The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Power outage - emergency electrician and what to do
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6266 posts
Hey so it seems half the power in my house that I'm renting has decided to fizzle out yay! Called up Energex and they said the landlord had to sort out an electrician to come and inspect the property, and that they will only come and shut off all the electricity to ensure it's "safe".

Now, my question is would I be able to call an electrician now, and have him bill/chase up with the landlord, rather than wait for the landlord to get everything sorted. Our landlord is a great guy, never bothers us etc and doesn't make random appearances, but he can be a bit slow to react.

So, is that possible? If so, anyone have any suggestions as to a good electrician/anyone who is on here want to come over?
02:02pm 15/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:02pm 15/04/12 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
672 posts
Ring landlord and ask? Do you have his contact details?
02:03pm 15/04/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6902 posts
my question is would I be able to call an electrician now, and have him bill/chase up with the landlord

Find your lease documents that you signed - there'll usually be a section on what is allowed as emergency reimbursable repairs that you don't need pre-approval for.

Anything else is pure speculation.
02:08pm 15/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2970 posts
Ring the emergency number for your real estate, they have procedures for what to do. They'll send someone over straight away and get it sorted, but you want them to be the point of contact for the electrician and what not, not yourself.
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6267 posts
We have, left messages etc already. Just wanting to know if it's possible to get an electrician in now and then they can chase up with the landlord.
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3681 posts
Home > Renting > During a tenancy > Maintenance and repairs > Emergency repairs

Emergency repairs

Emergency repairs are repairs for:

a burst water service or a serious water service leak
a blocked or broken lavatory service
a serious roof leak
a gas leak
a dangerous electrical fault
flooding or serious flood damage
serious storm, fire or impact damage
a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
a failure or breakdown of an essential service or hot water, cooking or heating appliance
a fault or damage that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
a fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage property or unduly inconvenience a resident of the premises
a serious fault in a staircase, lift or other common area or premises that unduly inconveniences a resident in gaining access to, or using, the premises

All other repairs are considered to be routine repairs.
Fast facts

A tenant/resident must notify the lessor/agent or manager in writing of the need for an emergency. repair. In an emergency the nominated repairer can be contacted directly if the lessor/agent or manager is unavailable.
If there is a nominated repairer they should be listed on the Tenancy Agreement.
If the lessor/agent/manager or the nominated repairer cannot be contacted, the tenant can arrange a suitably qualified person to carry out the repair. The tenant can pay the repairer themselves and get the money back from the lessor/agent/manager or get the repairer to bill the lessor/agent/manager. They should forward all receipts to the lessor/agent/manager who must pay them back within 7 days.
If the tenant pays for emergency repairs the cost must not exceed the value of two weeks rent.
If the tenant and lessor/agent/manager do not agree about the emergency repairs, or if the lessor/agent/manager has not reimbursed the tenant within 7 days, they can apply to the Tribunal for a ruling.
02:13pm 15/04/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8695 posts
I would suggest an unstable Electricity supply in the house is dangerous and you should call any Electrician you want to see if its safe. Youve made the effort to call the Real Estate, if no reply in an hour just call a sparky.

Housefires can start from faulty wiring.
Better turn off all your E-gear.

Prolly just a fuse, maybe a neighbour can take a look ?
Old guys usually know how to fix things like this.

last edited by FaceMan at 14:18:44 15/Apr/12
02:17pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1874 posts
What do you mean half your house has lost power? Are you sure something hasn't tripped the safety switch?
02:19pm 15/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2971 posts
You couldn't get through on the 24 hour emergency line the real estate has? That would be a very sore point for me and would be taking that up with them as soon as the problem is resolved.

Next time make sure you turn off and unplug your hair straightener next time, they are easy to knock off into water :(
02:26pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6268 posts
Energex is just here at the moment, the are two power supply fuses, one has burnt out slightly and the wiring is burnt off so only a partial amount of power sockets are out so they are making it safe but keeping power in the house.

We don't actually go through a real estate, its just private landlord, that's why I'm wondering if its possible to just get an electrician out now to fix the fuse and wire and then let them chase pricing etc with landlord.
02:26pm 15/04/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5379 posts
Which was answered.
02:39pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2126 posts
What do you mean half your house has lost power? Are you sure something hasn't tripped the safety switch?

It could be a 3-phase.
One phase may have dropped at the pole/pillar leaving the other to phases still functioning.

It could also be an isolated fault on say a light circuit. But you can have a many circuits on one Safety switch.
The problem with this is, as Eorl stated, Half the house can go when it could be isolated to one circuit.

In the past, when we have gone out to emergency jobs, ie, power outage, or no hot water. We don't do any work without the consent of the land lord. and the landlord gets billed.

it all depends on ur relationship with you landlord/real estate.
02:41pm 15/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
14905 posts
We don't actually go through a real estate, its just private landlord, that's why I'm wondering if its possible to just get an electrician out now to fix the fuse and wire and then let them chase pricing etc with landlord.

you could but the landlord might not like it. best to ring him first.
02:46pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6269 posts
Yeah guess I'll just keep ringing, for now it's fine as we've just got the fridge running to a power socket that works, only main concern. Thanks all.
02:49pm 15/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2972 posts
Make sure you check your smoke alarms before you lay your head upon your fluffy white pillow tonight if it isn't resolved before tomorrow.
03:00pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1096 posts
Partial loss of power is not an emergency repair.
07:25pm 15/04/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2540 posts
Make sure you check your smoke alarms before you lay your head upon your fluffy white pillow tonight if it isn't resolved before tomorrow.
Why? They have battery backups for when the power goes out (that should have been replaced on April 1st).
07:56pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18812 posts

You should still have a lease agreement though, and be covered by the stuff shad posted. And if not, you really should get one, cos it protects your arse from a lot of s***
08:00pm 15/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2974 posts
Didn't mean the source of power for the smoke alarm, just that they do indeed work. D***y electrics while you're fast asleep may unlikely but none the less possibly start a fire.
08:02pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6270 posts
We do indeed have that on the lease agreement Khel, so all good :) One of the owners came around before and is sending an electrician out tomorrow. All I was really worried about was fridge and whether it was going to start a fire because I could smell burning.
08:04pm 15/04/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
917 posts
So what's the risk involved here?

That you are 'out of pocket' for the expense?
Or getting into legal trouble with the landlord for 'unapproved/authorised' modification to his/her house?

I recall years ago living in a place that had the most STRANGE power setup I've ever come across.
It had 3-phase power hooked up (apparently done on the dodgy to run a 2000W heater(from memory)) and when there was a blackout in the neighbourhood, only half of the house would lose power (The 'original' part of the house) the part of the place that was clearly an extension would keep power throughout the blackout and then when power restored to the neighbourhood, the extension (which was on for the duration of the black out) would lose power for 1-2 odd hours.
09:01pm 15/04/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2541 posts
Didn't mean the source of power for the smoke alarm, just that they do indeed work. D***y electrics while you're fast asleep may unlikely but none the less possibly start a fire.
Yeah he's pretty safe there considering those d***y electrics no longer have any electricity flowing though them.
10:11pm 15/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2975 posts
He is in an older house I believe(reference being possum photo) people like teq quite often played with electricity, taking two seconds to test a smoke alarm for peace of mind is hardly a taxing proposition given the devistation dodgy wiring can cause no matter how slim the chance.
10:21pm 15/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:21pm 15/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.