At BlizzCon 2018 we sat down with the team behind the upcoming mobile game Diablo Immortal to talk about bringing the franchise to an even smaller screen.
Talking Diablo Immortal with Blizzard
Plus, of course, plenty of B.O.B. - Ashe’s trusty Omnic sidekick.
Talking Overwatch and the 29th Hero Ashe with Jeff Kaplan
Our in-depth conversation with with Microsoft’s Chris Charla, the head of its indie platform – ID@Xbox.
In Conversation - Talking Indies and More with Chris Charla
We go through the history of Alienware, the rise of esports, and becoming the market leader with co-founder Frank Azor.
Ahead of the Curve - The Alienware Story
The Top 40 Game Soundtracks of All-Time (Part Three)
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3342 posts
And so we now get into the weeds, with only one more countdown to come later in the week. Today we bring you numbers 20 through to 11 of our list of the best videogame soundtracks of all time. Several fan favourites here, potentially even some you were hoping to see along the way. And a few surprises no doubt.

20. Grim Fandango

Platform: PC
    Year: 1998
    Composer(s): Peter McConnell

One of the last great LucasArts adventure games from the ‘90s, Grim Fandango was set in a stylistic afterlife that mixed film noir sensibility with Mexican folklore. The equally impressive soundtrack, by Peter McConnell, also happens to be one of gaming’s purest jazz albums. A genre that we rarely get to hear in the interactive space. With a broad range of styles ranging from bebop, to swing, to Latin, and all filtered through the smoky haze of life after death - this is also jazz done right. And not simple, by the numbers covers or homages. The music of Grim Fandango is rich, detailed, and feels like another character in the wonderful story.

Click Here to Read the Top 40 Game Soundtracks of All-Time (Part Three)
03:59pm 07/02/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:59pm 07/02/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26225 posts
Nice one having HL2 so high up there despite it's minimalist approach. HL2 had one of the most memorable musical cues of all time for me. The timing was probably coincidental but walking through one of the tunnels in the early stages of the game I came across a blackened corpse and just as I turned to look at it a really sharp synth sound blared which just suited the moment perfectly. I am in a world where a person can just die and rot in the sewers and the music suited.

Unfortunately I haven't played many of the other games in the list. Hurry up and post the top 10 already :)
04:06pm 07/02/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24012 posts
Love the Nier Automata soundtrack, it's one of the only game soundtracks I've sat down and listened to over and over, outside of the game, just as background music while I'm working and stuff. Beautifully haunting music
05:15pm 07/02/18 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
3361 posts
Yeah I can remember the HL2 sound track having ace in-game timing with events happening in the game, really worked well.

Diablo 2 is great, I really enjoy the Deus Ex tracks too.

I've just started playing Nier Automata!
07:38pm 07/02/18 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12260 posts
Aussie racing game Powerslide had an amazing soundtrack!
08:49pm 07/02/18 Permalink
Darkhawk
Melbourne, Victoria
148 posts
I recorded music from Super Metroid onto cassette and used to listen to it all the time, I also had a tape that I'd fall asleep to with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIIfXWvus8
09:41pm 07/02/18 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3344 posts
Dark... that extended mix is awesome
10:26am 08/02/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:26am 08/02/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.