There’s a great game at the core of Diablo: Immortal.
Diablo: Immortal Review - Sanctuary Lost
DreamHack Melbourne represents the first time the festival will hit our shores, and it’s on track to become Australia’s requisite gaming event of the year.
DreamHack Melbourne 2022 is Going to Be Huge
Thanks to the Bethesda ANZ, we've got an amazing custom The Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S console pack to giveaway in Australia!
Win This Amazing Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S Pack
Overwatch 2 is launching this October, and with a big reveal stream showcasing what's in store, we break it all down...
Overwatch 2 - Everything You Need To Know
New Smoking Laws
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
1665 posts
Not gaming related, but something I feel pretty strongly about, so you'll have to absorb my slaw. From the Courier-Mail:
RESTAURANTS, pubs and clubs will be given 12 months to ban smoking in indoor eating areas before offending patrons face a $1500 fine.

The State Government will also ban promotion and retail advertisement of tobacco and other smoking products in its long-awaited crackdown on passive smoking.
Aseeef that doesn't rock! I don't have anything against smokers (except I think that you're crazy), but when people light up in enclosed areas, that just plain sucks. Be awesome if these laws kicked in in nightclubs as well so everyone could go home without reeking of cigarette. California has had laws like this for some time - in fact, I think its illegal to smoke indoors in _any_ public place there - you so notice it when you're there, its just incredibly awesome.
10:58pm 03/04/01 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:58pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
73 posts
Ummm, if these laws where in nightclubs at least half the patrons would be pissed off...
besides the ciggeret smoke smell is part of going to nightclubs.. and the beer smell, and the toilet smell, and the.....

(btw I dont smoke)
11:01pm 03/04/01 Permalink
mxe
Brisbane, Queensland
1686 posts
what a bunch of f***...

ahahahahhahahahahahahha
11:06pm 03/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1666 posts
well half those patrons can kick my sweet non-nicotene stained buttocks
11:09pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
77 posts
hrm It'd be strange if yuor arse had nicotene stains on them. unless you smoke through yuor arse.. now thats a party trick
11:10pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
470 posts
i'm planning my holiday to the states atm...

i've just found out that smoking is banned on ALL international flights!

WTF! man - 16 hours without a durrie. I'm gonna die

11:11pm 03/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1667 posts
that reminds me of this one time, at band camp...

seriously, smoking sucks
11:11pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
79 posts
HAHAH, people who dont smoke are the real men.

We dont NEED filters!
11:13pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
471 posts
* N U K E D *
11:15pm 03/04/01 Permalink
wog
Brisbane, Queensland
153 posts
CLUBS !*#Y!*#&

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH GOD NO !!!!!
ANYTHING BUT MY PRECIOUSE CLUBS !@#$%%^&&&(*@*&&!^#! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11:16pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
191 posts
gaymofo
11:23pm 03/04/01 Permalink
|cdRegn
Brisbane, Queensland
20 posts
smoking makes my c*** flacid
and so do lots of O's
11:27pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
76 posts
i dont mind abusing my body with alcohol (coz up to a certain point its good for you) but smoking is just that one step to far. it IS a designer drug. there is relatively no difference between smoking and doing soft drugs like pot and s***. whats the point? you are sacrificing your body for a few minutes of stress relief... or weight loss if thats your excuse. jeez, it just all flys over my head as to why...

Tung
11:27pm 03/04/01 Permalink
|cdRegn
Brisbane, Queensland
21 posts
* N U K E D *
11:28pm 03/04/01 Permalink
|cdRegn
Brisbane, Queensland
22 posts
and to whoever nuked me

* N U K E D *
11:29pm 03/04/01 Permalink
creepingdeath
Brisbane, Queensland
153 posts
wtf
why is thread so wide?
11:38pm 03/04/01 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
38 posts
*nods at trog*

yay for this law

weeeeeeeeeeeee
12:28am 04/04/01 Permalink
Einstein
Brisbane, Queensland
857 posts
Wine is good for you

other types of alcohol are not, so get it right

as for no smoking in nightclubs, that seriously sucks, outside will be crammed with 300 people all trying to smoke

anyone who's been to city rowers will know what i mean

try getting outside and up and down those f*****g steps with so many smokers going for nicotine

that is so seriously f***ed =/
02:54am 04/04/01 Permalink
cdRegn
Brisbane, Queensland
1814 posts
I dont smoke, but supporting a ban on people from doing something just because you feel strongly about it is pretty weak.

That'd be like vegetarians passing laws against people that eat meat.
Laws like this are for f****s, people should have the choice if they want to slowly destroy their respritory system with a quick stress relief.

Our government wanted to ban internet pr0n ffs, wake up to yourselves.
05:43am 04/04/01 Permalink
Dilbert
Brisbane, Queensland
234 posts
its for health reasons
like come on, is there any smokers out there who actually care about where they light up????
geez ...
05:45am 04/04/01 Permalink
cdRegn
Brisbane, Queensland
1815 posts
adding to the above, it should be the choice of the RESTAURANT if they want people smoking in designated eating areas, not the iron fist of the f***ed in the head government.
05:46am 04/04/01 Permalink
Splash Damage
Brisbane, Queensland
780 posts
what are you guys doing up this early?
05:50am 04/04/01 Permalink
Dilbert
Brisbane, Queensland
235 posts
going to uni in 5 min
i have an 8am lecture
and busses arent reliable

05:53am 04/04/01 Permalink
Dilbert
Brisbane, Queensland
236 posts
ohh and have to start the macgyver episode downloads before i go
05:57am 04/04/01 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
77 posts
acid, the main reason that this is happening is that people smoking affects others. Im slightly asthmatic (born with it, never had any astham attacks since moving here) and i know how bad it gets when people light up all around you... internet pr0n is harming noone but your poor little eyes.... but smoking actually harms others. and its not jsut a simple case of 'why dont you just go away?' sometimes its not that easy.

Tung
07:15am 04/04/01 Permalink
dem0n
Brisbane, Queensland
238 posts
I am not a smoker. Nicotene makes me hack & cough & irritates my eyes. But I would not support the banning of it or even the restrictions of designated areas ... why ? Because these are controls we do not need !!! If someone is a pub puffin' away & it bothers you go and tell them or put up with it ! Is society turning into such a big crybaby that it needs the government to legislate them a puffyfluffy comfort zone !!??? I can see the cause for restaurants ... even most smokers don't like passive smoke while they are eating but even this should be left to the restaurant owner in my opinion.
I don't like the smell of boiling coffee & caffiene is a horrible drug for the human body ... BAN IT !!??
I don't like smelling homeless people in the valley ... BAN IT !!??
I don't like the smell of beer on people's breath ... BAN IT !!??
As for the health issue ... people that smoke take the risk , people that don't smoke should be more worried about the Factories & vehicles that pump carcenagens into the atmosphere everyday at a rate that dwarves a bit of puffin' in pubs n clubs. Safety-crats make me sick.
08:12am 04/04/01 Permalink
wog
Brisbane, Queensland
154 posts
Heres cheers to dem0n

Hip hip...Hooray!!

got it in one champ :)
sif dem0n dont rox yez
08:26am 04/04/01 Permalink
Chod
Brisbane, Queensland
152 posts
Yerp its a good law...
I have had enuf of having to move in a cafe or some s*** coz some f***** mofo decides to smoke in front of me...
Its a disgusting habbit. And i dont hold anything against smokers. But i think this law is WAAAAYYY Over due.

Chod.
09:06am 04/04/01 Permalink
natslovR
UK
78 posts
I think the key thing is that employers have to provide a safe working environment for their staff and the staff of other businesses that they do business with. If their premises is full of cigarette smoke then it is not a safe working environment.

It's changes in occupational health and safety legislation that have brought about these bans on smoking, just like it's now illegal to have a child work 40 hours a week in a mine, it will soon be illegal to have toxic carcinagens floating about in a workplace. People producing these fumes will be fined.

People will still go to nightclubs if they ALL are non smoking. You can stay home and smoke, or you can go to a meat market and pick up.. but not smoke. As if there's an issue there.

And on the vegetarian front, we don't need to ban the consumption of meat - certain European developments are making people see the light and any banning unnecessary.
09:12am 04/04/01 Permalink
Freewheelin
Brisbane, Queensland
218 posts

my local has an eating area to the side of the public bar. its in the same room. i know that this pub would sooner take out the dining area altogether rather than having to ban patrons from smoking at the public bar.

its only the eating areas so its really of no great concern
09:21am 04/04/01 Permalink
cdRegn
Brisbane, Queensland
1819 posts
gg dem0n

Health reasons? The effect of passive smoking on peoples health is absolutley d*** f*** all.

