The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Recommend me... a cheap headless linux build for programming
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts
Hi All,
I'm currently studying bioinformatics and am becoming sick of my laptop being held up by long jobs. As such I am thinking about building a headless linux box that I can just send jobs to and retrieve results from... Unfortunately I have no idea where to start :(

Could anyone recommend a suitable build for this (keeping the price within 'poor uni student' range)?

Thanks in advance!

Josha
01:24pm 28/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:24pm 28/01/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4195 posts
01:28pm 28/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12390 posts
got an old iphone or ipod/ipad?
01:32pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3168721
?????

Hows 30 odd bucks?

Interesting! Any word on when/when Raspberry Pi will be available?
01:40pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
3 posts

Unfortunately no :(
01:41pm 28/01/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4196 posts
Interesting! Any word on when/when Raspberry Pi will be available?

According to their website, the units are about to ship. I hope he got enough of them made because everyone and their dog is going to want one.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Edit: It turns out the 1st run of production is only a few thousand units and can be ordered by around the begining of Feb.
01:44pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
4 posts
According to their website, the units are about to ship. I hope he got enough of them made because everyone and their dog is going to want one.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Edit: It turns out the 1st run of production is only a few thousand units and can be ordered by around the begining of Feb.

I think that should definitely be worth the wait! I'm assuming it will be able to run Python, Java, etc...
Thanks for the heads-up!

Josha
01:51pm 28/01/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35551 posts
These things might also be of interest: http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3161623 although I think they are oriented more towards storage than processing so might be too big/expensive.

I have another mate who did bioinformatics and he is constantly telling me about his processing work being done on like 64 cpu machines (I have a photo of one of his taskmanager windows, it's hilarious)... so I would guess you are more after something to do number crunching on? In that case the Pi might not be the best thing just because its CPU/RAM might be a bit limited.

Because he's working professionally at a company that seems to have a "price is no object" philosophy on hardware he's probably not too aware of what is good on the low end, but if you clarify exactly what you're trying to do I can pass it on to him and see if he has any suggestions.
03:45pm 28/01/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
1930 posts
processing work being done on like 64 cpu machines

Sounds like they should have migrated to doing work on GPGPUs and all that CUDA/OpenCL jazz a long time ago!

Though if the company's anything like basically every single one that I have dealt with, it's a million times easier to justify the cost of trying to keep up the pace with machines of 64 CPUs than the (significantly smaller) cost of having a team competently re-engineer mission-critical systems to work on a different platform.

That said, I know nothing of what bioinformaticists actually do, so what do I know!
04:20pm 28/01/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35554 posts
Sounds like they should have migrated to doing work on GPGPUs and all that CUDA/OpenCL jazz a long time ago!

Though if the company's anything like basically every single one that I have dealt with, it's a million times easier to justify the cost of trying to keep up the pace with machines of 64 CPUs than the (significantly smaller) cost of having a team competently re-engineer mission-critical systems to work on a different platform.

That said, I know nothing of what bioinformaticists actually do, so what do I know!
Yeh I should ask about that; at the time it was just at the start of the CUDA/GPU revolution so I'm sure it was on their radar but possibly too immature as a solution to justify the cost of converting over codebase. Now it seems like a bit of a no-brainer if you're doing a lot of number crunching (.. I have no idea what's involved in coding for GPU though... google tells me there are several alternatives for Python so it might be a good way of doing stuff)
06:23pm 28/01/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4431 posts

Imo get an ipad and put a frame around it http://www.ausforums.com/images/icon10.gif
06:47pm 28/01/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2613 posts

I'll bite.. what would your recommendation be if there was one lying around?
07:03pm 28/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12392 posts

I'll bite.. what would your recommendation be if there was one lying around?

jailbreak it and install openssh?

they're just a cut down version of osx, still runs a unix kernel etc
07:31pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
73 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
09:03pm 28/01/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4433 posts

How does number 1 get nuked?!

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/9846/images/psyduck.gif

This forum needs to adopt the Stonecutters rule of hierarchy.
11:10pm 28/01/12 Permalink
awsum
Melbourne, Victoria
9 posts
My favourite Linux is Ubuntu

If you want a stable long life build, try Ubuntu Server LTS

Like all the good things in life, it's free!
01:29am 29/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:29am 29/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.