The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Our in-depth chat with Watch Dogs Legioin senior producer Sean Crooks, featuring details on Legion recruitment and replacing RPG stats with real-world mechanics...
Who Watches Who? Watch Dogs Legion Developer Interview
Ahead of Ubisoft Forward, we got hands-on with Assassin's Creed Valhalla and had a chance to speak with one of the game's producers...
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Preview - Bloody, Brutal, Viking
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey
is this build good or not?
Woblzz
Queensland
1 posts
hey guys, basically just wanted to know whether or not this build was alright for my gaming needs. not going to be ocing, was just going to keep it all stock, and be playing games like bf3, sc2, d3( if it ever comes out) and swtor.

CoolerMaster 850W Silent Pro Modular $169.50

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $55

Asus GTX560(ENGTX560_TI_DCII_TOP)1G TI TOP DCII 2DI GDDR5 $ $276

Gigabyte GTX560 OC TI 1G 900Mhz GDDR5 PCIE HDMI DVI $249

Intel Core i5 2500 Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU $225

Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M IntelliPowe CaviarGreen WD10EARX $111

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 4xDDR3 HDMI GLAN 2xPCI-E USB3.0 SATA3 RAID1394 ATX $224

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Socket 1155 Intel Z68 Chipset $220

Antec Nine Hundred Two Ver3.0 Black Gaming Case $140

can also notice that i have a gigabyte mobo and graphics card, and also a asus version. was wondering what is the better on to go for? should either brands be avoided for any reason? thanks a lot guys for all your help
03:20pm 30/12/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:20pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1618 posts
gigabyte card on gigabyte board imo,
03:27pm 30/12/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4378 posts
semi hijack - which vid card is best bang for buck, BF3 ownage for under $300?
03:37pm 30/12/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6659 posts
Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M IntelliPowe CaviarGreen WD10EARX $111

A green drive is probably not a good choice as a primary drive. Also that model isn't super reliable.

Would recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F3 (1TB) over that.
03:38pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
4694 posts
Avoid Green HDD's, they are the lowest spin for buck. I would honestly wait until end of January/start of Feburary before getting anything, prices will usually drop, and HDD prices are going to take a dive soon as well.
03:51pm 30/12/11 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
570 posts
semi hijack - which vid card is best bang for buck, BF3 ownage for under $300?

If you can get your hands on an unlockable 6950 id get that

If not just get the cheaper out of ATI 6950 or nvidia 560ti.
04:04pm 30/12/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15952 posts
asus ftw

you listed 2 video cards, but they are different brands?
05:41pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7151 posts
dont buy asus.. i will never make that mistake again no matter how many anus fan bois try and prop them up
06:03pm 30/12/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15954 posts
asus are the best, i suspect user problem otherwise
06:10pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7152 posts
i have had 2 anus boards diaf
1 sound card which is s***
2 graphics cards which died

all asus

dont buy asus
06:13pm 30/12/11 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2382 posts
1 sound card which is s***
What did you buy?

Asus Essence STX ftw.

S*** dies on both brands, though I personally witnessed far more Gigabyte stuff fail than Asus whilst working at CA. But my PC has both brands in it currently. So I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over one particular brand.

last edited by step at 18:37:01 30/Dec/11
06:29pm 30/12/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6660 posts
dont buy asus

^^ Absolutely ignore silly blanket comments like that.

ASUS sells both good and bad hardware. There's no correlation between their graphics cards, sound cards and motherboards. A bad or good experience with one category has very little relevance with buying a different product from a different category.

In fact there's often little to no correlation between hardware in the same category - i.e. one motherboard model might be fantastic and rock solid, but the follow-up model might be totally unstable and buggy, and a sister model is average. Same goes for pretty much all hardware manufacturers (gigabyte, seagate, samsung, etc).

Hence read user reviews/ratings of the specific model of whatever you want to buy from whatever manufacturer.

