The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Nanocopter formation flying
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1019 posts
World of awesome...just need them now to chase mozzies away from the BBQ

06:22pm 21/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:22pm 21/02/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6749 posts
Nah, need them to chase cats around like this:

06:32pm 21/02/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35748 posts
So wicked. DARPA must be falling all over themselves trying to write cheques for this sort of stuff. It'd be great if you could power one from solar so you could have it up basically all day, but I suspect it would need too much electricity to run the quad rotors.

How much agility would you lose with only three rotors? It seems to me that you'd still get all the direction changing stuff, just maybe not as quickly, and I assume if they're small three rotors would be enough to provide lift..?
06:36pm 21/02/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5397 posts
Can totally see skynet sending these after me, and it's horrifying.

So cool.
07:11pm 21/02/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2415 posts
Solar panels would also increase weight which would probably be a fairly important factor for those mechanical bees.

I wonder how much of what we see is just pre-programmed moves or whether it is dynamic calculations on behalf of AI.
07:18pm 21/02/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1569 posts
I read on Engadget the other day that DARPA has an Avatar project for humans to "jack in" and remote control soldier robots. Crossing James Cameron's Avatar with Terminator!
07:22pm 21/02/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12680 posts
DARPA has basically crowd-sourced UAV and robot designs and lots of cool s*** has come out of it. Some really unusual designs.
10:49pm 21/02/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4220 posts
Holy f*** that OP vid is great :)
11:28pm 21/02/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1020 posts
So wicked. DARPA must be falling all over themselves trying to write cheques for this sort of stuff. It'd be great if you could power one from solar so you could have it up basically all day, but I suspect it would need too much electricity to run the quad rotors.

How much agility would you lose with only three rotors? It seems to me that you'd still get all the direction changing stuff, just maybe not as quickly, and I assume if they're small three rotors would be enough to provide lift..?

It's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a solution which becomes cheap enough for the masses. The advances I've seen in the last 20 years leads me to believe something will be on the market in the short term (about 5 years).

It just makes me feel sad that I won't be around to see how things are in 60 years time....
02:15am 22/02/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
640 posts
attach cameras or bombs to these things and you've got yourself a serious defence contract
09:43am 22/02/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
470 posts
Heh, awesome. :)
04:17pm 22/02/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6700 posts
i'm gunna post these again even though they were in the last quadrotor thread just coz they are cool.

it's not all beer & skittles in the quadrotor camp...

i dunno about the triple rotor version trog.. i am no expert on these things but i haven't seen any tri-rotors. lots of quads & 6-rotors though. probably has to do with stability.
04:34pm 22/02/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35783 posts
Looks like tricopter ones do exist:

seems stable enough but maybe not as maneuverable as the quad option so they can't do such deft little moves?

WANT TO BE AEROSPACE ENGINEER
07:54pm 23/02/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1025 posts

You don't need to be an Aerospace Engineer to do that.

What you can do is join the MAAQ

http://maaq.org/

figure out where the nearest club is from where you live and join them.....you might even meet me someday if you fly stand off scale.

[Edit]
You might even do some contra deals to get free membership. I'm sure people will be able to point you in the right direction.
08:17pm 23/02/12 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
499 posts

Too bad you spent your youth discharging in water.
11:23am 24/02/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35798 posts
Too bad you spent your youth discharging in water.
yeh. and firing the lightning gun while underwater.
04:40pm 24/02/12 Permalink
Romper
Melbourne, Victoria
34 posts
Coolest vids I've watched this year by far - does make you think about the future of surveillance & weapons....
02:41pm 12/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:41pm 12/03/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.