The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Where to import phones from?
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18136 posts
So my phone died recently, which may or may not have been caused by me throwing it in a work induced rage, and I remembered that I've seen people from here import phones from overseas before for a hell of a lot less than they cost locally. I vaguely remember there being some websites involved, but I can't remember what they were. Anyone who's done this before got any recommendations on where I should be looking? And any potential pitfalls I'd need to avoid?

Also, whats the current hotness that I should be looking at getting? Was just thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy 2, are they still the ducks nuts or has something bigger and better come along now?
04:01pm 25/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:01pm 25/01/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
823 posts
Still loving my Galaxy S2 over here although I hear the Nexus is pretty badass.

I got mine here:http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/samsung-galaxy-s2/ which at the time was significantly cheaper than everywhere else. Not sure of prices anymore though.
04:05pm 25/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12372 posts
I don't understand the question, iPhones are all the same price at every location?
you just log on to www.apple.com/au/iphone and click buy, it will arrive within 48hrs
04:15pm 25/01/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3927 posts
Android is a toss-up between Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus. Kogan have the Nexus at $599 + delivery atm which is a good price.

teq apparently cant read, phone does not mean iphone.
04:26pm 25/01/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18322 posts
i have been buying from mobicity lately. they sell full boxed phones with a local warranty and are way cheaper than the phone shops. they actually have storefronts so are not dodgy like ebay.
04:29pm 25/01/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
12695 posts
I don't understand the question, iPhones are all the same price at every location?
you just log on to www.apple.com/au/iphone and click buy, it will arrive within 48hrs
I know you're just trolling, but bzzzzt wrong. The US store now sells the iPhone 4S outright and unlocked now and they're all $150 cheaper than the AU store:

AU Store 16GB/$799, 32GB/$899, 64GB/$999

US Store 16GB/$649, 32GB/$749, 64GB/$849
04:36pm 25/01/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1769 posts
Buy iphone from OS, they all have global apple warranty so no need to buy locally.
04:38pm 25/01/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
5911 posts
I have a nexus and I've been happy with it, I came from a iphone 3GS previously. From my understanding the nexus has identical specs to the Galaxy S2 with the exception of the following...

Larger 720p screen
Ice Cream Sandwich Android OS
Worse Camera

I rarely use on phone cameras and wanted a larger screen so I went with the nexus.
04:57pm 25/01/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3928 posts
The S2 has a better GPU than the Nexus as well, worth considering if you want to play 3D games on it. Nexus is also missing the otherwise ubiquitous MicroSD slot.

Personally I've decided to just wait for the S3 and get the best of both worlds :)
06:14pm 25/01/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16164 posts
the internet.
06:24pm 25/01/12 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2795 posts
Got my SG2 from handtec.co.uk. Probably took around a week to arrive. Was significantly cheaper at the time.
11:38pm 25/01/12 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
6332 posts
Telstra is bringing out 4G phone soon so wait for that?
12:24am 26/01/12 Permalink
ctd
UK
9785 posts
Saw HTC has some 4G phone out or about to come out
12:35am 26/01/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12411 posts
I bought my HTC Desire from clove.co.uk a while ago - no problems.
12:43am 26/01/12 Permalink
RUSTA
Brisbane, Queensland
254 posts
I'm in the process of importing a phone with mobicity.

Now the choice of phone is up to you based on what your preferences are. Price. Screen size. screen type. battery life. carrier support(nextG) Operating system. (IOS, Android, Windows Phone 7 etc).

If you want/need a phone straight away and are fan of android a galaxy s2 based phone is the way to go. If not wait for the World Mobile Congress from the 27th February till the 1st of March.

last edited by RUSTA at 01:11:58 26/Jan/12
01:09am 26/01/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3748 posts
02:00am 26/01/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1549 posts
The 4G HTC Velocity just came out in Telstra shops. I don't think this is helping Khel though.