(Disclaimer: there are however a handful of exceptions - such as Shintaro which targets budget hardware. No surprise their products fail often, but you know what you're in for when you buy stuff at that low price)

last edited by parabol at 18:36:42 30/Dec/11
06:31pm 30/12/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1881 posts
asus are the best, i suspect user problem otherwise

this statement bugs me, it is like saying Nissan are the best car maker (they are not btw)

Asus make good products in some fields, I wouldn't say their video cards are the best, (and this is partly my gainward fandom coming through here) but gtx570 (using umart pricing here) asus have one offering, it is okay, some might say good, (which would be true), however there three gainwards, two with higher clock speeds, all at lower pricing, so which it best?

parabol i think offered the best advice as to which is better,

also, maybe look at a different video card, there are a few there that are around the same price, and while they have a lower clock speed, have more memory, and hell http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=82&bid=2&sid=79635 is like 5 buck more, and has a higher clock speed
07:00pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7153 posts
asus zonar dg - s*** software and was a pain to install
asus gtx280 died
2 x asus mobos'(cant remember models) express gate wouldnt work and had all sorts of problems setting it up - many endless loop reboots and other assorted s*** - which all ended up being mobo related

i made the mistake of listening to the anus fanbois on this forum and got burned too many times

never again

thats my personal experience
07:38pm 30/12/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6661 posts
i made the mistake of listening to the anus fanbois on this forum and got burned too many times

Sounds like you listened to a handful of vocal people rather than doing your own research. No one to really blame but yourself. Popping a hardware model into google and reading user-ratings / forums for a few minutes is enough to unearth most strengths and flaws of a product - you don't even need much technical expertise for that.

Can't find much info on a product/model? Then simply avoid it and find a more popular product - and by popular I mean selling in high enough volumes such that people have commented on their experiences.

(btw, frothing at the mouth and calling them "anus" is cute)
08:10pm 30/12/11 Permalink
kos
Germany
1894 posts
I never buy Asus now either but it's not from good or bad experiences with hardware performance or reliability.

In all my past experiences with Asus hardware their software and drivers have been an absolute pain to use.

In my experiences with them they only seem to be able to make s*****, grinding, uninspired bloatware for utilities and drivers. That may have changed by now as I haven't bought Asus in years but it was certainly the case a while ago.

Asus are not a bad brand, but (in the past at least) their software has been really poor. And on top of that there are almost always other better equivalent products from other brands.
08:43pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Woblzz
Queensland
2 posts
Thanks for all the quick replies guys, ill be sure to change my hdd to the samsung 1TB, that was one of the parts of the build that i was most concerned about to be honest, didnt understand the *green* part of the hard drive. : ) ill hopefully be getting this pc mid next week, see how it goes.
08:44pm 30/12/11 Permalink
kos
Germany
1895 posts
I don't know if this means for purchases from December 31 or for supply shipments from December 31, but there is this. Quick get one online right now!
08:48pm 30/12/11 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
8735 posts
Asus fanboy signing in. Had heaps of their gear and no problems.
08:53pm 30/12/11 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2384 posts
In all my past experiences with Asus hardware their software and drivers have been an absolute pain to use.
It's not rocket science to install drivers, no matter which board you get.

Download AMD / Intel chipset drivers from them directly.
Basically leaves you with lan & sound drivers
Video card drivers you should be getting from AMD / Nvidia too.

I really don't get how you could struggle with any of it?

Their sound cards have basically the easiest software to configure

but (in the past at least) their software has been really poor.
For what?
09:05pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Woblzz
Queensland
3 posts
been reading a few reviews and found the MSI GTX560 TI Hawk 950Mhz 1G DDR5 HDMI DVI ATX SLI TWIN FAN $279, but iv read that MSI are a little unreliable, was wondering if it had any merit to it, or is it just one of those things. that all brands are good and will do the job, thanks again
09:51pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Dethon
286 posts
My last puter has MSI gear - it benchmarked very fast compaired to asus etc and was cheap.
The mobo died eventially.

I just built a new rig and the gigabyte mobos on average are faster than asus.
I've had issues with asus before and tend to think of them as bloated gear that you pay thru the nose just for the name.
Quality none the less but usually more exxy for slightly slower performance.

Never had a gigabyte thing fail and they r well priced and fast usually.
this new build is:

Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155 3.4GHz CPU
Gainward GTX580 Phantom 3072Mb PCI Express (Looking at 3 monitors next year and beats all for price and performance as is)
Corsair Obsidian 650D Black Mid Tower Case with Window (love it)
Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series
Corsair HX-1050 1050W ATX Modular Power Supply ( future proofing for SLI)
G Skill 16G(4X4G) DDR3 2133MHZ PC3-17000 CL9(L9Q-16GBZH)
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 4xDDR3 HDMI GLAN 2xPCI-E USB3.0 SATA3 RAID1394 ATX
11:18pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19117 posts
This is what I just built:
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
i7 2700K
16GB G.Skill DDR3 F3-1700CL9-4GBXM
2 x Gigabyte GTX 570OC
M4 128GB SSD for windows
2 x 1tb WD black in RAID 0 for storage
Antec 1000W PSU

I have no idea what drugs you must smoke while installing your stuff. All my computers in the past have been Asus, this is my first Gigabyte computer and in both cases all you do is go to their site, download the drivers (or use the cd rom if its your first and only PC) and install. It couldn't be any easier.

