There’s definite substance below the shiny neon ‘80s surface.
Crossing Souls Review - Capturing the Feel of 80s Spielberg
The expansion to Civilization VI is available now, and it's a definite return to form. Our full review!
Civilization VI: Rise and Fall - A Golden Age for Simulation
We journey deep into the forest in search of monsters. To hunt. And to find the right ingredients for a kick-ass stew.
Monster Hunter World Reviewed!
Ubisoft hasn't given up on their epic origins opus yet. Or on its main character, Bayek, as we explore in this review of the first major DLC for the game.
Assassin's Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones Review!
QHD monitor recommendations?
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39467 posts
I'm looking to finally upgrade away from a cheap HD monitor I've had for like 8 years. I want to get something preferably QHD as my PC is still kinda old and I don't want to upgrade anything to have to deal with 4K; I think my i7 + GTX660 should be OK to handle QHD though.

I am trying to find something with the following features:
- really good colour support & contrast for doing more work with photos. Not convinced I need 10 bit yet (I think I'll get a 4K 10-bit monitor when I upgrade my PC in a year or two).
- preferably 25" although it seems most good QHD monitors start at 27"
- decent input lag response time for multiplayer gaming (not sure how much difference this actually makes as I've never done a side-by-side comparison of a "good" vs "bad" monitor)
- preferably with DVI (seems many only have HDMI these days?) and USB hub for bonus. Don't care about speakers.
- preferably with stand that allows raising & lowering, although I'm at the point where I think I'll buy a proper arm for it now so I can move it around properly.

I have done a few hours research and it seems there are a bunch of new features coming soon especially for improved visions (e.g., HDR10); not super fussed on these as I'll get it in my next one if it works out.

Optimally I'd like to check out a few in action side-by-side for comparison; I don't mind dropping some dollars on this but I really don't want to do it on a gamble. I went to U-mart today and they don't really have anything on display; JB Hi-fi only have lame HD ones on display.

Suggestions/feedback appreciated.
05:35pm 12/02/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:35pm 12/02/18 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6615 posts

Acer Predator XB241H? Doesn't have DVI but DisplayPort is better

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36955/acer-predator-xb241h-24in-144hz-g-sync-gaming-monitor

05:44pm 12/02/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39468 posts
That is vanilla HD, I'm after QHD specifically (2560x1440 - I think aka 2K).

edit: The BenQ SW2700PT was the leading contender until I read a few things about the input lag being fairly high, which makes me hesitate, but otherwise it sounds perfect. edit #2: Although other reviews imply it's actually pretty good. It's more than I wanted to spend because it's 27" though :(
07:08pm 12/02/18 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9323 posts
I have the SW2700PT and it's really good.

I can't comment on input lag as I don't use it for gaming or anything that may show up input lag. I use it with a MacMini for general duties but also photography as a hobby.

It is getting up there in price for a 27" but I'd buy again if photography was still an interest.

https://www.computeralliance.com.au/27-benq-sw2700pt-ips-adobe-rgb-color-management-monitor
09:01am 13/02/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39469 posts
Thanks dude. It seems to have great reviews generally for this purpose. Just have to work up the guts to pull the trigger :D
03:52pm 13/02/18 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4361 posts
trog if you're in Brisbane atm i have an AOC U2868PQU dualing with another monitor, but I want to switch with a UW

as new condition, box & styro + papers etc, air conditioned it's whole life xD

$200 if you're interested
05:48pm 13/02/18 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1688 posts
I have the ASUS PG279Q love it. Ticks all your boxes, did see over on Ozbargain the Acer XB271HU this is pretty much the same screen.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/360550
02:55pm 14/02/18 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9568 posts
Acer Predator XB241H? Doesn't have DVI but DisplayPort is better

