At BlizzCon 2018 we sat down with the team behind the upcoming mobile game Diablo Immortal to talk about bringing the franchise to an even smaller screen.
Talking Diablo Immortal with Blizzard
For all intents and purposes, Call of Cthulhu should have been amazing. Our full review and dive into madness
Mad About You - Call of Cthulhu Review
We've taken Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang to hell and back. But does the hype bail stack up? We go in-depth to answer that very question...
Ain't no Chicken Feed | Red Dead Redemption 2 Review
We chat with Bethesda's Pete Hines about Fallout 76, the series, and those first moments of Fallout PvP...
Fallout 76 – In Conversation with Bethesda’s Pete Hines
Oculus Co-Founder Leaves Facebook Amid Rumours of Oculus Rift 2 Canc...
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
4656 posts
According to a new report over at TechCrunch, Facebook has decided to restructure its virtual-reality projects and PC VR division with the assumed-to-be in-development Oculus Rift 2 getting cancelled. The shake-up has also led to co-founder and former Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe leaving Facebook.

According to sources the shift towards a mass-market approach in terms of performance for the Oculus brand - as seen with the release of the smart-phone powered Oculus Go and the planned release of Oculus Quest next year - was not the direction Iribe wanted to see the company go. Apparently the high-performance Oculus Rift 2 was something his team was working on and its cancellation might be the reason Iribe left Facebook.

Although his farewell post on Facebook was mostly positive and a celebration of the work accomplished by the Oculus team it specifically mentions the Rift and Touch with no mention of the Go or less-expensive mass-market VR products. Iribe was the head of Facebook's PC VR division. In responding to the report, Facebook kept things vague with, "While we can’t comment on our product roadmap specifics, we do have future plans, and can confirm that we are planning for a future version of Rift."

If the Oculus Rift 2 has been cancelled that would position the HTC Vive as the premiere and just about only choice for high-end VR for PC.
03:41pm 23/10/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:41pm 23/10/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39695 posts
Still no VR killer app yet, right? Going to be a tough slog. I hope they can crack it.
04:07pm 23/10/18 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
4662 posts
Will there ever be though? Unless it goes full wireless and full touch controls I don't think VR will ever get its Zelda or God of War...
05:30pm 23/10/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39696 posts
Yeh I don't know. I lost interest in VR a while back honestly when I saw the first Hololens video and I thought "actually /that/ looks more like what I want".
08:41pm 23/10/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41223 posts
is it making games better? it doesnt look like it to me.
08:46pm 23/10/18 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
19183 posts
astrobot on ps4 is a pretty great VR game. it's sitting at 90 on metacritic.
10:08pm 23/10/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
949 posts
VR is the gimmick that will advance AR (augmented reality), which is where the future is IMO.

Google Glasses had my hopes up but the backlash from the general public really showed that society is not ready/aware of the current technology.
12:43pm 25/10/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:43pm 25/10/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.