Personally, yeah I'm waiting for probably the SGS3. If you want to wait, MWC will reveal all the new stuff coming out.
02:21am 26/01/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18138 posts
Yeah, I can't really afford to wait, since I don't have a phone at all atm :(

Looking like mobicity or kogan is the go, I went into the Telstra shop yesterday to check out phones, but they wanted me to pay a $300 contract termination fee before they could put me on a new contract with a new phone. I figured f*** that when I could pay a couple of hundred more and buy a new phone outright.

Guess it just comes down to a choice between the SG2 and the Nexus then for me. I noticed on mobicity theres a Samsung Galaxy 2 Skyrocket, is that just a SG2 with a faster cpu?
09:09am 26/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19295 posts
That sounds pretty retarded. I'd have thought they would be happy to give you another phone but extend the contract or something. It'd mean you get a new phone and they get you locked in for even longer.

No insurance or any way to get the phone fixed? I used to throw my old v3 at the wall many times, that bastard was unbreakable. What about a 2nd hand phone from a family member or something?
09:25am 26/01/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5137 posts
How badly did you actually break it? Case and screen is all replaceable but snapped circuit boards only some are..
12:19pm 26/01/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18142 posts
Bit of damage to the case, but the main problem is that when I make or answer a call, I can't hear anything, and the person on the other end can't hear me.
12:45pm 26/01/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7659 posts
I love my Galaxy S2, but I'd probably recommend the Galaxy Nexus. As others have already stated, they're more or less the same, save for a 720p screen on the Nexus (which is nicer to look at), and a slightly better camera in the S2 (which most people don't really care about). The S2 having a better GPU is news to me though. I doubt it's a significant difference.

Also, the Nexus ships with Ice Cream Sandwich, which is a huge improvement over Gingerbread. I don't think Samsung have given a solid date for the S2 update yet.
01:00pm 26/01/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
400 posts
Grab one of these yo!

http://www.whistleout.com.au/ImageLibrary/phones/Nokia-2730-Classic/Nokia-2730-Classic-2-xl.jpg

Nokia 2730 - $48 from Target, Symbian 30 o/s.

It has everything the body needs, plus you get 10 potential work related mash pelt vents for the price of one! Bargain. :)

01:06pm 26/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2510 posts
Also with the nexus having the google name on it, the OS hasnt been mutated by samsung, which all those other companies seem to do because they want to have their phone unique to others.
02:38pm 26/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2512 posts
Thought I might save starting a new thread.

Having looked at the TPG no contract montly plans ($18 for the same deal as optus for $36) it makes buying out a phone (looking at the galaxy Nexus) cheaper than going on a contract.

I know TPG network = Optus network, but does that mean it is the same quality? It's not bastardised or anything where Optus only gives them so much etc etc?

I'm quite happy with the Optus network, so if TPG = Optus, then buying out the phone from say mobicity is really appealing. (and it comes with a 2 year warranty!)
10:17pm 28/01/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7660 posts
Exact same network, so if you're happy with Optus, you've got no real reason not to be on TPG.

I got sick of Optus' network though and changed to Telstra. I'll pay more for some reliability.
12:44pm 29/01/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1188 posts
Just be aware, if you import a phone from OS, it probably won't have the ACMA "tick". If you get caught with it (and I'll admit, the chances of this happening are pretty f*****g slim), there are serious fines attached.

At least, there were a few years ago when I still worked for a telco.
03:26pm 29/01/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2019 posts
That doesnt apply to mobile phones - only to other comms devices (home phones, routers, fax etc.)

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1784
03:39pm 29/01/12 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
9004 posts
Your link keeps infinitely redirecting, but that's not what I understand from this: (EDIT: So does mine. ACMA site sucks - google "acma a-tick" and hit the first link)
The A-Tick indicates that an item is compliant with the mandatory technical standards and can legally be connected to a telecommunications network. The A-Tick compliance label will appear on items such as fixed and mobile phones, answering machines, facsimile machines and modems.

Do all consumer telecommunications items have to have an A-Tick?

Telecommunications items must have an A-Tick or display a compliance label of a previous labelling scheme such as the Telecom Authorisation or AUSTEL permit. Items without an A-Tick or the previously accepted labels may be unsafe and cause harm if connected to the telecommunications network.

You should also be aware that it is illegal to connect telecommunications items that do not carry the A-Tick compliance label and that penalties can be imposed.
06:48pm 29/01/12 Permalink
Mitcho
Wollongong, New South Wales
36 posts
By the way guys, if you buy your samsung devices from outside of australia im sorry to say if you have any problem with the device samsung australia doesn't have international warranty for any devices regardless of what people tell you. Trust me i know since i tell people this everyday when they call samsung mobile support =P
08:15pm 29/01/12 Permalink
hef
Queensland
2005 posts
bought my s2 before xmas for $499 from

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp

Also got an ipad2 for the old girl.. I would buy from them again in a second.

edit: looks like price is now $574 from dwi.
08:58pm 29/01/12 Permalink
Mitcho
37 posts
Not a bad deal there.. I still love the galaxy s2 over the galaxy nexus. They have the same screen but the s2 has a better cpu
05:06pm 30/01/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6713 posts
i have been buying from mobicity lately. they sell full boxed phones with a local warranty

Define "local warranty". In most cases that means a 3rd party warranty company, NOT the manufacturer.

If you're concerned with warranty, you're better off buying from mobileciti (a different company), who sells actual Australian stock at comparable prices, so that a Galaxy S2 you buy will have the full 24 months warranty with Samsung themselves rather than 12 months with a 3rd party warranty company that is usually dodgier and adds extra delays/costs with warranty claims.

http://www.mobileciti.com.au/ (not http://www.mobicity.com.au !!)

last edited by parabol at 17:38:59 30/Jan/12
05:36pm 30/01/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18146 posts
Ordered a Galaxy Nexus, should hopefully be arriving tomorrow. Mmmmm icecream sandwhich
06:54pm 30/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2513 posts
hmm that mobileciti site sells the nexus for cheaper than mobicity. and local warranty is appealing!
07:02pm 30/01/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1804 posts
Velocity is awesome imo.

The colors on the Galaxy Nexus do look awesome tho.

And they both feel quite heavy.
07:25pm 30/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2514 posts
Define "local warranty". In most cases that means a 3rd party warranty company, NOT the manufacturer.

If you're concerned with warranty, you're better off buying from mobileciti (a different company), who sells actual Australian stock at comparable prices, so that a Galaxy S2 you buy will have the full 24 months warranty with Samsung themselves rather than 12 months with a 3rd party warranty company that is usually dodgier and adds extra delays/costs with warranty claims.

http://www.mobileciti.com.au/ (not http://www.mobicity.com.au !!)last edited by parabol at 17:38:59 30/Jan/12

Parabol, have you used either of those sites? Thoughts?

And I guess 3rd party warranty is really s*** compared to manufacturer one?
Ordered a Galaxy Nexus, should hopefully be arriving tomorrow. Mmmmm icecream sandwhich

Which site did you use Khel? Tell me how it all goes! I'll be doing what you've done in a few weeks.
07:58pm 30/01/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6715 posts
Parabol, have you used either of those sites? Thoughts?

I almost bought from mobileciti but ended up purchasing from JB a Telstra version of the SG2 which neither stocked. Check out the plethora of comments and opinions on Whirlpool, as people generally go for those two sites when the newest whatever phone comes out. They are more reputable than crappy bargain or some overseas sites that take forever to ship random models that may or may not be what is advertised, with crappy warranty procedures/delays.
And I guess 3rd party warranty is really s*** compared to manufacturer one?

Manufacturers are more likely to:

a) give brand new replacements in the first few weeks
b) repair your device in the shortest amount of time due to no middle-man
c) be most lenient when it comes to what they will repair

Their reputation is on the line for future product sales, whereas warranty/repair businesses thrive solely on the repairs themselves.
08:40pm 30/01/12 Permalink
Mitcho
38 posts
@Parabol

"Manufacturers are more likely to:

a) give brand new replacements in the first few weeks
b) repair your device in the shortest amount of time due to no middle-man
c) be most lenient when it comes to what they will repair"

A: He is correct, samsung currently offer a 30day ELF (Early life failure )
B: There is a bunch of Samsung service centres placed in all major citys, but be sure to contact mobile support before hand to get a service centre form or the centre will turn you away.
C: You are right there, unless you have wrecked the device, broke the screen, water damage or rooted the device it will normaly be repaired very quickly.
09:00pm 30/01/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18152 posts
Which site did you use Khel? Tell me how it all goes!