There isnt smoking in most workplaces, people go outside.

Asthma sufferers, surely they are just as affected by the pollen from a flowering tree in spring as passive smoking from someone at another table in an air conditioned restaurant.

You pro ban f****s just want more stupid dumb laws that stop people doing what they want with thier own lives.

If a restaurant wants to make thier establishment non-smoking they'll do it .. but the fact is that most dont because that would drive smoking customers away .. when the fact is that most of us non smokers couldnt give a fat rats as long as the food is good.
09:25am 04/04/01 Permalink
tref
Brisbane, Queensland
5 posts
I am a smoker and can't stand people smoking around me while I'm eating. Wrecks the meal. But by the same token a quick ciggy after the meal is good, though not as good as the post nookie ciggy. : )
09:48am 04/04/01 Permalink
Moridin
Brisbane, Queensland
923 posts
Got nothing against smokers (dont do it myself) but I HATE it when youre walking along behind someone and he/she turns around and blows his/her fetid smoke right into your face. Goddamn that pisses me off.
10:02am 04/04/01 Permalink
natslovR
UK
79 posts
Acid, think about it. What indoor places that would be affected by a ban are NOT someone's place of work?

There's a case in court at the moment where a bar maid is after half a million dollars as she's dieing because of cancer most probably bought on by passive smoke inhaled during work at a club for 30 years. She'll probably win too. Her employer didn't provide a safe work environment.
10:09am 04/04/01 Permalink
eloquent_loser
Brisbane, Queensland
6 posts
I certainly wouldn't like to breathe second-hand smoke when I eat. However, I go to restaurants at least 3 times a week and am asthmatic as well (I don't smoke). I can't even remember the last time a smoker bothered me in a restaurant. It is in the owner's interest to ensure they don't. No further legislation is necessary, or justified. Maybe if the government pays the property owner's rates and taxes, then they will have the right to decide what vices are allowed on private property. I have been to California, and the situation there is absurd. People are not allowed to smoke at open air tables in coffee shop courtyards even when there is no one else around. As for nightclubs, if the owner allows smoking and you do not like it, don't go. It's called voting with your feet. :) These days we are all very tolerant of things like race and sexuality, but when it comes to being tolerant of other people's foibles, idiosycracies, vices or opinions quite frankly we suck. :)
10:10am 04/04/01 Permalink
dem0n
Brisbane, Queensland
240 posts
Hah ! That says it all natslovR !! It is more about legalities & law suits than anything else. This isn't about safety dammnit ! There are a lot more dangerous things in our current society such as transport, alcohol, caffiene, PCBs, fluro-carbons, etc ... This is about enforcing social niceties & liability.

I don't like it if people blow smoke in my face or smoke near where I am eating either ! But as I said in my previous post ... I don't like a lot of things ... that doesn't mean they should be arbitrarily banned.

I reckon that the world now has too many laywers & to compensate the government pumps put stupid laws to keep them all busy ;o)
10:42am 04/04/01 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
613 posts
I can understand where they're coming from with this law, I mean, you can't really compare it to not liking the smell of coffee; smelling coffee for a prolonged number of years doesn't stand the risk of killing you after all. Maybe its a bit of an over-reaction, but I can't say I disagree with it either.

Sure theres lots of bigger problems than second hand smoke, but you gotta start somewhere. If everyone kept on about "Why bother doing [blah] when theres all these bigger problems: [blah2], [blah3], [blah4]" then nothing would really ever get done.
11:19am 04/04/01 Permalink
Guardian
Brisbane, Queensland
99 posts
if you smoke you are gay
11:21am 04/04/01 Permalink
silver_ice
Brisbane, Queensland
118 posts
there are sweet f*** all studies into passive smoking that provide CONCLUSIVE evidence that it is harmful in anyway - it may irritate the eyes as all sorts of f***en smoke does but it has yet to be conclusively proven that it is harmful and a cancerous type of way. The b**** in the bar probably has a f***en hereditary pre disposition to the cancer, and thinks she can make some cash for her nuptials by sue-ing the company.

I hate s*** like that, another example is when some ex-druggo f***** says oooh my mate smoked pot and got schizophrenia - BULLS***!! the f***** had a pre-disposition to it, it would of come without the drug you brainless f***.

*Disclaimer - I neither smoke nor do waccy tabaccy - it just s**** me when these brain dead drug f**** who you know are still using try to educate a bunch of other drug f**** to stop using.
12:30pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Crunchy
Brisbane, Queensland
135 posts
I am a smoker and i am not gay thank you very much (except when acid is around :)

I do support the ban on smoking in restuarants, simply because, as before mentioned its gross smelling smoke while your eating.

But as for pubs and clubs, gf i mean you dont go to a pub or a club for the bettering of your health, and if soooo many ppl dont want smoking in these places, as you would expect to warrant the legislation, then why dont you go out and open NON SMOKING Pubs and clubs.

But i seriously doubt you would succeed, because the majority of ppl (my opinion) dont give a flying f*** about passive smoke in those situations.
12:36pm 04/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1668 posts
Laws like this are for f****s, people should have the choice if they want to slowly destroy their respritory system with a quick stress relief.
They sure should, the point of these laws ISNT to stop people smoking - its to stop people smoking near other people and slowly destroying OTHER people's respiratory system.
12:56pm 04/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1669 posts
Health reasons? The effect of passive smoking on peoples health is absolutley d*** f*** all.

ahaha

Asthma sufferers, surely they are just as affected by the pollen from a flowering tree in spring as passive smoking from someone at another table in an air conditioned restaurant.
ahaha

You pro ban f****s just want more stupid dumb laws that stop people doing what they want with thier own lives.

As I said above, if people want to kill themselves with smoke (something that has been medically proven to cause lung cancer and strokes and all sorts of nasty stuff) then that's their choice. I do bad things like have drinking binges, which I'm sure aren't good for my liver, so I can't be too hypocritial.

As someone that has been to hosptial once because of passive smoking, I think I can state quite firmly that passive smoking DOES have an effect on other people. I was at the Gold Coast Big Day Out a few years ago and absorbed HEAPS of second hand smoke (both cigarette and pot) and had the worse asthma attack I've ever had; I had to drive myself to hospital and get on a f***** nebuliser before I could breathe well enough to drive safely home, by which point I was pretty panicky and called a doctor - basicically I've never been so scared in my life as I was then. Not being able to breathe is not much fun.

When I was heaps younger, we were getting our house renovated. We moved into our grandfathers for a while, and he had a little room out the back where our computer lived. I was playing games in there one night, and woke up in the middle of the night almost totally unable to breathe. Turns out my uncle had been in there during the day - smoking.

I was born with asthma and have had to deal with it all my life; until the incident at the BDO it had been bearable, but after that it got significantly worse. I've had to be a lot more careful with my medication and my surroundings; I _hate_ being in places now where people are smoking because it makes it hard to breathe.

I'm not an expert in the medical stuff behind asthma, but I know I'm not affected by pollen or any of that other s*** (though I am affected by some things, for example we have a room under our haus that has really icky air - really humid and heaps of napthalene flake-smells in it sort of thing), which annoys my lungs. I avoid that - easy.

But avoiding cigarette smoking is something that is not always under my control (which is, obviously, the whole point of these laws). Now I can go to a restaurant or whatever and not have to worry about people smoking next to me.

Some people in this thread have made what are pretty poor analogies to this issue - smoking is something that is medically proven to be bad for you, and as far as I'm concerned passive smoking is no less bad, except it can affect everyone around you.

I hope this explains a little better my personal interest in these laws, but I'm a long time believer of being respectful to other people and making a little effort to try and make other people's lives better anyway; if I was a smoker there's no way you'd catch me smoking anywhere near people that didn't like it.
01:13pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
401 posts
i wonder when they'll finally get around banning smoking in public altogether, then i can walk down the queen street mall without having to inhale the second hand smoke of idiots.

that'll be the day.

oh and trog, i know how you feel bout your asthma and how being in an area with people smoking aggravates it.

Im asthmatic, and all I can basically say is after my dad stopped smoking, my asthma has improved..

Whats that? no effects on other people from second hand smoke? good one.
01:21pm 04/04/01 Permalink
cerb
Brisbane, Queensland
1204 posts
Quote from dem0n:

If someone is a pub puffin' away & it bothers you go and tell them or put up with it

Thing is, if you ask someone, there's people out there that'll go "it's a free country" and give you the finger.

