The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Our in-depth chat with Watch Dogs Legioin senior producer Sean Crooks, featuring details on Legion recruitment and replacing RPG stats with real-world mechanics...
Who Watches Who? Watch Dogs Legion Developer Interview
Ahead of Ubisoft Forward, we got hands-on with Assassin's Creed Valhalla and had a chance to speak with one of the game's producers...
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Preview - Bloody, Brutal, Viking
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey
Asus Padfone - Android phone/tablet combo
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35879 posts
This looks pretty neat - the Asus Padfone is a new phone/tablet combo thing that allows you to combine your phone with a tablet and a keyboard depending on what funtionality you need at any given time. Sort of like Voltron.

Sorry for the lame video but it's the only official one I can find in a 2 second Google.

Runs Android 4.0 (ICS).

Official site is here: http://www.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone/

Anyone played with one of these?
03:36pm 16/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:36pm 16/03/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
903 posts
Looks really, really cool. But that music was horrible.
03:39pm 16/03/12 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7650 posts
I knew those two were banging

Cool idea
03:41pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5860 posts
CNet also have a hands on preview but sadly can't embed. The handset is huge, though the plus is they both run Android ICS 4.0. I can see it being useful for people who don't have a smartphone or looking to replace one as well as getting a tablet thrown in, otherwise just get the Transformer Prime really, does the same job but without a phone.
03:41pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1706 posts
Music made me feel
http://i.imgur.com/XJDWP.gif
03:56pm 16/03/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2470 posts
Kind of s*** how they make it so you need all 3 products for it to be worth while. Would be cool if there was a standard interface between tablet, phone and keyboard dock, so if you had a HTC phone you could integrate it with an ASUS tablet and a Razer keyboard dock or something.
03:59pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19529 posts
^^ Yeah like what apple has with their screen extender thing (I think that's how it works, I don't have an ipad or an iphone).
06:43pm 16/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9215 posts
Pity you can't *really* use android as a laptop/pc OS even if you have the hardware
such a lie

my girlfriend came running out of the bathroom to find out what awesome music I was listening to when i played that video :/

last edited by thermite at 18:55:31 16/Mar/12
06:54pm 16/03/12 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2460 posts
Just think, if that guy at 1:10 had spilled his wine he could have wrecked a phone, tablet and keyboard dock thingie all at once!

That aside, I don't really see any point in putting one device inside another one - wouldn't it be better just to sync the state between the devices over wifi or such? I guess the one benefit is combined battery capacity/sync speed?

And if you were carrying around both a phone and a tablet, wouldn't you just use one of said devices to route 3g over wifi if you only wanted to have 1 sim/data plan?

I can see alot of wanker director/managerial types buying these types of devices though. It kinda reminds me of those folks that pay $1500 for a tiny crappy performance 12" laptop without sufficient ports to connect peripherals, then spend $600 on a docking station for work and another 600$ for one at home. When they could have just bought a desktop and a normal laptop and synched their s*** for half the price.
08:56pm 16/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5863 posts
Pity you can't *really* use android as a laptop/pc OS even if you have the hardware
such a lie

my girlfriend came running out of the bathroom to find out what awesome music I was listening to when i played that video :/last edited by thermite at 18:55:31 16/Mar/12

Man Android on my computer would be awesome. Though really that would just be Linux...
08:59pm 16/03/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
5969 posts
man asus needs to get a new marketing team, the asus transformer was a cool piece of tech too and the promo video for it was vomit worthy

11:06pm 16/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:06pm 16/03/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.