Surprise! There is another with NVIDIA closing out the year with another member of the impressive GeForce RTX 30 Series family arriving on the scene.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founder's Edition Review
As a launch title for the PlayStation 5 it doesn't get much better than a follow-up to one of the best superhero games of all time.
Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales Review
Is it game enough to fill the Gerudo Valley-sized gap in our collective souls? Can it quench the unquenchable heart that lies still, awaiting the return of Link in Breath of the Wild 2?
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Review - A Link to the Past
Star Wars: Squadrons Review - A VR Dream Come True
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
7512 posts
Setting aside the fact that it's been far too long since we've gotten a pure flight combat Star Wars game, something that could sit alongside the likes of TIE Fighter or Rogue Squadron, there's also the VR dream that's basically that. Fly around in X-Wings and TIEs, shooting at enemies. Although fully playable sans VR headset, Star Wars: Squadrons excels when you go virtual.

A snippet from our full review.
Played entirely from a first-person in-c***pit view, with minimal HUD depending on your preferences, everything from engine speed to power management to targeting and missile readiness is there to view; with one eye always looking ahead. With X-Wings, A-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE fighters, TIE interceptors, TIE bombers, and more, the level of detail is commendable, as is the way each craft provides its own readout flavour.

But, in its commitment to authenticity there’s no denying that when played on a standard display there’s a lot of screen real-estate taken up by everything from radars to c***pit dividers. You know, the stylish but octagonal mess that is the TIE fighter c***pit view. Blind spots that in addition to tapping into that laser-guided focus one might require as a fighter pilot, limit the spatial awareness that comes from a more traditional third-person view and the ability to freely rotate the camera.

Don a VR helmet on the PlayStation 4 or PC (for this review we used the Oculus Rift S), and what was once claustrophobic or limited becomes open and natural. Like a Rebel fighter pilot looking through an orange tinted visor, VR in Star Wars: Squadrons is more than simple immersion. Being able to look freely around the c***pit to get a closer look at instruments takes an Astromech backseat to the ability to see out into the wider battlefield.

Our Full Star Wars: Squadrons Review
10:11pm 05/10/20 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:11pm 05/10/20 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17061 posts
oh s*** this has VR?!
12:03am 06/10/20 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
7513 posts
yeah man.... if you have a decent VR setup and like star wars... it's a must
12:08am 06/10/20 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17062 posts
yeah man.... if you have a decent VR setup and like star wars... it's a must

Hmm I have a 10900k with a 2080ti and 64Gb 4200mhz rams and a Vive 2

Some of its a bit old ofc (rip no 3xxx series omg so pleb) but will this work Kosta?!?!?!!?
12:14am 06/10/20 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4493 posts
Hey Hoggy I prepurchased this but it’s a 30Gb download and I’m on mobile Internet so I can’t get into it for a while *sad*

Do you want to do Family Sharing and load this up ?
12:17am 06/10/20 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
7514 posts
Definitely Hog... it's optimised really well... on the 3080 at 1440p it hits the FPS cap of 240 on Ultra
12:14pm 06/10/20 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
2105 posts
This is the best use I've seen of VR yet. The mission flying through asteroids is amazing in VR.
12:20pm 06/10/20 Permalink
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
583 posts
I'm playing on a 1070 and a 3700X (loaded on to a Kingston KC2500 and a MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk ;)) and it runs perfectly in VR (on a Vive 1).
12:29pm 06/10/20 Permalink
Darkhawk
Melbourne, Victoria
232 posts
I have an Oculus Quest 2 on preorder, can't wait to get it! From what I have played so far it does seem like it will suit VR better than just a screen but really enjoying the game so far!
07:00pm 06/10/20 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8750 posts
Hog,

Runs flawlessly on my Vive Pro using a i9-9940X with a 4 year old 1080 FTW.
02:09pm 09/10/20 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
40040 posts
Great review, first review I've read that has really made me seriously consider a VR rig. I have amazing memories from like 1994 of playing X-Wing back in the day and how much fun it was. I used to play it with a mate, alternating who would take the joystick and fly and who would run the keyboard to deal with shields and stuff. It was a blast.
03:24pm 09/10/20 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:24pm 09/10/20 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.