Quote from AcidReign:

The effect of passive smoking on peoples health is absolutley d*** f*** all

There was a case (in America, I believe) where some guy - I think an ex-employee of the restaurant in question - sued the restaurant owner because he was suffering the same health problems as a smoker, yet he never smoked a day in his life. That's the main reasons behind things like this - if you allow people to smoke, then you may find yourself in court over passive-smoking related issues.

My dad's uncle lived his whole life with his sister and her husband (my nana and pop). For almost 20 years my pop smoked like a chimney, yet the uncle never smoked. Who died first? The uncle. Of emphysemia - a typical smoker's desease.

I used to suffer from asthma but don't so much nowadays, but if there's someone nearby smoking, I start going into coughing fits and get wheezy from their smoke. Anyone who doesn't know what that's like cannot possibly understand how much I hate smokers. I don't care if you want to smoke, just don't do it near me!

At qgl lans, I hold my breath usually as I go outside because of all the guys standing in the doorway smoking. I have no real problem with them smoking there, because it means they aren't smoking inside, but can't you at least move away from the doors, perhaps 2 meters? :)

Like others have said in this thread - I'm not in favour of them altogether taking away your right to have a smoke and slowly kill yourselves, but I do agree to them banning it from public, crowded (and even not so crowded - the Gabba Cricket Gounds has no smoking whatsoever in the entire complex) places where others have no real choice about inhaling second-hand cigarette smoke.
01:41pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Einstein
Brisbane, Queensland
867 posts
Smoking in resturants is just f***ed

Pubs and clubs? I would f*****g spew if i couldn't smoke with my alcohol

Thanks to drinking a bottle of scotch in 2 hours for my 18th birthday, i'm now alcohol intolerant.

I have to smoke with my drinks or the next person would wear it. The government is a f*****g c*** for this law and i hate them for it. Why even bother f*****g going out at all, i go to a club for the atmosphere, the whole miasma of deoderant, female hormones, smoke and alcohol. I'm not going to spend my clubbing nights sitting outside freezing my ass off because being inside means depriving me of the 2 things that makes the night worthwhile.

F*** you all c***ing non-smokers, bid for a no-smoking section with special air ducts or something ffs
01:51pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
310 posts
I can't understand why people say that laws like this aren't needed. You're seriously kidding yourself if you think that people are able to go about their day to day life while not being told how to do things.

People need to be told what to do, simple as that. Get over yourselves - you cannot exist in a society without guidance, you are a mere imperfect human being. Accept it, and cop it sweet.

I'm glad when they introduce laws like this because it means the people that refuse to consider others around them are now prevented from affecting as many people as often. It's a pity that consideration for others and acceptance of responsibility for actions isn't also taught and enforced more.

All existing non-smoking laws and signs should be changed to specify that the smoke from a person's foul habit must not enter a non-smoking area. How idiotic are people who go and stand outside a doorway to smoke, only to have the air carry the smoke right back inside again.

DUH

02:01pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Einstein
Brisbane, Queensland
870 posts
Jim's raised half a good point there

Who the f*** is actually going to go smoke 50 metres from the doorway?

Noone, the whole plethora of smokers combined exhaust will blow right back in the door thus affecting the people who don't smoke AGAIN

Hence this law is stupid and pointless
02:04pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Doober
Brisbane, Queensland
68 posts
WHICH TOSSER THINKS PASSIVE SMOKING DOESNT KILL?? WHAT A COMPLETE IDIOT!!!
It's YOUR smoke that makes others ill. YOUR FAULT, not theirs. You're reducing THEIR life expectancy.
Sure you are free enough to be a fool and smoke if you want but go do it some bloody place else thanks.
02:06pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
404 posts
einstein, jim said just outside the doorway. 50m as you said, isnt just outside the doorway.

the smoke would actually dissipate before it got to the door, unless you had a damn strong wind behind you blowing towards the door.
02:12pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Einstein
Brisbane, Queensland
875 posts
ffs

read closer

i said AS IF people would stand far enough away, they would stand close to the door anyway

Who the f*** is actually going to go smoke 50 metres from the doorway?

Noone, the whole plethora of smokers combined exhaust will blow right back in the door thus affecting the people who don't smoke AGAIN

der

jeez, i'm sick of spoonfeeding the children on this board

02:16pm 04/04/01 Permalink
shrapsaq
Brisbane, Queensland
25 posts
sifnt smoking
02:18pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
405 posts
ooo s*** sorry einstein, i forgot seeing as your name represents your intelligence, you must spoonfeed us

*bows down*
02:19pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Geekboy
Sydney, New South Wales
18 posts
Smoking is kewl. You can pick up chicks pretty easily if you smoke, 'cause you can ask them for a light. I think its great and encourage everyone to take it up.
02:37pm 04/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1670 posts
/me thanks geekboy for doing evolution a favour by weeding out all the people stupid enough to follow his advice :)
02:39pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
408 posts
trog - cmon, thats worth a darwin award :)

or a cluepon!
02:43pm 04/04/01 Permalink
cerb
Brisbane, Queensland
1205 posts
I agree with the rules at Griffith University (as well as probably other universities, etc) - there is no smoking in buildings, or within 3 metres of any doorway.

In this case it is not to stop the smoke getting inside, it is for the fact that if the building happens to be the science building and there happens to be an experiment going on that may release flammable gas, you don't want to risk blowing up half the fricking campus just coz some knob wanted to suck on a cancer stick.

I can't believe the way some of you people think! I think you should stop for a second and look at how you view smoking-related debates, coz I think those cigarettes are affecting some crucial part of your brain and affecting your thought patterns!

So you like to smoke? So the government wants to ban it in certain places? So what?!

I like to drive. I'd like to drive fast. But poor me - the government kind of frowns on that. How would you like it if I went driving up and down your street at 200km/h while you and your family played in the front yard? You'd come running out and go "Stop that! You're going to kill us all! Have some consideration cause we LIVE here!"

I know there's only a vague link between that and smoking, so here's a better example:

What about if some big industrial company started dumping their toxic waste in the creek that runs through your nearest park? You'd be screaming to your council going "our kids will get cancer and die from it!!" Passive smoking is a slightly smaller scale that that, but not by much., and the end result is essentially the same.

Geez, Like Jim said - cop it sweet!
02:55pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Einstein
Brisbane, Queensland
879 posts
8 billion something people on this planet and you're all interested in preserving/extending life?

Sorry just struck me as amusing =)

This in no way relates to my other posts btw
02:58pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
311 posts
How come it struck you as amusing?

There might be 8 billion ppl, but I'm primarily concerned with my own life, my family's and others close to me. I'm not sure how I can offset the value of their well being just because there's plenty of other ppl alive.

03:03pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
618 posts
Yeah, sorry if I'm kinda attached to my life, dont know how I could let something stupid like THAT happen.
03:07pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Creepy
Melbourne, Victoria
28 posts
What I find is really awesome, is when you go out of the movie theatre at Indooroopilly, or out of the Airport terminal, and basically get *bathed* in ciggy smoke

That's where I'd like to see a ban. :)
03:11pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Mental Patient
Queensland
129 posts
* N U K E D *
03:15pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
312 posts
I can't work out who's side this guy is on
03:18pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
963 posts
Koopz just wack a dozen or so nitoret patches on for the flight and you'll be fine.....if not a little jumpy :)
03:59pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Dogmatix Man
Brisbane, Queensland
147 posts
I hate cigarette smoke. I can't stand it. I'm a minor asthmatic, and when I'm around smoke, I have trouble breathing properly. Now, it's not my my fault that I have this illness, and there isn't anything I can do to stop cigarette smoke from irritating me. However, the government can (in a way), by introducing these laws. Well done, government!
04:11pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
144 posts
I'm a non-smoker and I've had asthma before. Only once have I had it seriously however.

I'm generally not one for the Government imposing restrictions on people's freedoms but when those freedoms represent a clear and present danger to the lives of *other* people....thus, I oppose censorship, but don't oppose these smoking laws for example.

Like a few other people in this thread, I find it disgusting walking amongst smokers down the street etc. them blowing their smoke into my face. I also generally don't like to hang out near the door at QGL because of all the smoking going on there. I put up with it at pubs and clubs but I certainly don't like it and the cigarrete stench left on my clothes afterwards is repulsive. But it's the risk to my health that most makes me wish that smoking was banned in public places.

