We take the latest South Park joint for a jaunt on the toilet... will it flush?
South Park: The Fractured But Whole Review!
We chat with the game director and creative head of Machine Games about the upcoming title where killing Nazis is all the rage.
A Happy Ending Filled with Nazis – Wolfenstein II Interview!
From the creators of Payday comes a new action title where you get to steal back treasure from Nazis.
Win a Copy of RAID World War II on PS4
Less Spam, But More News
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7498 posts
So we heard what everyone was complaining about as far as spamming General Chat with news posts goes, and we're only now posting items in here we think warrant your attention such as reviews, features and any news we know impacts this community. That being said, we still want you all perusing our news posts and commenting where possible as we're pushing to get AusGamers into a bigger audience bracket.

I have floated the idea that we have a separate forum section just titled "News" for those of you who don't actually come in and check the AusGamers front page or news tab. But wanted to know how many of you do that, and if whether or not you'd actually prefer a separate News forum if you essentially just spend most of your time hovering in the AGN QGL forums?

Ideally, we want to lessen the spam in your neighbourhood, but also want to promote a bit more discussion on news posts overall.

So, what are your thoughts?
01:21pm 06/10/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:21pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9510 posts
I think a different interface location for news items is warranted. Ones that actually have discussion could certainly end up living in the general thread list, but other new posts that might not be of any interest (but they might generate a discussion, who knows) shouldn't go straight in - but be visible, somewhere. Maybe even just the last 5 new uncommented threads. Perhaps even a 3x2 grid at the top of 'latest news istems' - drop the poster, date/timestamp etc to keep it compact.

Example:

https://i.imgur.com/zOF2OwI.png

last edited by Raven at 13:48:42 06/Oct/17
01:43pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5805 posts
Just restrict Kosta to posting one thread a day...problem solved.
04:55pm 06/10/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23785 posts
^
05:08pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7499 posts
Just restrict Kosta to posting one thread a day...problem solved.

Yep, and then AusGamers dies. Good plan.
05:46pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6310 posts
I think Kosta's post are great...we are after all supposed ot be a community of game lovers...that's how it all started out remember? I would love more articles on games development/hardware/industry news and rumours etc...

The morale crusaders and political keyboard warriors should have their own sub-sections. If someone wants to go vent or read a post about the lastest vegan candle making drum circle, then they can jump into those threads. Me? I want more game/hardware news and views. As that now defunked TV show used to say, "By gamers, for gamers"
06:14pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5806 posts
Yep, and then AusGamers dies. Good plan.

So you're saying Kosta is the life blood of Ausgamers?
Ausgamers was here long before he came along, I'm sure it will be here long after he's gone.
06:55pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23915 posts
More that AusGamers exists while it can pay for itself, if there wasn't news posts and other content bringing people to the site then there wouldn't be an AusGamers. The forums certainly don't pay for it
08:43pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
3316 posts
Kosta's posts are good, ignore the haters!
10:48pm 06/10/17 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
16793 posts
Just give us the option somewhere to toggle news items on / off in the general chat feed, default to on.

S*** isnt robosurgery
01:19am 07/10/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5807 posts
To me, a thread is successful by the amount of replies it has, but the amount of views too plays a part. Currently we can't see how many views a thread gets, is there anyway this can be implemented so we can see just how read a lot of this "spam/news" is?

All I end up seeing is a sea of Kosta posts with no replies to them. If people cared about the posts, they would reply to them.
If it ends up being they end up getting 50+ views, then I'll apologize to Kosta and buy him a coke.
02:38am 07/10/17 Permalink
Arpey
New South Wales
182 posts
Ditch QGL, start an Ausgamers forum proper and this place might grow.
08:59am 07/10/17 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
3231 posts
Wamt to revive this place?

Reset post counts
02:57pm 07/10/17 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
2857 posts
Thanks Viper/Psycho... A lot more hardware stuff is coming up on the horizon...
05:20pm 07/10/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
817 posts
Just give us the option somewhere to toggle news items on / off in the general chat feed, default to on.

