The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Need a 2.5" sata hdd
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1206 posts
hi all, kinda in need of a 2.5" sata hdd for my brother's laptop. which brand should i be looking at? umart is probably easiest to get to.
does anyone have one they need to get rid of for $?
10:31pm 19/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:31pm 19/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12311 posts
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=132&bid=2&sid=23333

good brand, cheapest one umart has, plenty big enough
you can get a 300gb hitachi for the same kinda money but i'd probably go samsung myself
10:35pm 19/01/12 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1207 posts
ah i think that one is ide doh
10:39pm 19/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12312 posts
right you are, totally missed that
the samsung I mentioned wasn't, same price - http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=132&bid=2&sid=73616

I actually put one of those 300gb samsungs in a mates lappy last year and it's had no probs
10:49pm 19/01/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6701 posts
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=132&bid=2&sid=23333
good brand, cheapest one umart has, plenty big enough

the samsung I mentioned wasn't, same price - http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=132&bid=2&sid=73616

Both are poor suggestions unfortunately. First one has bad reviews (ignoring the IDE bit), and the second one has both bad reviews and not enough in total - a bad combination.
Also while Samsung make some of the most reliable desktop drives (I have several and love them!), their laptop drives are one of the worst.
kinda in need of a 2.5" sata hdd for my brother's laptop. which brand should i be looking at?

Forget brand. Brand means nothing, as my earlier sentence hinted.

Have a look at Western Digital's WD3200BEKT model user reviews: massive satisfaction rate out of >1000 user reviews. Umart sells it: link.

I actually bought the higher up notebook model (WD5000BPKT) a few days ago as it had similarly good reviews. All of this is despite them having some of the worst desktop drives - so no correlation with brand. Just judge a drive based on its model, not the brand behind it.

Compare that to the ratings of the Hitachi (click) and Samsung HM160 Variant (click) - expand the ratings and compare the 1-star percentages between the WD, Samsung and Hitachi.

Just have a look at the SSD failure thread on this forum if you aren't convinced that looking at user-review ratings helps :)

last edited by parabol at 23:39:13 19/Jan/12
11:36pm 19/01/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6705 posts
And since teq brought up the cost issue, if you don't mind buying from someone other than umart, you can get that drive for about $110 incl. shipping (clicky).

Though it's up to your brother and how much he cares about reliability or values his time for potential troubleshooting or warranty claims. If he doesn't care, then get him to get any drive he wants :)

last edited by parabol at 00:44:29 20/Jan/12
12:43am 20/01/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6449 posts
perfect timing. the 500gb seagate momentus 5400 in my laptop failed after less than a month. chucked in the ssd from my desktop and it booted in 5 seconds, everything working fine.

that wd drive looks the go
12:47am 20/01/12 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1208 posts
thanks paradol - that's most helpful. when you mentioned WD i remembered i had a WD passport drive and figured that would have a 2.5" sata drive inside, which it has. looks like i don't need buy one after all (drive probably worth more than the laptop lawls)
thanks everybody!
06:50am 20/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:50am 20/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.