We take id Software's classic on the road, literally, to see how it stacks up on the Nintendo Switch.
DOOM. Nintendo Switch. Review.
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Recently we had the chance to sit down with the head of Microsoft’s indie game service ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, to discuss all things Xbox, indie, and the future of the platform.
Talking Indies and Xbox One X with ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla
New phone advice (Android)
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21500 posts
Righto lads, I'm due a new phone.

What's the best at the moment? I had the nexus 5 and left that for a Samsung s7, but I like having the clean google experience so I'm considering the pixel 2.

What's the best phone at the moment? What about anything Sony, should I be considering others?

Cheers
09:40pm 23/10/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:40pm 23/10/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39272 posts
I don't follow phones super closely but my worthless 2c:

Unless you can find a cheap new Nexus 5X/6P (some places might still have them but unlikely - I got one at Officeworks ~10 months ago for a bargain) the Pixel is basically the only way you're going to be sure you're going to get an up-to-date Android phone. I think Nexus end-of-life is rapidly approaching so almost certainly not worth bothering. I am on a 5X and expect to get another year out of it. Most people I know seem happy with the Pixels. (I think the iPhone 10 looks way better than then Pixel 2 given their respective price ranges.)

Samsung are (IMO) the flagship manufacturer of Android now so they'd be my first choice in the vain hope that they might be more responsible about keeping devices up-to-date. But not convinced. Most people I know here seem to have the newish Samsungs and are quite happy with them.

My partner is on her second OnePlus phone (OPO 2) and it's started to get super slow and painful. I am a bit suspicious after this issue though but they generally get good reviews and are well priced.

(I have read stuff about a new Android project (edit: Project Treble to allow more easier updates which I think will obviate a lot of the security/updating concerns and take it out of the hands of the manufacturers.)

The new Essential phone is apparently not worth considering; haven't read many positive reviews about it and given the price tag dunno why you would. edit: apparently Essential just dropped 30% in price as of today.
10:42pm 23/10/17 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10985 posts
swapped from xperia z series to the samsung s8+ and love it.
10:44pm 23/10/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23926 posts
Well, can't speak for the Pixel 2, but I have the first Pixel and its a fantastic phone, probably best phone I've owned. I mean its not like it does anything magical, it just does everything I want it to as well as I could hope for. Fast, clean, snappy and responsive, great camera, great quality screen/sound/etc, always on the leading edge with updates, and google assistant is pretty cool too. No f*****g around, never have to worry about compatibility or anything, it all just works and works really really well.
11:43pm 23/10/17 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21501 posts
Great info, thanks guys!

I kinda miss the vanilla Android experience and getting updates as soon as Google releases them.

I'm in the car on my way to the cliffs of moher, but I'll read those links a little later tonight trog. Cheers.
11:56pm 23/10/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40833 posts
samsung notes seem to be the premium samsung experience. (now they got the battery issues resolved)

one plus phones are great also, the newer ones are pretty well specced.

else if you god mad skrilla burning a hole in your pocket, go the pixel.
06:57am 24/10/17 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1247 posts
If you only do a bit of photography, go the OnePlus 5

If you want your photos to be awesome, go the Pixel 2 XL
07:21am 24/10/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26077 posts
I have a Pixel. I had one of those weird dreams recently where nothing works and everything is going wrong. Except for my phone. That worked fine.
08:34am 24/10/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21383 posts
Samsung Galaxy S8 or gtfo

(or note if you want to be super fancy and want the huge screen)
08:44am 24/10/17 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
16805 posts

In the same boat, was considering a new Pixel, but ...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/google-is-investigating-reports-of-pixel-2-xl-display-burn-in/

Maybe an S8 Note? I do like me a nice big phablet.

09:56am 24/10/17 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12277 posts
For me, the phone must be from Google or compatible with LineageOS so that I can get continued updates (especially security). I'm over not being able to get my Android phone patched any more. Treble looks promising, but at the same time that is going to help what....5% of Android devices? I saw Australia Post selling Android phones running 4.x/5.x recently FFS.
10:45am 24/10/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9520 posts
While I love the Sony interface/skin and find the Samsung variant to be horrible, the Sony runs hot, freezes, and does more crazy thing than I can think to list. I've had warranty repairs and replacements on both my Z3Cs and Z5Cs and problem after problem. It's the best phone I've used and I couldn't recommend it to anyone because of all its faults.

Unfortunately, I just don't know which phone to replace it with next time around :/
11:37am 24/10/17 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
15618 posts
There's a bunch of worthy Android phones at the moment Heardy, it's probably hard to go wrong with either Samsung S8/S8+/Note8, OnePlus 5, HTC U11, or Pixel 2.

