At BlizzCon 2018 we sat down with the team behind the upcoming mobile game Diablo Immortal to talk about bringing the franchise to an even smaller screen.
Talking Diablo Immortal with Blizzard
For all intents and purposes, Call of Cthulhu should have been amazing. Our full review and dive into madness
Mad About You - Call of Cthulhu Review
We've taken Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang to hell and back. But does the hype bail stack up? We go in-depth to answer that very question...
Ain't no Chicken Feed | Red Dead Redemption 2 Review
We chat with Bethesda's Pete Hines about Fallout 76, the series, and those first moments of Fallout PvP...
Fallout 76 – In Conversation with Bethesda’s Pete Hines
Recommend me a Media Player
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11801 posts
For the past 6 years, i've had a WD TV Live as my main media player, with a 2.5" HDD plugged into it. It's worked well. But its starting to become a little unreliable.

All I need is something that plays mkvs and has a netflix app and has a remote control. Tried one of those android media player boxes, OMG, they stink. Netflix is basically unusable with a remote because it expects swipe inputs.

I'm not going to build a PC, they use too much power and I don't fancy having another OS to support. Needs to be kid & wife friendly and not super $$$.

Do you have any recommendations??
08:58pm 30/10/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:58pm 30/10/18 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6636 posts
nvidia shield
10:00pm 30/10/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39698 posts
Is Roku a thing in Australia yet? I loved my Roku; it was the best thing I've used for that stuff. Unfortunately it has a non-standard power plug and I haven't been able to find a cheap replacement.

So I'm using an old (1st gen?) Chromecast for Netflix at the moment. It's fine although a bit annoying having to use the phone as the control instead of a dedicated remote. It is kind of cool also being able to stream stuff straight from phone and PC to the TV if needed, although it's a bit crappy sometimes (I think the new devices are much better at this).
05:42am 31/10/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41227 posts
chromecast + plex
06:25am 31/10/18 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
15628 posts

Defo the Nvidia Shield. Should be able to pick one up for under $250. https://www.ozbargain.com.au/product/nvidia-shield-android-tv .

If you've had a poor experience with android tv boxes in the past, that would be because they're running regular android apps that are built for touchscreen interfaces. Shield runs proper Android TV OS, Kodi runs great, plays everything.

There's some cheaper options that also run proper Android TV like the Xiaomi Mi Box, which can often be found for sub $100, but they're prone to wifi and other playback issues so YMMV. Vodafone also sell one locally that seems to do ok https://www.vodafone.com.au/vodafone-tv .

For those that don't want to play locally stored mkv, the latest rev Apple TV is probably the go; otherwise, shield.

10:11am 31/10/18 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
648 posts
easy and effective - nvidia shield
cheap and effective - AM8xx/9xx chipset android device with libreelec on it
easy and cheap - prepackaged android TV device ie Xiaomi Mi Box

My current media player list (all talk back to a NAS)
PC - win10, kodi and nextpvr
RPi2 - libreelec
AM908 box - libreelect

I'm going to replace either the RPi2 or the AM908 box with a nvidia shield (hopefully with a nice Christmas special price discount)
12:36pm 31/10/18 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
4084 posts
I just use an Xbone but if you can setup a plex server then Chromecast + Plex as Spook suggests is probably the way to go.

Is Roku a thing in Australia yet? I loved my Roku; it was the best thing I've used for that stuff. Unfortunately it has a non-standard power plug and I haven't been able to find a cheap replacement.
Telstra TV box or whatever it's called is a Roku player. I'm guessing the reason you don't see them elsewhere is some sort of exclusivity deal so Telstra can charge $192 per unit.
05:32pm 31/10/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39699 posts
Telstra TV box or whatever it's called is a Roku player. I'm guessing the reason you don't see them elsewhere is some sort of exclusivity deal so Telstra can charge $192 per unit.
really, thanks, interesting. I was just at Costco in California and saw latest gen Roku for $82. I guess it costs $100 or so to put a Telstra logo on it?
05:50pm 31/10/18 Permalink
bLaZe
New South Wales
125 posts
give telstra some more credit. they also have to remove functions and restrict access.
03:51pm 01/11/18 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11802 posts
Thanks Gents.

Looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and get the nvidia shield. I already have a chromecast but that's not nearly as convenient and kid/wife friendly than just a remote.

I appreciate your help.
08:03pm 03/11/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41229 posts
Even using phone apps?
09:31am 04/11/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:31am 04/11/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums