Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus has finally made its way to the Switch, and just like the excellent DOOM it looks amazing - mostly.
Wolfenstein II on the Nintendo Switch!
Comfortable Bed, Tasty Breakfast, Creepy Robot Employees.
The Spectrum Retreat Review
We go deeper into Cyanide Studios' ambitious Investigation-RPG, Call of Cthulhu, and come out gasping for air...
Call of Cthulhu: How Cyanide's Investigation-RPG will Break You
Retirement Goals
G-R0nk
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
17 posts
08:38am 18/06/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:38am 18/06/18 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7754 posts
mad rooter
09:25pm 18/06/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
23 posts
https://goo.gl/images/3MJtYS

last edited by G-R0nk at 12:10:04 08/Jul/18

last edited by G-R0nk at 12:10:27 08/Jul/18
12:09pm 08/07/18 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11786 posts
My retirement goals include a Quintrex Trident with a marinised 308, and a Jayco Expanda (which mrs hardware always calls a Jayco Sex Panda)
07:41pm 09/07/18 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9335 posts
Have enough $ to enjoy life, that's about it.

^ what's the deal with a caravan? I just don't get spending $50k plus, then needing a suitable tow vehicle and then have the increased running costs of owning the van, plus additional fuel use and safelty aspects of towing a small house etc...

Why not just save a s*** load and stay in motels/cabins where you literally have to do nothing but open the door and close it when you leave.

Each to their own though, but no caravan drama for this guy.
09:00am 11/07/18 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
24095 posts
my retirement goal: never retire.
11:05am 11/07/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26465 posts
That would be a hard goal if you worked a real job.
11:11am 11/07/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
25 posts
too many people with motels/cabins - its good to be at a loose end and go anywhere
12:15pm 12/07/18 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9336 posts
^ what does that mean - too many people with motel/cabins?

I get the certain freedom a caravan may provide but to me that's outweighed by all the hassles, and expense, that goes with them.
03:20pm 12/07/18 Permalink
Zylox
Brisbane, Queensland
1547 posts
1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
Na just kidding.
09:09pm 12/07/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41129 posts
so i guess you not a camping guy either mission?

i often look with envy at the grey nomads rolling in with their super deluxe caravans, setting up in 15mins and then having all the home comforts wherever they go.

no cabins needed.

ps cabins are usually scabby as f*** and have bed mites.

id love to just cruise australia setting up wherever i want and living in comfort and luxury.

does need a decent tow vehicle.
05:39am 13/07/18 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9337 posts
so i guess you not a camping guy either mission?

Used to do camping which was a lot of fun with the kids but they are older now and the whole preparation, packing, towing, unpacking, camp site assembly (tent, beds, cooking stuff etc), pack up, tow home, unpack and clean up after you get home got old - it's a serious pita. Then when you have bad weather it goes downhill even more.

And then having to store all the stuff at home....

As I said, it was fun, I just got sick of all the hassle that goes with it. Caravans would alleviate this somewhat, but it still needs to be maintained, set-up, water tanks filled, generators fuelled, waste/sewage disposal, cleaned etc.

I like holidays to do fun stuff, not chores.

The other downside to a caravan is that you have to drive everywhere, Australia is big and driving takes a long time and therefore a large chunk of your holiday time. So you are kind of restricted on how far you can go in relation to how long your holiday is.

I'd rather fly (hire a car if need be) and enjoy the destination for longer.

Finding a nice place to stay isn't hard at all (and will be cheaper than buying, owning and operating a caravan) and is way less hassle than towing a house. You don't need to stay in a dump.

In saying all that, if I planned to do a lap of Australia then yes I may consider a caravan/motorhome, but for most holidays, that are shorter and time constrained - nope, they just don't make sense to me.

Again, each to their own.

08:26am 13/07/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41130 posts
Driving around is the holiday bro, thats the whole point. Retired ppl have lots of spare time, they in no hurry to be anywhere.
04:07pm 13/07/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
26 posts
Mission what i mean is - i've tried to start a club of people who dont like people, its really hard to get us all together - Bill Hicks RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWUIKtAMWQ

last edited by G-R0nk at 08:21:50 14/Jul/18
08:20am 14/07/18 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
24102 posts
I'd rather fly (hire a car if need be) and enjoy the destination for longer.

QFT
01:20pm 14/07/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
27 posts
i tried to edit but i've failed internets 1.1 - he kills in this version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtcbYTitMvo

rip bill hicks
06:15pm 14/07/18 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11787 posts
fully legitimate questions, mission.

It would absolutely make 100% more financial sense to just motel it up all the time.

But

the allure of not feeling like you're 'living out of a suitcase' combined with the ability to pull up to the great australian bight and put the kettle on is comfortable and appealing. To have the benefits of your own little house with you all over Australia is pretty neat. And caravan parks often have much more desirable locations (beachfront etc) than motels do (highway1).

Essentially I see caravanning as the best of both worlds - all the independance and freedom of camping, without the need to spend 3.5 hours to set up a tent that leaks and has mozzies in it and lets the sun in at 4:53am. Lockable doors too.

It's absolutely a romantic notion. It's a lifestyle choice, not a 'lets try and see as much stuff as quick and cheap as possible' - however that does have its benefits too.

