We went through the many, many showcases and presentations that made up this year’s E3 season and put together our list of the games that impressed us the most.
The Best Games From E3 2021 - An AusGamers List
Chivalry II presents medieval multiplayer chaos with 64-player matches full of armour clad Knights and Lords (and Peasants) looking to lop off a few heads or limbs.
Chivalry 2 Review - A Knight's Tale
A big plus for Dark Alliance is the fact that it doesn’t sully the Baldur’s Gate name. Just its legacy.
Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance is Bad... Real Bad
We take Roll7's most ambitious skateboard outing for our own roll - how is it shaping up?
Hands-On with OlliOlli World - Full Video Preview!
Who Wants to be a Billionaire?
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17137 posts
Maybe this is bulls***, I am legit stoned at the moment so who knows. Also thanks Australian Government for pulling that stick out of your arse about medical cannabis. You guys are alright.

You may have noticed from my earlier post that I've gotten into crypto mining recently. It's going well and I'm looking at installing my first dedicated mining frame next week now that my solar is online. For context, I'm a retired software developer, businessman & computer scientist.

So anyway I think I have an idea that is a genuine opportunity for a person or group of people to become quite wealthy. Maybe its already being pursued somewhere. I'm too old and tired to do it myself so someone else please take it on, I just want to sell hashtime.

In the next few years crypto currency will likely move away from Proof of Work. There's a really interesting thing happening in the scene; the cryptocurrency world relies on the work that GPU and ASIC miners do but actively dislikes the paradoxically useless nature of the work being done. Crypto enthusiasts and developers are evangelical about the technology while the miners are more pragmatic, they just want someone to sell their terahashes of compute time to.

So sometime over the next few years a couple of things seem inevitable. Crypto will move away from solving fake problems to secure their networks and miners will be holding hundreds of millions (billions?) of dollars of programmable, generic computational hardware looking for work to do.

What sort of problems can be solved with such a massive distributed computational network? What kinds of cloud services could it power? What economic value is there in solving these problems or providing these services? Can the AI compute cores in GPUs be used in a distributed fashion? Could it be used to trade on the stock market?

Is this how we get to the Singularity?

That said I am kinda f***en ripped. Who knows :D
06:11pm 08/06/21 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:11pm 08/06/21 Permalink
trog
Other International
40164 posts
I would be interested in building a basic utility token for some Internet processing service but that's about it. I am not interested in Yet Another Ponzi Scheme But On Blockchain!
07:58am 09/06/21 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17138 posts
No YAPSBOB here!

I was more thinking about a massive, distributed Tensor Flow array that researchers or whoever needs that sort of thing could tap into on the cheap.

We've had similar things like Folding@Home and SETI, just nothing generic and monetised to service all that machine learning.
07:53pm 10/06/21 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
27387 posts
I'm thinking something like this.

What I'm really thinking is that by the time those networks are secured and the method to harness that distributed processing power is developed it will be rendered obsolete by quantum computing. State-based quantum computing attacks will then consume that distributed network and turn it against it's previous owners, further solidifying the dystopian surveillance state we are hurtling towards.
08:16pm 10/06/21 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17139 posts
I still haven't played through Deus :( I had it forever on the old Wii U.

Not convinced that quantum computers will do much other than annoy the authors of SSL libraries and web servers but I'm likely wrong. My understanding though is that these machines do particular types of calculations extremely well, but won't be useful for other work. Also there are types of encryption that are not exposed to their sneaky strange computation.
10:25pm 10/06/21 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:25pm 10/06/21 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.