We take the latest South Park joint for a jaunt on the toilet... will it flush?
South Park: The Fractured But Whole Review!
We chat with the game director and creative head of Machine Games about the upcoming title where killing Nazis is all the rage.
A Happy Ending Filled with Nazis – Wolfenstein II Interview!
From the creators of Payday comes a new action title where you get to steal back treasure from Nazis.
Win a Copy of RAID World War II on PS4
Paypal - protection as a seller
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9511 posts
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any advice to give to ensure you don't get screwed when selling items paid for using PayPal.

I'm currently having to sell a lot of arts supplies, and many of the payments come in via Paypal. While I haven't had any problems yet, the prospect of someone turning around and saying "it never arrived" or "this isn't what I ordered" and then having Paypal turn around and let the buyer keep both the item AND the money isn't a nice one. Same deal with credit card chargebacks - as a buyer can use either the credit card provider or Paypal. Is there any way with Paypal to tell whether a person used a card for a payment, to minimise the risk?

From what I can tell, Paypal accept AusPost delivery confirmation, but credit card providers want signature to say something was accepted. Are there any other things I should know about that people can give advice on?
10:56am 09/10/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:56am 09/10/17 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
3238 posts

Depending on your market those risks are usually minimal tbh, but PayPal does have a bad rep for holding funds arbitrarily for CC processing and generally f*****g over growing businesses so I'd encourage you to shop around for better merchant services/tools

https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/6ej4hb/startups_need_to_beware_of_paypal/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/6ntjfy/paypal_stripe_and_processing_risk/

Depending on how much you want to hedge I'd say a 10-15% PayPal surcharge would solve a lot of problems either way.

01:13pm 09/10/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
823 posts
Agreed with Phooks. Paypal is notorious for screwing over business and freezing your account then demanding arbitrary proof.

I think signature is a must when dealing with paypal/buyers. Also never post to a PO box, ever. Do not accept aliases as names, you can limit to verified paypal accounts only (not 100% about this).

If you can process the credit card payments yourself through a third party, that's a much better method. At least with credit card agencies they will accept proof and not always side with the f*****g buyer.

F*** paypal, I'd rather lose more % than deal with them.
01:38pm 09/10/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4328 posts
hey Raven i use Square & Adobe Sign, ditched PayPal a while ago
09:02pm 09/10/17 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
370 posts
There is a big difference between a large volume online retailer/subscription service than selling off some personal items. If they aren't personal items and it's part of a business then make sure you have a business account with paypal - that is how a lot of small business/sole traders get done with paypal. The business account does have more paper work/vetting to make sure you're legit and they know where to find you if you do the dodge.

Depending on how much you want to hedge I'd say a 10-15% PayPal surcharge would solve a lot of problems either way.

Surcharges are against Paypal's TOS and will get you suspended.

Send registered post or courier if you don't trust your buyers. Courier can be cheaper than auspost.

The processing services have the same catches and consequences. If you scale up fast with any of them then they are going to be cautious until they can trust you. Most of the Paypal issues I have seen have firstly been in the US; involve selling with a personal account; ramping up fast without speaking to Paypal first; dodgy digital products; pyramid/affiliate schemes; high refund rates. I've had buyers try and pull s*** with me but Paypal has always solved the issue fast and with common sense.

If you are selling on ebay then the confidence people get from Paypal can outweigh the negatives.
11:31am 10/10/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:31am 10/10/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.