Perhaps the best in the franchise yet, and it wasn't even lead by either of the A or B teams...
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Our Full Review
The PS5 has landed a couple of timed exclusives so we look at Godfall from New(ish) Kids on the Block, Counterplay.
Godfall Review - Godly Ascension, or a Fall from Grace
We spoke to Lead Combat Designer Tomonori Kinoshita from Bungie to find out a little more about how the fight on Europa will go down.
Destiny 2: Beyond Light - We Chat to Bungie
Which laptop?
schmeg
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
Hi Guys

Looking to get a new laptop for gaming, not too big 14-15 inch. Currently playing skyrim, the witcher 2 & swtor. What's the best laptop, I'll spend up to $2.5k
07:32pm 25/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:32pm 25/02/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2540 posts
Anything you buy in that price bracket will play what you are playing and will play whatever comes out in the next 12-18 months. I'd be more inclined to go to somewhere with a lot of laptops on display and finding something that feels comfortable for you to use, check weight, enough usb ports, etc.
07:39pm 25/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5390 posts
Needs a decent res 1920x1050 at least
08:26pm 25/02/12 Permalink
schmeg
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
Anything you buy in that price bracket will play what you are playing and will play whatever comes out in the next 12-18 months. I'd be more inclined to go to somewhere with a lot of laptops on display and finding something that feels comfortable for you to use, check weight, enough usb ports, etc.

Thanks,

We've been looking at a Dell Alienware mx14 any thoughts on it?
09:01pm 25/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10082 posts
If you're dropping 2.5k on a laptop you can hardly go wrong

unless its a mac
09:11pm 25/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5508 posts
Just don't go Alienware. Trust me, they talk a lot for their price range, when in reality they have s*** design and overheat quickly.
09:13pm 25/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12644 posts
buy the best i7 macbook pro you can get for that price

http://www.apple.com/au/macbookpro/
09:23pm 25/02/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9050 posts
he wants it for gaming though
09:36pm 25/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5509 posts
he wants it for gaming though

http://i.imgur.com/kcMcX.gif
09:42pm 25/02/12 Permalink
mrmatt
125 posts
When I entertained this silly idea I looked at this site http://www.p4laptops.com.au/
10:42pm 25/02/12 Permalink
schmeg
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Hi All

Thanks heaps for the help, I'll check out the site mrmatt posted. Good to get some real feed back about Alienware. Anybody else have experience with them?
12:04am 26/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5513 posts
Hi All

Thanks heaps for the help, I'll check out the site mrmatt posted. Good to get some real feed back about Alienware. Anybody else have experience with them?

Well the experience was with my friends one, the 14" one I believe it was, last years series. It just always over heated, I had to actually stick it in the fridge to cool down due to how hot it got. That and it struggled with anything you threw at it like Witcher 2 or BF3. They just don't seem to be well organised laptops, and are really just a brand that relies on the "gaming" gimmick.
12:09am 26/02/12 Permalink
schmeg
Melbourne, Victoria
4 posts
This laptop is for my son, I have a mac air for business & know very little about the pc side of life. What brands are reliable? And what specs are reasonable for the processor, hard drive etc? I appreciate all your help so far!
12:10am 26/02/12 Permalink
schmeg
Melbourne, Victoria
5 posts
Well the experience was with my friends one, the 14" one I believe it was, last years series. It just always over heated, I had to actually stick it in the fridge to cool down due to how hot it got. That and it struggled with anything you threw at it like Witcher 2 or BF3. They just don't seem to be well organised laptops, and are really just a brand that relies on the "gaming" gimmick.

Well that is what he was looking at so I am glad for the feed back, I'll strike that off the list, cheers
12:12am 26/02/12 Permalink
Vorador
Japan
1539 posts
I picked up an Asus G53SX and I've been really happy with it so far, handled everything I've thrown at it so far with reasonable settings

(granted the most intensive things have been Diablo 3 and Deus Ex human revolution on mid-high settings)
12:37am 26/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12645 posts
12:38am 26/02/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2542 posts
Schmeg: can you guyss recommmend me ssome fresh juice?
Teq: I buyy my milk farm fresh
01:27am 26/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19403 posts
buy the best i7 macbook pro you can get for that price

http://www.apple.com/au/macbookpro/

have the new macbooks fixed their overheating? Mine runs at (I'm not f*****g kidding) 100 degrees celsius CPU temp. The whole section above the F keys gets so hot you can't touch it for too long.

It's even worse if I booted into windows using bootcamp because A) windows is absolutely f*****g s***house at power management***, and B) it didn't seem to control the fans properly so I was pretty hesitant to use windows for much on my MBP.

*** I've proven this to myself comparing battery life in windows and ubuntu on a regular laptop. Windows comes out the worst for chewing through a battery in under an hour doing nothing but watching a movie, even on the lowest power mode it has. Ubuntu lasted what felt like forever, at least as long as the movie anyway.

I didn't test on the macbook because it's not fair to test windows against OSX because windows can't use the s***** video card, it's locked to the high power one where OSX can switch between them to save power.
04:49am 26/02/12 Permalink
ctd
UK
9803 posts
laptop for gaming... lulz
06:58am 26/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5393 posts
Whoop seriously what the f***.... that s*** isn't right
09:18am 26/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5516 posts
Well that is what he was looking at so I am glad for the feed back, I'll strike that off the list, cheers

Toshiba, mates got a big 17" one and it just works well. He can play BF3 on high to nearly ultra, and has a little stand underneath with a few fans to control heat.

Looking at the Qosmio's brand, they are the dedicated gaming ones from Toshiba and they look really good. You've got yourself 8GB to 16GB depending on model, a NVIDIA® GeForce GT 540M w/Optimus 2GB and a Intel® Core™ i7 processor 2670QM which is really good and will play a wide range of games.
10:39am 26/02/12 Permalink
Romper
Melbourne, Victoria
10 posts
Just don't go Alienware. Trust me, they talk a lot for their price range, when in reality they have s*** design and overheat quickly.

I second that!

I will never own another one of those Laptop's again.
01:54pm 29/02/12 Permalink
schmeg
Melbourne, Victoria
6 posts
Thanks guys for all the help, especially the warning about the Alienware brand. I would of been filthy if we had bought one and had those issues.
11:27pm 29/02/12 Permalink
Woblzz
Queensland
10 posts
hey guys, bit of a hijak, but was wondering if anyone could suggest a laptop for uni, looking to spend up to $400, needs to have wifi basically :P help would be much appreciated, already had a look at msy and saw the Asus X43U-VX100, MSI x350-476AU and the lenova G575-43834QM, but not sure yet
10:24pm 05/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:24pm 05/03/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.