The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Our in-depth chat with Watch Dogs Legioin senior producer Sean Crooks, featuring details on Legion recruitment and replacing RPG stats with real-world mechanics...
Who Watches Who? Watch Dogs Legion Developer Interview
Ahead of Ubisoft Forward, we got hands-on with Assassin's Creed Valhalla and had a chance to speak with one of the game's producers...
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Preview - Bloody, Brutal, Viking
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey
Hardware news: New AMD Dual GPU series coming soon
E.T.
Queensland
4136 posts
AMD are gearing up to ship their new range of duel GPU cards designated 7950 and 7990. Effectively, what they are doing is giving you crossfire grunt but on one card. In theory, this should give the likes of us super speed without the power consumption overhead.

To help further with power consumption, they are introducing something called ZeroCore.
AMD ZeroCore Power3
Ultra-low idle power when the system’s display is off
Secondary GPUs in an AMD CrossFire™ configuration power down when unneeded

Along with all the other features we come to expect, I also found these offerings listed on the AMD website.
AMD HD3D technology4
Stereoscopic 3D display/glasses support
Blu-ray 3D support
Stereoscopic 3D gaming
3rd party Stereoscopic 3D middleware software support

Eyefinity gets an upgrade as well:
AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology1
Up to 6 displays supported with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport
Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
Display grouping
Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display

But, do we really need onboard audio?
Integrated HD audio controller
Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

With up to 6GIG of DDR5 Ram onboard, these puppies are going to sing. I currently run a 5870 with 3 monitors in Eyefinity. It looks like it may be time for un upgrade :) Word on the net is we should expect to see the new offerings unleashed this March.

I cant wait to to see the reviews.
02:17pm 03/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:17pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6335 posts
Dual, not duel. I don't want my GPUs fighting each other, no wonder AMD GPUs don't perform as well as nVidia ones, they're too busy using their cycles on f*****g each other up!
02:26pm 03/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1921 posts
I like having onboard sound on the video card, when it's just a tv ep, or kid's are watching something on the tv from the comp I just use hdmi, when I want to watch a movie with surround sound I turn it on, and change the output in sound.
02:28pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
4729 posts
I think I'll stick with nVidia still. No problems with my GTX 570, runs awesome. And I have had plenty of ATI cards in the past, all seem to crap out or only be good for so long.
02:33pm 03/01/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12238 posts
yeah pretty much f*** ATI ever again, I've done my dash with them and they've proven to be completely crap
Nvidia have it locked down as far as I'm concerned
02:35pm 03/01/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4137 posts
Raven, fixed, ta.

Wow Teq. I've been so happy with my 5870. That's why this was exciting news for me. I've never had a problem with it.
02:39pm 03/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1922 posts
Yeah never had a problem with a 8500, 9600xt, 9800xt, 4850, 5850 and 6970
02:43pm 03/01/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4038 posts
As good as the reviews look for this card I too have learned to never buy ATI again. Just flat out crap and not worth my money ever again. The amount of driver issues and game compatability problems is staggering. Nearly every game released has that made for nvidia movie on it so i'm switching when they release their line of cards to compete.
02:50pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
4730 posts
I also don't trust AMD in general now for their crappy CPU line that is the FX series. Just plain rubbish, and goes to show they don't really give a rats anymore.
03:01pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Quietly Screaming
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
I have the Asus HD 7970 DC2 card and it's great! It's factory overclocked to 1000MHz and the performance is fantastic. I have a dual monitor setup, although this beast of a card can support 6 at once! Plus, with the Asus GPU Tweak software that comes bundled with the card, I can easily adjust the clock speed, fan speed and voltages with a few clicks of the mouse. Asus also changed the thermal design for the card to support the overclocking, and I think it shows. The card runs reasonably quiet, relative to the amount of power/performance it's pushing out.

I couldn't be happier with my card and would highly recommend it to anyone what asks, specifically the Asus spec 7970.
02:42pm 30/03/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5329 posts
I also don't trust AMD in general now for their crappy CPU line that is the FX series. Just plain rubbish, and goes to show they don't really give a rats anymore.

Not sure that's truth at all, but they don't have the infinite money for RnD that intel do and Nvidia were always bigger than ATi too. So they've got two core parts of the company which are just slowly falling behind. I thought when AMD bought ATi they'd make the obvious choice: fire the software developers and build a brand new unified driver architecture from ground up that worked.

Nearly nothing is wrong with ATi on the physical side (obvious exceptions aside) but across their whole range the driver side has been balls from day 0.
02:54pm 30/03/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2502 posts
I've never had a problem with ATI drivers or cards, in fact the only cards I've owned that have died have been nvidia. I don't discriminate though, PC hardware in general is flaky so if a card or two dies I tend to look more at the manufacturer rather than the chipset.

More importantly though is the rumours of both the next gen Sony and MS consoles will be based on AMD cards which means that we will continue to see a lack of support for nvidia tech like physx in games.

Also wtf is Viglink?
02:55pm 30/03/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4240 posts
ATI cards are good now that AMD owns.. the drivers are actually stable and the cards run really f*****g cool compared to the old ones. Had my top line 5900 for a couple years with zero problems. time to upgrade!
02:57pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6098 posts
That's a 2 month bump, wow.
03:01pm 30/03/12 Permalink
mrmatt
133 posts
I also have not had problems with my ATi cards, rather the one nvidia card (6600gt) where I had driver issues. Ati have always provide good performance and good prices Nvidia being that bit better at great expense. This 7000 series is the first time I reckon Ati have gone after the dollar knowing that they could.

I'd be intrested in the 7950x2 not crazy power hungry or hot, still happy with my 6970 for a while longer yet though.
03:02pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Quietly Screaming
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
ATI cards are good now that AMD owns.. the drivers are actually stable and the cards run really f*****g cool compared to the old ones. Had my top line 5900 for a couple years with zero problems. time to upgrade!

Dude. The time to get is now! - http://www.asus.com.au/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/Radeon_HD_7970
03:18pm 30/03/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2009 posts
I've never had any problems with any nVidia card and always found ATi drivers a total pain when I had to deal with other people's PCs, but I don't know if the drivers were generally terrible or I just wasn't used to how everything was, having had nVidia for so long.

Brand wars aside, I would personally steer clear of anything SLI/CrossFire related, be it 2+ cards or 2 GPUs on the same card just because it introduces a whole nother horrible level of complexity to the software side of things, unless the driver pain was genuinely worth it for a huge bang for your buck improvement (which I have never actually seen from benchmarks).
08:42am 31/03/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16529 posts
had ATI cards for ages and never had a problem

side not to teqs complaint, he was trying to run like 4 monitors off 1 card or something stupid
09:23am 31/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:23am 31/03/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.