From mobicity, very easy process and quick delivery, I'm happy. Phone is awesome too, been playing around with it today. The face unlock is suprisingly accurate, and the voice actions work quite well too. I've been testing it by just talking in a normal voice at a normal speed and it usually picks up what I'm saying and does the right thing.

Except I just tried to show my brother, and I had the tv going in the background which may have affected the accuracy because I was going to make it send a text message to him that said "Lets get Crust pizza for dinner" and instead it sent the message "Lets get crusty vagina". Which while not entirely accurate, was utterly hilarious.
07:34pm 31/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2515 posts
Good to hear. I would love to hear your impressions of the phone in a week or so. If you remember, please PM me :)

If I dont chicken out I'll be getting the phone from mobileciti in a few weeks. Or I save money and keep using my 3GS until the iPhone 5 comes.. but that's a long wait. I just need something to tip the scales. I'm all for new flashy things.

That said, I could sell the nexus when the iphone 5 comes if I dont like it.
07:48pm 31/01/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18153 posts
I really like the pure Android experience without any Samsung or HTC crap stuck on top, loving that atm, feels very streamlined and everything feels very well integrated together (as you'd expect).

Only thing I'm not sure about atm is how to update all the included apps, since all the google stuff like maps, navigation, gmail, google+, youtube, etc are included as part of the phone, when I go to the market they're not listed in the "my apps" part so I can't get auto-updates for them which is a bit annoying.
08:04pm 31/01/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5169 posts
They get updates as google release new firmwares OTA!

As a worst case scenario anyway. Frankly, these apps don't get updates regularly because they hold them up to meet the cycle of a normal firmware update.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

PS: Good choice, the nexus would be the phone I'd choose in a heartbeat over the SGS2. The SGS2 does have a good mod community but you just know you'll still be ahead of the curve of often even the mod scene for other phones without any of the drawbacks of the time investment to find a respectable ROM maker. (well although Cyanogen are pretty reliable for all phones.. except samsung galaxy s/s2)

last edited by skythra at 21:17:42 31/Jan/12
09:16pm 31/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2516 posts
There's actually a bit of controversy atm with the nexus in regards to updates.

There are different builds out there atm. The "pure" version is called jakju and it is that build that automatic updates work flawlessly with. There are a few other versions called "jakjuwu" and other variations that have problems with automatic updating from google itself.

http://androidandme.com/2011/12/devices/not-all-gsm-galaxy-nexus-devices-will-be-updated-directly-by-google/

That explains it better.

It's not a big deal but it definetly kills some of its appeal being able to update straight away when a new version of android comes out without having to wait for your provider to catch up.

edit: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.cbruegg.officialupdate a simple app that tells you what build yours is.
09:55pm 31/01/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18155 posts
Lame, I have one of the versions that gets updated by Samsung instead of by Google. Thats pretty gay.

Might have to look at flashing it with the google one to get the OTA updates, but it sounds like a bit of a scary process. People talking about losing features like HD voice (not that I think I've ever even experienced that so I probably wouldn't miss it) and people throwing around lots of confusing acronyms and model numbers and talking about different radio frequencies and stuff :(
11:46pm 31/01/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1812 posts
The way it generally works is:

There is an ELF "Early Life Failure", which is within the first 30 days of purchase (incl. weekends, pub holidays etc I'm pretty sure) any fault found means a replaceable unit (i.e. boxed, sealed etc) full replacement.

Most manufacturer's during warranty will repair. (after 30 days)

I.e. HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, LG will repair before replacement.

Afaik, Blackberry, Apple and ZTE will replace no worries.

