Researching the world of Warhammer proved to be somewhat similar to their deep dives into real world history. Creative Assembly open up about the latest Total War.
Talking Total War Warhammer II with Creative Assembly
The looming Darkness has not consumed Bungie at this point in time. Quite the contrary. Destiny 2 is the glorious self-rez fans have been praying for.
Out of Orbit - Our Full and Complete Destiny 2 Review
With the NES emulator naming of 'flog' it showcases the ability for the Switch to play NES games. But, it also raises the question of - why?
The Heart-Warming Story Behind the Switch's Hidden NES Golf Game
Having recently entered the Early Access stage of development, we go hands-on with the latest build of id Software's Quake Champions.
Fraggin' Good Times - Hands-On with Quake Champions
Anti piracy campaign from the AU gov. Whats going on?
RuleofBooKz
Melbourne, Victoria
1670 posts
So torrent sites were banned. Even tho there are many things that those sites host that dont break any laws at all

If books were a new thing that just came out today the corporate elite would never permit public libraries.

Yet almost all other media isn't easily available to the public in the same way books are at public libraries.

What is the difference between books and other media? We are told we cant share some media because "reasons". Usually "oh no the poor content creator needs to earn a living". Do authors not need to make a living? But we can "borrow" their works easily! Just go to a public library. In reality the mega corp needs to make $$$.

If you share a book at a public Library its "borrowing" and its not an issue.
If you share a file of media on a website its "copyright infringement" and you are in big trouble!

Why the big difference between books and other mediia???!!

Make ALL media free: books, games, movies, music etc.

Why would we make all media free? Same argument as to why we have public Libraries.

Okay so you say "Mega Corps need to make $$$ too"? So have only low res media at the public library. Corps can make their $$$ out of selling the physical box or for the download of the high res 4k version. Most are happy with the SD film or a Mp3 song version.

OR as an alternative model: make it so Public Libraries charge a dollar a day for anything. Just put it as a tax or a sub or something. Do that and ANYTHING is available to down load from the library. And no BS "watch it once cant save it" or you have an expiry or you need to go thru 10 steps ... No you can D/L it and its yours forever if you want. Save it to your local drive.

One dollar a day too much for some? You can even make it so its free to do the above if you have a concession: say if you are on the pension, or welfare or a vet for instance. All that media no charge.

TLDR: why do we have public Libraries again? "Borrow" books is fine but "copyright infringe" other media not fine?
03:22am 09/09/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:22am 09/09/17 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12250 posts
If you share a book at a public Library its "borrowing" and its not an issue.
If you share a file of media on a website its "copyright infringement" and you are in big trouble!
If you make a copy of a book and give it to other people its also copy right infringement. If you have DVD and you loan it to a friend and its called borrowing. I really don't know where you're trying to go here. If you want to share your movies around, buy DVD's and lend people the disk. Simples. If you're talking about getting movies for free, these studios are paying way too much for that to happen. All that happens is the cost transfers from you to the library. The library is funded by you through your rates, so at the end of the day your rates would go up to cover the costs. One way or another you're paying.
09:42am 09/09/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
795 posts
I was the library today for see a JP. They had movies and music for borrowing....

You need to get your story straight.

FYI pirating books is also illegal.
03:05pm 09/09/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7712 posts
The LNP is Rupert's whore
04:04pm 09/09/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5791 posts
I support piracy cause they closed my local Blockbuster store!
06:23pm 09/09/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23895 posts
TLDR: why do we have public Libraries again? "Borrow" books is fine but "copyright infringe" other media not fine?

Sounds to me like you're just trying to find a way to justify pirating s***. When you torrent something you're not 'borrowing' it, you're not taking temporary ownership of it and preventing anyone else from watching it until you give it back, you're making a copy. If you made a copy of a book, it would also be copyright infringement.

If you want some way to temporarily borrow or rent a movie, theres plenty of avenues for that: Google Play, Itunes, the XBox store, all let you rent movies on demand. If you want it for free, then get a job you bum its like $6.
07:33pm 09/09/17 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
18439 posts
Dude, pirating s*** is stealing. Accept it.

That doesn't mean you have to stop pirating or anything, just accept you do a bit of thievery and stop trying to make s*** up and twist reality around. If you have to go to that much trouble to justify your thievery then perhaps you should just stop pinching other peoples s***, you're just not morally cut out for it. That's OK too.

08:22pm 09/09/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23762 posts
Find a new library
08:23pm 09/09/17 Permalink
RuleofBooKz
Melbourne, Victoria
1671 posts
Hey Tollaz0r! but its not Stealing. Stealing something that is about 20 to 50 bucks is a small crime. "Petty theft".

Borrowing a file that someone decided should not be borrowed is "copyright infringement". Its about 100X more serious than "stealing"

I can argue the other stuff but I haven't felt the need due to lack of any valid counter argument.

Missed you guys ;)
11:07pm 09/09/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26028 posts
How about the counter-argument that if all media was free what would fund its creation?
11:12pm 09/09/17 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
18440 posts

Hey Tollaz0r! but its not Stealing. Stealing something that is about 20 to 50 bucks is a small crime. "Petty theft".

Dude, it's f*****g thievery. It's stealing, pilfering, whatever. It's the same thing, you are taking s*** from someone that doesn't belong to you and not paying for it.

It doesn't matter how much it costs, that's only relevant for the punishment received for doing the same act of pinching s***.

Why can't you accept that you're a thief?
08:35am 10/09/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7713 posts

How about the counter-argument that if all media was free what would fund its creation?

Hence why movies are so s*** nowerdays.
09:08am 10/09/17 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
489 posts
I pay for netflix no worries. But I will continue to pirate every netflix show until they allow me to watch it in VLC and make it a simpler process to download to my device. F*** them.

01:21pm 10/09/17 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
18441 posts
I pay for Netflix and I've found it just so much more convenient to watch something on Netflix than go to the trouble of acquiring something. Mostly because Netflix catalog is large enough and updated enough.

Although if a must-watch show isn't available on it, then I might think about doing something to watch it.

I did like when it was super easy to get oversea's Netflix stuff offerings, now it's too much of a pain in the arse to circumvent the geo-block that it's just easier to get whatever it is elsewise.
07:06pm 10/09/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23896 posts
I can argue the other stuff but I haven't felt the need due to lack of any valid counter argument.

So, you're full of s*** then, glad we got that sorted out.

You may want to look up 'borrowing' in a dictionary though, I don't think this word means what you think it means.
11:45pm 10/09/17 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2768 posts
I torrent. Having things cheaper or made available in better ways helps. I also pay for stuff. It depends on what the thing in question is. I could claim that it's about fighting the big corporations and their bulls***, which it can be, but it's also about because I can. I think there are legit concerns to be had when it comes to all this stuff though.
11:56am 11/09/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21360 posts

this is why we thought you were a knob last time

ps. you're wrong too
01:41pm 11/09/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:41pm 11/09/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.