The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
(UPD)My PSU whistles - Recommend me a new one
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19334 posts

(UPDATE)Ok so since someone suggested I get a different brand, which one should do the trick? Not forgetting it's got to have 4 x 6 pin video card connectors because I have 2 video cards.

Corsair HX1050W power supply looks like it might have what I need

I'm guessing this isn't normal? Should I take it back, or is this just something that happens? I've heard this whistle in a bunch of high voltage gear but never in anything as low voltage as a computer power supply.

Video for proof. The whistle is pretty high pitched so you might need a set of speakers/headphones capable of reproducing really high frequencies to hear it. Those $10 flea market speakers might not cut it.

MW3 runs fine, I can crank out videos from virtualdub with no issues, the only game I have that crashes is the sims 3 which produces a BSOD with some direct x error (I think). The fact that everything except the sims 3 is stable kind of makes me think it's not the PSU's fault but maybe the sims is tickling a part of the video card that nothing else uses and the PSU just gives up so it's one of my suspects.
08:14pm 07/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:14pm 07/02/12 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
2020 posts
Please land the plane first before recording the sound for us.
08:23pm 07/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19336 posts
That's the 2 video cards, they don't get any quieter. If your speakers are capable of really high frequencies the whistle is quite loud and obvious. I can hear it really well on my headphones.

playing around with a sound EQ it seems to me the whistle is somewhere up from 10khz - 20khz (eq only goes to 20).
08:25pm 07/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5366 posts
Caps vibrating which can cause a whistling / ringing sound

http://www.millertechinc.com/pdf_files/TN095%20Capacitor%20Noise.htm

08:36pm 07/02/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4372 posts
^ that, or its fan, but more likely ^
08:45pm 07/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19337 posts
so should I just ignore it? or is it actually a problem that might be what's causing that one game to crash, even though nothing else is unstable?
08:50pm 07/02/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9590 posts
have it replaced

your PSU should not be trying to communicate with the neighbour's dog
10:19pm 07/02/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
716 posts
Please land the plane first before recording the sound for us.

/thread

Get it replaced under warranty, it might also be worth considering some sort of power filter if you're in an older house.
11:56pm 07/02/12 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
1326 posts
Take it back and get it replaced.

My Antec High Current Gamer PSU made an intermittent ticking/tapping noise when I first bought it. Took it back and Antec replaced it through the RMA.
01:19am 08/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19339 posts
crap, that probably means I've got to un-snake all the cables because they're all neatly tied up behind, inside, around, and through pretty much every hole, hidey plate and secret area in the case that exists :(

Would it be worth getting it replaced for the same brand or is there a good chance that the next one might also be from the same batch and also start to whistle?

I've already got it on a power filter board thing, the next step up would probably be a UPS.
02:53am 08/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5367 posts
If it an antec then rma it sell the rma'd unit to a noob and get something that isn't a steaming pile of s***
08:17am 08/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19341 posts
such as?
06:53pm 08/02/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
653 posts
hit it harder :P
07:03pm 08/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19343 posts
I will if antec are s***. I'll donate it to science, buy a new one & hook the old one up to a 15kv neon sign transformer just to watch it fry. MUHAHAHAHAHHA
07:07pm 08/02/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
726 posts
I'd recommend anything Silverstone Whoop.
You'll pay a little more, but they're well worth every cent!
08:01am 09/02/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8522 posts
I have 3 dead Antecs sitting right next to me, never had such bad luck with a PSU brand.

I'm onto the Corsair HX series now, thank you whoever suggested modular power supplies in a recent thread, winning.
08:37am 09/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19345 posts
Well I took it back tonight, hopefully it won't f*** me over and not make its noises. I'll get a decent one & tear the "new" one a new a****** & turn it into a lab power supply to power my battery chargers & stuff.
07:57pm 09/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5369 posts
I would opt for one of the Enermax Revolution series which I have used for years, recommended for years and sold for years. I also hear good things about the Cosair HX series.

Here is a tip, ring some random stores ask to speak to rma's dept ask them the which brands they rma the most... avoid said brands

08:24am 10/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:24am 10/02/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.