The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
(UPD)My PSU whistles - Recommend me a new one
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19334 posts

(UPDATE)Ok so since someone suggested I get a different brand, which one should do the trick? Not forgetting it's got to have 4 x 6 pin video card connectors because I have 2 video cards.

Corsair HX1050W power supply looks like it might have what I need

I'm guessing this isn't normal? Should I take it back, or is this just something that happens? I've heard this whistle in a bunch of high voltage gear but never in anything as low voltage as a computer power supply.

Video for proof. The whistle is pretty high pitched so you might need a set of speakers/headphones capable of reproducing really high frequencies to hear it. Those $10 flea market speakers might not cut it.

MW3 runs fine, I can crank out videos from virtualdub with no issues, the only game I have that crashes is the sims 3 which produces a BSOD with some direct x error (I think). The fact that everything except the sims 3 is stable kind of makes me think it's not the PSU's fault but maybe the sims is tickling a part of the video card that nothing else uses and the PSU just gives up so it's one of my suspects.
08:14pm 07/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:14pm 07/02/12 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
2020 posts
Please land the plane first before recording the sound for us.
08:23pm 07/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19336 posts
That's the 2 video cards, they don't get any quieter. If your speakers are capable of really high frequencies the whistle is quite loud and obvious. I can hear it really well on my headphones.

playing around with a sound EQ it seems to me the whistle is somewhere up from 10khz - 20khz (eq only goes to 20).
08:25pm 07/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5366 posts
Caps vibrating which can cause a whistling / ringing sound

http://www.millertechinc.com/pdf_files/TN095%20Capacitor%20Noise.htm

08:36pm 07/02/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4372 posts
^ that, or its fan, but more likely ^
08:45pm 07/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19337 posts
so should I just ignore it? or is it actually a problem that might be what's causing that one game to crash, even though nothing else is unstable?
08:50pm 07/02/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9590 posts
have it replaced

your PSU should not be trying to communicate with the neighbour's dog
10:19pm 07/02/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
716 posts
Please land the plane first before recording the sound for us.

/thread

Get it replaced under warranty, it might also be worth considering some sort of power filter if you're in an older house.
11:56pm 07/02/12 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
1326 posts
Take it back and get it replaced.

My Antec High Current Gamer PSU made an intermittent ticking/tapping noise when I first bought it. Took it back and Antec replaced it through the RMA.
01:19am 08/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19339 posts
crap, that probably means I've got to un-snake all the cables because they're all neatly tied up behind, inside, around, and through pretty much every hole, hidey plate and secret area in the case that exists :(

Would it be worth getting it replaced for the same brand or is there a good chance that the next one might also be from the same batch and also start to whistle?

I've already got it on a power filter board thing, the next step up would probably be a UPS.
02:53am 08/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5367 posts
If it an antec then rma it sell the rma'd unit to a noob and get something that isn't a steaming pile of s***
08:17am 08/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19341 posts
such as?
06:53pm 08/02/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
653 posts
hit it harder :P
07:03pm 08/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19343 posts
I will if antec are s***. I'll donate it to science, buy a new one & hook the old one up to a 15kv neon sign transformer just to watch it fry. MUHAHAHAHAHHA
07:07pm 08/02/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
726 posts
I'd recommend anything Silverstone Whoop.
You'll pay a little more, but they're well worth every cent!
08:01am 09/02/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8522 posts
I have 3 dead Antecs sitting right next to me, never had such bad luck with a PSU brand.

I'm onto the Corsair HX series now, thank you whoever suggested modular power supplies in a recent thread, winning.
08:37am 09/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19345 posts
Well I took it back tonight, hopefully it won't f*** me over and not make its noises. I'll get a decent one & tear the "new" one a new a****** & turn it into a lab power supply to power my battery chargers & stuff.
07:57pm 09/02/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5369 posts
I would opt for one of the Enermax Revolution series which I have used for years, recommended for years and sold for years. I also hear good things about the Cosair HX series.

Here is a tip, ring some random stores ask to speak to rma's dept ask them the which brands they rma the most... avoid said brands

08:24am 10/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:24am 10/02/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.