Researching the world of Warhammer proved to be somewhat similar to their deep dives into real world history. Creative Assembly open up about the latest Total War.
Talking Total War Warhammer II with Creative Assembly
The looming Darkness has not consumed Bungie at this point in time. Quite the contrary. Destiny 2 is the glorious self-rez fans have been praying for.
Out of Orbit - Our Full and Complete Destiny 2 Review
With the NES emulator naming of 'flog' it showcases the ability for the Switch to play NES games. But, it also raises the question of - why?
The Heart-Warming Story Behind the Switch's Hidden NES Golf Game
Having recently entered the Early Access stage of development, we go hands-on with the latest build of id Software's Quake Champions.
Fraggin' Good Times - Hands-On with Quake Champions
Tesla Model 3 electric car
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12189 posts
It's finally here, an affordable vehicle from the leading electric car company. Well, it is if you are an employee of Tesla or SpaceX. Some people who pre-ordered will have to wait until next year. Either way, this car is a game changer for human transportation.

Like all recently produced Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles, the Model 3 has the hardware necessary for full autonomy, which will be enabled with a software update once autonomous vehicles have regulatory approval and the software is finalised.

More info: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/model3
01:59am 30/07/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:59am 30/07/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4241 posts
it's just amazing that most if not all of those people in the crowd's entire financial lives and professional careers and dreams are enabled mostly because of the foresight of the the. man.
04:59am 30/07/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40714 posts
my favourite tesla vid of hte moment:
06:00am 30/07/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12190 posts
Haha yeah that street racing vid is hilarious Spook. Way to take advantage of his opponents' ignorance, if they knew what he knew about that car they would not be racing him!
11:28am 30/07/17 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2286 posts
I think I do want one.
By the time we'll be ready for a new car, they should be easily gotten hold of.
11:31am 30/07/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12191 posts
11:45am 30/07/17 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
12845 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: fud
12:21pm 30/07/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12192 posts
You are way out of your depth FaceMan. Popular Mechanics disagrees. Fake news!

If you're predisposed to hate electric cars, then there's a wonderful story making the rounds that'll support your worldview. It claims that the production of Tesla battery produces carbon emissions equivalent to driving an internal-combustion vehicle for eight years—8.2, to be precise.

That's a sensational claim, one that's been seized upon by EV haters and gleefully posted by climate change-denying blogs and sites that despise electric cars. Just one problem: It's absolute nonsense.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/news/a27039/tesla-battery-emissions-study-fake-news/
12:38pm 30/07/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9467 posts
I've just seen the pricing for add-ons: $5k for basic autopilot?! WTF? That's like nearly AUD50k for a car that doesn't even have adaptive cruise control without spending another $6500. That's almost enough to make me cancel my reservation :/
06:00pm 30/07/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7680 posts
Why are you s***ting on Electric Cars Face. What are you a Saudi Oil Baron?
07:03pm 30/07/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7681 posts
07:17pm 30/07/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2110 posts
Electric cars are slightly less worse than petrol cars.

http://www.earthlymission.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/auto-gif-2.gif
07:26pm 30/07/17 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
10634 posts
The idiocy is turbo charged here.
lol for facebook as a source.

Redhat's post is lol ... Bikes! love em ... Brisbane is not flat, and people are not 2k from work they are 10-20k from work.

09:40pm 30/07/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11649 posts
heh that was pretty good spook, top kek
10:12pm 30/07/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4242 posts
Electric cars are slightly less worse than petrol cars.

kind of a backwards social acronym for a rail contractor being relevant in a very specific urban plan given the progress Hyperloop is making, which unfortunately for competition is also a Musky interest
12:27am 31/07/17 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
1097 posts
What progress is Hyperloop making except in terms of Hype?

The Hyperloop will not work. There's simply far too many physics and engineering problems they haven't addressed.
Even that so called "test" they did recently? It wasn't even done under a vacuum. You know, the whole point of the Hyperloop? They demonstrated that they can run a small maglev train for a short distance. That's it.

Look, I'm a big supporter of Musk's efforts, especially with SpaceX. The Tesla is cool as hell and I'd love to have one. But Hyperloop is rubbish.
09:21am 31/07/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9469 posts
Brisbane is not flat, and people are not 2k from work they are 10-20k from work.

What's your point? My ride is ~34km each way. It doesn't take any longer to ride in than to drive. Riding home takes a little longer than driving. I hear this BS argument all the time, the "whaaaa, it's too far, real people only ride 671cm, any longer isn't feasible".
10:06am 31/07/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2111 posts

Get an e-bike if hills are too much for you.

http://cyclingfallacies.com/en/7/its-too-hilly-here

Most car trips are less than 10km. Trips to the shops, school dropoffs etc, could all be made by active transport if society wanted to.

10:31am 31/07/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39092 posts
What's your point? My ride is ~34km each way.
Well the point is: is it up and down hills? Is it in the heat of a humid Brisbane summer? How much of it is through peak hour traffic or highways? etc. Conditions matter.

