From sailing the high seas as part of a Pirate Crew to living the life of an Outlaw in the Old West, this year is shaping up to be another great one for games.
Our 10 Most Anticipated Games for 2018
The epic trilogy concludes. Part Three in our journey to build a new gaming rig, with all the graphs and numbers you can handle.
Benchmarking Our New Gaming PC
Turning iconic Blizzard heroes into anime inspired robots isn't as easy as it sounds.
Blizzard Interview - Talking Heroes of the Storm Mecha Skins
Where we took at look in our hardware room and noticed both a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 Closed Loop Watercooler and Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition just sitting there.
Hardware Mod - Liquid Cooling + Geforce GTX 1070
anyone had a shoulder reconstruction in brisbane?
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40929 posts
specifically through public system? very interested to hear how it went, quality of surgery and time frames attached.

my doctorb who is aweosme is private and its going to cost a mint :(
01:33pm 22/12/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:33pm 22/12/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11742 posts
i heard that most reconstructions in Brisbane are preceded by a fire instead of a development application

Sorry can't help ya Spook, but best of luck, that doesn't sound like it'd be much fun.
04:34pm 22/12/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
887 posts

Hi Spook,

Have a look at the reports that AOANJRR (what a s*** acronym) puts out every year:
https://aoanjrr.sahmri.com/annual-reports-2017

specifically for shoulder:
https://aoanjrr.sahmri.com/documents/10180/181963/Demographics%20and%20Outcomes%20of%20Shoulder%20Arthroplasty

Doesn't really answer your question but does give you some hard numbers. Something I took away from 5 minutes of scrolling is that the total number of operations performed by the surgeon is very important. The more they perform, the less variability in outcome. Also read up on the best Prostheses to use (if your opuses one) because it seems like different kinds have different issues.

05:04pm 22/12/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40930 posts
ta greazy, will have a look.

i need to continue to play sports, so im really interested in sports injury surgeons.

my private guy would be awesome, but id have to work out how to pay for it.

wifey just had a super positive experience through QEII public system on her knee reconstruction.

im checking doctorbs there.
05:07pm 22/12/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21444 posts
Have you considered doctorc's?
05:23pm 22/12/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40931 posts
i dont think thats even a thing matey
05:38pm 22/12/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23914 posts
expect public to have a very long wait time.
06:09pm 22/12/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40932 posts
petal had her acl reconstruction done by a top surgeon using the newest technique through public at QEII in the best time frame imaginable.

even after she got bumped for a month, it was still perfect. (ier this week, covering school holidays and no work engagements for her)

i want to explore that avenue.
06:17pm 22/12/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39390 posts
maybe worth hitting up physios for recommendations? I'd imagine they'd have good insight into especially sports-focused surgeries
07:33pm 22/12/17 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21506 posts
Maybe have private health insurance?
06:55pm 23/12/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21445 posts
Honestly private health insurance tends to cover f*** all of anything really, any time i have had an experience with it you tend still have to pay for all this extra s*** that private health doesn't pay for which i am assuming that is what spook it talking about.
10:20pm 23/12/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6324 posts
Well, I think I can easily claim to have had more surgeries here than most people...27 at last count. Many of them major spinal jobbies but I have had 4 shoulder surgeries. But I have always gone Private. If as you say you are interested in a particular sports physician I can recommend a Doctor James Fardoulous. He is a VERY experienced sports surgeon. He is the man who professional athletes go to to save their careers basically, hes that good. You will see the clubs who use him on his bio.

http://standrewshospital.com.au/doctors/James-Fardoulys

Good luck, other than the 4 hip surgeries I've had, shoulder surgery is one of the most painful. Because of how the joint moves its a really painful thing to get over, but the 'ol Endone and Oxy gets you through it! :)

last edited by Psycho at 01:49:55 24/Dec/17
01:47am 24/12/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40935 posts
hahah, thanks Psycho!

problem is hospital cover, premiums are expensive and you still get a hefty bill so we ditched it.
05:03am 24/12/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6325 posts
hahah, thanks Psycho!

problem is hospital cover, premiums are expensive and you still get a hefty bill so we ditched it.

Mate if I win Lotto, I got you covered.
02:43am 27/12/17 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7845 posts
Plus 1 to the recommendation for Jimmy f. Did mine years ago...still good
07:37am 27/12/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
892 posts
Psycho why so many surgeries? Super old or just bad luck
12:04pm 05/01/18 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12301 posts
specifically through public system? very interested to hear how it went, quality of surgery and time frames attached.
Quality wise you would expect the same quality as most surgeons do public and private system. Time wise...that's another story.
Honestly private health insurance tends to cover f*** all of anything really, any time i have had an experience with it you tend still have to pay for all this extra s*** that private health doesn't pay for which i am assuming that is what spook it talking about.
Yeah having private health doesn't really seemed to have benefited me too much. I'm usually a f*** load out of pocket anyway because everything expensive they don't cover in full. Heart, dental, and knee surgeries. I think the only reason I have it was because someone told me I should for tax reasons...
01:06am 07/01/18 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
3343 posts
I'd just +1 doing some research and getting reviews / recommendations, medical peeps are like any professional service, mileage defo varies! I've got a pretty legit GP and he's always been able to make top notch recommendations.
03:08am 07/01/18 Permalink
baz
Victoria
1324 posts
Ive had 457 shoulder reconstructions in Brisbane.

Left or right?
03:46am 07/01/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40950 posts
right :(

bowling and throwing arm.

06:55am 07/01/18 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
894 posts

Yeah having private health doesn't really seemed to have benefited me too much. I'm usually a f*** load out of pocket anyway because everything expensive they don't cover in full. Heart, dental, and knee surgeries. I think the only reason I have it was because someone told me I should for tax reasons...

Yes, if you earn above a certain amount it's actually cheaper to have basic cover than pay the MLS:
https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/mls.htm

Only makes sense when earning >100k
10:36am 08/01/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23982 posts
I guess it depends on the level of cover too, cos I had surgery recently and my insurance covered 100% of the surgeon's fees and the hospital stay, I just had to pay the $500 excess. Its easy enough to afford that level of cover though when its just for me, I wouldn't want to be paying for that level for a whole family though
12:38pm 08/01/18 Permalink
baz
Victoria
1325 posts
right :(

bowling and throwing arm.

Ok no worries

What sort of things do you bowl and throw?
01:09am 14/01/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40958 posts
balls
06:04am 14/01/18 Permalink
baz
Victoria
1327 posts
Ok thats fine, nothing wrong with that..

Where does your shoulder hurt?

On a scale of 1 -10...1 being crying like a little b**** and 10 being crying like a big b****..

How much do you get your b**** on?
12:19am 19/01/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40965 posts
doesnt hurt at all, now. (had a cortizone shot a while back)

if i cant bowl (particularly) or throw.

i cant live.

last edited by Spook at 05:49:47 19/Jan/18
05:44am 19/01/18 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21472 posts
if i cant bowl (particularly)

going by that you should have ended it years ago
08:25am 19/01/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40966 posts
lolz, even with no shoulder, id happily bowl to you matey (briefly, coz you'd be cleaned up)
08:30am 19/01/18 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21474 posts
underarm isn't allowed bro

(losl)
01:42pm 19/01/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:42pm 19/01/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums