The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Pixel Qi screens now shipping
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36010 posts
Just saw this on the Pixel Qi blog; they are now shipping their screens in consumer devices. For those who came in late, the Pixel Qi screen is a new type of screen that is (apparently) perfectly visible in full sunlight.

Has anyone seen one of these in IRL? The videos are always really convincing but I'd really like to see one first hand, esp. in a tablet to see how it compares inside vs outside.

http://pixelqi.com/blog1/2012/04/02/pixel-qi-screens-now-shipping-in-about-a-dozen-end-user-products/ :

We have been very busy – delivering product to our customers. Some of these are military customers and we can’t talk too much about those…. However, we do have many other customers who are shipping product today with our screens: You can buy these products right now. Just click through on the links below.

12:30pm 02/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:30pm 02/04/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4572 posts

I have seen one in in real life, though can't remember where and what, it was actually quite a while ago and very impressive though can't remember if it affected quality or not? I didn't realise it was pixel technology I actually thought it was just encasing technology.

I notice that Apple aren't on that list of customers?
12:41pm 02/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5746 posts
If your iPad/pod screen isn't brilliant and visible in bright sunlight it's because of the way you're holding it and you should learn to hold it better.
01:05pm 02/04/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7564 posts
Waiting for new Kindle with this screen...hurry up Amazon
01:14pm 02/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2532 posts
If your iPad/pod screen isn't brilliant and visible in bright sunlight it's because of the way you're holding it and you shuld learn to hold it better.

holding it in the shade is not always a viable option
01:58pm 02/04/12 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1456 posts
If your iPad/pod screen isn't brilliant and visible in bright sunlight it's because of the way you're holding it and you shuld learn to hold it better.

ISWYDT, well played :)
02:16pm 02/04/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3986 posts
From what I understand it can switch between a more-or-less standard LCD mode and an e-ink style mode when there's a lot of light.

There's some nice comparison shots on http://www.pixelqi.com/products
02:20pm 02/04/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19645 posts
I can JUST see my phone in the midday sun well enough to send a text (it's not an iphone)
06:41pm 02/04/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1345 posts
Has anyone seen one of these in IRL? The videos are always really convincing but I'd really like to see one first hand, esp. in a tablet to see how it compares inside vs outside.

We have one that the UAV research group uses for fieldwork (flight tracking / control outside), but its the monochrome one - its modded onto a samsung netbook IIRC.
10:47pm 02/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5753 posts
FWIW I found this article;
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/c/a/News/Pixel-Qi-touts-new-transflective-displays/

This article says that the screens have a sun rating of 1000 nits... In the past I have tested Panasonic devices that are (speced) at 3000 nits. They chew through the battery and cut down viewing angle and the tablet (Pana one) was rather bulky and unsuable as a field tablet (for what I do.)

Not sure if the new screen tech in these Qi screens allow for greater visibility with less 'nits' and I'm not exactally sure what a 'nit' measurement is.

Many of the ones linked in the OP don't have a nit rating displayed. A few have >1000 and one has >>2000.
2000 would be pretty good in the field, assuming that this allows for better battery life to go with your, now visible, screen. Viewing angle isn't as much of a concern for me, as it would be pole mounted at a specific height with the angle set to what I need anyway.
12:19pm 03/04/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36077 posts
http://pixelqi.com/blog1/2012/04/21/next-generation-pixel-qi-screen-improves-over-ipad3-display/ is pretty awesome too :
We at Pixel Qi are dedicated to low power screens – our screens are the cornerstone of thinner and lighter devices that will work inside and in direct sunlight. We can now announce that we can match or exceed the image quality of the screen in the iPad3. We have a new architecture that matches the resolution of the ipad3 screen, and its full image quality including matching or exceeding contrast, color saturation, the viewing angle and so forth with massive power savings.
11:57am 21/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:57am 21/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.