I'd absolutely have a caravan if I had the time to use it.
08:41pm 14/07/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41131 posts
the real question hardware is what is towing your caravan?
08:54pm 14/07/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
28 posts
06:52am 15/07/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41132 posts
as with anything american, you can get totally ridiculous options. their massive pickup trucks with the full semi style hitches.

and then their trailers are these massive f*** off things with rooms that push out of everywhere and it would end up being bigger than a lot of houses.

07:52am 15/07/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
29 posts
would be pretty sweet to hire one for burning man, would be such a noob there
08:17am 15/07/18 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12274 posts
You would have some explaining to do when it comes back covered in artwork, no doubt.
03:32pm 15/07/18 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11788 posts
the real question hardware is what is towing your caravan?
Yes, this is a real dilemma. 'Vans have become quite heavy, as people expect more out of them than just a 1990s Jayco Pop-Top.

I'd be quite happy with a modern-ish ~1500kg pop-top, towed by a Falcon, on LPG of course. (Total cost = $30k or so)

However, Mrs Hardware is only willing to do it (at this stage) if it has an ensuite and aircon. Once you add the weight of these and the extra dimensions necessary, you're looking at more like 2600kg, too heavy for a falcon. And too heavy for many second-hand vehicles - it's actually only in the last 7 or 8 years that you have been able to buy something other than a Cruiser or Pootrol that can comfortably tow more than about 2500kg. Basically every new dual cab ute can tow 1000kg more nowadays than it could in the mid 2000s.

Which then further heightens my dilemma, as I detest the agricultural ride & performance (and cost!!) of dual cabs, and they are so often diseasels, of which I also hate.

So it's either buy a frickin LandCruiser on Gas (total cost of both car & van - upwards of $65k for reasonable secondhandies) or pare back expectations about what a Caravan has to offer.

Or just wait until I'm old and have middle-aged-man coin. And time.
10:39pm 15/07/18 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12275 posts
This should be able to handle it.

11:16pm 15/07/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
30 posts
what is it with you and gas hardware - are you and ole cabbie?
05:57am 16/07/18 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9338 posts
I'd be quite happy with a modern-ish ~1500kg pop-top, towed by a Falcon, on LPG of course. (Total cost = $30k or so)

See, for me, that's the combination that I don't understand the most. A tow car and van not capable of going off-road (I don't mean nasty 4wd tracks) and a caravan without air-con or bathroom facilities hardly represents 'home away from home' creature comforts.

A 4WD and off road capable caravan would be the minimum to make the whole show worthwhile imo.

A lap around AU I can see the advantages of a caravan, but my initial comments were more targeted at pre-retirement type holidays where holiday time is precious (you only get some many holiday days per year) and not a lot of it (so caravan doesn't get much use, so an expensive box on wheels sitting in the front yard).

last edited by mission at 08:53:42 16/Jul/18
08:45am 16/07/18 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
4100 posts
My Dad does a fair bit of traveling in his caravan and has been doing it ever since he retired.

Air con is a godsend so you'll want that unless you only plan to travel in the cooler months. Bathroom is really only good in the middle of the night and you need to go because its preferable to use facilities rather than use your own toilet. The only time he has ever wanted 4wd was when the camping grounds were a bit wet or muddy. Most people would not be going on a 4wd adventure even if they had a capable 4wd. He hated manual cars when towing a caravan and would never go back to using one.

09:27am 16/07/18 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
639 posts
My folks spent about 6 months travelling around Australia towing a A-frame behind a hilux when they retired.

One of the things they mentioned of being good is that you have a lot more freedom on where and when you travel. You arn't as locked in by accommodation bookings etc etc.
01:48pm 16/07/18 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11789 posts
what is it with you and gas hardware - are you and ole cabbie?
I swung spanners off cabs in the early 2000s when I was an IT student.
06:34pm 16/07/18 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11790 posts
See, for me, that's the combination that I don't understand the most. A tow car and van not capable of going off-road (I don't mean nasty 4wd tracks) and a caravan without air-con or bathroom facilities hardly represents 'home away from home' creature comforts.
And that i think is me mrs point of view too. I'm quite happy with very few creature comforts -- i'll happily piss behind a bush, crap at the maccas, shower at the beach and just sleep starkers if it's hot.

A RWD sedan with the towball weight of a van has a surprising amount of traction - very few places can you take a van that *require* 4WD. Most people overstate the importance of 4wd quite significantly.
06:49pm 16/07/18 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9339 posts
A RWD sedan with the towball weight of a van has a surprising amount of traction - very few places can you take a van that *require* 4WD. Most people overstate the importance of 4wd quite significantly.

True, but it's not just about the towing.

Leave the van behind and hit the dirt tracks, or the beach, to see the real Australia - you can't do that in a Falcon. So if you are bothering to do a lap of Australia you are going to miss a lot of the good stuff in a standard sedan.

And while a Falcon could do the towing, a 4wd, (esp turbo diesel) will be far better overall when towing a heavy load.

Again, just my thoughts - if I did the caravan around AU, 4WD and decent self contained van or I wouldn't bother, might as well just drive a sedan and use accommodation as required.
10:15am 17/07/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
31 posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVFO8pXxkY

Ahh i remember.. that's goin back a while there hardware
05:40am 18/07/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:40am 18/07/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums