How NVIDIA Geforce RTX powered laptops empower you to make your home a place of work, play, or something in-between.
The Power to Work, The Desire to Play - with NVIDIA
The Wii original gets the Nintendo Switch remaster treatment and the results confirm just why this series is one of the best.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is Role-Playing Gold
With the recent release of Fallout 76: Wastelanders, we sat down with Bethesda Game Studios to discuss its development, the original launch, and the road ahead.
Fallout 76 - The Big Interview
An entry level take on a well-worn genre that after a few hours will have you heading for the exit.
Minecraft Dungeons Review - Between a Block and a Hard Place
HTC One X
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
1677 posts
HTC One X
Has anyone got one of these, or had a chance to play with one? If so, what are you opinions?

I'm thinking of getting one. Am thinking of buying outright, because telstra are taking too long to get their 4G version in.

They look awesome - the reviews generally say a really good camera, plus other great features. Disappointing about no removable SD card, but considering I never use my current one I can't see it being a problem. Also, can anyone foresee problems with not having a removable battery? Again, I don't ever remove my current one except to get at the sim anyway, so I can't see it being a huge issue.
12:51pm 21/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:51pm 21/05/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2782 posts
apple have been getting away without sd slots, and removable batteries for 4 or so years now,

with the larger storage spaces now on phones it isn't as much of an issue (until people start watching more TV on them)
01:09pm 21/05/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
7983 posts
Do not buy an HTC - they are s***. Get a Galaxy Nexus instead.
01:10pm 21/05/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3879 posts
Disappointing about no removable SD card

i dont have one, but i think it comes with 20gb free dropbox anyway. most data packs a reasonably priced, so really it shouldn't be a problem..

personally i am not a fan of not having an SD card but meh..
01:14pm 21/05/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2783 posts

based on what?, they have been making smartphone much longer than most other companies,

in fact all the HP ipaq phones, made by htc, same with Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, Palm Treo Pro, Google Nexus One, and all the iMate phone before that,

so, again, based on what?

edit>>> i'm guessing you're the sort of person that would recommend a toyota lexen, or a mazda 626 because they are better than anything ford or holden could make
01:30pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4009 posts
I like the look of it, but early adopters on Whirlpool have noted a number of quality control problems. Some people have gone through 3 or 4 handsets to get one that doesnt have some type of hardware fault .
01:33pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6646 posts

That is some lovely facts you have there Ticman. I have a HTC Desire HD and it works flawlessly since the day I bought it. I however am looking for a new phone now due to old technology and the need to upgrade.

What is the consensus on Windows 7 smartphones? Do they offer as much flexibility and value as a Android phone? I've been looking at the Nokia N9 and that seems to feature quite heavily but still missing some basic features.
01:36pm 21/05/12 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
1678 posts
Yeah, my current phone is HTC and I've really liked it.

I've heard that Windows 7 isn't a great OS, but that isn't based on anything in particular as far as I can tell.
01:45pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Fuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
223 posts
I have a One X.

Great phone, but I'm biased because I've always been a HTC fan... Fragile though, dropped my about half a meter on the bus and it shattered the screen.... 3 weeks after I got the thing :(

$250 and a month wait for repairs, as places haven't stocked One X parts yet
02:18pm 21/05/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
7984 posts

based on what?

Out of every single one I've owned it's always ended up being frustrating about 8-12 months after I bought it, starting with the XDA back in ~2002/2003 and ending with the Desire. Under spec (internal memory on Desire), lack of software updates (stuck on 2.2) and clunky sync software have put me off them fo' life.

Meanwhile in Samsung Galaxy Nexus land, everything is dreamy.
02:33pm 21/05/12 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
1679 posts
Fuzzy, did you have a cover on it? Sounds like the first purchase I should make!
02:49pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Kamold
Sydney, New South Wales
40 posts
I ordered one from eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au in Hong Kong, it arrived THE NEXT DAY.....
$555 free shipping.

Came from an iPhone4 and really liking it so far. Getting used to using Android which I havent had before but the handset itself is very nice. Screen is awesome (though awesomeness means battery drain) and the camera is very fast and takes great snaps. Main reason I bought it rather than an SIII which would have been like $200 more anyway.

Very snappy, feels good in the hand and has a really loud speaker which coming from the iphone is much needed.
Not too fussed about the lack of uSD slot as I don't store music on my phone anyway.
So overall i'd give it 4.5/5.
02:56pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Fuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
224 posts
Sparrow, yah, that's the worst part about it, It must have fallen on a very specific angle to shatter it the way it did. :(

But yah... the idea behind the missing SD slot is it's suppose to increase battery life and general peformance of the phone, and I was never fussed about a removable battery as I charge the mobile the moment I get home anyway.
03:37pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1270 posts
I'm off contract for my Galaxy S2 in about 2 months. I'm currently tossing up between the HTC One X, the HTC Sensation XL or the Galaxy S3.

I really like the S2, but I'm worried what Samsung might have stripped out to appease the lawyers at Apple, so I'm holding off that little bit longer.
04:56pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6651 posts
I don't think I've ever taken the battery out of a recent smartphone that I've had or been in touch with. This is a hard choice, the HTC One X or the Nokia Lumia 900. Anyone have a Lumia 900 on here? Thoughts?
05:02pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1878 posts
Galaxy Nexus and HTC One X aren't even in the same playing field.

Had a guy come into my shop the other day and he had a one x, it was awesome.. he was really impressed too.

