The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Setting up my NAS help please team
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2850 posts
Hi All,
Well I bought that HP Micro server off HerbalLizard and he has been great in helping me with all my annoying noob emails.

But I have a problem on the install of FreeNAS so instead of just annoying him I want to share with all you f*****s!!

I have chosen FreeNAS to install but I am having trouble getting the boot USB to work.
My steps are ->
I DL FreeNAS file - ISO FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64.iso
using utility Win32 disk manager i create a bootable USB
Insert USB turn on Micro server

Then it comes unstuck.............i get as far as "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Now I've googled this so i know what it means but it's got me stuffed how to fix the problem.

I can install another OS from USB so my USB is ok. but i didn't like it's interface so want to use FreeNAS.

what am i missing here?

All help appreciated!
thanks
08:14pm 16/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:14pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19531 posts
Try http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ instead, for all your bootable USB sticky needs.

Apart from that, no clue.
08:22pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6624 posts
Don't bother with FreeNAS, just use Ubuntu. FN is too much of a pain.
08:32pm 16/03/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2852 posts
ok...trued yours Whoop and same error msg.

Raven....links and instructions please?
08:40pm 16/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3423 posts
I ran up freenas on my HP Microserver a couple weeks ago without any issues. I went about it a bit differently though, I burnt the ISO to a cd, booted the dvd via via a usb cd drive plugged into the microserver, from there, installed to a usb memory stick plugged into the internal usb motherboard socket.

edit: this was also 8.0.4 btw

last edited by tspec at 20:53:54 16/Mar/12
08:51pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19532 posts
try a different version of freenas?
08:52pm 16/03/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4224 posts
can't u do more with them than only NAS ? i thought they were good..

e: not that i can talk i have a netapp sitting here wasting away doing exactly the same

last edited by do0b at 21:05:04 16/Mar/12
09:01pm 16/03/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2853 posts
I ran up freenas on my HP Microserver a couple weeks ago without any issues. I went about it a bit differently though, I burnt the ISO to a cd, booted the dvd via via a usb cd drive plugged into the microserver, from there, installed to a usb memory stick plugged into the internal usb motherboard socket.

unfortunately i don't have the luxury of an external CD drive.

it's bloody frustrating me. i can install HomeServerOS from my PC mag cover disk via USB no problem. i feel like I am missing something in the USB prep for FreeNAS.

I'm sure you can....but i need to at least get this working!
09:19pm 16/03/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4225 posts
lol put windaz on it?
09:21pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19533 posts
I've got an external usb drive, where u live suckah

e: not that i can talk i have a netapp sitting here wasting away doing exactly the same

You can do anything you want with them, seems everyone just wants them for a NAS though.
09:23pm 16/03/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4226 posts
esxi would be the way to go then and just upload all your iso's over gbit ethernet
09:29pm 16/03/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2855 posts
I've got an external usb drive, where u live suckah

do you mean CD drive?

i'm up at Bellmere, west of Caboolture. don't worry though i want to solve this f*****. and the USB stays insitu inside the server so i need to resolve.

thanks anyway
09:35pm 16/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9217 posts
I set up freenas 8 on hp proliant using physd***write
http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?251-How-to-write-the-embedded-FreeNAS-8-image-under-Windows

my only tip is, don't bother schleping your monitor/keyboard over to your proliant, I put off installation for like a week because of the inconvenience of having to discconnect my keyboard and monitor and take it to the proliant... turns out you don't need to do that s*** at all, it's just like setting up a router - plug an ethernet cable between the router and proliant, turn it on and connect via web browser http://192.168.1.1/

Although somehow my printer took over that IP since then and now the proliant is at http://192.168.1.2

last edited by thermite at 21:49:43 16/Mar/12
09:43pm 16/03/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2857 posts
thx thermite. i already have it connected on my LAN and i have a spare screen/keyboard for the install.

thats one of the reasons i want freenas so i can easily access it via that interface.

i will try that physd***write.

cheers
09:53pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9610 posts
Or you could have bought a NAS "appliance" plugged it in and been finished before you wrote the post...

09:59pm 16/03/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2858 posts
Or you could have bought a NAS "appliance" plugged it in and been finished before you wrote the post.

and if i knew what that means i would have formulated a much more witty reply than this.
10:03pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9611 posts
and if i knew what that means i would have formulated a much more witty reply than this.