If I walk just 15 mins to the train station in BNE in summer from my parent's place before 8am - mostly downhill with some uphill - by the time I'm there I'm drenched in sweat.

Riders doing any significant distance in those conditions almost certainly need to take a change of clothes and shower at the other end, which is time that needs to be factored into the "it doesn't take any longer".

There are logistical issues for bike riding that don't exist for cars and to pretend otherwise is silly.

I think riding is awesome & more people should do it but telling people "haha you idiot just do what I do and bang out a 68km round trip in the middle of 35 degree 98% humidity weather dodging the kind of s***** driver you normally are, even though you probably having a ridden a bicycle since high school" is not exactly going to endear people to the cause of getting more people on bikes.

In related news I read something the other day about the growing number of electric scooters (can't remember where - China or Vietnam?). Getting the majority of people on our roads into scooters would be awesome.
06:21pm 31/07/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40716 posts
Most car trips are less than 10km. Trips to the shops, school dropoffs etc, could all be made by active transport if society wanted to.

lolz, redhat still hasnt worked out family life.

but yer, i currently ride 30k a day to get to and from work in Brisbane (with hills), and when i ride, im not f*****g around cuddling spiders riding (like redhat does).

i couldnt possibly ride wtihout showers, as i need to shower (and cool down for about 30 mins when i get to work)

people are just lazy and make excuses not to do things.

my work is moving to a 30k each way ride, the main issue here will be the time management getting to and form work and still being able to be a part of my family at home.
06:44pm 31/07/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39093 posts
^ maybe I'm reading you wrong but it sounds like you are presenting two conflicting viewpoints there - people are lazy & make excuses, except if they have families and have to do family s*** in which case that is a valid excuse?!

I think being lazy and making excuses about not riding is fine because people should be free to make their own choices. What's our goal here anyway? Everyone switching to electric cars isn't going to change the fact that driving is a s***** boring chore 99.9% of the time :D
07:56pm 31/07/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9471 posts
Uhhh, trog, it gets to over 40 degrees here with relative frequency. Also, with the shower thing - you were going to have a shower before leaving home (I hope) - so all you're doing is substituting it at the other end of the trip. And yes, I take my clothes in with me.

While yes - there are logistical issues - a large portion of the time people make excuses for logistical issues that can be easily overcome.

I took up riding in Feb 2007. I was doing an even longer commute by July 2007 - at the time 40+km each way.

Yes - there are *sometimes* valid reasons for not doing it. But the excuses some people use to get out of effort is laughable.
09:17pm 31/07/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12193 posts
Great article from Motor Trend:
The Tesla Model 3 is here, and it is the most important vehicle of the century.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/
09:42pm 31/07/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39094 posts
Uhhh, trog, it gets to over 40 degrees here with relative frequency
yeh man but!!! I think every Queenslander would agree Victorians have it easy in summer :P

Not saying it's not hot there too though. Just that for a lot of people having a shower at work is not an option + needs to be factored into the overhead of it as a method of transport.

FWIW I used to hang out with people in Ohio that would ride to work in the middle of winter - often -10C and snowing. Those dudes have it ROUGH. I rode to soccer a few times in winter (we only played if it there was no wind and it wasn't much below zero) and I fkn struggled going only a few km. No idea how they did it.

you were going to have a shower before leaving home (I hope)
maybe if you live in a state that has water falling from the skies all the time you can spare the water to have a shower in the morning AND in the evening. (I almost never shower in the morning)
Yes - there are *sometimes* valid reasons for not doing it. But the excuses some people use to get out of effort is laughable.
Maybe... I think a valid enough excuse is "I don't want to" though because we live in a free country & people can still do whatever they want.

I would rather not laugh at them and try to figure out ways to incentivise them more because obviously burning gas and sitting in traffic for 30-40 mins every day does not suck enough. For me by far the biggest thing is safety - I'm too scared to ride much on the roads. I haven't been game to ride at all in London because it is terrifying.
10:06pm 31/07/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21315 posts
Australia will never be some bike riding utopia.
07:54am 01/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40719 posts
yes it will, redhat really believes!

if only they could abolish mandatory helmet laws, erryone would ride and no one would ever get brain injuries
08:19am 01/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2112 posts

Australia will never be some bike riding utopia.

It could be, it just takes political will.

Imagine how much nicer driving would be if you reduced peak hour traffic by even just 10%?

Obesity, pollution and vehicular deaths could all be reduced.

Bogata in Columbia, I am pretty sure has more hills than brissy and is hot, yet they're doing more for active transport and have car free days.
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20130828-reclaiming-the-streets-in-bogata

Spook is so worried about his brain, yet he won't even wear a motoring helmet when he drives?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kSNVKrktKUQ/ShMeZQXvhLI/AAAAAAAADfw/sw7HueQ5azI/s400/Motoring Helmet 014.jpghttps://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2014/05/625526_397971763600256_638908149_n.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg
10:13am 01/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4244 posts
What progress is Hyperloop making except in terms of Hype?

i like to just assume s*** like they're quietly working with JR Central on a smaller version of that SCMaglev rail to fit inside the ~0 atomos tubes

realistically it's not going to change from heavy diesel rail to Hyperloop this side of 50 years, but where there is hope there is hype

nothing wrong with a turbofan on wheels hurtling down a vacuum tube, the video is even kind of eery i thought

last edited by trillion at 10:27:10 01/Aug/17

last edited by trillion at 10:27:31 01/Aug/17
10:25am 01/08/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23846 posts
Instead of absolute percentages, I think that chart would be more interesting if it was per capita, like number of cyclists that die from head injuries as a percentage of total cyclists, etc. I don't really care about the argument one way or the other, but that would be a more meaningful representation.

I support the idea of everyone riding bikes to work so that I can drive around with less traffic
11:27am 01/08/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9472 posts
Maybe... I think a valid enough excuse is "I don't want to" though because we live in a free country & people can still do whatever they want.

I would have a lot more respect for people if they simply said "I don't want to" instead of "It's too far", and similar BS excuses, and try to claim that what someone else does it not normal and shouldn't be considered reasonable. Just say what you really mean - you yourself simply can't be f***ed. Don't try to make it out like the other person achieving these feats is somehow an outlier.
11:40am 01/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21316 posts
It could be, it just takes political will.

yeah, nah
12:00pm 01/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2113 posts
yeah, nah

Are you the NSW roads minister?
02:41pm 01/08/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
25951 posts
This will be my next car.
02:52pm 01/08/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23848 posts
Just say what you really mean - you yourself simply can't be f***ed.

Or, he just doesn't want to. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other, why aren't people allowed to just prefer driving a car to riding a bike?
02:56pm 01/08/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9474 posts
Or, he just doesn't want to. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other, why aren't people allowed to just prefer driving a car to riding a bike?

That was my point - they are. But they try to make it out as being for excuse rather than just saying "I don't want to".
04:29pm 01/08/17 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
10636 posts
Give me that same graph in per KM traveled.

Bikes would be awesome in some flat high density city.

Also the bike culture in Australia is lycra wearing packs, not sensible dutch style. I want a freakin step through or Mixte with relaxed position if I am wearing a suit.

e.g. Gazelle Orange CX Nuvinci Hybrid M ... The dutch are bike tech kings

04:35pm 01/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12194 posts

Bloomberg Review:

Driving Tesla's Model 3 Changes Everything

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-31/driving-tesla-s-model-3-changes-everything
05:06pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39095 posts
Bogata in Columbia, I am pretty sure has more hills than brissy and is hot,
Bogota is at an altitude of like 498148 feet so is not that hot, but being at altitude has its own problems because of the thin air, I believe. I have a mate that moved to Bogota [edit: forgot to finish this sentence] and another friend went to visit him and went for a run on his first day and nearly wiped himself out because of the difference in altitude... I guess you get used to it though?

I would have a lot more respect for people if they simply said "I don't want to" instead of "It's too far", and similar BS excuses, and try to claim that what someone else does it not normal and shouldn't be considered reasonable. Just say what you really mean - you yourself simply can't be f***ed. Don't try to make it out like the other person achieving these feats is somehow an outlier.
I don't think "it's too far" is an unreasonable excuse at all. OBVIOUSLY there is some distance that would be too far even for you. That doesn't make it a BS excuse - it's just at some point it's not feasible because it takes a certain amount of time to ride.

I am reasonably fit and healthy but if someone told me I had to ride 30km even on a flat surface I'd be dreading the leg pain already
05:35pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39096 posts
Bloomberg article makes the car look cool. I really don't like the giant touchscreen approach though but I guess you get used to it quickly.
05:37pm 01/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40720 posts
i hate dutch cycling.

06:20pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4245 posts
yeah i'm almost done thinking about putting a reservation in on that web page

after all the other alternative's are the comma neo installed in a relatively narrow range of sedans, and it's still not one par with Tesla ota updates. probably because geohotz is more of a core hacker than a real company with service capacity all nicely integrated

last edited by trillion at 20:22:08 01/Aug/17
08:18pm 01/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2114 posts

Also the bike culture in Australia is lycra wearing packs, not sensible dutch style. I want a freakin step through or Mixte with relaxed position if I am wearing a suit.

I wear my suit on my 6km commute most days from may - oct. I just go slow and it takes less effort than walking.

I got a Dutch style bike after seeing what was doing in Amsterdam.

The new Reddy go bike share system here is awesome because you don't have to dock them. Took one from a client back to my office yesterday. A 20 minute walk was a 5 minute ride.
07:09am 02/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40722 posts
how many segments would you kom with this approach?
08:03am 02/08/17 Permalink
taggs
6498 posts
Lols hey let's turn a thread about a cool car into a pissing competition about DAE RIDE BIKEZ?

