Not to be outdone by other markets and locations around the world, Trade Media has officially unveiled the Aussie-specific Australian Game Awards, or AGAs, which will take place this December under the Big Top at Luna Park in Sydney.
On December 19, Aussies will be able to vote on a huge list of categories surrounding games, games media, personalities and more.
The awards will be the most complete recognition of Australian gaming culture, with awards across games, accessories, games journalism, esports and content creation.
Built for and voted on by the Australian gaming community, 29 categories will be recognised at the inaugural awards. Nominations have opened today and will run through until midnight AEDT on Sunday, November 18. Voting will then open later that week, closing in early December.
In addition to helping decide this year’s winners, 200 Ultimate Fans will also be able to celebrate alongside finalists and the Australian Games Industry. Tickets are available through EB Games, the official retail partner of the AGAs, at $199. Along with all the celebrations, these fans will receive food, drinks, and commemorative exclusive swag – with further inclusions to be announced in the lead up to the event.
Speaking on the launch of the Australian Games Awards, Trade Media Director, Joel Van Daal said, “I’m so thrilled to finally reveal the event.”
Joel added, “This will be the biggest ever celebration of Australian gaming culture, and will give the community the opportunity to have their say. Games are the premier form of entertainment, and we are just pleased to be able to give them the platform it deserves.”
The official site for the new initiative can be found here
, while a full list of categories to vote in can be found below.
2018 Awards List
- Action/Adventure Title of the Year
- Audio Brand of the Year
- Australian Developed Game of the Year presented by Bethesda
- Breakout Creator of the Year
- Controller and Accessories Brand of the Year (includes chairs, travel cases etc.)
- Cosplayer of the Year
- Creator of the Year
- Esports Personality of the Year
- Esports Title of the Year
- Family/Kids Title of Year
- Game Of The Year
- Gaming Publication of the Year
- Independent Game of the Year presented by Nintendo
- Journalist of the Year
- Mixer Creator of the Year
- Mobile/Handheld Title of the Year
- Multiplayer/Online Title of the Year
- Organisation of the Year
- Play of the Year
- Player of the Year
- RPG of the Year
- Shooter of the Year
- Social Media God (best use of social media/community engagement)
- Sports, Racing or Fighting Title of the Year
- Strategy Title of the Year
- Team of the Year
- The Gamechanger (has influenced positive change in games)
- Twitch Creator of the Year
- YouTube Creator of the Year
Personally, I'm going to nominate Kosta for all of these.