The Pixel 2 (HTC built) is pretty universally well regarded, but the Pixel 2 XL (LG built) has some complaints about the display quality.

The frequency of updates/long term support is a tricky one though. Samsungs Galaxy line have a pretty good track record in that you can generally expect a device to receive 2 of the major android version updates in its life, so if you generally keep a phone for 2 years should be enough. But you're probably always going to be a waiting a month or five after each new version is released for google's own phones. Your S7 is due to get Android O still in the coming months though.

Motorola is supposed to have faster firmware iterations. The Moto X4 is being considered as more of a successor to the Nexus line than the Pixel devices due to it's price/performance and clean Android experience Motorola Moto X4 Android One review: a Nexus by any other name.

Personally, I went with the Galaxy S8 and have found that the Samsung software bloat isn't as bad as it used to be (i've still turned a bunch of stuff off). Very happy with it. Display quality, performance, camera quality are all close enough to best in class.

@trog I wouldn't bank on getting another year out of the Nexus 5x . Mine died recently, and when i initially went to try and troubleshoot it to see if it was fixable, it turned out to be a very widespread common fault with the motherboard, not unlike the old Xbox 360 red ring of death issue. Google LG bootloop and you'll see endless people moaning about it with the 5x and LG other phone from the era, the G4. Has prompted class action lawsuits and all that fun. LG repaired mine reasonably quickly (with 100% data loss) under 2-year warranty, but it prompted me (and wife) to upgrade to avoid it happening again.

There's probably not always warning signs, but leading up to mine crapping out, I would occassionally take it out of my pocket and find it had switched itself off or rebooted itself.
12:12pm 24/10/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
840 posts
I had an LG G3 which is ooold, moved onto a samsung s5. As you can tell I prefer to use older gen phones instead of forking out massive $$$ for new ones.

Now ignoring the hardware aspect, the LG firmware was really good. It had andriod v6, software was clean run smoothly and contained some but not a lot of bloatware. Never really noticed it.

Samsung s5 (which actually is newer hardware) has awful software full, I mean 20+ apps, of bloatware. The software is a piece of s*** and runs slower than the G3. It's ugly, contains annoying add ons like the S-finder and Quick Find. and I swear the signal is worse on the S5 when I'm at work.
01:24pm 24/10/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23803 posts
I just got a XIaomi Redmi Note 4x and for a cheap phone ($200) it's bloody amazing.
01:56pm 24/10/17 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
4059 posts
I still have a LG G3 and have really liked it. LG's problems since have made it hard to work out what to upgrade to, was hoping the V30 would be the answer but it seems like LG's OLED tech has some teething problems.

I really like the Samsung screens but everything else about the phones suck. Pixel phones are overpriced and from what I've seen of reviews, the HTC made one doesn't have a premium build quality and the XL has the same OLED screen issues as the V30.

I'm currently considering a Huawei Mate 9, I figure since the NSA, Google, Facebook and everyone else is already spying on me I shouldn't really care if China does as well.
02:07pm 24/10/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39273 posts
@trog I wouldn't bank on getting another year out of the Nexus 5x . Mine died recently, and when i initially went to try and troubleshoot it to see if it was fixable, it turned out to be a very widespread common fault with the motherboard, not unlike the old Xbox 360 red ring of death issue. Google LG bootloop and you'll see endless people moaning about it with the 5x and LG other phone from the era, the G4. Has prompted class action lawsuits and all that fun. LG repaired mine reasonably quickly (with 100% data loss) under 2-year warranty, but it prompted me (and wife) to upgrade to avoid it happening again.
yeh actually I definitely should have said I /hope/ to get another year. After the Oreo update I have less confidence - it is the first Android update I've ever had where I felt there was a noticable performance degradation and since the phone feels quite a bit slower and chunkier (it feels slower than my Nexus 4 which I still use occasionally in some cases).
07:12pm 24/10/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6321 posts
Well, can't speak for the Pixel 2, but I have the first Pixel and its a fantastic phone, probably best phone I've owned. I mean its not like it does anything magical, it just does everything I want it to as well as I could hope for. Fast, clean, snappy and responsive, great camera, great quality screen/sound/etc, always on the leading edge with updates, and google assistant is pretty cool too. No f*****g around, never have to worry about compatibility or anything, it all just works and works really really well.

Looks at poor old tired Sony Xperia....hmmmmm Pixel 2 might be a goer hey if the first one is that good( I've seen quite good reviews)...lots to think about...like you say..I just want it to do s***, plain and simple, fast and responsive, not after too many bells and whistles.
11:28pm 24/10/17 Permalink
anonymousxvi
Brisbane, Queensland
24 posts
May I recommend the Alcatel idol 4s
Google Alcatel Australia
01:31am 25/10/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40834 posts
more problems with new pixels:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-pixel-2-noises,news-26029.html
06:45am 25/10/17 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21502 posts
hey guys thanks heaps for the feedback.