Well done redhat/raven.
09:34am 02/08/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9475 posts
Heyyyyyy! Obes started it! :P
10:29am 02/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21319 posts
Are you the NSW roads minister?

no just a realist person and also a civil engineer

Australia culture has not gone down that direction or even close to it so far, it just won't happen now.

sorry to burst your bubble
01:08pm 02/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2115 posts
Lols hey let's turn a thread about a cool car into a pissing competition about DAE RIDE BIKEZ?

Well done redhat/raven.

Can we talk about e-bikes?

When is that coming out from tesla?

no just a realist person and also a civil engineer Australia culture has not gone down that direction or even close to it so far, it just won't happen now. sorry to burst your bubble

It will happen out of necessity. It is only a matter of time as traffic continually gets worse. Building more roads doesn't solve anything in a large city.
05:09pm 02/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39102 posts
Does BNE (or Aus in general) have much in the way of publicly accessible charger infrastructure yet? It is not super common here in London (although where I live neither are gas stations), but there's at least a few charge points on the street & the local parking garage near one of the stations near me has a few charge points.

I feel like I see a lot more of it in Paris but it might be because of the areas I go to.
05:17pm 02/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40723 posts
yup, just announced that there will be charging stations brisbane/gold coast/sunshine coast and tbah!

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/findus#/bounds/-0.6911344,166.7429167,-51.6633232,100.0911072?search=supercharger&name=Australia

doesnt seem to have the tbah one yet, but its coming.
06:53pm 02/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12195 posts

Fixed that link for you Spook:

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/findus#/bounds/-0.6911344,166.7429167,-51.6633232,100.0911072?search=supercharger&name=Australia

Eighteen fast-charging charging stations will be installed around Queensland to create a "super highway" to allow electric vehicles to travel from the Gold Coast to Cairns.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-27/free-charging-stations-to-boost-queensland-electric-car-numbers/8748246
07:35pm 02/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39104 posts
F*****g awesome.

After living overseas for a couple years I have an even bigger appreciation for Queensland weather - I foresee a beautiful future of solar powered charging stations.
07:57pm 02/08/17 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
2582 posts
Elon Musk really sucks at presenting (this has been known for a while I guess) but it's really poor to say "congrats to the design team I enjoy working with you every week, you guys are amazing, nice work" awkward clapping. Can't even name the chief designer or mention any names in the team lmao.

To quote, "there are many elements of the design, its difficult to actually say what makes it good except to say we agonize over every curve and every detail blah blah" and then goes to talk about a simple design because everything will be autonomous so the focus isn't on the driving which is why there is a freaking 15 inch screen in the middle of the dashboard.

Feels like he just tells his team "hrmm, just put these photos and videos together and i'll talk about it" and he just rolls with the punches hahah, who am I to talk sitting behind a keyboard and monitor whilst he goes and does amazing things, just wish his prep was a little better.

They're still going to be expensive here, just more affordable than the S/X :[
08:42pm 02/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12196 posts
I loved it how he stuttered so obviously, classic Elon stutter, and everyone laughed and he laughed too. This was obviously a big moment, and yeah he did seem a bit unprepared. The jokes were funny but it paled in comparison to his recent TED talk, where he was on fire:

09:01pm 02/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12197 posts
Also from what I can assume, and what some people in the know have been saying (like Marques Brownlee), this was not the public launch of the Tesla Model 3. It was a company event that we had the privilege of viewing. That makes sense given that all the vehicles so far have gone to employees. So there may be a more polished presentation of the cars when they are ready for unaffiliated Tesla customers.
09:05pm 02/08/17 Permalink
taggs
6500 posts
Hah yeh fair enough raven
09:16pm 02/08/17 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
8300 posts
They're amazing cars - everyone order one and use my referral link

http://ts.la/joshua4129

Brisbane showroom is opening next Thursday eve!
08:36am 03/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21320 posts
It will happen out of necessity. It is only a matter of time as traffic continually gets worse. Building more roads doesn't solve anything in a large city.

nah they will just get more innovative with public transport
10:18am 03/08/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9476 posts
Yeah, I really wish Tesla would bring someone in who's great at public speaking to do their launches. There's a lot of good things we can say about what Elon Musk has done, but we need to be honest here, he's an absolutely terrible speaker/presenter, and he's not doing the company or products any favours by continuing to insist on being the front-man for product launches.
10:42am 03/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4247 posts
yeah trog the 12" touchscreen looks like something the designers in 2009 had as an impressive focal point for the first models of the S rather than something that would see continuing use throughout the next iterations
11:15am 03/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39107 posts
Yeah, I really wish Tesla would bring someone in who's great at public speaking to do their launches. There's a lot of good things we can say about what Elon Musk has done, but we need to be honest here, he's an absolutely terrible speaker/presenter, and he's not doing the company or products any favours by continuing to insist on being the front-man for product launches.
wat!! much better to have a slick marketroid get up there and do magic tricks?

