The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13093 posts
Highest grossing Kickstarter project ever so far.

45,534 Backers
$6,709,966 pledged of $100,000 goal
22 days to go

In principle I think it's really cool - but I stopped wearing a watch due to mobile phones having a clock.

The running thing is cool - but you still need to be carrying your phone, which I never do when I run.

The music control feature is pretty nice though, I'll pay that.

At $150 USD RRP I wouldn't buy one.

edit by trog: link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/
10:55am 27/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:55am 27/04/12 Permalink
Soapy
Perth, Western Australia
4 posts
Highest grossing Kickstarter project ever so far.

45,534 Backers
$6,709,966 pledged of $100,000 goal
22 days to go

In principle I think it's really cool - but I stopped wearing a watch due to mobile phones having a clock.

The running thing is cool - but you still need to be carrying your phone, which I never do when I run.

The music control feature is pretty nice though, I'll pay that.

At $150 USD RRP I wouldn't buy one.

Interesting idea, but for me the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.
11:18am 27/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6395 posts
I'm backing it myself, though I prefer wearing a watch now over a mobile phone, just simply because it's easier to look at. The added bonus with this E-Paper Watch is that you can have parts of your phone interegrated into the watch, making it that much more useful to just simply look at the watch.

The price is fine for what it is, a watch that integrates mobile technology. There are much more expensive watches out there that just tell the time.
11:20am 27/04/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5832 posts
Not bad, but presumably the bluetooth would wear out the phone's battery pretty fast, even if the watch lasts a fair while.
11:32am 27/04/12 Permalink
gamer
2434 posts
$150 US for one of these? LOL tell'em'hes'dremin
11:47am 27/04/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13096 posts
How is this e-paper anyway? Other than high contrast and B&W, the screen doesn't look like e-paper at all compared to my e-reader. It looks like a very dynamic LCD which just happens to be B&W.

I was thinking the same, Nerf. BT is a battery killer.

Only times I wear a watch is when refereeing football and when hiking.
12:35pm 27/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15013 posts
I'm backing it myself, though I prefer wearing a watch now over a mobile phone, just simply because it's easier to look at.

same. i don't understand people like pinky.
12:38pm 27/04/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36091 posts
How is this e-paper anyway? Other than high contrast and B&W, the screen doesn't look like e-paper at all compared to my e-reader. It looks like a very dynamic LCD which just happens to be B&W.
yes, that is a good question. I note they seem careful to not use the term "e-ink", which is a specific product. Anyone that has used an e-ink reader will know that they probably would make crappy watch displays. The video prototype they showed looks nothing like my e-ink reader - it has smooth animation and transitions from what little I saw. So I am guessing it is either a new technology altogether, or a new variant on e-ink or something like a Pixel Qi screen maybe..?

Looks pretty cool though. Reminds me a bit of sci-fi stuff where you have sort of these small "terminals" that interface with bigger systems. So you'll have your small watch, which interfaces with your phone, which interfaces with the Internet/other PCs. It'll be cooler when further miniaturized and when we get better stuff like voice recognition and speech generation.
01:35pm 27/04/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5835 posts
I've sometimes wondered if I could be comfortable with one of these -

http://blog.ocad.ca/wordpress/gdes3b44-fw2010-01/files/2011/03/Leela-wristband-pong.jpg

You can fit a whole lot more hardware in something longer than a watch, might not need a phone then.
01:48pm 27/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:24pm 27/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.