We take the new Razer Blade and its impressive 4K screen for a spin.
Razer Blade Laptop Review - Portable 4K Gaming?
Underneath the shiny new visuals, Outcast remains pretty much the same. A cult classic.
Outcast: Second Contact Review - A Classic Reborn
We delve inside one of the region's most successful names in esports, the LG Dire Wolves.
Behind the Scenes with the LG Dire Wolves
Sony X80E 4K Ultra HD LED Television Review
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3071 posts
With the recent release of the Xbox One X and Sony’s PlayStation 4 Pro last year, gaming in 4K (or resolutions higher than 1080p) has more than become a reality – it’s now quite affordable. With that in mind we’re approaching this review of the Sony X80E UHD TV from the perspective of console gaming with Sony and Microsoft 4K capable hardware - that being the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X.

At a glance the X80E shares the same minimal aesthetic as the rest of Sony’s 2017 line-up of TVs, right down to the very cool aluminium frame and stylish stand. Like most modern displays the X80E can either be wall-mounted or sit on a cabinet or desk. At 5.8 cm thick at it’s chunkiest point it’s not the slimmest unit available on the market but isn’t exactly bulky either. The build quality, as expected coming from Sony is excellent and as such feels way more premium than other cheaper displays in this size range.

As a 4K TV primarily used for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X gaming, the main concern when looking at a display comes down to whether it can handle a 4K image at 60Hz – which the X80E does. This is especially important for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X owners because quite a few entry-level displays as only go so far as 50Hz – making the refresh rate sub-optimal for gaming. That isn’t the case here, and with HRD-10 support the Sony X80E has clearly been designed with gaming in mind, and will work in a plug-and-play fashion with either of the two premium 4K consoles.

Click Here to Read Our Full Sony X80E 4K TV Review
05:10pm 23/11/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:10pm 23/11/17 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2807 posts
Price: From $1,599.00

I am not sure I could spend that much on a TV but it would be pretty cool to have one.
08:03pm 23/11/17 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3072 posts
Yeah, though that's RRP... forgot to add that... which would mean at least a few hundred cheaper than
10:21pm 23/11/17 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3918 posts
If there was a Black Friday sale that brings the price down under 1k for the 43", it'd be pretty tempting.
11:37pm 23/11/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23953 posts
$1,500 is hardly a lot for a good TV, spend much less than that on a 4k HDR set and you're gonna end up with a pretty s*** TV
02:27pm 24/11/17 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3075 posts
Yep, that's pretty spot on Khel. Which is what makes this a decent TV. It's not the entry level model, and for gaming the HDR and 4K are good. No comparison to high-end models, but then you're talking at 2, 3, 4 times the price.
02:46pm 25/11/17 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
16831 posts

$1,500 is hardly a lot for a good TV, spend much less than that on a 4k HDR set and you're gonna end up with a pretty s*** TV

OK so I'm literally looking for a HDR 4k TV for my bedroom to pair with the Xbox One X for Chrissy this year.

Is there some reason this model (half the price of the one above) would be a s*** choice? Its like half the price of the review one.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/sony-43-x7000e-4k-ultra-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv.html
05:21pm 27/11/17 Permalink
Murf
Gold Coast, Queensland
120 posts

OK so I'm literally looking for a HDR 4k TV for my bedroom to pair with the Xbox One X for Chrissy this year.

Is there some reason this model (half the price of the one above) would be a s*** choice? Its like half the price of the review one.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/sony-43-x7000e-4k-ultra-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv.html

Its not actually. Thats just the RRP. The review model x8000 is only $100 more then the x7000 on sony store. The x8000 comes with android TV which is worth paying the extra $100 for IMO.
07:29pm 27/11/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23958 posts
Personally I think any edge lit LCD tv is a s*** choice for HDR, but I'll admit I'm a bit of an image quality snob. Something with full array local dimming is going to give you a much better result if you're going the LCD/LED route. HDR is partly about the super bright highlights, and LCD/LED TVs are good at that, but its also about shadow detail and dark areas and the contrast between the highs and the lows, so if the dark bits aren't actually dark you lose half the effect.

But yeah, the bar for me is probably significantly higher than it is for the average consumer, so to a lot of people that might not even matter.
07:46pm 27/11/17 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
16833 posts
How can you tell if a model is edge lit?!

Its not actually. Thats just the RRP. The review model x8000 is only $100 more then the x7000 on sony store. The x8000 comes with android TV which is worth paying the extra $100 for IMO.

On your link the two TVs seem to be 300 dollars diff?
11:01am 28/11/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23959 posts
On the Sony site it has more detailed specs for the different models, and under the panel specifications it should say whether its edge lit or an array with local dimming
05:48pm 28/11/17 Permalink
Murf
Gold Coast, Queensland
121 posts
How can you tell if a model is edge lit?!

On your link the two TVs seem to be 300 dollars diff?

Looks like its changed now..They were only $100 difference. Must of been part of their black friday deals which have ended.
06:57pm 28/11/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:57pm 28/11/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.