As to why smoking is allowed anyway, when there are banned drugs that aren't as bad for the smoker/drugged-up-f*** or for third parties I don't know....all I know is, it shouldn't be done in public where it could affect me.

BTW, I believe there are roughly 6 billion people in the world at the moment. But that hardly matters. I sort of value my own life and those I care for more than I do for the rest of humanity.
04:12pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
964 posts
F*** I'M SICK OF PPL B****ING ABOUT SMOKING.

I have been a smoker for just over 18yrs apart for
1 yr I had off the smokes.If the government was serious
about doing something positive to reduce smoking
related health problems then they'd just straight out
ban it.

As far as ppl b****ing about somking in clubs and pubs
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GO TO THE BOTTLE SHOP TO GET YOUR
PISS AND F*** OFF HOME.
F*** the next thing they'll ban from pubs is the
f*****g beer because to many ppl get pissed and beat up
whinging little sooks,which will cost the country heaps
in health care.

To me none of these laws have any credibility when bought
in by a government that goes right out of it's way to
tax the hell out of tabacco so they can make a quick
buck.None of which gets put into health care I might
add.

Incase you haven't noticed this issue realy s***'s me
04:16pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
145 posts
Blah. I'm glad they tax tobacco. Maybe they can use some of it to help pay the medical bills that smoking causes.
04:26pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
313 posts
If you're sick of people b****ing about smoking, you'll find it easy to empathise with people who are so sick of smelling the stench in so many places they go during their day to day routine.

04:34pm 04/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1673 posts
haha, an angry smoker, absorb!
05:13pm 04/04/01 Permalink
[mercenary]
Brisbane, Queensland
94 posts
smoking blows ;)

-sorry bout the non-constructive post :P
05:19pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Stealth-Dog
Brisbane, Queensland
356 posts
sorry but i say F*** U ALL... i smoke and i think its downright rude that u ppl can go on about how much of a bad habbit it is...u wanna know what i think???? Mind yer own F***** business.....i do what i like to do and dont give a f*** what u say......some of u probably have habbits that i dont like....but u dont see me givin u s*** about it do you?? .......sorry bout all the swearing but i just find that some ppl just have double stndards...Jase...SoulHunter
05:46pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Pumped Full Of Pot
Brisbane, Queensland
227 posts
ok thats me Stealth-Dog :) thats my new name incase no1 had noticed
05:48pm 04/04/01 Permalink
ArcticRanger
Brisbane, Queensland
22 posts
F*****G QUIT IT one person that smokes near me i find it hard to breathe when i enter the city i find it hard to breathe
05:54pm 04/04/01 Permalink
ArcticRanger
Brisbane, Queensland
23 posts
Taipan GET A F*****G CLUE THEY CAN"T JUST MAKE THOSE SORT OF LAWS Everyone of the certain type of politicians must vote on it and go through all this process bulls*** THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE F*****G POLLUTION GARBAGE CAN
05:57pm 04/04/01 Permalink
shogun
Melbourne, Victoria
211 posts
Woah long thread here, so lets end it right now.
If you smoke, find something healthier that doesn't affect the people around you, to get your kicks and quit the smoking.
05:59pm 04/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1674 posts
but u dont see me givin u s*** about it do you??
Are you guys even READING this thread? The point isn't about whether or not your should be allowed to smoke, its whether or not you should be allowed to smoke in a manner and a location that puts other people's health at risk.

You wanna kill yourself, go ahead, but don't take me down with you, k plz thx bi.
06:12pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
78 posts
trog put it as sweetly as anybody could have.

We are not saying that you should stop. i have friends that smoke and it doesnt bother me that they smoke, just when they smoke around me in a palce where it can AFFECT me. out in the open is alright, becuase there is enoguh circulation of air to actually dissipate it, but in places like the mall and in restauraunts its a tad bit uncomfortable... especially when your airways start to clsoe up... i mean u'll never get rid of smoking in a pool hall or whatever, so i know i am gonna have to live with it, but please realise the situation we are in. there are certain places where the effects of passive smoking is magnified, and thats what the government is trying to stop here.

my five dorrah minus 4 dorrah ninny ed cen

Tung
06:28pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Lash
Brisbane, Queensland
76 posts
I don't know if trog's mentioned that he has bad lungs, but I think it's pretty safe to say that I have easily the worst lungs here as well. What I DON'T want is to have people smoking inside of buildings where I have to go.

I eat in a restaurant with my food, and some guy smokes. That's just sick for me and my food. I go to a club, inside people smoke full on and it's a haze. I try to stay away from it, yet sill my clothes and hair stink of smoke when I get home. I could ask people to stop, but we all know they wouldn't.

People who say that second hand smoke does nothing are full of s***. There are multiple studies which say that it does, just not as bad as you were smoking yourself. Saying "it doesn't hurt you because it hasn't been substantially proven!@#@!#" is just a narrow minded and myopic view - because YOU think it hasn't been proven means that it ISN'T true. Stupid.

As for people who do smoke, if you're not smart enough to realise that you're killing yourself, then you're seriously brain damaged and need severe help. If you are smart enough to realise you are killing yourself, then by god DO IT AWAY FROM US and in a way that does potentially NOT ANNOY OR HARM any of us.

All I'd like to add that smoking is a drug. The current trend is to believe that second hand smoke DOES hurt us. Therefore, it is the governments right to ban it indoors from people who don't do it. Anyone who believes otherwise needs there head read.
06:37pm 04/04/01 Permalink
eloquent_loser
Brisbane, Queensland
7 posts
You might say that smoking precipitates asthma attacks in some people. So does perfume. So do flowers. I walked down a street in Paris once and nearly died. I had walked past a florist. So ban it..after all, flowers give people pleasure, but not me - I don't give a f*** about flowers ;) It is that kind of selfish attitude that will create a society where everyone else is responsible for our problems. As in America, where there is always someone to sue over personal health, copyright, patents, whatever. Break into someones house and drown in their swimming pool..sue em, they should have had a sign up saying 'water is dangerous'. There are always people around that do things I don't like. The law is a last resort, I try to deal with it using common sense and maturity, qualities that are evidently in short supply in this country now. :) Manage your asthma properly, take your goddamn medication and you will find that smoke rarely causes life threatening attacks. As for the consequences of passive smoking, I would be more worried about the particles and electro-magnetic fields emitted by computers. Think about it. Not to mention the trillions of other health risks that are so cruelly visited upon us by other people, such as colds, flus, vehicle exhaust, fungal infections, wars, legal enforcement of moral doctrines...and STRESS! Stress will kill you much more quickly that a bit of smoke. So everyone should chill out, let other people do what they want to do, respect other people's physical property rights, and stop trying to legislate human perfection. It isn't going to happen any more than I am going to 'cop it sweet' and sit silently while injustice, or more commonly base stupidity, is perpeptuated in the name of politics. =)
06:45pm 04/04/01 Permalink
eloquent_loser
Brisbane, Queensland
8 posts
I wish I could remember to use paragraphs..all that smoke has had a deleterious effect on my psyche.. :P
06:47pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Dogmatix Man
Brisbane, Queensland
151 posts
"It is that kind of selfish attitude that will create a society where everyone else is responsible for our problems."

That's the entire point. You are responsible for our problems. We are at medical risk because some people don't want to walk 50 meters to the closest door. Is that fair? I think not...
07:01pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
146 posts
Mmmmm...anthrax...maybe I should go around inhaling (and spreading) anthrax all over the place. SO WHAT IF IT HURTS ME! IT WON'T HURT ANYONE ELSE SURELY!!! I mean there's this one study by this big Anthrax company that says it's never caused any problems and they only put those warnings on the packets saying: Anthrax Kills! because they've been told to, not because it actually does. But yeah. All you losers that whinge because you might get hurt when I breath anthrax all over you need to get a life! I mean, getting hit by a meteor can kill you too!! hahah! So as if I should not be allowed to take anthrax in public places! If you don't like it then you should just go someplace else and let me take my anthrax where I want to!!!! Damn you none anthrax takers! Nothing but whingers!
07:01pm 04/04/01 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
258 posts
I got asthma from passive smoking (my dad smoked alot)

so what if my asthma came from smoking.
ppl have been smoking for ages y try to ban it indoors now?
Oh and BTW I still sit around ppl that smoke...I'm a addicted passive smoker
meh
go figure.
07:06pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
477 posts
i don't blame the govt for banning smoking in public places. for people who enjoy jumping on the "Smokers Suck" bandwagon, get a life.

you guys suck more nausitating gases walking down the street, or driving down the road with your windows open than you'll ever know. btw... said car exhaust is highly carsonegenic, and is far more likely to give you cancer than some guy sitting in a pub enjoying a quite beer while having a durry.

i would feel better having the Govt enforce ceiling air cond that sucks up air/smoke/peoples bo, than banning something. Big brother is indeed watching, and I can see his logic. I just think he's a fool for thinking he can save everyone.

