At BlizzCon 2018 we sat down with the team behind the upcoming mobile game Diablo Immortal to talk about bringing the franchise to an even smaller screen.
Talking Diablo Immortal with Blizzard
For all intents and purposes, Call of Cthulhu should have been amazing. Our full review and dive into madness
Mad About You - Call of Cthulhu Review
We've taken Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang to hell and back. But does the hype bail stack up? We go in-depth to answer that very question...
Ain't no Chicken Feed | Red Dead Redemption 2 Review
We chat with Bethesda's Pete Hines about Fallout 76, the series, and those first moments of Fallout PvP...
Fallout 76 – In Conversation with Bethesda’s Pete Hines
Let's Play Something Old School
notgreazy
Other International
927 posts
Anyone else playing something old school?

I'm currently playing The Guardian Legend, a hybrid action-adventure/vertical-scrolling-shoot-'em-up NES game that is nearly as old as me. The game's art is super cool, it's like a hybrid between Zelda and Resident Evil with gameplay switching between Zelda item collecting/monster killing and space shoot em up.

The game has no save feature, so it provides a super long passcode (32 bit) that uses special characters. Thank you save states!

You can checkout the gameplay here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVtC6yG0E98

https://i.imgur.com/amIyOkZ.jpg
12:26pm 20/05/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:26pm 20/05/18 Permalink
smegger
South Australia
26 posts
I still play the old SSI AD&D games almost every day for an hour or so.

Just downloaded an Amstrad emulator just to play a space trading game I loved! Macrocosmica,
02:14pm 21/05/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24039 posts
I never really go back and play old stuff, too many awesome new games coming out that I already don't have enough time to play!
02:29pm 21/05/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
928 posts
I never really go back and play old stuff, too many awesome new games coming out that I already don't have enough time to play!

I'd be playing the latest if I had time + a gaming rig. You never wanted to checkout a game you never got to play because you living in a Nintendo/PS/Xbox household?

There's classics like Shadow of the Colossus I never played because I never has access to a PS2, or NES games that were before my time
04:43pm 21/05/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24040 posts
Theres some old games I missed that I regret not playing, like I never played FF7 for example, but I dunno I just find it loses something if I go back and try and play old games because I can't put myself back in that same mindset and enjoy them like I would have when they first came out, I find myself comparing them to modern games and they inevitably come up lacking for me. I know its an unfair comparison, but I can't help it, like I got the re-release of Ocarina of Time a few years back when it came out on 3DS and hated it because it felt so old and clunky, and I recently played the remake of Shadow of the Colossus and came away extremely unimpressed because it just felt so old and empty compared to modern open world games. I have no doubt both of those games were amazing though at the time they came out, but they just can't hold up to the standards of modern games, and without that nostalgia hook of it being something I loved as a kid and want to replay, I don't find much there for me.

I'll freely admit though, I'm probably in the minority, because HD remakes and re-releases of old games sell f***loads of copies, so theres certainly a demand for that sort of thing. Just personally though, it doesn't grab me
05:02pm 21/05/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39593 posts
I am playing Batman: Arkham Knight at the moment - well, just finished it. Not really "old school" but I've been wanting to play it for ages & it was finally on a Steam sale I noticed. Great fun.
06:06pm 21/05/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26409 posts
I have a raspberry pi with literally every old school game ever on it but all I play is Mutant League Hockey and Road Rash 2.
06:07pm 21/05/18 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11781 posts
Yeah the RPi with retropie on it is one of the coolest things i've done for myself lately. It's quite customisable and returns a lot of the fun of computing of yesteryear - not just the old games, but the thrill and awe of setting it all up yourself from scratch.
08:31pm 21/05/18 Permalink
Zylox
Brisbane, Queensland
1546 posts
I want to play Mario cart 64 with my 5yo son. He needs to use his brain a bit more as he watches a lot of cartoons on YouTube. Also Mario64 should be good for him.

