We chat with some of the engineers at NVIDIA and go behind the scenes of the impressive Quake II RTX mod.
NVIDIA on Quake II RTX as the First Fully Ray-Traced Game
The city builder meets conquest series has been around for many years, and this new entry take the series back to the past to re-capture some magic.
Anno 1800 Review - Going Back to Move Forward
We sit down with Blizzard and the Hearthstone team to talk about what goes into designing a new card set and mechanics.
Talking Hearthstone and the New Rise of Shadows Expansion!
Does it hold up almost a decade after first exploding onto the scene?
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition Review
google stadia - future of gaming?
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41294 posts
looks interesting, play any game anywhere you got internets.

https://www.gamesradar.com/au//google-stadia-release-date-price-games-controller/

will be interested to see costs associated:

Google Stadia is Google's game streaming service, which aims to let you play games over the internet on any internet-connected device you already own. All the games, and the hardware itself, sits in the cloud, and you're just streaming the games to your devices - like streaming a movie or TV show on Netflix, just with games instead. What that means is that everything is instant - no download times, no updates, no patches, no nothing - and you'll be able to play games in 4K with HDR at 60fps, and even upscaled to 8K (and 120fps) if you're lucky enough to rock a device that outputs at that resolution. It will also offer cross-platform multiplayer, additional support for local split-screen co-op, and more when it's fully revealed no doubt.
07:23am 20/03/19 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:23am 20/03/19 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12381 posts
Looks s***. I've got FTTN, therefore you can guarantee I'll go to play and I won't have Internet. I imagine as new services launch all your titles will start disappearing too, just like they do on Netflix. Doesn't look at all PC orientated.
04:52pm 20/03/19 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39765 posts
OnLive launched at GDC as well, in 2009. Same kind of service. It didn't really get anywhere. It's a neat idea but relies on decent and fairly flawless Internet.
07:01pm 20/03/19 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41295 posts
i switched over to nbn start of feb.

mine has been flawless 100/40 10 ping since then.
07:09pm 20/03/19 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39766 posts
c'n'p from another post I made today:

True story from just last night: I was playing a game of Dota 2 with a couple mates. My partner returned home mid-game and I immediately started lagging hard, resulting in one of my teammates getting killed when I made some bad moves.

The reason? My partner's phone re-connected to the wifi once she was in range and started syncing with Google Photos (a bunch of photos and videos). This floods my upstream connection (a cool 1Mbit) and kills performance until uploads are complete.

So for me, I'm worried Stadia would be this experience - but also in my single player games.

It's great if you have NBN (and it works) but for those of us that live in the middle of nowhere, where apparently it makes no sense to run fibre (2km from BNE CBD), I can't see it being great.

There's also a host of other issues that suck (games will vanish when providers get sick of them or a new version comes out, no modding, no resales, etc), but I suspect the majority of people won't mind about that, and we're far enough down that road already
07:38pm 20/03/19 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11820 posts
I would assume one significant caveat of this is that you don't have a 1mbit upload

And as anti-nbn as i was, the 50/20 plan i'm on has been flawless (FTTP)
07:44pm 20/03/19 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39767 posts
I think it'll be less about the speed and more about dropped packets. Streaming is actually (usually) super efficient in terms of how much you download vs how much you need to upload so it's possible 1mbit might be enough (at least for lower resolutions). But as soon as you start dropping packets you'll have painful stuttery gameplay.
08:49am 21/03/19 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
657 posts
From the perspective of someone who works in the AU telecommunications industry, Australia's consumer internets and CPE routers are not up to doing this yet.

Between NBN capabilities and RSP bandwidth allocations the the potential for packetloss and jitter is significant during peak periods. Both will ruin your performance in interactive streaming.