F*****g hate phones, I deal with them all day faults mainly... get in trouble for saying a product has a known fault even though it's on the manufacturer's website!
01:48am 01/02/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2517 posts
Just bought it a nexus from mobileciti. See how that turns out compared to mobiciti.
11:37pm 01/02/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7661 posts
Only thing I'm not sure about atm is how to update all the included apps, since all the google stuff like maps, navigation, gmail, google+, youtube, etc are included as part of the phone, when I go to the market they're not listed in the "my apps" part so I can't get auto-updates for them which is a bit annoying.

They'll still show up under "My Apps" when there's an update available. Android can apply updates to system apps the same as any other.
01:17pm 02/02/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18205 posts
So a brief update, after using the Galaxy Nexus for a while now

Pros
====
- ICS is awesome, I'm loving it so far, getting the pure Android experience without all the Samsung or carrier-specific s*** jammed on top is almost worth the price of admission alone. I love how the contacts work, how you can see the call history for a specific person when you select them and stuff, and it just seems to be much neater than my HTC desire was. Also cool little things like when you get a call, you can either accept it, reject it, or reject it and send an automatic SMS explaining why you didn't answer.

- Very fast and responsive compared to my old htc desire (though I imagine an SGS2 would be too)

- Screen quality is awesome

- Camera is great, I dunno what people are b****ing about

- Even though its bigger than my HTC desire, its lighter and thinner, so I got no problems with the size.

- Haven't played around with the NFC at all yet, but that has the potential for some pretty interesting stuff

Cons
=====
- There seems to be a bug atm, I dunno if its with ICS itself or one of the built in apps, but the phone occasionally just turns itself off. Its not a crash, or a reboot, it just turns off, its really weird. Googling it shows other people having the same problem, but nobody really knows why, and theres no solution. This is by far the worst thing about the phone at the moment, even though its only happened to me a couple of times, its a pretty bad thing to happen, especially if it turns off in your pocket and you don't realise and nobody is able to call you. I'm also paranoid its going to turn off during the night and not wake me up in the morning (cos I use my phone as my alarm clock).

- All the different versions of ICS is pretty gay. Turns out I didn't get the yakju version, and thats the only one updated directly by google with OTA updates, so now I'm stuck waiting for samsung to push out updates. Haven't even had 4.02 pushed out yet and I think 4.03 is ready now, so yeah, thats pretty gay. May end up having to flash the rom.

- The novelty wears off face recognition unlock pretty fast, especially when you realise that different lighting conditions render it almost useless. I took the original photo inside under lights, and it worked fine, till I tried to unlock my phone when I was outside in the sun, and then it didn't work.

- Not all apps work properly with ICS yet, and some just outright crash or cause wakelocks or other nasty stuff. Doesn't affect me too much, cos I don't really use many apps outside of the Google ones, Dropbox, and Handcent, but it could be a Con for the app loving people.

- Voice recognition can be a bit hit or miss. Its weird though, it seems to either be spot-on perfect, or just not understand a thing I'm saying, maybe its also related to the conditions you do it in, background noise, etc. When it works its brilliant though, you just talk at a normal speed, in a normal voice, and it gets it almost 100% right. I've dictated some pretty decent length SMS messages to it and its got every word right, then other times, it doesn't get a single thing and can't even figure out the name of the person I want to send the message to. Apparently Google are working on a new super voice recognition thing though to compete with Siri, so if they build on what they already have, should be impressive.
02:29pm 12/02/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2521 posts
Hey khel I'm 2 days into my GN and im loving it too. Initially I was a bit saddened because at the end of the day stock Android is not as polished as stock ios, so it took a bit of getting used to but now once I got all the aps and widgets I needed I'm finding it better than ios.

That problem of turning off seems to come from the phone getting a "forceful " impact. People are getting it just from walking around. Myself I haven't experienced it yet.

If you're keen on flashing to yakju I can send you a link with step by step guide on how to do it, it takes all of 5 mins. It will reset your phone though.(it's the act of unlocking bootloader that resets your phone not the flashing of the rom itself. also the best thing about the GN is you can relock the bootloader later on if you have warranty problems so 100% safe) Pm me if you have any questions.

Also, 4.0.3 isn't technically out.
01:36am 13/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:36am 13/02/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.