Perhaps the best in the franchise yet, and it wasn't even lead by either of the A or B teams...
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Our Full Review
The PS5 has landed a couple of timed exclusives so we look at Godfall from New(ish) Kids on the Block, Counterplay.
Godfall Review - Godly Ascension, or a Fall from Grace
We spoke to Lead Combat Designer Tomonori Kinoshita from Bungie to find out a little more about how the fight on Europa will go down.
Destiny 2: Beyond Light - We Chat to Bungie
Recommend me... a cheap headless linux build for programming
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts
Hi All,
I'm currently studying bioinformatics and am becoming sick of my laptop being held up by long jobs. As such I am thinking about building a headless linux box that I can just send jobs to and retrieve results from... Unfortunately I have no idea where to start :(

Could anyone recommend a suitable build for this (keeping the price within 'poor uni student' range)?

Thanks in advance!

Josha
01:24pm 28/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:24pm 28/01/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4195 posts
01:28pm 28/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12390 posts
got an old iphone or ipod/ipad?
01:32pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3168721
?????

Hows 30 odd bucks?

Interesting! Any word on when/when Raspberry Pi will be available?
01:40pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
3 posts

Unfortunately no :(
01:41pm 28/01/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4196 posts
Interesting! Any word on when/when Raspberry Pi will be available?

According to their website, the units are about to ship. I hope he got enough of them made because everyone and their dog is going to want one.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Edit: It turns out the 1st run of production is only a few thousand units and can be ordered by around the begining of Feb.
01:44pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Inglis
Brisbane, Queensland
4 posts
According to their website, the units are about to ship. I hope he got enough of them made because everyone and their dog is going to want one.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Edit: It turns out the 1st run of production is only a few thousand units and can be ordered by around the begining of Feb.

I think that should definitely be worth the wait! I'm assuming it will be able to run Python, Java, etc...
Thanks for the heads-up!

Josha
01:51pm 28/01/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35551 posts
These things might also be of interest: http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3161623 although I think they are oriented more towards storage than processing so might be too big/expensive.

I have another mate who did bioinformatics and he is constantly telling me about his processing work being done on like 64 cpu machines (I have a photo of one of his taskmanager windows, it's hilarious)... so I would guess you are more after something to do number crunching on? In that case the Pi might not be the best thing just because its CPU/RAM might be a bit limited.

Because he's working professionally at a company that seems to have a "price is no object" philosophy on hardware he's probably not too aware of what is good on the low end, but if you clarify exactly what you're trying to do I can pass it on to him and see if he has any suggestions.
03:45pm 28/01/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
1930 posts
processing work being done on like 64 cpu machines

Sounds like they should have migrated to doing work on GPGPUs and all that CUDA/OpenCL jazz a long time ago!

Though if the company's anything like basically every single one that I have dealt with, it's a million times easier to justify the cost of trying to keep up the pace with machines of 64 CPUs than the (significantly smaller) cost of having a team competently re-engineer mission-critical systems to work on a different platform.

That said, I know nothing of what bioinformaticists actually do, so what do I know!
04:20pm 28/01/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35554 posts
Sounds like they should have migrated to doing work on GPGPUs and all that CUDA/OpenCL jazz a long time ago!

Though if the company's anything like basically every single one that I have dealt with, it's a million times easier to justify the cost of trying to keep up the pace with machines of 64 CPUs than the (significantly smaller) cost of having a team competently re-engineer mission-critical systems to work on a different platform.

That said, I know nothing of what bioinformaticists actually do, so what do I know!
Yeh I should ask about that; at the time it was just at the start of the CUDA/GPU revolution so I'm sure it was on their radar but possibly too immature as a solution to justify the cost of converting over codebase. Now it seems like a bit of a no-brainer if you're doing a lot of number crunching (.. I have no idea what's involved in coding for GPU though... google tells me there are several alternatives for Python so it might be a good way of doing stuff)
06:23pm 28/01/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4431 posts

Imo get an ipad and put a frame around it http://www.ausforums.com/images/icon10.gif
06:47pm 28/01/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2613 posts

I'll bite.. what would your recommendation be if there was one lying around?
07:03pm 28/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12392 posts

I'll bite.. what would your recommendation be if there was one lying around?

jailbreak it and install openssh?

they're just a cut down version of osx, still runs a unix kernel etc
07:31pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
73 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
09:03pm 28/01/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4433 posts

How does number 1 get nuked?!

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/9846/images/psyduck.gif

This forum needs to adopt the Stonecutters rule of hierarchy.
11:10pm 28/01/12 Permalink
awsum
Melbourne, Victoria
9 posts
My favourite Linux is Ubuntu

If you want a stable long life build, try Ubuntu Server LTS

Like all the good things in life, it's free!
01:29am 29/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:29am 29/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.