Your lack of witty reply is why you should have bought a NAS and not a server.
10:09pm 16/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3424 posts

Yup, but there's a stock standard sata port on the motherboard which you can plug a dvd drive into, I assume you just have 4 drives plugged into the allocated hot swap bays? If so, use the spare sata port for optical, just until you have the freenas OS installed on the usb stick.
10:35pm 16/03/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2692 posts
obes you old troll. The HP Microserver is a great little tool in the home / small office environment. For the price point it is especially attractive.
I can see the appeal of crazymorton wanting to get his hands dirty and learn a bit - he will get that satisfaction once its done of he accomplished it even if it took a little help from the ausgamers community.

If you need a more specific hand getting any of this setup crazy shoot me an email. Be happy to help.
10:41pm 16/03/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2860 posts
hey it works!!

thanks all, even
obes you old troll

it was me though. i was getting my extract wrong for the FreeNAS dl. all sorted now and i have it installed and can see the server via my main pc so all good.

and as andrewus said i do enjoy solving the problem. part of the fun. maybe it was the 6 pack and bottle of red that slowed me down ;-0

appreciate everyone's input, no doubt I'll be back for the next stage but had enough for now.
11:32pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12859 posts
I second Raven's suggestion - just straight up Ubuntu on mine.
11:35pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19534 posts
i'm up at Bellmere, west of Caboolture. don't worry though i want to solve this f*****. and the USB stays insitu inside the server so i need to resolve.

thanks anyway

yeah an external usb powered cd drive
01:54am 17/03/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
12871 posts
It really sounds like FreeNAS is just going to be a pain for your purposes -- if you want to use it for anything except a dumb storage unit with redundancy. Sure you can still get a whole bunch of applications running on freenas, but unless someone has specifically compiled them for it, it's almost always going to be a lot amount of d***ing around for someone unfamiliar with Unix.

With Raven on this one. Install Linux Mint or Ubuntu instead (desktop version, not server, so you'll have a GUI to poke around in if command line gets overwhelming), then set up your storage drives with a software RAID5.

There are gajillions of guides out there on how to do this (on any PC, not necessarily specifically a HP Microserver).

If you did just want a simple storage device and don't want to run any other applications on it, then Obes is right, you should have just bought a basic NAS.
06:40am 17/03/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5429 posts
Dan you can install a desktop manager on ubuntu server. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Obes nice troll is nice

Its been years since I looked at freenas but poeple forget its unix not linux under the hood of it. Morton hit me up on maybe sun/mon I should be free around then. Wife's birthday and s*** is sucking all my time, then I have a rather large RHEL migration next week too but once done should be good

If someone can give morton a hand in the event I can't then he is looking for some of the following
LAMP Stack
Gallery3 / Coppermine / Zenphoto
DLNA server of some type (xbox360)
Deluge + remote / torrentflux-b4rt / torrentflux-ng / transmission + remote
SABnzdb - and an introduction to usenet
mdadm raid5 4x + hotspare or coldspare or 5x raid 5

As I said ubuntu is certainly going to have a shallow learning curve and will allow you to run a GUI to interact with it via VNC when the machine is running headless.

08:59am 17/03/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2861 posts
thanks everyone for your input.

I am happy to try a few systems out, this for me is just some personal learning and tinkering and the deal i got from Herbal was very good for my purposes. (huge props and man love to him he has been awesome with help.) and helps me give our son his gaming PC back. he also basically paid 90% for this so only a minor outlay for me.

the 5 x 1TB HDD allow me to separate my media and have some left over storage. plus i have another 1TB ext USB HDD so I'm ok storage wise. I also have screen/keyboard/mouse so i can interact directly if i need to

i just want to play and enjoy the journey of learning. I may try Ubuntu down the track and I have it dl and ready to go. I may even just slip back to good old Win7 and be done with it. so if i don't have it set up as a "real NAS" i don't really care. But mean time I'm happy to potter around over some beers with FreeNAS for a while. I just love the challenge and personal satisfaction of figuring something out and solving the problem so i tend to persevere on one thing till i have got it.

so stay tuned....I'm sure to be back with some probing noob questions to make you all throw you hands in the air and wonder "wtf is he doing"
11:56am 17/03/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4777 posts
I wish there is is good guide out there that will ZFS Raid the drives then will let me able to install ubuntu on top of that... because at the moment i have 5 x 3TB HDD in there and i dont have anymore sata ports to put a small HDD in for the OS.
12:18pm 17/03/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9599 posts
I can only offer 2 bits of advice here:

I and O :P

Seriously though:

- NAS boxes are computers - they're just dumb machines. They'll only do what you tell them to do.

- Ultimately, your data is your responsibility. Choosing a product or a person to handle it for you is merely a convenience.
10:59pm 17/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:59pm 17/03/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.