The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Laser Printer Recommendation
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2501 posts
So the family is in need of a black and white laser printer. There are so many out there it boggles me.

Anyone happy with theirs or recommend one?

I'm looking for pure efficiency/bang for buck/cheap maintenance.

speed is not an issue

wifi connectivity is needed

or maybe just some things I should look out for when picking a laser printer?
12:00am 20/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:00am 20/01/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12278 posts
Until I hit the wifi requirement I was going to suggest mine. You can get wireless printer servers though, or printers that have an ethernet port and you can plug them into your wifi router, which will make them available over the wifi network. Might be an option depending on where your router is located.
12:11am 20/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2502 posts
That is an easy solution.

I can easily plug the printer into my router. OK!

So whats your printer pinky? and why is it pro?!
12:16am 20/01/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6704 posts
I can easily plug the printer into my router. OK!

This is generally better yes. Some printers have the most bizarre interfaces for configuring wireless (total pain in the arse if you need to change -any- setting) and even then it's often substandard in terms of connection/reliability.
12:21am 20/01/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20459 posts
There are brother ones that are sold for around $40-50 they are awesome 2140 or something is the model.

Harvey Norman and office works stock theM.I.A. Job done

Brother toners aren't too expensive either
12:23am 20/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19255 posts
I've got a brother HL-22 something or other, it does full duplex printing (prints one side, sucks paper back in, prints other side) and I'm pretty sure it also has wireless, which I never use because I'm a d*******. When I bought it I thought hmm yeah I want wireless so I can print from everywhere, forgetting I could plug the ethernet into my router. DUUURRRRR

got it from officeworks
12:38am 20/01/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12282 posts
Haha, after all that b/s my printer isn't a network printer. Although I have it plugged into my NAS which acts as a print server and it is therefore available over wifi *shrug*. It's an HP LaserJet 1022, and I'd definitely recommend. I also recommend the no-name toner for it, which is much cheaper, but I thought I'd give it a crack and I've been very happy with it.

Would recommend any HP LaserJet really. I've used quite a few, and never had a problem.
12:40am 20/01/12 Permalink
RUSTA
Brisbane, Queensland
246 posts
Brother 2140 doesn't have networking. I do recommend Brother though. Umart has the HL-2270DW for 118 which has both wired an wireless interfaces

http://www.brother.com.au/products/printers/monochrome_laser_printers/hl-2270dw.aspx

last edited by RUSTA at 01:01:53 20/Jan/12
12:58am 20/01/12 Permalink
RUSTA
Brisbane, Queensland
247 posts
Another option is the 5370dw umart has for 318 and theres a $50 cashback at the moment. Has a lower cost per page than the 2270dw ($80 toner for 2600 pages)
compared to the 5370dw ($150 toner for 8000 pages)

http://www.brother.com.au/products/printers/monochrome_laser_printers/hl-5370dw.aspx
01:23am 20/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19256 posts
^^ That sounds about familiar. I did look at my printer but all it says on the back is HL-22 and it's not installed at the moment but I'm pretty sure that's what I have. Has a pretty decent management interface too that you can access using a web browser.
01:25am 20/01/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2503 posts
HL-2270DW looks pretty good right now. If nothing else comes out of this thread I'll probably go and get it.

Anyone personally running that one and can tell me how much it costs to replace/refill? So clueless with printers since I haven't owned one since 2000. Mananged to get throguh uni by printing on campus.
01:42am 20/01/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
1892 posts
fuji xerox from officeworks for $40 ftw,
havent changed the cartridge yet as you get about 2000 pages per cartridge and im only on page 57.
when it does come time, ill probably just buy another printer. heaps cheaper that way.
05:34am 20/01/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5345 posts
Former brother / HP service agent signing in.

Go the brother, its normally the same printer engine in each series btw. So you will find that if it s**** itself you can normally use parts for the same family series to repair.

New carts shouldn't be anything over 60 a throw new.
07:45am 20/01/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20460 posts
Just get the cheapest printer and throw it away when the toner is out and buy a new one, it's cheaper to get a new printer then it is to replace the toner :p
07:48am 20/01/12 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1209 posts
I've got a brother HL-22 something or other, it does full duplex printing (prints one side, sucks paper back in, prints other side) and I'm pretty sure it also has wireless, which I never use because I'm a d*******. When I bought it I thought hmm yeah I want wireless so I can print from everywhere, forgetting I could plug the ethernet into my router. DUUURRRRR got it from officeworks

What?!?! you can do that? d'oh. i must try it
11:06am 20/01/12 Permalink
Denominator
Brisbane, Queensland
909 posts
01:36pm 20/01/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5113 posts
I work for the printer company Ricoh atm and i'm no help to this thread whatsoever.
01:44pm 20/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19257 posts
HL-2270DW looks pretty good right now. If nothing else comes out of this thread I'll probably go and get it.

Anyone personally running that one and can tell me how much it costs to replace/refill? So clueless with printers since I haven't owned one since 2000. Mananged to get throguh uni by printing on campus.

As I said, I've got one but I haven't done a great deal of printing so I haven't had to replace anything in it. The guy at officeworks did tell me that if the drum needs replacing it's cheaper to just buy a whole new printer.
06:17pm 20/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:17pm 20/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.