With the release of the latest expansion for Blizzard’s Hearthstone we sit down with the development team to learn about its development.
Hearthstone Interview - Inside the Halls of Scholomance Academy
With Sony and Guerrilla Games’ Horizon Zero Dawn hitting CPUs and GPUs, Kosta finally steps into the post-apocalyptic shoes of heroine Aloy to slay some robo-dinos.
Horizon Zero Dawn is the Best Game I Haven’t Played
The ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 is one of the most talked about gaming laptops of the year for good reason - it packs the AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS mobile CPU in a tiny package.
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Review
The World Game is back, natch, so we go through all the big changes coming in EA’s FIFA 21.
FIFA 21 Preview - Inside the Big Gameplay Changes Coming
West of Awesome, or East of Almost? - West of Dead Review
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
8592 posts
This is a hard one on paper to throw too much concern at: a horror Western-themed jaunt through purgatory with a flaming skull gunslinger voiced by Ron Perlman... see, you're already either looking it up, or ignoring even these words to just learn more.

Which is how we felt, but does it deliver where, and how, it needs to?

There's a long and short to that question, with a long tall and a short stay attached in answer as well. But rather than mince, here's an excerpt from our review:
If I could collate all the audio, imagery, iconography and tone I love most across all media, I’d have probably made West of Dead myself. I mean it’s f*****g called “West of Dead”. I don’t think I need to sell it to you any more than that. But, you know, I will and am happy to do so, because since playing the game’s beta, I’ve been all in on this less than 1GB experience, superficially, but thankfully the gameplay packed within the relatively small installation is full of flare, variety and tension. The skill-level required is a learnt exercise built around animation and input, deliberately designed to have you tempering your reflexes over spamming inputs, which throws a layer into what, on paper, reads as a relatively simple reflex loop. But it isn’t.
Click here for our West of Dead review.

09:15pm 08/07/20 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:15pm 08/07/20 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12447 posts
Looks pretty repetitive?
10:41am 09/07/20 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
8594 posts
It is, but that's the hook with these games. Once you understand the loop and gain confidence and equippable gear, and can move through the world more freely and quickly, it presents itself pretty well.

But it is a slow burn early on, and you'll definitely need patience
12:48pm 09/07/20 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:48pm 09/07/20 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.