Why do you think they changed how people say their name from ays-us to ah-soos? Everyone was calling them anus 5+ years ago.
12:08am 31/12/11 Permalink
rthy
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Does it really matter which brand you get these days?

Iv owned asus, gigabyte, msy, gainward, inno3d, dell, hp, seagate, kingston, apower, adata, etc... and none of them failed (except for westerdigital and fujitsu... however that was the old IDE HDD days)

Bench tests would be the next thing to check, but would be like a 1-2% worth of bragging rights for the same type of hardware.
12:20am 31/12/11 Permalink
kos
Germany
1898 posts
For what?

As you said, LAN and sound drivers I've both had issues with in the past. Was a good 5 years ago now, but all the s*** I had to go through was enough to put me off willingly dealing with Asus hardware in the future.

I have no idea what drugs you must smoke while installing your stuff. All my computers in the past have been Asus, this is my first Gigabyte computer and in both cases all you do is go to their site, download the drivers (or use the cd rom if its your first and only PC) and install. It couldn't be any easier.

Obviously drugs that aren't as strong as those you smoke because I wasn't talking about installing drivers, I was talking about using them, as I clearly said. And I was also talking about utilities, like diagnostics and temperature monitoring.
02:19am 31/12/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19119 posts
ok, you don't "use" a driver, you install it, windows uses it. Clear as mud girlfriend.
02:35am 31/12/11 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7154 posts

keke
05:32am 31/12/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6327 posts
Is there a particular reason you have 560s from two different manufacturers listed?
That's the one thing that stands out to me.
05:37am 31/12/11 Permalink
kos
Germany
1899 posts
ok, you don't "use" a driver, you install it, windows uses it. Clear as mud girlfriend.

You can argue semantics about what exactly is the driver component and what is the utility component and what constitutes "use" and who does the using all you like sister, the fact remains that I found Asus to be significantly s****** than other brands.
09:23am 31/12/11 Permalink
Woblzz
Queensland
4 posts
Is there a particular reason you have 560s from two different manufacturers listed?
That's the one thing that stands out to me.

first time building a pc, and wasnt sure if there was a difference in brand at all, if there was certain brands to avoid or anything, but from reading most of the replies i can see its really all the same : )
09:34am 31/12/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19121 posts
you're doing it wrong kos

first time building a pc, and wasnt sure if there was a difference in brand at all, if there was certain brands to avoid or anything, but from reading most of the replies i can see its really all the same : )

It's best to buy the memory and video cards at the same time and use the same brand of each. That way you're not mixing die size, speeds, and other such weird things that can affect performance and stability.

Not to mention the gigabyte OC cards are overclocked from factory, that's what the OC means.
10:48am 31/12/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
7627 posts
Is the mobo & CPU a good combo? I'm looking to upgrade from an E8400 as I think that's now my bottle neck.
11:12am 31/12/11 Permalink
kos
Germany
1900 posts
you're doing it wrong kos

no u r
12:10pm 31/12/11 Permalink
Woblzz
Queensland
5 posts
in regards to the gtx560 ti oc. has anyone had any issues playing bf3?
03:46pm 01/01/12 Permalink
Zylox
Brisbane, Queensland
1518 posts
I went back to Gigabyte after Asus and regretted it. All the green features that was one of the attractions for me caused major instability which I had to disable and the software is s***.
05:21pm 02/01/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7158 posts
i have a gainwood gtx570.. i would go with that if you want to run bf3

i play on my 40" screen so i need a res of 1900x1080 and the 570 and above are the only ones that will do it
08:06pm 02/01/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1887 posts
^^ this, plus it is a f*****g great card, good bang for buck
08:10pm 02/01/12 Permalink
Woblzz
Queensland
6 posts
man, id love to get that gtx570 but its like $50 out of budget haha, how does it stack up to the Asus Radeon HD6950 2GB, stock vs stock?
11:02am 03/01/12 Permalink
Bobblybook
Melbourne, Victoria
12 posts
man, id love to get that gtx570 but its like $50 out of budget haha, how does it stack up to the Asus Radeon HD6950 2GB, stock vs stock?

http://www.hwcompare.com/9021/geforce-gtx-570-vs-radeon-hd-6950-2gb/

Also, they aren't "equivalents" to each other.. GTX570 <--> 6970, 6950 is approx. in performance to the 5870.
12:35am 25/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:35am 25/02/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.