S*** isnt robosurgery

dis

+

Allow Kosta to push 1 news item into the general forum. That way, he can post as much news as he likes, but he can be selective into which articles get pushed into the forums for discussion. Look at the screenshot posted, most news articles never get commented on by the local forum posters. Pushing the news items down our throats isn't the answer, it's figuring out how to get more people commenting on the news items from the outside this community. Maybe consider making it easier to post comments, i.e allow twitter or fb sign ins, or allow for anonymous comments that require no login. Heaps of options, but it starts with attracting people.

News items should not be forum posts.
05:38pm 07/10/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23916 posts
The forums would end up so dead without any news posts to comment on. I mean, in the last 36 hours theres only been posts in 5 threads, one of them which is this thread complaining about news and one of which is a news post. And thats on a friday/saturday. At the other end of the scale filling the forums with news posts isn't the answer either but theres gotta be a decent middle ground in there somewhere.
08:37pm 07/10/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5808 posts
Maybe consider making it easier to post comments, i.e allow twitter or fb sign ins, or allow for anonymous comments that require no login. Heaps of options, but it starts with attracting people.

But don't allow these anons to be able to create threads themselves. We've all seen what happens when random noobs start posting threads.
08:55pm 07/10/17 Permalink
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
14882 posts
The forums would end up so dead without any news posts to comment on. I mean, in the last 36 hours theres only been posts in 5 threads, one of them which is this thread complaining about news and one of which is a news post. And thats on a friday/saturday. At the other end of the scale filling the forums with news posts isn't the answer either but theres gotta be a decent middle ground in there somewhere.

I kind of feel like the forums would have been dead either way in that matter. Spamming news posts into "General Chat" lowers retainment of forum readers or furthering discussion, but removing the news articles means your forum goers won't grow news articles causing your site to dip lower and lower than it already is. Push clear filler news into its own forum channel, keep interesting news or in-depth articles like reviews/interviews in "General Chat" to invoke organic discussion and hope that readers of the site want to comment on interesting content like local news that matters more than something I can find on NeoGAF days earlier.

Or I dunno, listen to people suggest stupid s*** like removing Kosta's site input.
11:32pm 07/10/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5809 posts

Well as of my writing this post, out of the first 100 threads on Ausgamers, 77 belong to Kosta (28 of those have replies).
01:44am 08/10/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40818 posts
Reset post counts

EEEEEP
06:18am 08/10/17 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
4095 posts
I think if there was less news I would be more likely to participate or even look at this forum. Most of the time when I do log in I see just a full page of news items and leave. Cant we just weigh forum posts more heavily so they tend to stay up top longer. Most people don't post regularly so 0 reply news items push stuff out. Where are the days of resurrecting days or weeks old posts.

I am sure some smart person can determine an algorithm for ranking posts based of reply frequency/ days since creation.
08:00am 08/10/17 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2785 posts
Get a weeks worth of news and put it into a single post or have a News section unless its big news.
02:04pm 08/10/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
818 posts

The counter argument here is that Kosta is spamming the S*** out of the forums to the point where new threads are not only difficult to find but to continue browsing, seeing the title thread is enough to for me to remember that I commented in that thread and to see what the discussion is. Can't do this when kosta is spamming the forums.

Like I said, news items should not be on the forums. They should have their own comments section.
02:55pm 08/10/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21374 posts
Wamt to revive this place?

Reset post counts

is there anything that doesn't trigger you?
01:34pm 09/10/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11683 posts
we all know my views on this. It was an unhappy marriage from the outset.

Without the old QGL cohort this place would be a ghost town.

The news posts are the definition of spam. They are drowning out the regular discourse that goes on here.

Just give us a non-default option of turning off all posts tagged with ausgamers news as the source. Please.
10:23pm 09/10/17 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
1007 posts
As much as my knee jerk reaction is I don't like spam get rid of it... what interesting threads are they really bumping off the first page? Who's else would post anything more interesting? Take them away and this place would be nothing but the political thread. Right now the non interesting ones get bumped down and the more interesting ones get bumped with some comments. It's fine. I think this place would be worse off without them.
11:31pm 09/10/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
824 posts
As much as my knee jerk reaction is I don't like spam get rid of it... what interesting threads are they really bumping off the first page? Who's else would post anything more interesting? Take them away and this place would be nothing but the political thread. Right now the non interesting ones get bumped down and the more interesting ones get bumped with some comments. It's fine. I think this place would be worse off without them.