=)
07:17pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Crunchy
Brisbane, Queensland
136 posts
Geekboy : Smoking is kewl. You can pick up chicks pretty easily if you smoke, 'cause you can ask them for a light. I think its great and encourage everyone to take it up.

/hangs head in shame at not being able to make it yellow

I think geekboy is really Peter Morris in disguise !!!

as i said before i dont care where smoking is banned except in pubs because, as the smokers will agree with me, there is nothing better than a pint and a smoke
08:25pm 04/04/01 Permalink
SacredSperm
Sydney, New South Wales
70 posts
Except maybe the value inherent in watching someones screams of agony, as they inadvertently walk past, breathe in a s***load of toxic smoke, and suffer a coughing fit or asthma attack?

:P
08:53pm 04/04/01 Permalink
SacredSperm
Sydney, New South Wales
71 posts
Oh, wait...the coughing would prevent them from screaming in agony.

Spose its less fun now.
08:53pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Guardian
Brisbane, Queensland
101 posts
i repeat once again, smoking is gay and ppl who smoke are gay!

im not asthmatic, nor do i suffer from any allergies, or whatever.. the reason why smoking is gay, is cuz its f***ign gay!
i guess i should justify why it is gay, but i dont' really have a reason, i just don't like smoking, it smells like s***, u feel like s*** after hanging round ppl who smoke as some ppl might agree with me (or not) that after leaving a place full of smoke, you just have this feeling on your skin, its discomforting and it makes you feel dirty.. i dunno, maybe i am weird, but eitherway, i hate smoke! it has no beneficial effects for anyone, 'cept for smokers who want to gain their daily high cuz they need to relax..
i dont' know why, and i dont' mean to offend ppl who smoke, but ppl who smoke, i tend to think of them as being weak willed and insecure.. their lives must be very stressful if they need to smoke to relax throughout the day. another thing i tag to smokers is (for some, not all) laziness! as being an employee for red rooster (yeh, yeh, laugh it up) i can tell you that having to work with ppl who smoke is really gay and annoying, not only do i have to do more work, cuz they are constantly going out to have a smoke break (i onnce counted, after working with an unnamed employee, they, over a perid of 5 hours, had 8 smoke breaks! wtf!! and at, estimating, 5 mins a break, thats 40mins!! of a 5 hours shift?? is it me, or is that totally gay!) i have to smell the s*** even when i am at work! when do i not smell it?? only when i am at home, even then, my mum sometimes smokes,and that is f*****g annoying, can't get away from it!! argh!

well, tell you the truth, i am not very good at justifying my beliefs, but i hate smoking, not smokers.. smoking just seems to change ppl to a certain degree, whether it be good or bad, usually bad, its gay! just another, somewhat, haulucinogenic drug for insecure ppl who are not happy with their lives to indulge in because it is legal..!
gay!
08:55pm 04/04/01 Permalink
WarT
Brisbane, Queensland
2193 posts
all i can say is BOUT TIME
08:55pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
965 posts
Rukh if you read my post I made a point of mentioning that the Goverment does not put the tax from tabacco into the health system.It was a highly b****ed about point about 18 months ago just after they added yet more tax to it.

I have always found that reformed smokers are the worst
one to b**** about smoking,but at least they have
some idea of both side's of the story.As far as the
rest of you who have never smoked are concerned,it's
pretty easay to say"yeah f*** smokers and yeah it
should be banned in public places" because it's not
something that you enjoy doing.

It's just like someone
who b****** about wanting tougher gun laws that has no
interest in shooting.

JIM smoking is already banned in shops and place where
food is served(for the most part anyhow).So I'd like
to know where the f*** you spend all your time to
make a comment like,everywhere you go you can smell
the stench what a load of s***.
09:14pm 04/04/01 Permalink
c0rr
Brisbane, Queensland
33 posts
I dont mind ppl smoking, just keep it away from me.
09:16pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
966 posts
I wonder if pubs will increase the size of their beer
gardens to keep the smokers coming back?

Because I for one won't be going to a pub that doesn't
have a beer garden that I can smoke in and I dare say
I'm not alone in feeling this way.
09:20pm 04/04/01 Permalink
SacredSperm
Sydney, New South Wales
73 posts
Taipan, you're saying that because we don't smoke, we should shut up?

The smoke kills us as well (if you hadn't noticed).

09:22pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
967 posts
Just a quick thing on the tax and tabacco situation.
I don't pay tax on it because I buy black market
tabacco and make my own smokes.

It's cost me between $50 and $60 and tht saves me about
$280 a month.

F*** the government and f*** taxes they are taking
advatage of ppl's addiction to smoking to fill their
coffers.Just like they know how relient ppl are on
petrol so they tax the hell out of it,the same can
be said of beer as they know ppl just won't stop buying
it.
09:30pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Doober
Brisbane, Queensland
70 posts
Spot on guardian, i can't help but think that somehow smokers are so weak that they need drugs to make them feel better. When you get down to it that's basically it - drugs. I suppose alcohol counts too but it has a much smaller lasting effect. The latest analyses' of smokers shows that the biggest factor in making you suffer smoking related illness - or death - is not how much you smoke but the age at which you start. Myself i cannot see how people start smoking. You know it's VERY BLOODY BAD for you and surely you're strong enough to resist any BS peer pressure or something?

I hate it so much when smelly smokers come into airconditioned lecture theatres and sit next to me (or anywhere else really). Don't they realize everyone in the room can smell their vile stench? I'm not exaggerating they really smell like total s***. The second they walk in the door half the room looks their way to see which poor sucker is addicted.
09:32pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Crunchy
Brisbane, Queensland
137 posts
One solution to the smoking problem is for the government to make smokes extremly expensive and completly out of ppl's price range, instead of gradually increasing the tax on smokes as to line there pockets

If John Howard sees this(heheh) please, please , please do a Dr Evil impersonation
09:38pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Doober
Brisbane, Queensland
72 posts
Stuff it, just ban the damn things. They do nothing for society, in fact they hurt it quite a bit.
09:40pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
968 posts
Sperm no thats not realy what I'm saying but if your
so worried about your health then what the f*** are
you doing hanging around in a place thats full of it.

Personaly I think of myself as a fairly considerate
smoker.I don't smoke while ppl are eating or if someone
ask's me politely not to or in other ppl's cars and
homes ect ect ect.What I do hate however is wankers
that grandstand with little consideration for how hard
it is for smokers to give it up.

When I started there was next to no education on the
effects of tabacco so I was fairly ill imformed.Had
I been given more info on the matter I probably would
of thought about it more.
09:51pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Doober
Brisbane, Queensland
75 posts
I did kinda assume 99% of people here are about 15-19 y.o. I can sort of understand how hard it can be to give up something that you really WANT to do.
09:58pm 04/04/01 Permalink
c0rr
Brisbane, Queensland
40 posts
What a wasted 100th post
10:00pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Doober
Brisbane, Queensland
76 posts
Only 1st and 666th count :)
10:11pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
86 posts
As much as I hate smokeing, Its part of the pub. It shouldnt be in shoping malls, buses, busy streets, and other placers where non-smokers hang out.
And anyways, acroding to socialogists the non-smokers are gaining in numbers, and thus the Norm for society will tend towards non-smoking, as the trend leans towrds non-smokeing, the penalties for smokeing will also increase. Such as no smokeing in malls and whatnot.. So its only a upward battle for your smokers. go on you might as well quit.. but then you'd be a quiter... LOL its a lose-lose situation for smokers.
10:13pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
315 posts
Taipan - daily, my wife and I drive into the city, park there, work, eat lunch, work more, then drive home.

We cop the first wiffs of the stench from the person hanging their cigarette and blowing their smoke out of the window in the car next to us or car in front of us in the traffic as we crawl along bumper to bumper. Literal clouds of smoke leave their vehicle and blow directly into our windows, open to help us avoid becoming uncomfortably hot as we sit in the traffic and absorb the sun's rays.

Next, it's right after I park the car in a multi-level carpark, and wait for the elevator. Apparently, the distance between the car and the elevator is too great to traverse without having a quick smoke. It seems the thing to do is to enter the small room where the lifts are accessed while exhaling the last puff of the cigarette. We also get to enjoy their freshly fouled breath as they ride down in the elevator.

