Researching the world of Warhammer proved to be somewhat similar to their deep dives into real world history. Creative Assembly open up about the latest Total War.
Talking Total War Warhammer II with Creative Assembly
The looming Darkness has not consumed Bungie at this point in time. Quite the contrary. Destiny 2 is the glorious self-rez fans have been praying for.
Out of Orbit - Our Full and Complete Destiny 2 Review
With the NES emulator naming of 'flog' it showcases the ability for the Switch to play NES games. But, it also raises the question of - why?
The Heart-Warming Story Behind the Switch's Hidden NES Golf Game
Having recently entered the Early Access stage of development, we go hands-on with the latest build of id Software's Quake Champions.
Fraggin' Good Times - Hands-On with Quake Champions
HELP - FPS & Laptop issues
Hon
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Hi,

About 1-2 years ago I bought a pretty capable laptop,

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz)
Intel 540S 120GB M.2 SSD
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ Memory (2 slots)
1TB

First up, the performance was fine playing the game without my charger in, I'd get about 60 FPS. Long story short, now If I don't play with my charger plugged in, the FPS will instantly drop to 15 FPS. The battery mode is also identical and set to high performance - plugged in or not.

NOW with the charger plugged whilst on the game, the FPS is around 50-60 at the start of the game, but after about 10 minutes it will sit at around 30-40 FPS which is shocking considering I'm playing the game on LOW everything regarding graphics. Also - another problem that has started to occur - every few seconds or so, my hero won't even react to a command or a mouse click, it will act as if I never did anything, which is extremely frustrating during gameplay. I don't think it has to do with my connection.

Any help will be appreciated.
11:01am 19/08/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:01am 19/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40776 posts
drivers up to date?

laptops never work well as gaming machines and they especially dont like working on battery.

hows the heat of the thing? is it burning up and cpu is turn itself down?
11:37am 19/08/17 Permalink
Hon
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
I was hoping someone would ask something along those lines - regarding the drivers - I installed Windows 7 from a CD my mate had instead of paying an extra $200 for the windows OS that came with the laptop as an extra.

Do you think that could be the reason for a more sluggish performance? I also haven't really updated anything because of this.

Regarding the heat - it's not too bad. The vents are pretty average as is, however I'd say it's probably normal in terms of heating up.
11:57am 19/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40777 posts
u definately need to update your graphics card drivers.

i would also be doing windows update as if you havent there could be all sorts of nasties.

id be chucking on something like malware bytes too, just to make sure you aint filled with nasties.
12:04pm 19/08/17 Permalink
cnnnnnn
Other International
10 posts
with a 960M in a laptop (when you're running off battery, the voltage profile is going to degrade even quicker) with only 2GB of mem to push the pixels, the thermal limits are going to creep up pretty quickly; 10 minutes seem's about right for the GM107 with a TDP of ~65W, so by then it's at full cook without mod cooling or ramping up the passive cooling modifier

you can check if the paging rate is causing the sudden low/lagged responsiveness, but it's likely to do with the processclose bug detailed before and correlatable if you're running Chrome in the bg

i guess not really unless you're compiling in the bg, but as far as Windows 10 goes it's still a thing

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/07/11/2055251/24-cores-and-the-mouse-wont-move-engineer-diagnoses-windows-10-bug

last edited by cnnnnnn at 14:03:34 19/Aug/17

last edited by cnnnnnn at 14:05:08 19/Aug/17

last edited by cnnnnnn at 14:09:20 19/Aug/17

last edited by cnnnnnn at 14:11:18 19/Aug/17
02:02pm 19/08/17 Permalink
cnnnnnn
Other International
11 posts
so if it's not the GPU hitting the TDP it's the mosfet's regulating the voltage to it at whatever profile state it's in that are working hard to keep up that pixel push

read more about the TDP for lappies with M's to understand what's going on
02:17pm 19/08/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5788 posts
every few seconds or so, my hero won't even react to a command or a mouse click

I'm almost afraid to ask what game you're playing
03:29pm 20/08/17 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
617 posts
hows the heat of the thing? is it burning up and cpu is turn itself down?

This would be the first thing I would check. Check the temps , check that the fans are clean and spinning.
11:58am 21/08/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5789 posts
My old room mate killed a lap top by using it in bed all the time...resting on the quilt. This blocked the fans and eventually it overheated.
08:16pm 21/08/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9487 posts
I have an XPS15 with pretty much the same specs - from meory it can go in to integrated graphics mode on battery, but only use the 960m on power.

Either way, the 960m is about capable of playing Civ 6, but not much else. You can play Overwatch poorly on it. Rocket League is okay.
11:06am 22/08/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:06am 22/08/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.