It's ironic, the news posts actually bump other news posts off the top. Check this out:

Post counts
25 LessSpam
7973 Political
75 Hugh
26 Elon
40 Piracy
208 Gay
9 Quake
8 COD
14 RedDead
12 Warzone
33 WhyDoYouPost
10 Total War
20 CS: Trog

Every 0 is a news post.
Nearly all low numbers are news counts.

It's more evident towards the bottom of the list: The news posts are literally bumping interesting news stories off the top. If you reduce the spam, you get higher retention of good threads, hopefully leading to more people posting. It's not about no news, it's about being selective what you push onto the forums and recognising what the audience is interested in.
12:18pm 10/10/17 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
1009 posts
Yea I guess it's the volume that's the problem. It looks worse than I thought when you list it out like that.
07:07pm 10/10/17 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
3240 posts
is there anything that doesn't trigger you?
https://i.imgflip.com/1l2kw8.jpg
08:16pm 10/10/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23919 posts
Imo, fire-and-forget type stuff like press releases don't need to be forum threads (or at least, don't need to show up in the general forum), but hot button topics worthy of discussion (like Shadow of Mordor loot box controversies) or reviews/editorials are worth still being threads. Like Psycho said, it IS still a gaming forum after all, just need to separate the meaty topics from the chaff.
10:56pm 10/10/17 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
4625 posts
I just always assumed in the underlying database model that news posts are essentially the same class of thing as forum posts, and therefore show up here as discussion threads on that basis
01:01am 11/10/17 Permalink
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
14883 posts
I just always assumed in the underlying database model that news posts are essentially the same class of thing as forum posts, and therefore show up here as discussion threads on that basis

Essentially. The general forum just takes any non-specific tagged post and thus the news articles get spammed here. There is a news-only tag.

Just push reviews/interviews and the bigger, more "clickbait" articles onto the forums and the rest can be spun out to only front page.
03:42pm 11/10/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
826 posts
Is any of what we're discussing going to be implemented/taken on board by ausgamers or is this another "To do"?
09:06pm 11/10/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23787 posts
this is a venting mechanism
10:36pm 11/10/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5812 posts
Is any of what we're discussing going to be implemented/taken on board by ausgamers or is this another "To do"?

It's like the SSM debate. It's costing us, but nothing will be binding and the admins will do what ever they want regardless.
07:16pm 12/10/17 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7505 posts

It's like the SSM debate. It's costing us, but nothing will be binding and the admins will do what ever they want regardless.

Well this admin intends to go with creating a separate news forum thread, and we'll move to be more selective in what we push to General Chat. So you'll have three options, essentially. A News thread you can peruse and Comment on at your leisure, General Chat will have far less news 'spam', but we'll push reviews and features to it still, as well as divisive news we know people will comment on, and then there's still just the AusGamers landing page.

So, choices.

Will that work for everyone?
01:37pm 13/10/17 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
16796 posts
So you'll have three options, essentially. A News thread you can peruse and Comment on at your leisure, General Chat will have far less news 'spam', but we'll push reviews and features to it still, as well as divisive news we know people will comment on, and then there's still just the AusGamers landing page.

I'm having trouble parsing three options out of that ;)
01:49pm 13/10/17 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7507 posts

I'm having trouble parsing three options out of that ;)

1: Separate News thread
2: General Chat will have specific News (and articles) pushed to it
3: Just go to www.ausgamers.com to find your news, ignoring the forum 'issue' altogether
02:03pm 13/10/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
827 posts

3: Just go to www.ausgamers.com to find your news, ignoring the forum 'issue' altogether

4. DISQUS login for News articles. For easy commenting!
03:33pm 13/10/17 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
1014 posts
I like choice No. 2.
10:18pm 13/10/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39246 posts

In 1 do you perhaps mean "Separate news /forum/"? Otherwise I don't quite get it. If so that sounds good.
01:12am 14/10/17 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7508 posts
Yep Dave, separate News /forum/
01:55pm 16/10/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:55pm 16/10/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums