Bethesda ports for Switch are now two for two thanks to the great work in bringing this classic RPG to the console
Skyrim on Nintendo Switch - Our Review!
The Empire Strikes Back this ain't: a sequel that fixes some of the sins of its predecessor, but repeats mistakes, and adds in whole new problems.
Star Wars Battefront II Review... Attack of the No's
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Tesla Model 3 - review
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7753 posts
Doug does a pretty good review of the Model 3.

As a huge electric car nerd, I found it a little disappointing.

When the various "Australia Taxes" are added, I reckon this car will cost around 50 grand for the base model. And for that sort of money I'd like the car to have body panels that fit properly and a few more buttons and switches so I'm not hunting around a flat screen menu to open the glove box ffs.
One commenter suggested that it should have a heads up display - I agree, and it should come as standard.

10:03pm 07/11/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:03pm 07/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39310 posts
I think it looks pretty awesome! So much great attention to detail in it (though explains why they're having production problems with so many fiddly little bits of cool stuff :)

I really dislike the big screen approach too; I want more proper physical buttons. I didn't realise it was an option you could pay more for but it makes sense. It seems like a huge distraction & I hate the idea of night driving with a giant luminous screen blasting in my eyes (tho maybe they have a decent night mode for it to reduce the impact).

The app-as-key thing I kind of like; even though it's another annoying point of failure to have to worry about the backup keycard system probably covers almost every other use case (unless someone steals your phone and your wallet at the same time, but you're just as likely now to have your phone, card and wallet stolen together anyway so not sure it's a big risk).

I am not convinced heads up displays are safe for driving so don't think they're necessary.
10:39pm 07/11/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7754 posts
Hmm yeah I like the heads up display for the speedo and indicator lights.

Like the dude in the video, I have driven cars with the mid mounted speedo (Toyota echo and Nissan X-trail) and I could never get used to it.
11:34pm 07/11/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11704 posts
An interesting watch. Seems like for every cool thing there was an equally annoying thing.
Did you see the metal seams inside the boot! Shocking.
11:37pm 07/11/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7755 posts
Nah I missed it. What part in the video was it?
11:47pm 07/11/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11705 posts
When he's talking about that boot vent thing. Check out the seams.
11:59pm 07/11/17 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6176 posts
looks awesome i reckon, can't wait to get one.
remember this is the budget range but still has all the auto pilot and quick drive train
01:12am 08/11/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12231 posts
This guy talks really fast and has a really annoying voice. But it was a good video, cheers. Here's another one that is basically the same, but by two people who take twice as long. They measure everything in the car, which gets boring fast, but interesting to know if you are super serious. It's a bit more in depth.

11:15pm 08/11/17 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12286 posts
It really feels like a huge gimmick to me. It will probably be what cars will end up being like 10-20 years down the track, but right now I felt it was super bland and boring. The big console screen, I think the novelty would wear off quite quickly and like Trog I would be interested to know what happens at night...
09:53pm 09/11/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11707 posts
so many things are different just for the sake of being different
or are changed for some marginal purpose with no view to livability and servicability in mind (glove box, door handles etc)
I cannot look past these pragmatic flaws just because of the overarching 'electric, cool!' or 'f*** the establishment' rhetoric.
09:58pm 09/11/17 Permalink
shody
Brisbane, Queensland
108 posts
Not having the speedo, indicators, et cetera in front of the driver, I believe, is a very deliberate step towards Ol' Elon's dream of a driverless future.

This is just a baby step to get people more used to the idea of not being in control.
07:59am 10/11/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9318 posts
so many things are different just for the sake of being different
or are changed for some marginal purpose with no view to livability and servicability in mind (glove box, door handles etc)
I cannot look past these pragmatic flaws just because of the overarching 'electric, cool!' or 'f*** the establishment' rhetoric.

I agree.

I didn't watch the whole video as the car just came across as a massive wank.

Yes, the electric underpinnings are a great advancement but all the other s*** is just unnecessary. The interior is balls.

Maybe I'm getting old :/
09:30am 10/11/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12234 posts
Not having the speedo, indicators, et cetera in front of the driver, I believe, is a very deliberate step towards Ol' Elon's dream of a driverless future.

Spot on.
03:20pm 10/11/17 Permalink
Vash
5585 posts
The ipad looking dash looks alittle weird. Like its just hanging there without any contours or looking like it's a part of the dash.
04:54pm 10/11/17 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12287 posts
Yeah, but the nothingness is completely s*** house. The car feels very spartan and cheep looking at that video. Cold and uninviting. Its nice to have his dream of driverless cars and all, but the reality is that by the time we actually have driverless cars out in the wild in anger beyond the current test releases, this car will be the equivalent to a 2001 Astra.
08:02pm 10/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39318 posts
I loved the simplicity of the interior.
Yes, the electric underpinnings are a great advancement but all the other s*** is just unnecessary. The interior is balls.
I thought all that "unneccessary" stuff is what made it great. Like the hooks for grocery bags in the boot, the charging system for phones (you can just swap out cables! it's a car built for nerds). I thought it showed a lot of attention to detail for little things that will improve your life in small but meaningful ways.

