ok so it's a firmware update. That is required as it controls what the phone does etc.

I understand that ICS is software and not firmware.

Phone does say that there is an update available and comes up with a samsung account thing... Im guessing that could be the firmware update?

I'm just trying to figure out what my approach should be for tomorrow,

Do I tell him to just hold out and wait for ICS? Try the update first?

Or send the phone away and probably have samsung say there is nothing wrong with it anyway.

I can see his point of view as he is putting the phone on silent and it is not working correctly.

Fkn firmware bs, you'd think this kind of s*** would be heavily tested first!
06:32pm 29/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5621 posts
It's probably only going to be fixed through the firmware by coincidence mostly. The way the sound is handled is just a lot neater so the options should be more visible. This firmware isn't intended to fix this sound issue.

There still could be a way to fix his handset with only an option change somewhere, my preference would be to find out which app he's using for his email (k9 or whatever, perhaps it's stock) then go into the settings into that and make sure you turn notifications off. Make sure in normal settings, too.

Here i did some googling
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-3/398665-turn-off-email-notification-sound.html#post3096799
I have the option to set the ringtone to silent
Gmail > settings key > More > Setting > Select Ringtone > Silent
Silent is the second one down

Another; this is when the person has labels setup, and they individually have their own notifications
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-3/398665-turn-off-email-notification-sound.html#post3100065

When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!

A thrid
http://slacy.com/blog/2009/12/android-tip-set-your-notification-sounds-to-silent/
If you want sounds for some notifications, but not others, then you’ll have to do this on a per-application basis. For example, if you want everything to be silent except for GMail, then do the above to set your default ringtone to silent, then use GMail’s settings to override the notification ringtone to something else:

Run GMail
Press Menu
Select “Settings”
Select “Select Ringtone”
Choose the ringtone you like

I dunno but have you tried that?

Edit2: i'm not sure 100% how he's able to get these sounds. The only sound that should be able to come from an android by virtue of how it's designed is when it's called as an alarm. That overrides silent. Not everything is an alarm mind you, not even clock alarms are normally defined as an alarm, although some may be. The point is, the code is supposed to silence all but that. Or in other words, if he's using a non-android default email client it could be calling the alarm, rather than calling the notification for when it wants to play a sound. This person had a similar issue while coding their thing.
10:39pm 29/05/12 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9019 posts
Mitcho

WDS?
06:48am 30/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1203 posts
Ok so it's a firmware update. That is required as it controls what the phone does etc.

I understand that ICS is software and not firmware.

Phone does say that there is an update available and comes up with a samsung account thing... Im guessing that could be the firmware update?

I'm just trying to figure out what my approach should be for tomorrow,

Do I tell him to just hold out and wait for ICS? Try the update first?

Or send the phone away and probably have samsung say there is nothing wrong with it anyway.

I can see his point of view as he is putting the phone on silent and it is not working correctly.

Fkn firmware bs, you'd think this kind of s*** would be heavily tested first!

Point him to xda-developers website, root that b**** and custom firmware FTW. I don't understand why you would run stock on any android device.
10:03am 30/05/12 Permalink
Mitcho
55 posts
WDS?

who sorry? I travel to sydney
05:49pm 30/05/12 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
2074 posts
Speaking of which. Do any of you guys know a good minimalist ics rom for an gt_i9100...with instructions?
10:00pm 30/05/12 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9020 posts
who sorry? I travel to sydney

Disregard.
10:32pm 30/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1204 posts
Speaking of which. Do any of you guys know a good minimalist ics rom for an gt_i9100...with instructions?

I use the Resurrection Remix Rom runs 4.0.4 based on AOKP. If you are already rooted then just boot into recovery, do a factory wipe and install that from your SD card, wipe cache and Dalvik and you're golden.

Find the ROM at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854
11:24am 31/05/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
673 posts

this.

I use the Resurrection Remix Rom runs 4.0.4 based on AOKP. If you are already rooted then just boot into recovery, do a factory wipe and install that from your SD card, wipe cache and Dalvik and you're golden.

Find the ROM at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854

although I prefer straight Cyanogenmod, resurrection mod would be a good go to for starters.

How is resurrection these days btw? haven't tried it in a couple months.
11:32am 31/05/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20512 posts
I just received a text from Optus telling me about upgrading my fone to an Galaxy S3 but after a google search I don't think I'll bother. Looks way too big to carry around. I'll stick with my GS for the time being.
12:40pm 31/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1206 posts
although I prefer straight Cyanogenmod, resurrection mod would be a good go to for starters.

How is resurrection these days btw? haven't tried it in a couple months.

Stable, super fast, good battery. I went from Cyanogenmod to Resurrection, but its a personal choice.
01:41pm 31/05/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
675 posts
Stable, super fast, good battery. I went from Cyanogenmod to Resurrection, but its a personal choice.

sweet, might have to give it a try. i rarely stay on a rom for a month let alone a week so surprised i haven't given it a go yet haha.
02:25pm 31/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5633 posts
I just received a text from Optus telling me about upgrading my fone to an Galaxy S3 but after a google search I don't think I'll bother. Looks way too big to carry around. I'll stick with my GS for the time being.

opposite for me, but i don't exactly wear skinnyjeans so i don't really have problem with pocket sizes. My galaxy s1 can't wait to be put into retirement for a sgs3. I like the larger size as when i'm with clients and i don't know something 100% i have been using my phone a lot to confirm settings and so on so i tend to use it all the time where i'd previously have had to use a notebook + 3g dongle.

Although that's only times i don't want to pull the transformer tablet out of the car because it's so obviously bulky.

Either way bring on the larger screens on phones. But along with them i still see there being a need for a smaller profile phone which hopefully will live up to the same quality and fucntions as the larger siblings. At the moment, the smaller phones are lagging behind in power and resolutions. A bit sad :(
03:06pm 31/05/12 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
2075 posts
hm, well i tried what you said... now it just sits at an android logo and 3 flashing dots...

after showing the phone screen and sgs2 logo thing.

oh, turns out i wasn't patient enough.

last edited by Spock at 01:34:17 01/Jun/12
01:26am 01/06/12 Permalink
exo
Sydney, New South Wales
9022 posts
Looks way too big to carry around. I'll stick with my GS for the time being.

Despite the larger screen the phone's only 16% larger. I've found it quite comfortable to carry around even with slimmer jeans.
08:51am 01/06/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1209 posts
yeah the first boot can take a while spock, has to rebuild its cache
10:38am 01/06/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:38am 01/06/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.