A challenging and thoughtful experience where lateral thinking and classic Nintendo game-design come together.
Raiders of the Lost Star - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review
We chat with The Division 2 game director, Mathias Karlson, and talk about lessons learnt post-epidemic!
Interview: The Division 2 Does Away with Divisive Game-Design
Set in the 1980s, during the later stages of the Cold War - Phantom Doctrine brings the art of espionage to the world of turn-based tactics.
With Phantom Doctrine You’ve Got XCOM in the Cold-War Era
New to PS
whitetip
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Hi guys & gals,

Looking for some advice. I haven't played any video games (apart from very early Wii titles) since PS1. Of late, I've had a bit of an interest in getting back into gaming. I understand a great many things have changed since I last dabbled in gaming (live multiplayer etc) however, I was looking at purchasing a PS4. I was hoping to ask your advice as to what console to purchase (PS4 Pro or Slim - have an HD TV, not 4K though) - and would it take long to get a hang of the multiplayer platform (I feel as though I am going to last about 15secs into a game)

Thx!
04:00pm 05/07/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:00pm 05/07/18 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7726 posts
Welcome, whitetip :)

I guess it all depends on the types of games you enjoy playing? Why are you specifically looking at PlayStation 4? Any games that make you lean that way? Most of the older users here are PC-centric, but a lot of us also play console games. Some console games use dedicated servers, but depending on your connection, you'll likely be mostly up against peer-to-peer which isn't so bad in the modern day with how companies look at networking in their backend.

Also, while you mentioned you don't have a 4K TV, is that something you'd be planning on upgrading to in, say, the next 12-18 months as prices drop? Because that can also be a major factor in your purchase choice...

Lots of questions :)
04:08pm 05/07/18 Permalink
whitetip
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
Welcome, whitetip :)

I guess it all depends on the types of games you enjoy playing? Why are you specifically looking at PlayStation 4? Any games that make you lean that way? Most of the older users here are PC-centric, but a lot of us also play console games. Some console games use dedicated servers, but depending on your connection, you'll likely be mostly up against peer-to-peer which isn't so bad in the modern day with how companies look at networking in their backend.

Also, while you mentioned you don't have a 4K TV, is that something you'd be planning on upgrading to in, say, the next 12-18 months as prices drop? Because that can also be a major factor in your purchase choice...

Lots of questions :)

Firstly, thanks so much for your reply.
I think I'm looking at Playstation because I've had experience with one (lol, albeit a PS1 - so yea, a lot of changes) but also because I've got a few more friends that are members(?) of Sony/Playstation, so was hoping to join them in gameplay. Definitely not a PC gamer at all, want to *try* and keep away from PCs as much as possible (already overuse them.)

Type of games? I'm not too sure how to clarify - but I enjoy the games like Crash (noticed the recently released Crash Bandicoot Trilogy) and SW Battlefront. But again, totally new to this.

As for the TV, 4K definitely on the cards.

Really just didn't want to purchase a console and then never be able to master multiplayer mode, being a new user.

Thx again!
04:22pm 05/07/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41122 posts
ps4lyfe

such great exclusives
07:04pm 05/07/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
943 posts
why do they call you whitetip?