I'd much rather have a nerd get up them and babble their way through the presentation because their genuine enthusiasm for what they're doing is likely to mean they can't shut up about things that are genuinely interesting that might not come up in a normal presentation!

I stopped watching these things anyway about a year ago because I found I was spending like 2 hours watching (say) the Apple conference and all I'd get out of it was the information that would be summarised neatly in a few press releases at the same time.
05:13pm 03/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7684 posts

Lovely clean air in Oslo

last edited by sLaps_Forehead at 20:43:24 03/Aug/17
08:41pm 03/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39109 posts
Is the Nissan Leaf available in .au yet? They seem to get an excellent rap every time they come up in electric car convos in the USA

edit: doesn't look like it from the nissan website :(
10:08pm 03/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12198 posts
Like a lot of EVs from other companies, the range is terrible trog.
The official EPA range for the 2016 Leaf with the 30 kWh battery is 172 km (107 miles), while the range for Leaf with the smaller 24 kWh is 135 km (84 miles), the same as the 2014/15 model year.
10:38pm 03/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39110 posts
That range would have covered 99% of my driving trips by number of trips :D

edit: is there a Chevrolet Volt equivalent in Australia yet? i.e., something that is battery powered and then has an ICE for recharging when the battery is out?
10:39pm 03/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4248 posts
I stopped watching these things anyway about a year ago because I found I was spending like 2 hours watching (say) the Apple conference and all I'd get out of it was the information that would be summarised neatly in a few press releases at the same time.

this has always kind of been the way in tech or to a lesser extent in attending medical conferences because of the value of information and the career importance is nominal to the relatively very high cost of entry

tech launches are mostly about the product since Jobs but the info pro's are usually still there if it's big enough diligently propagating the summary, it's not all about the indulgence of the buzz of being there live but it's nice to be
12:14am 04/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7685 posts
Trog, the current Leaf is rubbish because it has an unreliable passive cooling system for its rather limited range. Batteries like to be in a certain temperature range and there have been reports that in extremely hot areas the battery range drops abnormally. There was quite a few Leaf's that suffered this problem in Arizona. Its not uncommon for early model Leafs to have a much lower capacity than when new. They have lost a few bars on the battery gauge that not matter how long you recharge it for it will never hold the same amount of power again with out having the battery replaced or repacked.

The Tesla battery system has a far superior chemistry and liquid cooling system. That's not to say it is perfect as there has been a few packs that have ignited after the car has been involved in an accident.

Here's hoping that Nissan gets its s*** together for the next gen Leaf.

12:50am 04/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39111 posts
^^ interesting stuff thanks. Yeh I guess if they don't do well in heat they're not going to be great in BNE.
12:51am 04/08/17 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12241 posts

Lovely clean air in Oslo
Pretty cool. Over here you just know some prick would steal your power cable while you were charging.
08:54am 04/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4249 posts
they really do need something like a recharching near field contact pad that you park the car over to recharge it

there must be some kind of current and scaling issue with the specific battery chemistry in them that they need plugging in for, but it would be cool
10:30am 04/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40725 posts
they really do need something like a recharching near field contact pad that you park the car over to recharge it

yar, i was jokingly saying that to old mate at work.

works for mobiles, so i guess it could work for cars.
10:52am 04/08/17 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
8302 posts

There's a few companies doing it already

https://www.pluglesspower.com/shop/reserve-tesla-model-s/

11:22am 04/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39115 posts
Hmm - I would have thought the transmission losses for a solution like that would be too great for the sort of power you're throwing into car batteries though? For a phone you don't care because it costs fractions of a cent to charge a phone so even a lot of waste is going to cost basically nothing.

edit: quick search indicates the wireless loss is about 10%, so not toooo bad, but it would probably add up if your electricity is pricey. If you're mostly solar though it'd be pretty awesome to use tho.

I prefer the robot recharging arm:

08:10pm 04/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4252 posts
ya trog it's a good one from yonks ago

all it's missing is now Boston Dynamics' BigDog rocking up with a charging pack and plugging it's leg or tail into the charge port
09:37am 05/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7686 posts
Very Nice

10:45pm 05/08/17 Permalink
Furgle
1102 posts

I'm late to the party.

Here's my car (I sold my camaro and bought this instead)

http://i.imgur.com/AHj1h6O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/A4XEc7V.jpg

(I may have been a little tipsy when I bought the black plates)

last edited by Furgle at 20:17:56 06/Aug/17
08:15pm 06/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4255 posts
balla

you did'nt get the pano roof?
08:56pm 06/08/17 Permalink
Furgle
1103 posts
It's panoramic. The car has every option installed.

