How NVIDIA Geforce RTX powered laptops empower you to make your home a place of work, play, or something in-between.
The Power to Work, The Desire to Play - with NVIDIA
The Wii original gets the Nintendo Switch remaster treatment and the results confirm just why this series is one of the best.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is Role-Playing Gold
With the recent release of Fallout 76: Wastelanders, we sat down with Bethesda Game Studios to discuss its development, the original launch, and the road ahead.
Fallout 76 - The Big Interview
An entry level take on a well-worn genre that after a few hours will have you heading for the exit.
Minecraft Dungeons Review - Between a Block and a Hard Place
Current ideal build 2012
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
41 posts
Hey lads and laddettes,

I haven't posted much here before, but i thought I would come here for a friendly opinion.

I'm finally throwing my gaming laptops out the window and moving back to a real rig, I've put together a little set list of what I think will be perfect for my gaming, because to put it simply, I am a hardcore gamer and I'm currently playing BF3, SWTOR and Batman, all of which are reasonably demanding games and hopefully this rig will last me a year or two before i go upgrading anything again.

After checking out the list, If anybody has any suggestions, recommendations or comments that would be great. And hopefully if you recommend something else I will look into it, although intend keep the budget around where it currently stands.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7800/finalni.jpg

Appreciate any help.
12:45am 16/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:45am 16/03/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7292 posts
ssd is here

dvd drive.. lol
12:50am 16/03/12 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
42 posts
I am highly considering a 64gb ssd for the OS and the main games I'm currently playing. What's wrong with a dvd drive lol? I have a bluray player on my tv, i don't need one on the pc do i?
12:51am 16/03/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6811 posts
I'm guessing you picked the 2500K for overclocking?

If so, I was able to push 4.5GHz stable (with all 4 cores at full load) with the Extreme3 Gen3 with these settings:

0. CPU multiplier at 45x
1. CPU Core Voltage at 1.325V Fixed
2. CPU Load-line Calibration at Level 1 (maximum)
3. Turbo Boost Power Limit at >100W
4. Memory voltage bumped to 1.6V (I have the 16GB Ripjaws kit)

Your mileage may vary, but it's a starting point. Setting #2 (Level 1 LLC) is critical for stability and lets you keep a lower Core Voltage.

(Note: when other people claim 4.5GHz, they have it mis-configured so that the clock winds back to 4.1GHz on load, which is cheating in my opinion)

last edited by parabol at 01:08:55 16/Mar/12
01:07am 16/03/12 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
45 posts
Yes I sure did.

Nice work man. Will use them settings when I get the ball rolling.
01:08am 16/03/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5291 posts
I clocked mine to 4.99 on air during winter without much trouble, similar cooler to that coolermaster you picked. Of course i turned off intel speedboost, just creates voltage fluctations, totally useless for anyone with a clue, well nearly anyone.

During summer i wound it back to 4.6~ but i can't really see my settings from this laptop, i'll maybe post what vcore i had later but more or less it's similar to what parabol says. As always, mileage varies but it's a great cpu.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2158432
02:08am 16/03/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2684 posts
I wouldn't bother with 64gb ssd's unless you plan on deleting everything all the time.
I run a 120gb patriot pyro sata3 & the performance is astounding. I have just the OS and Battlefield 3 .. I sit around 55gb free.
So judging by a 64gb with OS and 1 game? not looking great
02:17am 16/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19525 posts
Yeah I got the 120gig M4 and just windows + apps (no games at all) I have 57 gig free.
02:38am 16/03/12 Permalink
Kiminoth
Perth, Western Australia
41 posts
Yeah, I use a velociraptor for my games. At the moment I have a 60gb ssd for windows and without having a single game on it I have around 7gb free. In hindsight I should've opted for the 120gb.
03:38am 16/03/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7293 posts
Yeah, I use a velociraptor for my games. At the moment I have a 60gb ssd for windows and without having a single game on it I have around 7gb free. In hindsight I should've opted for the 120gb.

yes.. what i do is load the 1 or 2 games i'm actively playing on the ssd

crucial m4 128 is what i have.. but bigger is better try for a 256 maybe
05:03am 16/03/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7294 posts
as for the dvd.. what do you really need it for on a modern computer.. i have used mine maybe 2 times..

make a bootable thumbdrive and youre all set
05:08am 16/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2422 posts
dvd drive = way to play the classic games you might find on a discount table,

or the old games you wish to replay from a few years ago, that dont have a cd kay, and are not in you steam folder, also, burner cd's
07:03am 16/03/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
901 posts
I'm guessing you picked the 2500K for overclocking?

If so, I was able to push 4.5GHz stable (with all 4 cores at full load) with the Extreme3 Gen3 with these settings:

Awesome Parabol, I'm running the 2500k and might give those setting a go. I had a much smaller overclock running on it until a couple of months ago, I had 2 SSDs die and decided to revert everything to factory setting just in case I was doing something wrong. New one hasn't died yet so... no idea.

I doubt they were related but I said f*** it, in all honesty the overclock is unnecessary for me cause they never max out. Might see how it runs with your settings just for kicks.

What motherboard are you using?
09:08am 16/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9206 posts
If you gotta get a DVD burner, get an external one, so you can leave it disconnected when not using - plus be able to switch it over to a different computer/laptop easily.
09:23am 16/03/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12852 posts
I have two Crucial M4's 128GB and recommend as the O/S drive.

I would get WD Caviar Black over the Seagate.

Also double check the socket LGA2011 or LGA1155 for that mobo. I was caught out once buying an LGA2011 socket CPU and the Extreme4 Gen3 (I know yours is the Extreme3, but just letting you know).
09:24am 16/03/12 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
50 posts
Ok guys thanks so far for all the info. But yes main reason for DVD is for all my Collectors edition games that I have hard copies and not digital. I checked the sockets out and it's all good.
09:48am 16/03/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6813 posts
Of course i turned off intel speedboost, just creates voltage fluctations, totally useless for anyone with a clue, well nearly anyone.

You actually need that ON for some motherboards such as the Extreme3 Gen3 which we are discussing, to keep the multiplier at maximum and stop the CPU from scaling it back when it's at full load.

Without Speedset/TurboBoost: 1-core load: 4.5GHz, 4-core load: 4.2GHz
With Speedstep/TurboBoost: 1-core load: 4.5GHz, 4-core load: 4.5GHz

It basically locks the multiplier at maximum under load. Also voltage fluctuations are a non-issue when you set LLC at maximum.
I clocked mine to 4.99 on air during winter without much trouble

I'd be very curious to see what happens to your core if you monitor it at 4-core load.

Though maybe depending on your motherboard it may keep the full multiplier with Speedstep off.
What motherboard are you using?

As mentioned.

last edited by parabol at 10:08:03 16/Mar/12
10:02am 16/03/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4223 posts
ssd for best perfomance increase
11:08am 16/03/12 Permalink
tashap007
Mackay, Queensland
8 posts
the 3820 are out and the boards are only a little more. I would go to LGA2011 now. it wont be long and boards and cpus will slowly disappear from the market in the next 12 months.
05:28pm 17/03/12 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
52 posts
ok. well now, should i get the standard EVGA GTX580 or the superclocked version?
12:41pm 18/03/12 Permalink
samuelk
2 posts
ok. well now, should i get the standard EVGA GTX580 or the superclocked version?

If you can get your hands on a Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC 3GB card I go with that, better performance for a little less then the gtw 580, even then OC model i beileve.

Correct me if I'm wrong thought please.
:D
12:12pm 26/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:12pm 26/03/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.