The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
A quick question on RAM (and soundcard)
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2017 posts
Thinking about upgrading RAM so I can do some music stuff (dabbling in home studio, Pro Tools etc). I have a mixer and turntables but also want to use samplers (software mostly), and a few progs like Cool Edit Pro, Acid Pro, Fruity Loops etc, but the main reason for looking at upgrading is Pro Tools. Apparently it's system hungry like a b****.

My question is this:

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35 DS3 mobo http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2741#ov I know it's not the best mobo but I am not to keen to rebuild my entire system just now.

I currently have 4g of RAM (4x1G stix). Amd I going to be able to chuck in say, 16g (4x4G, 2x8G or whatever) or is there going to be issues?

Looking at quality RAM without going nuts ($100ish budget but prepared to pay a little extra if need be). My quick browse on MSY says this is ballpark.

Also any recommendations on soundcards? MSY just have what look sto be "gamimng" oriented SCs, whereas I am looking for a decent card that I can record on etc for <$300

Also currently running XP (if that helps) but probably upgrade to Windows 7 soonish.
11:08am 04/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:08am 04/04/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
943 posts
Don't know much about soundcards but...

4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory

So no, only up to 8gb is supported, and this requires you to be using a 64bit Operating System. If you are using XP 32 bit you will have to upgrade to use more than 4gb of ram.
11:11am 04/04/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
156 posts
What are you going to be recording?

I don't know if you saw my other thread but I've had massive problems with delays while recording, which really hurts the ability to stay on beat.

Was going to upgrade sound card as well but went into a music store yesterday; they suggested using an M-Audio interface instead. They have a pretty nice one on special for $200, I bought the $130 one because I'm only recording vocals.

It works a treat. Can record full length songs without it going off time or with a noticeable delay.

Not sure about the RAM question, but I think processor might be more important for recording, unless you're recording massive tracks that are going to require a lot of RAM. That said, I only use Cool Edit and FL Studio, haven't tried ProTools yet.
11:16am 04/04/12 Permalink
BoDGie
Brisbane, Queensland
566 posts
Just bought one of these

Haven't used it much yet. But so far so good, and the reviews seem ok.
12:50pm 04/04/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
821 posts
You should give Ableton Live a shot, easier to use than pro tools imo.

Bodgie - I've got the Fast Track Ultra, tis awesome, but it took some getting used to re power on sequences.
01:01pm 04/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:01pm 04/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.