I watched a vid on it last night and the ability to be able to stream to tv via wifi etc is great, big screen, quad core etc...

Battery life is what has phones as nearly being useless. Can't get more than a day out of it, or if under heavy use you will not get more than 6 hours.

Which is why I love my iphone. Sure you can buy a 3800mha battery for $150+ and have a bigger phone, but you'd expect this kind of stuff out of the box!

One X is a great device, powerful etc... however with my experience with htc's... when they play up... they play up. i.e. dead motherboards and all that kind of stuff.

To be honnest, I would hold off for the S3 it may not be so far away.
06:42pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7581 posts
Yeah not sure if I'll ever buy HTC again, they've improved since the HTC Desire days but since I've been using SGS2 I don't know if I can do HTC again so, Samsung S3 for me.
07:36pm 21/05/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3881 posts
im using the S2 now. i hate Samsung software, i hate kies and most of all i hate having to connect my phone to the PC to update it.. i know with the latest updates you can now get over the Air updates but you still have to have a Samsung account.. WTF..

anyway back on topic, 2 guys at work got the One X on voda today, it is Awesome. its fast, very very smooth and the screen is really good. when the 4G version comes out on Telstra i will be buying one.
08:03pm 21/05/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3062 posts
won't you need the htc-one-xl to get 4G. from what i read on the 'one x' it doesn't do 4G
08:15pm 21/05/12 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
1680 posts
To be honnest, I would hold off for the S3 it may not be so far away.

It already is. I was waiting for it, and was fairly disappointed by it tbh, hence why I just bought a One X!

TufNuT - what do they think of the network? I hear it's even worse than Optus, but I'm curious how it is after their 'upgrade'?
08:28pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1879 posts
What says there will be a 4g version for telstra?

AFAIK, Telstra will be only stocking the HTC ONE XL.

Not the X..

Which is smaller and only dual core afaik. I doubt the XL will be 4g.

And because you can buy the X from voda / allphones etc I dare say it will not have LTE.

The 4g signal is only 5km from GPO's at this stage, and I have a 4g wifi modem which I have hit 55mbps on speedtest.net inside the area.

Even in 3G with the modem (dual channel) I can get 13mbps.
09:17pm 21/05/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3882 posts
TufNuT - what do they think of the network? I hear it's even worse than Optus, but I'm curious how it is after their 'upgrade'?

to be honest, one guy has had some reception issue at his house but not at work (we are in Albion) the other hasn't had any issues, guy with problems lives on the north side, guy with no problems is on the southside (roachdale i think)

so kinda hard to say, ill grab the phone tomorrow and give it a bit of a "stress" test and get back to you.

AFAIK, Telstra will be only stocking the HTC ONE XL.

as far as i know the XL is the 4G version. i haven't seen a X that is compatible with the '4G' network

it should be coming out around 12th of June. also we have a few 4g usb dongle's at work, we get 50mbps down and 25up..

last edited by TufNuT at 21:54:04 21/May/12
09:49pm 21/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5564 posts
I'll just be waiting out for the S3, it's basically similar spec to the One X but coming from a S1, girlfriend and work phone being S2, a S3 replacement for my S1 during recontract seems to be the natural progression.

I've always moved away from samsung firmwares though. Stuck with cyanagen mods for the last 6 months i suppose. Never have any issues but after a month or two on the same rom i check out to see what else is happening with whatever is the latest rom.

Of course support got dropped for the SGS1 after a while so i had to move to various kang projects but that hasn't ended terribly either.

My brother has had trouble with HTC's but my boss has had luck with them. The One X is an impressive phone by all respects. Leading the next generation into place. But i'd rather take one with the same technology but maybe a little slower to market when it's made by a company i've had good dealings with.
09:57pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6655 posts
Guess I'll be getting the Nokia Lumia 900.

10:11pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1624 posts
If you're picking up a one x, make sure it's made in taiwan. The ones from china are the ones that people have said had some hardware issues.

I got one last week from Telechoice outright and just stuck my telstra sim in it. coming off my HTC desire, I'm loving it. I too waited to see what Samsung was showing with the S3 when it was announced, and to be honest, it looks pretty disappointing, feature and design wise.

Sense 4 is much less invasive on ICS and the phone runs so damn smooth, it's great! The photo/video capabilities are just as good as the marketing hype is around it. Try out the ICS+ browser, I think with the gestures it's my favourite one on there at the moment. I have had a look at the rom's available, but haven't got around to rooting it and putting one on yet. There is a cool kernal that has a feature called Sweep2Wake which will bring the phone out of standby mode by sweeping across the 3 capacitive buttons, rather than having to push the power button at the top. Check it out on XDA and youtube.

The One XL is the dual core international version. You can read a review of it on Engadget. It's the AT&T LTE version, so when Telstra brings it out next month it will do 4G. The downside is that it only has 16GB of internal memory, but on the other hand, the Dual Core processor Qualcomm processor runs faster, and has better battery life than the standard One X which is a 32GB, Quad Core Nvidia Tegra 3 system.

11:17pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
763 posts
High Tech Company for life yo! Been keeping a very close eye on the Telstra business HTC 4g bundles in town lately - I've remained loyal to the 6600 or whatever with my 2730 for long enough - the joy of HD video is what I have been salivating over for a long while. Haha iRiver - I remember my roommate at the time mail ordering a 1gb storage card for it that cost $500ish for the card itself from overseas, back when the whole 'smartphone' jazz was still a niche market. :)
03:43am 22/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:43am 22/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.