I am in Europe at the moment on my honeymoon so haven't had a heap of time to read all the info as yet, but I am back on Friday and will read over the weekend.

fyi i am in Ireland at the moment so my title suits
06:41pm 25/10/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40836 posts
06:44pm 25/10/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39275 posts
I am in Europe at the moment on my honeymoon so haven't had a heap of time to read all the info as yet, but I am back on Friday and will read over the weekend.
congrats brother! don't forget if you pick up a phone in Eurozone you can often get 20% VAT back when you fly out which can make a big difference on a top end phone
07:07pm 25/10/17 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3723 posts
I bought myself a $300 Moto G5 Plus about 2 months ago. It's my first Android, and I'm quite enjoying it. It's very much a mid-range phone in terms of hardware (and the camera is a definite downgrade coming from the Lumia 950), but it's running a very clean version of Android so it feels very snappy and responsive. The battery life is also excellent, and it's supposed to get an Android 8 update before the end of the year.

A 3.5mm jack is a big deal for me, so Pixel 2, Samsung and iPhone are now ruled out : /
11:08pm 25/10/17 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
491 posts
I have the Xiamao Mi Max for around $230 new. BIg screen for watching tv on the go without having a big eff off tablet to hold.
02:31am 26/10/17 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
15619 posts
A 3.5mm jack is a big deal for me, so Pixel 2, Samsung and iPhone are now ruled out : /
Samsungs all still have headphone jacks this generation.
03:06pm 26/10/17 Permalink
anonymousxvi
Brisbane, Queensland
26 posts
Idol 4s specs:
IDOL4S
5.5” QHD 1440 x 2560 pixels
AMOLED, 16M color display
Chipset MSM8976
Octa Core (1.8 GHz + 1.4 GHz)
Adreno 510@550MHz
16 Mpxl camera, touch focus, dual-tone led flash, instant shot
Fyuse 360 Pictures
8 Mpxl Front Camera FF, Front Flash, Real-time face beautification
Internal memory: 32 GB + 3 GB RAM
End user memory: 25 GB
MicroSD (up to 512 GB)
GSM Quadband (850/900/1800/1900)
UMTS 1/2/5/8,
HSPA+ 42 Mbps downlink, 5.76 Mbps uplink
4G - Support up to Cat 4, LTE B1/3/7/8/20/28A
150Mbps downlink, 50Mbps uplink
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz)
Wi-Fi direct, Wi-Fi display,
Bluetooth 4.2,
NFC,
Micro USB 2.0 high speed,
Support OTG, GPS with A-GPS
Dual-sim capability
Waves Technology
Dual stereo speakers (2 x 3.6W)
Supported formats: AAC LC, AAC+,
Vorbis, PCM/WAVE
Hi-Fi, OM DRM 1.0
FM radio RDS
Flip to mute
Dual-mic noise cancellation
HD Voice
HAC M3
Smart PA (Power Amplifier) TFA9890
Battery: 3000mAh
Charging time: 95 mins
Virtual Reality Goggles in the box
JBL 3.5 mm jack stereo headset
Slim USB cable
Slim charger head
SIM tool
Quick guide
Product Safety Information leaflet
Hotline leaflet
10:15am 27/10/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11699 posts
I just got a XIaomi Redmi Note 4x and for a cheap phone ($200) it's bloody amazing.
Me too, except i got the non-Note version. But like you say, amazing phone for under $200, basically the same as an S6 or something like that. Average camera though.

Will buy Xiaomi's again.
07:40am 28/10/17 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21503 posts
thanks once again for the ideas, I've read all the reviews etc

I am going to wait until March, I have a sneaking suspicion there will be a Galaxy 9 released early next year so may wait for it.

I am reading more and more about Pixel 2 issues, so may give it a miss.
06:56pm 31/10/17 Permalink
anonymousxvi
Brisbane, Queensland
29 posts
Have you looked at the alcatel idol 4s
12:47am 01/11/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21393 posts
HEY GUYS HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE ALCATEL IDOL 4
08:30am 01/11/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
848 posts
Someone bought TCL stock and is now shilling their crapware
10:05am 01/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39289 posts
The first result I get (in the UK) for Alcatel Idol 4S indicates that it is a Windows Phone, although later results seem to say Android?!
09:02pm 01/11/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39295 posts
Huh, I somehow missed Android One. These look kind of interesting - stock Android, no vendor/telco crapware. There is a new HTC phone announced today, though looks like just in Germany for starters. Might be worth a look.
11:34pm 02/11/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:34pm 02/11/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.