I rewrote that headline a number of different ways, and each time I couldn't condense it, namely because it needed to grab the attention of any headline peruser with as much info as possible, because this
... this is kind of a big deal.
, developer of the critically-acclaimed Dying Light
series, has teased a few details and a piece of teaser art for its unannounced, unnamed Triple-A open-world fantasy-set action-RPG, and in the process both shared some of the top-end alumni working on the game, whilst also doing a shout out for people to join the project
As you'd almost geographically expect, some of those early names working on the project come from other Eastern European
-lead titles, chief among them being The Witcher
series, and CD Projekt RED
in general, as well as other recent hits like Horizon Zero Dawn
, as well as some older classics like Mad Max
and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
The game's narrative director, Karolina Stachyra
, previously worked on The Witcher III: Wild Hunt and specifically its lauded Bloody Baron
In the wake of the global success of the Dying Light franchise and Dying Light 2 Stay Human's strong opening sales figures, independent developer Techland is assembling new strengths and powering up all of the teams within the company—including the team responsible for it unrevealed AAA open world action-RPG in a fantasy setting.
Throughout Dying Light 2 Stay Human's record-setting launch and last year's intense production, Techland continued working on its mysterious upcoming title and now prepares to significantly grow the development team.
“We're very happy with what we have accomplished with the Dying Light franchise so far. Moreover, our journey with Dying Light 2 Stay Human has only just begun as we plan to support this game for at least five years, with its scope and size matching, if not exceeding, what we have provided our community with during post-launch support for its predecessor.
Truly remarkable talent is already hard at work on Techland's new IP, including:
At the same time, our ambition is to introduce a brand new IP that is vastly different from what we have been doing for the past several years. We want to create a fully next-gen experience. A new fantasy epic set in a sprawling open world, fueled by the skills and experience we have gained as a team over the years, infused with new ideas, passion, and creativity. While we cannot share more details about this project now, we're all truly invested in it and looking forward to showing it to gamers when the time is right." - said Paweł Marchewka, CEO at Techland.
In just the last few months, said team has been strengthened by:
- Karolina Stachyra - Narrative Director who previously worked with CD Projekt Red on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, plus its DLCs
- Arkadiusz Borowik - Narrative Lead who previously worked with CD Projekt Red on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, plus its DLCs
- Bartosz Ochman - Open-World Director who previously worked on Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
- Mario Maltezos - Creative Director who previously worked with companies like Ubisoft (Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time), Warner Bros. (Mad Max), and Microsoft.
- David McClure - Lead Game Designer previously associated with Arkane Studios (Deathloop), Deep Silver, and Playground Games
- Kevin Quaid - Lead Animator with over eight years of experience at Guerrilla Games, working on titles such as Horizon Zero Dawn and its expansion, The Frozen Wilds
- Marcin Surosz - Lead UI/UX Designer with amazing skill in defining players' needs, formerly with People Can Fly.
That's quote an impressive list of people so far, and speaks to the ambition Techland has for this long-gestating project.
In speaking recently with us here at AusGamers
, Techland's Tymon Smektała
also teased the new project saying that "the new project is really an amazing game", adding that "it tries to do a lot of things in a very unique way. I'm sure we will learn a lot as a company, as an organisation from it".