FWIW I have one of these as my main display - I don't know that I'd go with a GSync display again, I don't believe I'm seeing the benefit. I'm also not sure I want to have to deal with buying a graphics card that can push 2560x1440 at 144Hz.
10:38am 15/02/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39471 posts
trog if you're in Brisbane atm i have an AOC U2868PQU dualing with another monitor, but I want to switch with a UW

as new condition, box & styro + papers etc, air conditioned it's whole life xD

$200 if you're interested
thanks for the offer dude! Very tempted but I ended up picking up the BenQ. It's pretty amaze although for the cost I do wonder if I should have just shelled out a bit more for a 4K. But I keep forgetting this was always my plan & I didn't want to have to upgrade my video card (which is defo struggling as-is with the 2K)!!
11:01am 15/02/18 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2832 posts
Post pics of it when it's set up.
08:12pm 15/02/18 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4362 posts
yeah nice monitor that one. 2k, color matching and a glare hoody

my first impression was that $1000 is a bit at the top end of price though for that baseline spec, compared to the Dell 27QHD's the U2715H is about $400 less and the U2717D $370 less, but they (probably) would not have that colour matching tech, and that's a nice glare hoody
05:35pm 16/02/18 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
15623 posts
FWIW I have one of these as my main display - I don't know that I'd go with a GSync display again, I don't believe I'm seeing the benefit. I'm also not sure I want to have to deal with buying a graphics card that can push 2560x1440 at 144Hz.
That's kind of the whole point of GSync Raven: to prevent screen tearing when your framerate output drops below the configured display refresh rate.

With a display running at 144Hz, it means that you don't have to run a system/settings that never drops below 144, you can have it dipping down toward 60 when things get busy and still have everything looking nice.

Gsync won't activate at all unless your output framerate drops below the display's refresh.

Sure, If you want the absolute lowest input latency, you'll be running a beast PC cranking out so many frames that it never drops below 144 and gsync is redundant, but you're only going to want that in serious competitive shooters etc. For everything else, it's nicer to turn as many settings up to Ultra and let Gsync pick up the slack.

For anyone with a Gsync screen, there's a really good in-depth guide here on Blur Busters , they do the high-speed camera tests and log how much input lag various gsync and vsync configs introduce, but skip to the "Optimal G-SYNC Settings" for the tldr.

Basically, if the game you're playing has an in-game frame limiter, cap that at 3 FPS below your display's rate , if the game doesn't have one, use the RivaTunerStatisticsServer app to force it (RTSS is lower latency than the other options). Disable any in-game vsync and triple buffering options. Enable vsync and gsync in your nvidia control panel. Bam! best balance of low latency and no tearing.
06:00pm 17/02/18 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9572 posts
That's kind of the whole point of GSync Raven: to prevent screen tearing when your framerate output drops below the configured display refresh rate.

With a display running at 144Hz, it means that you don't have to run a system/settings that never drops below 144, you can have it dipping down toward 60 when things get busy and still have everything looking nice.

Huh? I thought the reverse was true - that it was to prevent tearing when the system is trying to drive *over* the native refresh rate, which is where tearing traditionally happens - and is a huge problem with fast cards on 60Hz panels.

My point was more that while I wouldn't be averse to buying a 125/144Hz panel in future, I'd probably just go with a FreeSync panel which is part of the HDMI2.0b spec anyway.
01:40pm 19/02/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26250 posts
You're right - screen tearing occurs when the framerate goes over a monitor's refresh rate. To prevent this on a standard monitor you turn vsync on. However if you do this on say a 60hz monitor, and the framerate drops below 60fps, you'll instantly be dumped down to 30fps. A gsync monitor allows your monitor to use all the frames in between 30-60 so these sudden dramatic drops in frame rates do not occur.
06:37pm 19/02/18 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
3364 posts
I've got the Dell S2716DG WQHD (2560x1440) 144Hz 1ms G-Sync 16:9 TN and it's been pretty great.

Thanks for the link Dan! I've been a bit confused about how to get the best out of gysnc.
08:00pm 19/02/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:00pm 19/02/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.