There’s definite substance below the shiny neon ‘80s surface.
Crossing Souls Review - Capturing the Feel of 80s Spielberg
The expansion to Civilization VI is available now, and it's a definite return to form. Our full review!
Civilization VI: Rise and Fall - A Golden Age for Simulation
We journey deep into the forest in search of monsters. To hunt. And to find the right ingredients for a kick-ass stew.
Monster Hunter World Reviewed!
Ubisoft hasn't given up on their epic origins opus yet. Or on its main character, Bayek, as we explore in this review of the first major DLC for the game.
Assassin's Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones Review!
Review: Battle Chasers: Nightwar is a Perfect Modern Throwback to 90...
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7502 posts
There's a bit of a theme running throughout the games industry at the moment, with challenge and difficulty emerging as the next vogue. It sort of started with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, peaked with Cuphead, and now ceremoniously continues with Airship Syndicate's inaugural release, Battle Chasers: Nightwar.

Moreover, Battle Chasers: Nightwar comes from the creative braintrust of Joe Madureira and ex-Vigil developers. It's both stunning and compelling -- from a gameplay perspective -- all at once because this crew knows how to borrow, and build, from the best. Doubly, as a budget release, with more than 100 hours of gameplay in front of you, it's an investment you can't really ignore.

Here's a snippet from our in-depth review:
So what is Battle Chasers: Nightwar? The best way to describe it is that it’s an absolutely gorgeous turn-based JRPG-inspired mash-up with Diablo. And we’re not talking over-the-top Final Fantasy-style JRPGs, this borrows heavily from the best in both Namco’s Tales of series (specifically the GameCube’s much-loved Tales of Symphonia), and Fire Emblem. The isometric game-world design in dungeons and explorable areas is simply breathtaking in both art and design, while the dungeons themselves are randomly-generated whenever you freshly restart them, ala Blizzard’s long-running Diablo series.
If those comparisons aren't enough to peak your interest, well, I just don't know what else we can offer. This is pure and excellent game design at its Indie-turn-Triple-A best. Click here for our Battle Chasers: Nightwar review.
02:39pm 11/10/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:39pm 11/10/17 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
1010 posts
Had my eye on this for a while. Will pick up the Switch release when it's out. I believe both this and Yooka-Laylee have been delayed on Switch due to some hiccups with the Unity Engine.
06:51pm 11/10/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12228 posts
This is based on a comic book by Joe Madureira from the 90s. I thought the characters looked familiar. Joe was a hero of mine when I was a kid, I still have X-Men comics with his name on them.

Check out this article with some high resolution art from the game:
20 stunning pieces of Battle Chasers: Nightwar artwork by comic book legend Joe Madureira and his team
08:55pm 11/10/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:55pm 11/10/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.