No idea why my son has ear-muffs on, I guess he didn't like my music.

http://i.imgur.com/r8CBFpX.jpg

last edited by Furgle at 21:07:53 06/Aug/17
09:04pm 06/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12199 posts
fully sik
12:27am 07/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4257 posts
probably my musics

probably

02:36am 07/08/17 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
8303 posts
Furgle, how is it with kids seats in it?

I have a MS too, and we're expecting in Feb!
09:58am 07/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4258 posts
imo they should have made it a cherrier red hey, seen one on the road in the full bright morning light and it's a very panotone red

look's mint in the rear shot with that postfx on it though
10:12am 07/08/17 Permalink
Furgle
1104 posts
Furgle, how is it with kids seats in it?

I have a MS too, and we're expecting in Feb!

Plenty of room. Still rear facing at 3.5 years old. His car seat is huge.
10:23am 07/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4259 posts
the bigger ones are more comfy. so much easier for them to go sleepy in

good quality transport experience right thur
01:28pm 07/08/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9477 posts
I don't want the panoramic roof in my Model 3 - the cost of replacing a chip in that thing would be astronomical.
02:45pm 07/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12200 posts
How do you replace a chip? :)
05:42pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39122 posts
imo they should have made it a cherrier red hey, seen one on the road in the full bright morning light and it's a very panotone red

look's mint in the rear shot with that postfx on it though
I was actually thinking how much I liked that colour!

super nice looking car. That looks like an 85D from the badge, but from a quick look at Tesla site they don't sell those any more? it's not 75 / 100?
10:23pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4263 posts
they're a 2015 model trog and have since been discontinued around Feb 2016 because of the different battery tech now pumped out from Gigafactory and the reduction of the powertrains to 75 and 100 Kw juicebox variants

Furgle's likely to have done a private import or a dealio on Carsales or whatever for the P85D

the red is alright hey but since at least the early 90's it's been commonly procured as a demo coat for dealer showroom units, which you may have heard the term 'red goes faster' as leans into somewhat with regards to sales
02:53am 08/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7688 posts
08:17am 08/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4264 posts
cherry picking a journalistic correlation for a specific material hey slaps?

here's another one for your collection

https://www.wired.com/2016/01/apple-and-microsoft-may-use-cobalt-dug-by-kids-report-says/
11:13am 08/08/17 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12201 posts

The Brisbane Tesla store and service centre opens tomorrow, at Homemaker in Fortitude Valley. I thought they were opening today and marched inside with a mate of mine, then they politely informed us that they were closed and would be opening tomorrow. I was not allowed to take any photos unfortunately, but it was very impressive. So clean.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/08/teslas-first-queensland-store-is-now-open/

Brisbane's Lord Mayor Graham Quirk cut the ribbon then took the SUV Model X for a quick spin.

Like in the Melbourne and Sydney stores, you'll be able to check out customisation options for the cars, as well as Tesla's Powerwall and Solar Panels.

The Brisbane Supercharger opening completes the route from Ballarat, Victoria to Brisbane – with a Supercharger in Gympie planned for later this year.

09:17pm 10/08/17 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
8304 posts
Yeah I was at the opening last night, half expecting Elon to be there cause he was down the Gold Coast yesterday.

Interestingly didn't show though!
11:40am 11/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4274 posts
he's probably been to several already, no big deal for a regional inclusion city like Brisbane

plus he was probably warned how weird Quirky is and so steered clear of it
12:24pm 11/08/17 Permalink
cnnnnnn
Other International
1 posts

scrub to 4m 27s

last edited by cnnnnnn at 12:46:37 11/Aug/17
12:45pm 11/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11662 posts
Remember the last time we had a local politician involved in an alternative-fuelled car?

08:03pm 11/08/17 Permalink
cnnnnnn
Other International
2 posts
yeah look, it's not real science based fusion in the same way something like a stellarator is. that's little more than what later became a Hollywood inspired link to establishing fact based on little more than circumstantial evidence and human gullibility

the real problem is that the incumbent internal combustion manufacturer market aren't willing or are unable to take the same risks as a company like Tesla with their humanity saving CEO on point at every publicity event

so with the private consumer transport market now controlled mostly by consumer influence in advertising and marketing, there's relatively very low interest in such a paradigm shift to an electric vehicle notwithstanding because of the repair and support industry that is also somewhat non existent

it's just not crackpot science with this product, and that's the key difference to your Rod Young narrated clippy. speaking of which how good has Seven Wests' management selection of Gilding and Auden been, perfect public facing news anchors for the millennial card
08:28pm 11/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40750 posts
lolz hardware, classic joh
08:39pm 11/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11663 posts
so with the private consumer transport market now controlled mostly by consumer influence in advertising and marketing
Wow, this is refreshing. A two-post wonder with some actual truth bombs.

Spot on. People don't know what they want. People are utter dumb-butts when it comes to cars. See: SUVs. Diesels. 'Capped price' servicing (only $390 for a basic oil change!! bargain!!). 'Leather' seats (21st century vinyl). Yum-Cha tyres on nice cars. 18, 19" wheels - 'what ride quality? it's "sporty"'. Start-stop idle to save 3c of fuel - but take forever to get off from the lights. Headrests that push into the back of your head constantly.