I watched the video again and now I hate the big screen in the middle even more. I think that is the ugliest and most awful part about the interior by a long shot.
08:58pm 10/11/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26090 posts
I love the big screen!
09:17pm 10/11/17 Permalink
Furgle
1106 posts
I hope the car isn't made from aluminium. Takes forever to fix... 4.5 months in the bodyshop for me, for a relatively minor incident. If it was my wife's prius, it would have been fixed in 2 weeks.

https://i.redd.it/r4m0nxgve48z.jpg

I've been given a BMW M3 as a loaner car and I hate all the buttons. The touch screen and steering wheel buttons on the Model S are so much more easier to use.

Regarding day vs night, the car switches to night mode when it's dark. The colours on the screen are inverted and the map changes it's colour scheme. It's never really been a distraction.

It does have the benefit of having an extra high res screen behind the steering wheel. I'd be wanting a heads up display otherwise.

last edited by Furgle at 09:24:17 13/Nov/17
09:19am 13/11/17 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
625 posts
4.5 months in the bodyshop for me

WTF are they doing? Surveying for bauxite so they can build a mine and dig it up?
02:36pm 13/11/17 Permalink
Furgle
1107 posts
Apparently parts are hard to come by and most made as required, there's stuff all spares available. You can't panel-beat aluminium, so lots of panels have to be removed and re-riveted and glued. I just got a call that the final part arrived (inside drivers door handle) and the car will be tested, detailed, and ready by Thursday.

I don't have my hopes up, I've been given these sorts of promised many times over the last month or so.

At least the whole car got a re-spray, so I can go and get one of those ceramic paint protection coats done.
03:08pm 13/11/17 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12288 posts
Like the hooks for grocery bags in the boot
Most modern cars have come with grocery hooks for a while (at least everything I've driven in recent years). Some also come with adjustable floors for separating groceries out (mine does, gimmick you never use it). All pretty standard stuff I reckon.
the charging system for phones (you can just swap out cables! it's a car built for nerds).
Same the car I bought 3 years ago. I would assume all cars come with USB charger ports in some configuration that you plug your cables into. Cars at a $30k+ price point you would expect cable routing channels, phone/tablet charging docks/ports and all those gimmicks as standard (I would anyway).

I think Tesla putting out a cheaper car is great for competition and getting competitors to up their game, and I really like they're pushing battery technology forward. But apart from the fact that it is electric, has cool software, and a huge screen on the centre console (that looks like it was stuck on there as an after thought), I don't see anything inspiring about the model 3 that I haven't seen in cars over the last 3 years in terms of build/physical attributes. For software its miles ahead of the pack.
4.5 months in the bodyshop for me, for a relatively minor incident.
What the f***! That is a ridiculous amount of time. I'd say they're having problems getting parts from Tesla then because its not like they're going to 'fix' the panel on your door, that's a write off surely. I didn't even think most insurers would give you a loaner for 4.5 months.
09:39pm 13/11/17 Permalink
Furgle
1108 posts
What the f***! That is a ridiculous amount of time. I'd say they're having problems getting parts from Tesla then because its not like they're going to 'fix' the panel on your door, that's a write off surely. I didn't even think most insurers would give you a loaner for 4.5 months.

$30k worth of damage on a $200k car. They're not going to write that off.

My insurer wont pay for a loaner car, I had to sue the at-fault party for it. Lucky there's companies that will do that for you
09:47am 14/11/17 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12289 posts
$30k worth of damage on a $200k car. They're not going to write that off.
I mean the panel is a write off, not the car. I mean I guess it might be fixable, but that seems to me that they would just get a new panel for the door shipped from the manufacturer (Tesla).
10:14am 14/11/17 Permalink
Furgle
1109 posts
Definitely new panels and doors. You can't fix aluminium like steel.

https://i.imgur.com/TF49kXy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j2yT1O0.jpg
11:08am 14/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39320 posts
Furgle, holy s*** that sucks :( bad luck. I guess once they become more mainstream the parts will become more widely available.

but...
WTF are they doing? Surveying for bauxite so they can build a mine and dig it up?
this was hilarious
08:43pm 14/11/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11708 posts
Woah that's full on furgle, thanks for sharing the cool pics!

I remember similar happening when an ally taxi depot started using volkswagens - one got sideswiped, and was going to be three weeks in the shop, including waiting for parts from germany.