If I try and walk ahead of them after exiting the elevator, I'll be lucky enough not to be walking in the wake of their next cigarette as I walk up mary st heading for eagle st where I work.

It's safe to say though, that I'll absorb the stench many times en route, regardless of whether or not I manage to keep ahead of the smoker who came down in the lift. Apparently, many smokers are ok with smoking as they walk along amongst other people.

Yay, I reach the bulding I work in where many smokers are gathered outside the doors puffing away. Oh look, another one decides to exhale the last lungfulls of smoke as she enters the revolving door. Yet again, I refrain from inhaling until I figure I can take a breath without tasting their foul exhalation. Another joyous lift ride, but this time only up 4 floors, and in a larger lift. If it's not full, I won't have to absorb the rancid breath.

By the way, did you know that I can clearly distinguish between the smell of smoke that a smoker has exhaled, and the smoke that drifts from the end of their cigarette? It wasn't until someone smoking in very close proximity to me turned around and exhaled right in my face that I realised that that particular stench was from exhaled smoke, and made the distinction between them.

Lunchtime - got an hour or so to get away from the office, so I head out for some lunch. Yikes, smokers everywhere, inconsiderately smoking as they walk down the streets that are being used by any number of other people.

Oh look - some people are smoking at the perimeter of the wintergarden food court. The breeze coming in blows it right on inside. Awesome. I'll try and grab a seat right inside to escape it. My choices are now considerably limited, but in the interests of not starting a scene, I'll refrain from standing up ona table and explaining to the smokers at the perimeter that the whole idea of not smoking inside the food court is so that the people inside aren't engulfed by the horrid smoke, and therefore moving to the very edge of the food court and allowing their smoke to simply blow back in again is blatently rendering the exercise useless, YOU F*****G MORONS.

After eating, I'll stroll on up to Allen's music store to see what's new in the guitar world. The queen st mall is PACKED with people expunging the foul crap from their lungs, completely and utterly regardless of anyone around them.

Don't even try and claim it's a load of bulls***.

Blame the government, blame people jumping on some imaginary bandwagon, blame everyone but yourself.

10:32pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
96 posts
Its ok, smokeing is on the way out.

I laugh at the kids who smoke at trainstops now, because now less and less of thier friends do it, making smokeing less cool, and then they will be stuck with a s*****, expensive habbit that non of thier friends do.. O ehe the money they save on not eating food (apatite supresent anyone?) goes into smokes.
10:35pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Doober
Brisbane, Queensland
82 posts
lol toll booth willy, those darn people stopping smoking are nothing but rotten quitters! what horrible wimps they are!

I was walking through hawken building at uni the other day and some smoker walking past me going the other way blew smoke out right in front of me! I was half a mind to smack him in the head and say 'that's just me compressing my life's enjoyment to fit, seeing as you've just made it 4 minutes or so shorter'.

What was it they (the proverbial THEY) reckoned? 4 minutes shorter life expectancy for every breath of cigarette smoke?
10:43pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
969 posts
Guardian if your dumb enough to pick up the slack
at work for someone who's going out for breaks all day
then thats your problem and you can't b****.bludging
on your work mates is f***ed but if you let them do it
then your part of the problem.

And when it comes to ppl needing drugs like smokes to
get through the day,what do you think I just woke up
one day and thought*f*** my life is stressfull I
think I'll take up smoking* how f*****g stupid.

Like beer and a few other things when I was young I
thought I'd give it a try(yes it was a mistake)And as
much as I thought it would be easay to give it up
it turned out that it wasn't.If you have never smoked
then you have no business judging ppl on how weak they
are.
10:51pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
79 posts
One of my friends started smoking when she was 14, out the back of the indro carpark... yay she was popular.... but now no matter how hard she tries, she still cant stay off it for long enough. Its a sad situation. I would prefer the government trying to figure out better ways to help those that want to quit, as well as preventing the yuonger children from picking it up.

I was walking to my car the other day when two 15 or so year olds came up to me and asked me to buy them a couple of packs of ciggarettes, tellnig me theyd give me some if i did it. I told them where they could stick their ciggarettes and tried to explain to them why i haet smoking - not because it hurts me, but the fact that its essentially a drug not unlike marijuana, jsut lethal to a different part of your body. To whcih tehy replied, 'we do pot as well, its really cool.' at that moment i wanted to open my boot, take out the two cricket bats i had in my kit and wallop both of them until they died of brain haemorrages... at least i could claim that they hurt themselves in a drug induced stupor...

Why is it popular to abuse your body? pleaes tell me, i seem to have been left out of the loop here... i see 2 points that MAY start people smoking.
1) Peer Pressure - whether its 14 year olds telling each other smoking is cool, or whether its playing poker with ya mates and not wanting to be left out
2) People somehow think this is the most efficient form of stress relief... well, if thats the case, why not kill yourself? its does the job quicker and it gets rid of your stress faster...

please, someone enlighten me here

Tung
10:56pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
970 posts
Jim did you think at all about what you just wrote?
Mate the odd puff of cigarette smoke blowing past
your car window is the least of your worries while
sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.But I guess you
think thats ok because you have a car?thats ok you
fowl the air your way and I'll do it my way.

It's seems here that ppl don't give a s*** if it
siuts them not to but if it's someone else then f***em
eh we'll b**** like hell.

Mind you I do agree with what you send about some ppl
lighting up on short walks across a carpark only to
blow their last drag at you as they step through the
doors of the elevator.That is pretty inconsiderate and
not something I do.
11:07pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
971 posts
When are you dumb arse's going to listen ppl don't take
up smoking to relieve stress once they are addicted
they use it to relieve stress(not all do though).To
be honest I smoke 1.because I realy do like it(the
strange thing is I couldn't even tell you why. and
2.because yes I'm addicted,something I'll be making
an effort to deal with soon.

Most ppl I know from when I started did it because
everyone they hung around with did it .I wasn't presured in to it I just wanted
to try it.At the time I thought I could stop any time
I wanted but before to long I was addicted just like
all the other suckers of course it's something I regret
now though.
11:21pm 04/04/01 Permalink
SacredSperm
Sydney, New South Wales
74 posts
Taipan,

You may have noticed that their are many attempts to create less polluting cars, to help clean the air. Higher fuel efficiency, different engines etc etc.
There's also regulations on how much your car can pollute etc.

The ban on smoking indoors is trying to clean the air inside. Same type of thing done different ways.

If you can design a cigarette that means none of the foul smoke pollutes the air, then smoke, I won't care (except for the fact that smoking sends the need for medical funding through the roof, increasing taxes etc).

Until then, there are gonna be regulations on where you can smoke.

Also, I realise that quitting is difficult. Its why theres a lot of money spent on trying to encourage people to quit, and to help them through it.

Its also why I think the ban on cigarettes is being done gradually. Gradually eliminate places where people can smoke, and gradually increase the price. Its all trying to dissuade people from smoking or continuing to smoke.

(Hope this makes sense, kinda.)
11:26pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Lyco
Brisbane, Queensland
320 posts
Ahh yes, this Amendment is long overdue IMO, and I just think it doesn't go far enough! Anyway, as a budding lawyer, I thought I might shed some light onto the situation :)

If anybody is interested in reading the Bill that was tabled in parliament yesterday (3/4), The Tobacco and Other Smoking Products (Prevention of Supply to Children) Amendment Bill 2001 can be foundhere.

Note that according to the Hansard, it has gone through it's First and Second readings, and is now at the stage where it must sit for at least 13 days I believe. It is at this point where there is a bit of community consultation involved, but it is usually too late for that by now. The Bill should be passed (by virtue of the overwhelming Labour majority in the Qld parliament) during the next sittings on 1,2,3 May.

Most of the relevant sections will then come into force on 31 May 2002. If you have trouble finding the bit that we are concerned about here, it is actually s26 of the Amending Act (linked above), and the proposed insertion of Part 2B is the topic of debate.

Note that the ban on smoking in enclosed places is tempered by the following provision:
(1) A person must not smoke in an enclosed place.
Maximum penalty - 20 penalty units.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to the following -
(e)licensed premises other than the following areas of the premises
(i) dining areas while meals are available for consumption or
being consumed;
(ii) gaming table areas of a casino;

So they have specifically excluded licensed areas bar those mentioned. Just imagine if that phrase hadn't been included? No smoking in enclosed licensed areas at all! Wouldn't that be good!