The only thing dumber than most new cars are their buyers.
08:59pm 11/08/17 Permalink
cnnnnnn
Other International
3 posts
i doubt very much that's it's to do with consumer confidence or intelligence than it is to do with cultural aspects like Top Gear or motoring journalism

the advertising reaches and connects into psychological aspects of ownership and identity like family and tradition

last edited by cnnnnnn at 21:13:25 11/Aug/17

last edited by cnnnnnn at 21:15:54 11/Aug/17
09:11pm 11/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7690 posts
... and sexuality

According to modern car journalism, you are not a real man unless you drive a v8 bogan chariot or a dmax ute.

Hybrids and Ev's are for limp wristed hair dressers
11:26am 12/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40751 posts
Spot on. People don't know what they want. People are utter dumb-butts when it comes to cars. See: SUVs. Diesels. 'Capped price' servicing (only $390 for a basic oil change!! bargain!!). 'Leather' seats (21st century vinyl). Yum-Cha tyres on nice cars. 18, 19" wheels - 'what ride quality? it's "sporty"'. Start-stop idle to save 3c of fuel - but take forever to get off from the lights. Headrests that push into the back of your head constantly.

huh? i love my diesel with leather seats.

awesome to drive, good value and comfortable all year round.

large wheels look good, end of story.
11:33am 12/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4276 posts
I love V8’s and have driven some scary fast ones, I just have never been able to even begin to consider affording one
01:39pm 12/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40752 posts
but they are dinosaur engine design :(
01:47pm 12/08/17 Permalink
cnnnnnn
Other International
5 posts
not the dinosaur daddy :(
04:07pm 12/08/17 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1928 posts
Edit: was late with the link to the opening of the brisbane dealership.

If I rocked up for a test drive and they thought I was too poor to buy one would they turn me away?
04:15pm 12/08/17 Permalink
cnnnnnn
Other International
6 posts
have you read the stories then?

they wouldn't even let people sit in it when they had a grey Model S in the Carindale Westfield a few years back
04:37pm 12/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39132 posts
but, presumably, whatever your car preferences are are not "dumb-butt" and yours is the One True Religion!?!

man I can't wait for car automation to destroy the car market and it rightfully becomes the robot provided commodity service it should be. The one thing I am not looking forward to moving back to Australia about is seeing how long I can avoid living without a car to get around. I haven't had a car for almost 4 years (even survived 2 years in the USA without one) but I feel like it's a tough slog in BNE.
06:06pm 12/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40754 posts
just ride a bike? brisbane is awesome for riding a bike.

i hate public transport and wouldnt touch it with a 10ft pole.

quite happy to do 99% of my commutes on my biek. love taking the family out for a bike ride too.
06:15pm 12/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39134 posts
yeh I will probably get into bikes. The one thing I want to do more than anything is go to the beach though and that will be hard to do on a bike :D
06:20pm 12/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40755 posts
put your bike on the train/live at the coast/ride to and from the coast like i do
06:53pm 12/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39136 posts
Where do you ride from? Robena? How long does that take? I guess it's pretty flat the whole way
06:57pm 12/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40756 posts
salisburg in brisbane, its a 190k round trip!
07:03pm 12/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4277 posts
riding is good for maybe 5 to 8 months of the year

what about when it's raining Spook? are you that unstoppable?

the best i've managed to work up to was a 70km 3hr round trip out to Hangar 3 and back on my 29er

early Sunday morning at like 1am to dawn is the best
07:10pm 12/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39137 posts
salisburg in brisbane, its a 190k round trip!
actually I just realised I can't do that because I need to stop at Yatala on the way
07:15pm 12/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40757 posts
i ride in the rain, but yer, i can dig its not for everyone.
07:17pm 12/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7692 posts
08:55pm 12/08/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23865 posts
they wouldn't even let people sit in it when they had a grey Model S in the Carindale Westfield a few years back

They had a couple at Garden City when I was there today, a Model S and some kind of six seater family wagon, and they seemed to be pretty happy to have people sitting in them and poking around inside, so maybe they've lightened up a bit
02:27am 13/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2126 posts
i ride in the rain, but yer, i can dig its not for everyone.

I like riding in the rain better than public transport/walking in the rain. You have a nice warm shower at the other end. All nice and dry.