So if anyone is willing to part with there closeted N64 in Brisbane, I'm offering $50.
11:54pm 21/05/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41085 posts
emulator? you'll probably struggle to pickup an actual n64.
05:22am 22/05/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24041 posts
Keep an eye out, Nintendo have already re-released a retro NES and SNES, maybe they'll do an N64 as well
11:32am 22/05/18 Permalink
Morgan
Brisbane, Queensland
3879 posts
You could easily pick up an N64 from gumtree or eBay but not for $50. Retro consoles + computers are generally $100+. Hell, Amiga's routinely go for $500+
12:19pm 22/05/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
929 posts

N64 controller is something special. My favorite controller, maybe just because of the memories associated with it. You can actually buy a modern N64 controller: https://www.gamesmen.com.au/cont-n64-retrolink-usb-controller-grey

I'd go through emulation if you have a decent computer. Emulation these days is amazing.

Theres some old games I missed that I regret not playing, like I never played FF7 for example, but I dunno I just find it loses something if I go back and try and play old games because I can't put myself back in that same mindset and enjoy them like I would have when they first came out, I find myself comparing them to modern games and they inevitably come up lacking for me. I know its an unfair comparison, but I can't help it, like I got the re-release of Ocarina of Time a few years back when it came out on 3DS and hated it because it felt so old and clunky, and I recently played the remake of Shadow of the Colossus and came away extremely unimpressed because it just felt so old and empty compared to modern open world games. I have no doubt both of those games were amazing though at the time they came out, but they just can't hold up to the standards of modern games, and without that nostalgia hook of it being something I loved as a kid and want to replay, I don't find much there for me.

I'll freely admit though, I'm probably in the minority, because HD remakes and re-releases of old games sell f***loads of copies, so theres certainly a demand for that sort of thing. Just personally though, it doesn't grab me

I can understand that feeling, I remember playing an emulated GBA game on my laptop and the graphics were a shock but after a while they became normal, going back to current gen games was another shock haha.

I don't know about HD remakes, tbh I've never played one. I usually go straight to the source.
I am playing Batman: Arkham Knight at the moment - well, just finished it. Not really "old school" but I've been wanting to play it for ages & it was finally on a Steam sale I noticed. Great fun.
Loved this game, my only regret was playing on the hardest difficulty. It just increases the enemies and nothing else.

01:58pm 22/05/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24042 posts
I enjoyed Arkham Knight, except for the Batmobile tank bits, those can just f*** right off
02:17pm 22/05/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39597 posts
I enjoyed Arkham Knight, except for the Batmobile tank bits, those can just f*** right off
yeh after failing a couple of those I actually looked up cheat codes to see if I could skip them, I was that pissed off. I ended up not finding any so took a break and came back and figured it out. I still haven't done the Firefly missions though
05:55pm 22/05/18 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9609 posts
Oldskool? Half the things being listed here are for barely two or three generation old hardware.

You want oldskool? Get yourself some Rockford! https://codeincomplete.com/games/boulderdash/
07:57pm 22/05/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39598 posts
I recently picked up Dungeon Keeper from GoG and played a ton of that. Great fun.

Speedball 2, Populous and Rescue Raiders are my go-to oldschool games.
08:24pm 22/05/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
930 posts
I recently picked up Dungeon Keeper from GoG and played a ton of that. Great fun.

Is dungeon keeper the game where you play as the bad dudes trying to stop the hero? The trailer is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnRUE14ozA
10:34am 23/05/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39599 posts
yup. classic Bullfrog. When I have spare time I want to go back and play through their whole catalogue.
11:44am 23/05/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
931 posts
yup. classic Bullfrog. When I have spare time I want to go back and play through their whole catalogue.

Wow they made Populous, that game is awesome.

Are you guys doing old school reviews? You should do some old school reviews.
03:01pm 23/05/18 Permalink
Jim
13756 posts
04:25pm 23/05/18 Permalink
G-R0nk
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
9 posts
how long till wolf3d turns into a classic i wonder.. has anyone tried the re-make yet ?

shake it baby..
04:54pm 03/06/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
933 posts
how long till wolf3d turns into a classic i wonder.. has anyone tried the re-make yet ?

shake it baby..

IMO anything can be a classic, but what's actually old school? I saw a post on reddit about a Facebook game that was "from my childhood". That's really funny to me, but kids from 2005 are now adults. So anything can be a classic and old school!
10:16am 04/06/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:16am 04/06/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.