Oh, and if you want to read the speech from the Minister who tabled the legislation, perhaps to understand why it has been proposed, you can see it here. Just search for the name of the act, or smoking, you'll find it.

If anybody has any questions, I'll see you after class ;)
11:26pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Lyco
Brisbane, Queensland
321 posts
I think it was Tung who asked why the Government isn't trying to do more to stop kids getting hooked in the first place? Well if you have a look at the Act in question, it is mostly about harsher penalties for people who sell the kids cigarettes, and a few other things to try and stop it as much as possible. It's not going to fix that problem, but it's probably the right step!
11:30pm 04/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1679 posts
WTF? So just because an area is licensed for serving alcohol, you can smoke there? Am I reading that right?

And ha at the casino as well; I don't go there because I hate going in there and seeing the pall of smoke that hangs over the f***** place. Skaaaaaaaaaaaanky.
11:47pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
316 posts
Taipan, the discussion is about cigarette smoke, not every single act that humans engage in that results in possible harm to the earth or people on it. I presumed you were intelligent enough to realise this, otherwise I'd never have even entered the discussion, and would instead be complaining about the way that the people of the earth continue to burn fossil fules in order to stay in reach. I guess you're sort of going for any possible response though - it is a futile case you're trying to argue.

And contrary to what you feel, the smell of those people's smoke is most certainly NOT the least of my worries as I sit in the traffic. It's right up there with idiots who drive cars spewing smoke. I don't want to have the stench assail my nostrils, period, whether it be from your addiction or the result of a careless car owner.

Back to the actual point - your claim that my own complaints are unfounded is itself, unfounded.

11:48pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
972 posts
This may sound abit odd coming from me after all of my
other posts here but I would be happier if the
goverment would ban smoking fullstop.Sound strange
coming from me doesn't it but least then we could cut
all the BS.

Everything else the gov has tried has done jack s***
to help.Even with all their anti tabacco adds and
baning of tabacco add's,teenage smoking has still gone
up by 15% over recent yrs.

F*** it I will be giving up shortly it's just a matter
of me setting my mind to it and I did it easay last
time.I just thought after a year *what the hell I can
give up anytime*.What I forgot was how hard it is to
want to give up once you've started again.
11:48pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Lyco
Brisbane, Queensland
324 posts
You read it right, if it IS licensed for alcohol and IS NOT a "dining areas while meals are available for consumption or being consumed, or gaming table areas of a casino" then smoking is still ok. They aren't mutually exclusive, if a pub has a restaurant as well, you can probably smoke in the bar area where you can't get food (ie, real "meals", again another hairy definition in the Act), but you can't smoke in the actual restaurant area.

Another interesting point is despite it being banned in gaming table areas, it will still be legal in the High Rollers rooms.
11:51pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
317 posts
taipan: yeah, I know how you feel. that'd be a pure income issue there - the tax loss would be incredible, it'd modify the economy in a probably impossible to predict way

someone does seem to be trying though, cos smoking advertisements on tv are pretty much in your face now, although I dunno how good their advice/help services are

good luck with quitting ;)

11:55pm 04/04/01 Permalink
Xzennon
Adelaide, South Australia
313 posts
WARNING: Smoking causes annoying warning messages
12:26am 05/04/01 Permalink
Silent Remorse
Brisbane, Queensland
12 posts
I'm a light smoker (on and off) but I'm genually trying to quit, but reading though all these posts by inconsiderate a******* pisses me off. I understand the annoyance of having to go outside to smoke, but its the choice YOU make along with the choice you TOOK to smoke. Like most smokers, I hate breathing in other people's second hand crap - its horrible and it f**** you over. Imagine how other people (non-smokers) feel when you do it to them. Its sickening.

I'm pretty neutral on this law, I'm not really for it, or against it. But I think people should be able to be considerate enough to not smoke near people who are asthmatic, non smokers, or just dont want to breathe it in.

I was in an airport in Abu Dhabi once on a plane to the UK, and I have to tell you, it was the most horrible 45 mins of my entire life. 85% of the people in that airport were smoking, and you could not BREATHE a single breath of fresh air. It was disgusting and sickening. I got onto the plane and wipes my face with one of those hot wet towels they gave me and It was covered in tobacco residue that had attached itself to my face.

Tip to ignorant smokers: Respect other people's boundaries and smoke AWAY from people who aren't smoking. Its just common decentcy really.

Good speech up there trog :).

12:27am 05/04/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
118 posts
Wow, Hasnt this topic sparked a fire
12:38am 05/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
318 posts
but we love each other all the more for it
12:41am 05/04/01 Permalink
Silent Remorse
Brisbane, Queensland
13 posts
BTW Taipan - I feel the same, the reason I keep going back to cancer sticks are because the addiction craving is there. If it wasn't I'd get over it faster.

Tip: Nicorette gum is useless. ANd if u dont use it right it can actually f*** up your gums and increase blood pressure. What an alternative! ;)
12:50am 05/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
973 posts
The gov is subing those new pills so I thought I might give them a go,btw I think it's great that they are doing this as the pills aren't to cheap and you can get a months supply for about the same price as a packet of durries.

Ta Jim. :)
01:20am 05/04/01 Permalink
Koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
478 posts
really?

sounds good
01:24am 05/04/01 Permalink
Chod
Brisbane, Queensland
155 posts
It is good to hear guys like you Taipan trying and wanting to quit. And i agree it is great that the govt wants to help with the pills. I wish all you guys best of luck. It is a s****** being addicted to something...

Chod.
01:35am 05/04/01 Permalink
Dethon
4 posts
Just a couple of things...
I see alot of ppl saying "second hand smoke" - as far as I know its not so much the second hand smoke (the smoke that is blown out of ppls lungs) that is as harmful as the actual smoke that rises off the cigarrette as it burns away.. the smoke that comes from ppls lungs has (from tailor made cigarrettes) been filtered twice - once inside the filter of the actual cigarrette and once inside the ppls lungs.
The smoke rising from a burning cigarrette is unfiltered and more harmful.. to test the theory in practical graspable terms - breathe the smoke blown from someones lungs through your nose and then the unfiltered cigarrette smoke in through your nose - I can tell you the unfiltered stuff is NASTY!.
A huge amount of the smoke you breath in at a club is this unfiltered smoke.
To the ppl who talk about how flowers etc etc cause similar problems with ppls asthma etc - flowers r a part of how the world functions we would all die if there were no flowers - have a little think about that b4 you dribble some childish stuff and you'll realise what i say is true - tobacco is most certainly not a required substance on this planet :P
To the ppl who r screaming about the govt trying to control our lives more - sometimes this is a good thing! EG the govt makes laws about ppl killing other ppl - this is a good thing - be it with a gun, knife or cigarrette...and truely if you think the govt doesnt just plain f*****g rule your existence already then you havent looked hard enuff :P - if you wanna live in civilisation - you have to *conform* to some standard - like it or not.
To the ppl who say there r more worrying things than cigarrette smoke out there like car fumes etc - yes you are prolly right - BUT - there is no ez solution to car fumes at hand (lets not argue that point) but there sure as f*****g hell is an ez solution to cigarrette smoke at hand isnt there.. and after all why add to all those toxic substances that human civilisation creates with something as s***full as tobacco smoke - it doesnt even get ya bent! ;)
To the ppl who are smokers (addicts) and are gettin all huffy about ppl hating their habit.. Are you pissed at ppl hating your habit or are you afraid of having to beat yur addiction? - do you remember the first cigarrette you had? - do you remember the disgusting foulness of it? - do you remember it making you feel like puking? do you wonder WHY your body had this reaction? - I started smoking when i was 17 and i remember my first cigger doing that.. i gave them up 5 years ago ( i smoked a pack a day for 13 years) - if you wanna give em up - just do it - r u a man or are you a drug addict with your life controlled by a pissy cigarrette?
yeh its hard - theres not much in life worth doing that isnt hard.
Ive smoked more than most here and ive smoked more substances than most here (just try me) and im happy about these laws coming in. - havig to breath in other ppls unwanted smoke just plain sucks - My life is music - I WILL go to clubs - but i dont see why i should have to make sucking in other ppls smoke part of my life as well. remember tobacco is NOT a necesary part of life and it DOES f*** with you on a passive level..
I have friends with 2 children - both the parents smoke indoors - both the children have permanent coughs....
Ive often wondered what our attitude to smoking would be like if we wore our lungs on the outside for everyone to see - YUK - gimme pink healthy lungs over black s*** drippin bags of muck anyday ...
To the person who wonders why ppl ever start smoking (especially the young) - well 1. its peer group pressure ( dont missunderstand this statement - it doesnt mean yur mates goin "have it have it - yur gay if you dont smoke" - it means all yur mates do it so why not you)
2. Its the youth's defiance of death - we all did/do it - drive like idiots - drink too much - do dangerous sports - as you get older you see your mortality looming and you realise you aint so tuff.
The sermon has ended - now skin up Dem0n :D
02:11am 05/04/01 Permalink
axe
Brisbane, Queensland
213 posts
Fark u ppl have some opinions.
I smoke, but not in my own house, neither anyone else, it smells better.
I dont smoke inside other ppls houses either, habit.
Smoking is an insidious addiction, extremely difficult to kick the addiction, the cravings last a week, the habitual behaviour lasts longer.
Last time i tried to quit, i lasted 3 months, and put on 10kg.
From my experience, the 21mg skin patches sucessfully take away the cravings, weaning yourself also involves habitual changes to minimise temptation, like avoiding the usual light up triggers, ie, alchohol, coffee, meals, sex.
muahahaha
04:47am 05/04/01 Permalink
Lyco
Brisbane, Queensland
325 posts
Don't forget that this won't make much difference to your traditional nightclub, pub area. Since there are normally no dining areas in the clubs I go to, you are still going to be stuck with the fog of smoke that there normally is. Maybe next time they legislate against smoking, they might just ban it in licensed areas all together.
06:31am 05/04/01 Permalink
Doober
Brisbane, Queensland
85 posts
Taipan perhaps it is the addiction speaking when you say you actually like to smoke? That's how it works too. It's not like some mystical hand (ala black and white) forces you to smoke, it works much more subtley. That's why it must seem odd to try to quit - you feel that you WANT to smoke but you know it's not good for you. The desire is the addiction speaking and the want to quit is your brain working.
08:47am 05/04/01 Permalink
MaGGiC
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
I might be a bit late with this post but, i think smoking is a pointless thing. But the only thing with that i am worried about is the advertising of the formula 1. This heavyily survives on smokes advertising and if they cant advertise here i think the sport might go down :( Now dont think that i dont care about smoking, i just like my sports and it needs that money to stay in australia and the 12 months doesnt give me time to go to my first gp :P

