An epic story in The Witcher universe, as told with cards.
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales Review | Cards on the Table
We sit down with Blizzard to discuss the studio revisiting the classic real-time strategy of 2003's Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.
Warcraft III: Reforged – Remaking a Classic
A Love Letter to the Western Classic
Red Dead Redemption 2: Rockstar's Road to Redemption
D*** Smith triggers massive hotel online booking backlash
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7902 posts
Who doesn't love a triggered D***?

09:05pm 12/09/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:05pm 12/09/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39663 posts
tldr for those who hate watching long boring videos:

if you're going on a holiday, contact the hotel directly independently of aggregators like booking.com, airbnb, etc, and you can get a better deal. (it is a good idea in general to compare pricing from different sources especially if there are middlemen involved.) technically they are not supposed to give you better pricing but chances are good they will (source: I was talking to a b&b operator about this in Tassie a couple weeks back and they had almost the exact same rant as DS here).

wait til D*** Smith discovers the app store system

edit: I'll add another personal anecdata. I spent a lot of the last couple years traveling for work and booking hotels myself. I usually used booking.com but because I was going to a highly touristy city often at last minute I regularly tried different places to get different quotes. Many places have a membership programme where you'll get a discount of 5-10% straight up. But sometimes this was actually still MORE expensive than the booking.com rate. Also sometimes you could call the hotel directly and you would get a better price over the phone, but others I'd get a more expensive rate - I think the bigger the chain the more likely you are to get someone who is not empowered to negotiate pricing. Plus of course going to popular cities in peak periods they often probably don't give a s*** because they know they're going to get you one way or the other (e.g., it can be a nightmare to get accom if there's a big conference on).
09:33pm 12/09/18 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4413 posts
Tricky is so wonderfully old school, you can legitimately see that he grew up in less complicated times with the golden era of flight glint in his eye's when he speaks about supporting the principle of travel agents but despises those formflow clicky/tappy booking aggregator portals

these aren't the first ones to have tried this, there's a laundry list of multinational addled marketing attempts i can recall just from memory, each rebranding as annoying as the last

wotif
webjet
trivago
booking.yeah
hotelscombined
airbnb

essentially he's against the high %'age brokerage strategy these entities use in their various applications as a data aggregate for services. it's the same story with Uber and the littany of app gig economy delivery services littered throughout the App/Play Stores

imagine what it's like in China where the state directly controls a large percentage of Internet services, is that any better?
10:01pm 12/09/18 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7904 posts
I must be triggered easily but I didn't find D***'s clip boring.

Sure, its not hentai tentacle pr0n, but hey you can't have everything.

Anyways, I 've found most of D***'s latest long boring rants are about multinational companies not paying tax. Well that's what I got out of this long boring clip.

But I floss my teeth with fishing line and humanely execute cane toads by putting them in used ice cream containers in my chest freezer, so what would I know.

last edited by sLaps_Forehead at 22:12:41 12/Sep/18
10:05pm 12/09/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39664 posts
Anyways, I 've found most of D***'s latest long boring rants are about multinational companies not paying tax. Well that's what I got out of this long boring clip.
The topic certainly isn't boring (in fact I have been meaning to do a thread about it). It's just that watching an 8 minute video to get a simple point across that could be done in a couple paragraphs of text I find really painful.
essentially he's against the high %'age brokerage strategy these entities use in their various applications as a data aggregate for services. it's the same story with Uber and the littany of app gig economy delivery services littered throughout the App/Play Stores
Yup. And it's really important that people think about that when they use these services. Every time you catch an Uber, you're exporting some money out of the Australian economy. That is not necessarily a bad thing of course.

I know it's making things hard for B&B operators because these things dominate the marketplace - getting discovered is hard enough but if you're not on one of these platforms you might as well don't exist. There is almost no competition because any new competitor that gets any success is quickly acquired by one of the bigger ones.
09:15am 13/09/18 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
24153 posts
This guy always comes off as a typical whining Aussie.

I use Expedia.
11:46am 13/09/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39665 posts
This guy always comes off as a typical whining Aussie.
I only got as far in the video as the part where he said something like "back in MY day we just looked up hotels in Yellow Pages" like modern web booking sites aren't eleventy billion f*****g times better than that piece of s*** experience
02:42pm 13/09/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41190 posts
very true, its very difficult to go past how easy to use these booking sites are.
03:29pm 13/09/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
947 posts
In australia a lot of hotels will have their own site and booking system (kinda they usually use 3rd party but watever). In my experience they're always the same price, or more expensive.

If you are booking a hotel overseas, is it worth even contacting the hotel via phone? If they dont have a site with a booking system I just go through whatever is cheapest.
03:28pm 12/10/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39694 posts
If you are booking a hotel overseas, is it worth even contacting the hotel via phone? If they dont have a site with a booking system I just go through whatever is cheapest.
I have emailed hotels directly and gotten better pricing than off their website. I think it is definitely worth calling them to see; simply asking "can you do a better price than that?" might often yield results
07:46am 23/10/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:46am 23/10/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.