My pant legs always get wet walking in the rain and if you're not rocking boots your shoes are likely to be a little damp.
04:45pm 13/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40758 posts
get a better job bro.

its like you dont even embrace cycling as a life choice.
05:02pm 13/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4278 posts
you can't rock boots with clip on's though, so what's the point in riding in the rain?
07:21pm 13/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21331 posts

lols hardware still angry people stopped buying the falcon that ford stopped doing anything innovative with like 20 years ago

i don't see any problem in anything you listed there apart from projecting your own butt hurt on to each little piece

stop-start in my cx-9 doesn't see me get off the line any slower than any other car, the engine is on in the time my foot goes from the brake to the accelerator and i am a a past hoon so i don't f*** around.

not even sure what point you are trying to make about leather? just a bit of butt hurt there i think

19's on a SUV are fine as they are still generally using a 60 profile tyre so there is plenty of tyre wall, maybe you are talking about suspension? that just comes down to each manufacturer

i literally have no idea what you are talking about regarding the headrests, just more rubbish
12:53pm 14/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40762 posts
lolz, pretty much.

pinnacle of car technology is lpg falcon rolling on 16's
01:17pm 14/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7693 posts
08:31pm 14/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39142 posts
^ neat. 30% efficiency improvement is massive if they can do it outside of the lab. That will make it super competitive against hybrids right, in terms of l/km?
08:58pm 14/08/17 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7694 posts
^ It sounds as though it will work better on the highway.

Hybrid would still be the efficiency king in stop-start city traffic.

I'm wondering how reliable this new high compression system would be?
09:04pm 14/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2129 posts
Had a look at the video without sound, digging the lean as f*** ratio.
11:51am 16/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4282 posts
apart from the comp ratios and better fuel economony of hcci. isn't the opoc model still the better design?

01:38pm 16/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11665 posts
stop-start in my cx-9 doesn't see me get off the line any slower than any other car, the engine is on in the time my foot goes from the brake to the accelerator and i am a a past hoon so i don't f*** around. not even sure what point you are trying to make about leather? just a bit of butt hurt there i think 19's on a SUV are fine as they are still generally using a 60 profile tyre so there is plenty of tyre wall, maybe you are talking about suspension? that just comes down to each manufacturer i literally have no idea what you are talking about regarding the headrests, just more rubbish

stop-start: each company's version is different, and i was disappointed the other day driving a hyundai i40 and how long it took for me to actually go after i had gotten my foot over to the accellerator. it was dumb.
leather: good leather is good. Most leather seats i've sat in lately (x-trail, i30, benz C200) have had bloody awful leather that's as slippery as a toad, scalds the backs of your legs after half hour in the queensland sun, and has all the suppleness of datsun vinyl.
19's: on an SUV are fine. 19's on a ford focus or mazda 3 are not. Every. Bloody. Bump. On. The. Road.
headrests: i have driven a number of cars now whose headrests have pushed my head forward. I don't mind the headrest being only 1cm from my head, but i hate when it pushes my head forward. Don't just take my word for it, on the ford focus st forums and hyundai tucson forums there's leagues of people complaining about(and modifying!) their headrests. forbes link
02:09pm 16/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11667 posts
ooh that video i posted of the first hydrogen car in qld has been taken down

oooOOOoOoOOooOooooo
04:14pm 21/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21341 posts
Ok some of that makes more sense as you only took aim at suv's in your other post

Anything relating to hyundai's doesn't surprise me 🙂

I made a mistake the cx9 has 20's but they look like 18's because they have a 50 profile size and the car is so big, but it is an all round comfy car

19's on hatches is usually a sport model thing, but when i was looking at ST focus's i think they had 18's stock, the mazda 3 mps only got to 18's i don't think the top models now are coming with 19's for that reason, the tyre profile gets too thin

The focus RS probably comes with 19's but the suspension in one of those would be stiff as anyway, but you don't buy one of those for a comfort ride.

Does the veloster come with 19's? Lols
05:05pm 21/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40780 posts
hyundai's make f*****g excellent cars. (so do Kia these days)

those korean's have got it going on in the car manufacturing world.
05:29pm 21/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4293 posts
Does the veloster come with 19's? Lols

nope 18's as standard

the only 19's exception you might find is the Golf GTI
06:19pm 21/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11668 posts
I made a mistake the cx9 has 20's but they look like 18's because they have a 50 profile size and the car is so big, but it is an all round comfy car
Oh for sure it's a comfy car, that's why all the 'salt-and-pepper-moustache' brigade drive them
09:31pm 21/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39149 posts
Tesla Model X P100D Ludicrous sets World Record vs Lamborghini Aventador SV Drag Racing 1/4 Mile

Skip to 2:15 for the race. TLDR: X just beats it but the Lambo was going to overtake at that point

03:58am 24/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4297 posts
he doesn't really mention anything about the gearing curves at the time in the aventador though, whether it's tuned for track racing or onroad or actually drag

if the gearboxes were the same in both it would be more interesting. not much is going to beat the direct drive and torque of those things
04:14am 24/08/17 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
5123 posts
F*****g Lambo jumps the start by a good margin on that second run. F*****g cheater. lol On closer look. The Lambo jumps first, but doesn't cross the start beam prior to the green. The Tesla driver was just plain slower in his reaction time and got jumped.
10:03am 24/08/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:03am 24/08/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.