The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Broken USB-C cable
plok
Brisbane, Queensland
536 posts
I have a webcam (currently impossible to find!) and unfortunately the USB-C connector has been busted. I'm not a soldering expert and would prefer not to attempt soldering on a new connector to the cable.. does anyone know if there's a place or person that would do this sort of quick job that they could recommend?

(sorry, I don't have any politics or covid hot takes)
09:44am 14/05/20 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:44am 14/05/20 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
15638 posts

Can't speak to cable repair options, but if you need an alternate webcam in a pinch, there's a bunch of ways you can use Android or Apple smartphone as a PC cam https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/20/21225061/phone-tablet-android-ios-phone-tablet-pc-webcam-windows-mac-os-how-to-use

11:33am 14/05/20 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39998 posts
I took a busted HDD to https://nerd2go.com.au/services/ in Milton last year to see if they could data recovery it - I am not sure but I think they also do general purpose repair. I have no idea about hardware but repairing a cable seems like it should be at the easy end for technicians doing hardware stuff so maybe worth a go.

I have a spare Logitech cam you're welcome to if you can't repair it. Few years old but works fine in at least Windows 8.1.
08:54am 15/05/20 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17013 posts
Yeh I'd say it would be less hassle to get a new one or better yet raid trog's stash, unless its doing something special.
09:10am 15/05/20 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
27028 posts
Are you sure it's busted and not just clogged with crud? If being clogged with crud is a possibility try cleaning it out with a pin or something. The USB-C charger on my phone needs cleaning out occasionaly.
12:51pm 15/05/20 Permalink
plok
Brisbane, Queensland
537 posts
Thanks crew! I'll give that Milton mob a call. I think it's pretty simple for anyone with even a little bit of soldering experience.

And yeah, it's definitely busted, the little metal protrusion has been snapped off the rest of the connector. The subsequent attempt to ram it back on finished it off for good.

I would just buy a new one, but I literally just paid $229 for it 2 weeks ago (it's for my wife streaming classes and the in built laptop one was too s***e).. I'm loathe to go and drop another $229.. especially since I NEVER GOT ANY OF THE QGL DOLLARS.

03:25pm 15/05/20 Permalink
plok
Brisbane, Queensland
538 posts
Also Dan, thanks for the heads up, just god Droid Cam going on my PC (linux) seems to work pretty well!
04:22pm 15/05/20 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17015 posts
Sorry dude for some reason I thought this was an old camera!
10:49pm 18/05/20 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:49pm 18/05/20 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.