The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Recommend me... PSU for this system
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
160 posts
I'm getting this system fairly shortly and I'm stuck on the PSU. Currently have a 650w and not sure if it can handle in this new system.

Chip - Intel Core i7 3930K Processor LGA2011 3.2GHz 12M Cache 6 Cores
Cool - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 High-performance CPU Cooler
Mobo - Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME X79 8x DDR3 GLAN RAID USB3 SATA3 4-way CrossFireX E-ATX
GFX - Asus ATI HD7970 3GB GDDR5 2MDP/HDMI 3DVI
SSD - OCZ 240G RevoDrive 3 X2 PCI-E SSD
RAM - G Skill 16G(2x8G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(10D-16GBXL)
Case - Thermaltake VN10001W2N Level 10 GT Full Tower Case

Also, is it safe to run a PSU that will oversupply?
04:34pm 19/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:34pm 19/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12308 posts
I think 650 will be fine, i run a similar system from a 750 thermaltake but I have an extra video card (2x540s) and 3 extra hard drives
computers draw power, the psu doesn't "push' power, so yes its safe to run any size you want, as long as it can keep up with demand

long story short, run a 2kW PSU if you want, your computer will only draw what it needs
04:36pm 19/01/12 Permalink
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
161 posts
thx very helpful
04:38pm 19/01/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
665 posts
I cannot recommend Silverstone PSU's enough.

PLENTY of grunt (the 850W PSU has something like 70-72 amps on the +12V rail)
Reasonably priced, and a mate of mine who abuses the ass out of his parts (there's OCing your hardware... then there's OCing it and leaving it in a timber cabinet while you're at it...) has only just had to retire a 650W PSU that he's had for 6-7 years (at one stage running two OC'd nVidia 7800GT's, a P4 and about 6-8 HDD's)

not sure what you're referring to as far as 'over-supply', but if you're thinking it might be along the lines of 'too much wattage' it's as teq said...

Also, if you're after a rough guide (and I can't say that I've used any lately, but I certainly did when I was building my last system) google about for 'PSU Calculators' and don't rely on just using one, hit a few and see what your likely power draw is.

Big killers (if not over-clocking) are running multiple video cards and then tonnes of storage devices. If you're not planning on OCing, the only really 'hungry' device I see there is the video card. ~650W SHOULD cut it, but in my experience (which is more my opinion) won't leave you tonnes of room for loads of extra hdd's etc.
04:45pm 19/01/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2366 posts
The only thing you'd want to check really is if it has all the connectors you want.

Is this PC for graphics rendering? Personally if I was spending a bucket load of money on a 2011 socket I'd want to have a really good PSU.
04:53pm 19/01/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1115 posts
Corsair HX650 - just a great PSU
04:58pm 19/01/12 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2393 posts
You're wasting the money on that system and you're wanting to be stingy on the PSU? ...

Have you even thought where you're going to put the H100 in that ugly ass Level 10?
07:38pm 20/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2070 posts
http://salesberg.com/ebayImage/2011/mar/level10/level10_gt_7.jpg

Not for me, but it isn't that bad, luckily taste is subjective
07:43pm 20/01/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12301 posts
'too much wattage'

F*** I hate this Americanism.

It's 'too much power'. (Power is measured in Watts).

Even worse, 'amperage' - f***n really, America!? Really!?

It's 'too much current'. (Current is measured in Amps).

m3nt4l, can you imagine the dust that would collect!?
10:06pm 20/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12323 posts
m3nt4l, can you imagine the dust that would collect!?

dust is for women to worry about
10:29pm 20/01/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2370 posts
F*** I hate this Americanism.

It's 'too much power'. (Power is measured in Watts).

Even worse, 'amperage' - f***n really, America!? Really!?

It's 'too much current'. (Current is measured in Amps).

Really? You think that power is a better word for describing electrical energy than wattage? The purpose of language is to convey meaning, which word do you think more appropriately conveys the intended meaning?

It's probably not even an "Americanism".
11:44am 21/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:44am 21/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.