Then there is the problem of budget routers not have sufficient QoS functionality to correctly identify and control which protocols get priority. Which would go a fair way to stopping other people using your 'priority' traffic over something not latency/jitter sensitive.
03:48pm 21/03/19 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39769 posts
yeh, the two mates I play Dota with who are on NBN get way worse packetloss/general connectivity than I do on my crappy ADSL2 which peaks at 14Mbit/sec. The worst one is the guy on HFC who was force-moved from Telstra Cable to NBN - I don't get how it could, but he reckons it's much worse since then.
05:14pm 21/03/19 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12382 posts
mine has been flawless 100/40 10 ping since then.
That's called winning the NBN lottery, unlike the other 50% of the country. 100/40 is a pipe dream for me, something they talk about in far away lands.
07:28pm 21/03/19 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41296 posts
i enjoy very much my suburbs facey group of which a lot is complaining about nbn. im not sure why my connection is so good, if its a combination of people not understanding how wireless works, or just aussie nbn is actually doing something different.

but yer, if i had regular dorp outs or sub standard internets, id be absolutely spewing.
08:11pm 21/03/19 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7758 posts
iinet here and get steady ~96/38, it's f*****g dope
hi5 spook
09:02pm 21/03/19 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41297 posts
/like
09:07pm 21/03/19 Permalink
Vash
5947 posts
Going by Twitch's rival, Mixer, and it's ability to stream at near zero latency at reasonable bitrates, i wonder what these services would be like without the strain of local streaming & encoding.

Me streaming via mixer and running the stream on my laptop.
Pretty impressive drop in latency vs Twitch.
10:11pm 21/03/19 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
2183 posts
And as anti-nbn as i was, the 50/20 plan i'm on has been flawless (FTTP)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest, if you own the property you have that service in, that you shouldn't be that upset about NBN (well, at least not for what you've now got out of it anyway).

Not wanting to derail the thread in to 'the broader Australian upset' that is the NBN's s***** rollout... I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that 'live streaming games' /would/ work, but only for certain game types.

e.g. Playing something like Sid Meier's Civilization series wouldn't be an issue. However trying to play something where even digital signal processing can affect the gamers performance (anyone here play anything on a 1.5 or 4k TV yet? more specifically) just isn't going to work streamed, no matter where you are in relation to the game.
I don't think competitive FPS' hold the 'top dog' for gaming performance as much as it did even 10 years ago, but given the levels of input lag using 'Steams in-home streaming' present, unless someone's suddenly identified how to make things travel faster than light, it's still going to be an issue for some games.

It seems to me to be misleading to suggest that 'this will be the next big thing' for gaming... as an industry, and a market, it's become so fragmented that I doubt the next big thing is going to be anything but Fortnite for a little while yet...
10:48am 22/03/19 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1674 posts
Google Stadia, available worldwide *

* In Australia requires at least NBN3 speeds

Please note, if you ever stated "fibre is overkill for most people and a waste of government money", you only have yourself to blame.

Note: Now living in the US, I get 1000/1000 uncapped for $80 a month.

last edited by simul at 03:11:11 25/Mar/19
03:06am 25/03/19 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41298 posts
1000mpbs?

wow.
07:19pm 25/03/19 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
2184 posts

I don't /hate/ you but I hate you...

I'm currently living in the 3rd world, and the ADSL speed is better than I ever got out of Canberra, WHEN IT WORKS... and the other thing I'm noticing, is that DNS and routing from where I am is a total mess... half of the time, any web requests are simply met with a DNS error... "I'm quite sure Google.com isn't down ..."
11:04am 26/03/19 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39771 posts
Please note, if you ever stated "fibre is overkill for most people and a waste of government money", you only have yourself to blame.
Fortnight alone made $3b profit in the last year. It's not clear to me that it's the government's role to make sure people get low pings to play games. It's not clear to me that building the information megaultrasuperhighway for the purpose of exporting money to overseas games developers and international megacorps like Google will have the ROI people think it will.
Pretty awesome, but there aren't many places in the US where you can get fibre, let alone for that cheap a price. Is that Google Fibre?
11:38am 26/03/19 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:38am 26/03/19 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.