Anyway thanks for reading this....or whateva

MaGGiC
09:05am 05/04/01 Permalink
Mental Patient
Queensland
130 posts
ok u wan smok do uu wan breth greyfloty stuf in tweh aire? u wan suk on som papr wit bron stuf inm it n thn puyt the grye stuf in u lugngs n theh grystuf hurt u wel i tel u wot if itwads up to m e i put a bn on pllz lugsd i men if it gona be greystuf in the air all;the time n it hert ppl n u sik of it piut a bnan on lungs whoh neds lugngs if thy gon get f**t up al eh tim coz ppl n thieir bad greystuf i for onwe am iz not stnandn fo it no longr!! donw wqith ppl n ther crpy lunsgs let the gryey stuf roanm fre!e!! plsus difs u blo greystuf in ppllz fac u get sex ho do u do this if thr no greystuf to blo anywher huh yeh u pl is no vreyr god at tkan al factors into accnt
09:53am 05/04/01 Permalink
harl
Brisbane, Queensland
20 posts
trog,
next time i see you, ticman and i are going to hold you down and smoke at you, till your face looks like Kramer did when he had too many cigars.

then, and only then you will realise the true power of cigarettes.

HEIL
10:06am 05/04/01 Permalink
harl
Brisbane, Queensland
21 posts
actually no.

i am going to walk into the server room, and i am going to take a photo of me smoking right next to your QGL box, and the game box, so that all you non-smoking girls can choke while playing :)
Why dont the non-smokers go outside from a nightclub for fresh air?
10:17am 05/04/01 Permalink
LiMiTED
Sydney, New South Wales
29 posts
A word of warning to Zyban users. This drug is subsidised by the government but there are still questions over its safety. Zyban's produces are spending a lot of money pretending everything is fine. Sure smoking will probably kill you, but it's not likely to do so next week:

18 die after taking nicotine addiction drug in UK
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/health/2001/02/item20010219112628_1.htm

also this: http://dynamicliving.com/addiction/messages/460.html
11:06am 05/04/01 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
974 posts
I wouldn't mind
if night clubs had an out door area so I could smoke
out there.Besides I like beer gardens more than
the inside areas anyhow.
11:23am 05/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1686 posts
Besides I like beer gardens more than
the inside areas anyhow.
So do I, but I like them because at least there's _some_ fresh air there.
11:34am 05/04/01 Permalink
TicMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
Not are we going to hold you down and breath our

disgusting, vile, putrid, horrible, skanky smoke

on top of you and take pictures of us smoking

beside the QGL servers (we'll be naked too)..

We're also going to violate the servers with our

little sticks, going to push and prod our sticks

in and out of the HDD bays.

Little sticks being our cigarettes of course..

12:31pm 05/04/01 Permalink
v0hd3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts
I quit smoking by using Zyban (well I haven't smoked for 3 weeks). I haven't died yet which also rocks. Although I did have a smoke today just for the hell of it and my word was it gross! Now I know why non-smokers go on so much about it. But also having been a smoker I realise how hard it is to quit... A lot of non-smokers have no idea what it is like to try and quit... But now the "Why did you start in the first place arguement..." comes into play, I started because I WANTED TO BE COOL! I was a victim of savage advertising campaigns aimed at teenagers :p
01:11pm 05/04/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
1696 posts
v0hd3r, at least you're man enough to admit it !
01:34pm 05/04/01 Permalink
tref
Brisbane, Queensland
6 posts
The rise in blood pressure and stress sufferred by me listening to all non-smokers whinge for years is definately going to kill me quicker than inhaling liquid road.
01:37pm 05/04/01 Permalink
v0hd3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
Hehehehe liquid road
01:42pm 05/04/01 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
325 posts
TICSTAH!!
06:55pm 05/04/01 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
80 posts
i really didnt mean to be critical at anyone here, just the fact that it seems that the world is giving the non-smokers a big f*** you... asking people to stop smoking and for them to turn around and blow a nice pungent cloud of smoke into your face is not exactly very comfortable... i mean my eyes go itchy and my breathing gets laboured when i clean my room and the dust flaots up. so its not hard for me to get quite unwell due to smoking near me. so i dont have a very favourable view on it... theres got to be a solution... such as smoking clubs or something, where you rock up, and kill each other through smokin your ciggarettes, and breathing the s*** that comes out of others.

Tung
07:44pm 05/04/01 Permalink
hiicue
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
I am a non smoker / social drug user.

Laws suck, we either get keen enough to force a change or we live with it. In this instance I'd live with it.

The problem is that people continue to take up smoking. The positive effects are almost identical to that felt after spinning around on the spot for a few seconds (raised heart rate, dizziness, release of endorphins etc). So we should be teaching our kids to spin around on the spot instead of smoking.

If your over the age of 18, then choose to smoke or not, its your decision. But we should be making it nigh on impossible for under 18's to take up smoking. I'm bloody tired of seeing milk bars and other outlets selling cigarettes to people obviously under the age. Shut them down, kids should not have the choice. We rarely tolerate obviously underage drinkers, but you can walk through any mall in australia and spot at least 3-4 14 year old smokers. People that age are simply not equiped to make a decision about a product that is likely to render them addicted.

As a free individual I have chosen not to date, screw, or generally hang around with anyone that smokes. If you blow it in my face I'll ask you to put it out, and if you don't then I'll just cough in your face.... :)
10:24am 07/04/01 Permalink
CandyMan
Queensland
27 posts
'Passive smokers should buy their own'

hehe
01:36pm 07/04/01 Permalink
Funkthesis
Brisbane, Queensland
26 posts
Well I think enough's already been said but I just would like to share something I think is sad.

It is the biggest turnoff ever to be walking past a cafe ect. and see a really nice looking girl and then the next minute see her sucking on a f**. How people can do that to their health is beyond me. They must have real problems with self image or something. It's understandable however, that someone may smoke a cigar for the taste ect. I don't ciggarrettes have any apealling factor except reducing your life span. well...
02:04pm 07/04/01 Permalink
Funkthesis
Brisbane, Queensland
27 posts
MY last comment may appear hypocritical to some people but a cigar can be viewed in slightly different terms. I'm not saying they shouldn't be banned but I just thing they deserve to be treated differently
02:07pm 07/04/01 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:07pm 07/04/01 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.