With a Falcon, if you couldn't slap on a new door and fender that arvo and get it back out that same night, then something was really wrong.
10:50pm 14/11/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9320 posts
I remember similar happening when an ally taxi depot started using volkswagens - one got sideswiped, and was going to be three weeks in the shop, including waiting for parts from germany.

Yep, the downsides to having an 'exclusive' or less common car.

We have a Isuzu D-Max and it got hit in the back, not too bad, but parts took ages - I think it was off the road for about a month.

My cousin (who now as a Tesla S) used to have a an Audi A8 (something like that, V8, twin turbo thing) and it got hit in the side bent the wheel. It was off the road for a few months and cost over $30k in repairs...
09:26am 15/11/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11710 posts
Yeah, I've only ever owned one car that wasn't basically in the top five most sold models that year, and i was forced to buy things directly from Honda unless I wanted to wait for ages from overseas.

Ya need to have a very good reason to buy a car that isn't one of the most common models from its respective year.
01:39pm 15/11/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21407 posts
Ya need to have a very good reason to buy a car that isn't one of the most common models from its respective year.

such a hardware thing to say lol
01:49pm 16/11/17 Permalink
Furgle
1110 posts

Is "It's ridiculously quick" a good enough reason?
03:01pm 16/11/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26092 posts
Ludicrously quick even.
05:18pm 16/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39321 posts
Well hardware has a point. If you're prepared to sacrifice a few months when you have any sort of maintenance issue instead of a few days in return for the ludicrously quickness of it then it makes sense. I guess it depends on your insurance & whether you get a replacement car and a bunch of other factors. But it's certainly a trade off.

I'm about to hit four years of living overseas and not having a car and it is so liberating. I am planning to return to Australia soon and it's really sad for me to think I'm probably going to have to buy a car - although I'm going to see how long I can last without it, but it depends on what my partner ends up doing more than anything else.

I would buy a model 3 in a heartbeat if it was cheaper though :D but if I have to get one, I'm going to get the cheapest thing with the simplest repair and maintenance costs I can find
07:41pm 16/11/17 Permalink
Furgle
1111 posts
I'm whole again

https://i.imgur.com/Z4g575Q.jpg

But now I want to trade it in for the new roadster...
01:11pm 18/11/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7757 posts
I wanna get a Tesla truck charge it up with wind and solar and then go do laps around 2GB and Fox News Australia
02:16pm 18/11/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40871 posts
did we cover this yet?
03:44pm 18/11/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12235 posts
Tesla Semi - https://www.tesla.com/semi/

Tesla Roadster - https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

The new Roadster is unprecedented. 0-60mph in 1.9 seconds on the base model. It has a 200kwh battery pack and can do more than 1000km on a single charge.
04:36pm 18/11/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40872 posts
10000nm torque is ridic.
04:52pm 18/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39326 posts
yeh that Roadster looks sick. I guess it will be what, 400k by the time it hits Australia?

Btw they have been advertising the electric VW Golf here in UK recently & just read some interesting comments from an owner. Sounds like a good car (if you can get past Dieselgate) but from what I can see it's just another electric car not available in .au :(
07:44pm 18/11/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11715 posts
if you can get past Dieselgate
I can't.
To me, this kind of thing smacks of a company where lying is systemic. Where management is obviously so insufferable and the environment so toxic that they'd let something like that go out into production, worldwide. I'm upset they haven't been damaged more by it.
But dieselgate is a bigger issue, it revealed to the wider public that diseasels, as i've called them for ages, are terrible motors and the only way to make them conform to the already slackened-for-diesels Euro standards is to cheat.

There's a reason why diesel sales in passenger vehicles are the lowest they've been in 9 years, and that's because diesel in anything this side of a truck is only ever a fad, just as the diesel gemini's and diesel merc 300d's were in the 80s.
07:51pm 18/11/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7758 posts
so much geek jizz spilled

08:16pm 18/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39332 posts
I can't.
To me, this kind of thing smacks of a company where lying is systemic. Where management is obviously so insufferable and the environment so toxic that they'd let something like that go out into production, worldwide. I'm upset they haven't been damaged more by it.
But dieselgate is a bigger issue, it revealed to the wider public that diseasels, as i've called them for ages, are terrible motors and the only way to make them conform to the already slackened-for-diesels Euro standards is to cheat.

There's a reason why diesel sales in passenger vehicles are the lowest they've been in 9 years, and that's because diesel in anything this side of a truck is only ever a fad, just as the diesel gemini's and diesel merc 300d's were in the 80s.
nothing has convinced me diesel should die like living in the city of London; the air is disgusting. It is unlikely I'd be looking for a car in VWs generic price range (which IIRC is quite a bit higher than Japanese cars in Aus?) but I think I cannot look past dieselgate either. I think they will pay their fines and their corporate outlook will change as a result, but they do deserve to be punished in the market for their actions.
10:40pm 19/11/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:40pm 19/11/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.